niivozombie

Any vk vocalist that also plays instruments live?

This question just came up to me while I was cooking (i know), why aren't there any vk bands whose vocalist also plays guitar/bass or any instrument while singing? You know, like a lot of western bands.

I even have a hard time of coming up with vk singers who play any instrument at all! They are more willing to do choreographies than picking up a music triangle. The only one of who I can think of is Gackt playing piano during Malice Mizer lives.

Show from A9 plays guitar during some songs.

Chisa from DIV plays '65 Jazzmaster (Beautiful guitar)

Takeru from SuG plays guitar during some songs.

Many play pianos, like Keiyuu from Kra.

AKi plays bass.

Miyavi.

Hyde

Hide

And other solo or side projects etc... Then there are member switches and collab projects.

Just off the top of my head.

Hard to be 'visual' and as active if you always have an instrument, also a lot of fan interaction and call response type stuff, and many bands are on the melodic side rather than rhythm based. Hard to play anything other than simple stuff while singing a tight song. Three piece bands also aren't as common in Visual Kei, which usually derive from different styles of music.

Most good vocal only frontmen from different areas of music use a style that would be lost if they always had to hold an instrument.

I can't imagine Kyo from deg, TMR, Mao, or Mick Jagger, etc... always holding a guitar.

Heh, didn't take Miyavi or hide really into account, don't know why.

Most good vocal only frontmen from different areas of music use a style that would be lost if they always had to hold an instrument.
I can't imagine Kyo from deg, TMR, Mao, or Mick Jagger, etc... always holding a guitar.

I don't think of Jagger as a great singer, but I too think most of the greatest singers can perform better without holding an instrument.

yuuki (jinkaku radio vox+guitar)

ruki (vox+guitar during cassis LOLOL)

yuu  (NEGA: piano+drums)

aie (the god and death stars: vox+guitar)

im pretty sure takumi (sukekiyo) does guitar+synth live

^you beat me emmny, i was gonna mention yuuki too haha.

since you're also a plastic tree fan you obviously know that ryutarou plays guitar live.

chiaki from dezert played the guitar for a few songs when i saw them live too.

I wasn't sure if you only meant live (in which case, I'm not 100% sure), but Yeti's vocalist (ex-Aicle) plays guitar, which you can see in their PVs

Yeah, I meant only live. If figure there a lot of vocalists who play instruments as well, but live is serious busines!

since you're also a plastic tree fan you obviously know that ryutarou plays guitar live.

aw crap, first I forget about hide and miyavi, and now ryutaro...

although, I didn't thought of those two first ones, because you know, guitarrists going on a solo career is kinda different. I didn't think of Sugizo or Inoran either.

Hyde plays sax, harmonica, guitar and some percussion too during certain L'Arc lives

Atsushi Sakurai from BT played some sax during certain, rare occasions (he was the original drummer for BT btw)

Ryuichi from Luna Sea plays some guitar during his solo lives

Kiyoharu obviously enough plays guitar as well

Full from Guniw Tools has a large variety of his own DIY instruments during Shilfee lives (for instance)

Kamijo played some guitar during early/major days of Lareine (e.g. contributing additional acoustic guitars to Emeraude during lives)

...guess that's all I know

I noticed that unless it's somebody's solo project, they normally don't (whoever could play an instrument in the first place).

To add to the list: Ryutaro from Plastic Tree and Ryoji from Gyze (that counts right?).

Tatsurou of Mucc plays the Harmonica during lives (kinda happy to see it wasn't just some flashy part for the kokoro no nai machi video)

Not VK but Yojiro from Radwimps plays guitar and piano live, although I believe he couldn't on a recent tour after "breaking his hand from practicing the kame-hame-ha" 

I wasn't sure if you only meant live (in which case, I'm not 100% sure), but Yeti's vocalist (ex-Aicle) plays guitar, which you can see in their PVs

he plays live too unless something changed when they quit VK lolol

My thoughts were Yuya from DOF and Satoshi from Yeti as well.

Hana Shounen Baddies' Baku played guitar for a couple songs. However, I don't quite remember if he does for very berry (I haven't seen them in a year lol).

Cradle's Reno played guitar for a couple songs live too as well.

XAA-XAA's Kazuki plays tambourine for one song lololol

ADAPTER。's Fukusuke plays guitar, theremin, and deals with his DJ equpiment. 

Dacco has a song where both Lida and Yura-sama play guitars.

Souiumono's SACCI has played guitar on rare occasion as well but he admittedly can't sing while playing lol So it just turns into an instrumental thing when he does.

N@H's yukkie played guitar and sang.

that's all I can really think of off the top of my head.

These are from right on top of my head, all of these are old farty VK bands:

• Sister's No Future - Dynamite Tommy from time to time played guitar, especially during the early era stuff.  I'm pretty sure Kenzi sang on some songs and played drums, but I can't remember for sure as I try not to listen to SNF if I can. 
  • Color - The band was known for the members switching what instrument they played during some songs. 
  • Decameron - When the band had only four members, Naoki often played guitar.
  • Ladies Room - Hyaku sometimes played guitar live if the song called for it.
  • Tokyo Yankees - This is a post-VK era one, but after Ume died, Yoshinuma (the bassist after Ami left) took over the singing parts.
  • BY-SEX/Zigzo - Before BY-SEX became Zigzo, Ryo did all of the singing while playing guitar.  After they became Zigzo, Tetsu plays guitar as well as sing.