Sign in to follow this  
Tetora

Tetora`s Favorites of 2015

Hello,

Here is my list of favorites for 2015, separated into format, then split into a new ranking system that expresses just how much I enjoyed the release. The releases are all listed in order descending down to my absolute favorites of the year. I hope that the list expresses my personal pleasure from the release, and does not seek to rate releases and artist`s against each other in a material way. Please note that I narrowed down the list, and that there are many other works which I enjoyed throughout the year as well.

SINGLES:

COOL!

Smileberry – NO MORE CRY

QFCV-20007.jpg?v=1

A new band filling in the drought of upbeat kawaii some have been feeling. They pull it off without sounding too derivative or forced.

LEZARD –かくれん

img_disco_jk_kakurenbo_tsujo.jpg

It took a little while to take to this band, but they have been growing on me with a fun lighter approach that can get more serious when needed.

nue – サイレ

siren.jpg

Definitely a band putting extra ingredients into their recipe. All sorts of sounds get mixed together from 90`s Visual, New Wave, etc… Pretty cool.

摩天楼オペラ – ether

KICM-1588.jpg?v=1

Has one of their more rocking B-Sides in a with an old-school guitar lick that I love to put on replay. Distinct track mix that is very well done.

RUVISH – ATOMIC MIRROR

BDBX-28B.jpg?v=1

Catchy and melodic, they have changed a bit but still put out some nice tracks.

テキーラ東– Kung-Fu Lady

YZPS-5020.jpg?v=1

A very original side project with a very different lead track, and the signature Kra huge potential that sadly doesn`t get as far as their skill would seem to deserve.

Neverland – HumaNOISE, Heart sleep

PCM-164B.jpg?v=1

PCM-172A.jpg?v=1

Another band that has changed quite a bit, but I enjoy their different sounds.

Milia∞ - innocence

cover.jpg

Very nice, strong melodies, and a great atmosphere.

CRAZY!

R SHITEI –サドマゾ

SDR-278B.jpg?v=1

Have been getting more and more into this band. Very popular despite being quite dark and heavy, although they do mix in softer moments unexpectedly, like in this single.

Moran –夜明けを前に

cover.jpg

Another great release, perhaps their final one.

Blu-BiLLioN -  Refrain / 心灯-こころび-, Resonance-共鳴- / モノクロの花

RSCD-203.jpg?v=1

RSCD-179.jpg?v=1

This band has definitely been killing it and has gotten very popular. Not what I typically listen to but they definitely broke down that barrier and became one of my favorites with high-pitched songs containing vivid lyrics and storytelling.

UVERworld – I LOVE THE WORLD,  僕の言葉ではない これは僕達の言葉

SRCL-8897.jpg?v=1

SRCL-8801.jpg?v=1

Rocking singles that are a lot of fun to listen to. A slightly different sound than their previous work but they pull it off well.

SID – 漂流

KSCL-2641.jpg?v=2

Another great SID single, as expected.

MEJIBRAY – 盈虧

DAKWSG-62.jpg?v=3

They have really been mixing it up lately, some like it, some don`t. I really liked the dark and low-fi sound of this one.

SMOKIN` SICK STYLE!!!

DOG inTheパラレルワールドオーケストラ メテオライト

RSCD-193.jpg?v=1

DOG played it somewhat safe this year after killing it last year. Another great single with slight play on their signature sound keeping it fresh.

少年記 – WEAKNESS_MY BLOOD, ココロモンスター

CCR-16.jpg?v=1

DAKCCRB-11.jpg?v=1

One of the stand-out band`s in recent times. They have been following a formula yet still make everything sound fresh, and exciting. Again, great melodies, a pop element that doesn`t compromise their rock sound, and amazing work overall.

ユナイト マーブル

DCCL-179.jpg?v=1

The B-Sides really are what I love and long for the most from this band. One of the most killer tracks of the year from LiN, and great performances all around.

WING WORKS – RAVVE OF MY TRINITY

DDCZ-2020.jpg?v=1

Title track is an absolute blast to listen to. This is the kind of energy that I can always appreciate. This single put him near the top of my watch-list.

Royz – THE BEGINNING

BPRVD-171.jpg?v=3

A bit of a different almost Codomo sound here for another solid Royz release bringing what I really like about them, attitude.

己龍/Royz/コドモドラゴン - FAMILY PARTY

BPRVD-183.jpg?v=2

A budget-buster, but absolutely worth it. Absolutely epic release with tons of great tracks and one of the funnest tracks of the year as its center-piece. Really shows how great the bands are and why they are taking over.

Purple Stone -アオイヤミ

DAKCCRB-13.jpg?v=1

My favorite release by them. It`s catchy and it rocks. Break The World is just too sweet.

NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST - PROVIDENCE

DAKNCBL-16.jpg?v=1

At their best with their great mix of Visual and Heavy elements creating something that is harsh and holds your attention throughout.

ALSDEAD – INAZUMA

DCCL-182.jpg?v=1

Perhaps the farewell by an amazing band that left behind quite a discography. One of the best storyteller`s in terms of lyrics, and a great band behind him, with another standout in guitar work.

SuG – SICK`S,  teenAge dream/Luv it!!

PCCA-4310.jpg?v=1

PCCA-4243.jpg?v=2

Some of the deepest and well written singles. This band has been bringing it for a long time now. One of a kind for sure. Every track is different, but no matter the style or how many things they have going on, they just seem to `get it`.

DIV - イケナイKISS

DAKDCCSG-2.jpg?v=2

Mind-blowing single in terms of sound, approach, delivery, etc… I just have to put it at the top of my list for the feeling I get each time I listen to this single.

MINI-ALBUM`S

MORRIGAN - ブラック・ルシアン

tumblr_nwqiahsR6V1qlvugzo1_500.png

Very interesting, darker band. What I like most is the atmosphere they create.

umbrella -キネマトグラフ

DAKDCCA-58.jpg?v=1

Really loved the emotion coming from this single, the longing that was projected throughout.

nue – mother

SWNE-2.jpg?v=1

As I said before, nue really mixes it up and this release shows that. Very different tracks to explore, and a very melancholy sound.

My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND – MIMIC

68220150307002651.jpg

The youthful feeling I got from this band was something I really enjoyed. They had a different approach to their sound which was very interesting. All of their releases were great.

ムック– T.R.E.N.D.Y. -Paradise from 1997-

AICL-2896.jpg?v=1

Amazingly well made mini from them. Track after track has that now signature MuCC `different` feeling about it, and they pulled it all off very well. The tracks feel a lot less linear on this one, and it`s a pleasure to listen to.

DIAWOLF – Rebellion, Turbulence

DIAR-1.jpg?v=1

DIAR-2.jpg?v=1

Really love them. Very experimental, without sounding like they are `just experimenting`. I already feel like they have such a deep and varied library after just two releases. A stand-out is definitely Show`s lyrics, which feel much more real and emotional than his other work in recent years.

BORN –オルタナティヴ・タランチュラ

DAKPSIS-50039.jpg?v=1

Their most complex release. They really went somewhere else with this one, while still being able to have some moments of classic heavy BORN. They did a lot of things I didn`t know they could, and have become one of the most exciting bands for me to hear new material from. Overall a very cohesive release with lots of greats moments in each track that I keep going back to.

ALBUM`S

COOL!

LOG-ログ- – Re:TRAGRAS-リトラグラス-

BPRVD-181.jpg?v=1

A great, higher pitched release somewhat down the street from Blu-Billion.

R指定少女喪失-syojosoushitsu-

SDR-287C.jpg?v=1

A really deep and enjoyable album. I was surprised by this.

The GazettE – DOGMA

SRCL-8893.jpg?v=1

To me this was the comeback of Gazette I had been waiting for, they got back to a place where I could finally be excited to hear new things from them. A well thought-out album that feels like it was conceived as such, instead of being a compilation of songs or singles.

CRAZY!

AKi – ARISE, EPHEMERAL

NEODAI-7449.jpg?v=1

NEODAI-10443.jpg?v=1

He came out with a stripped down sound and youthful approach that some might not expect, and not everybody will enjoy. I personally loved it. Simple and fun.

FAR EAST DIZAIN – TONICK DIZAIN

NEODAI-9831.jpg?v=1

This album definitely rocks. Some great lyrics, interesting guitar work that goes very low on the spectrum, and some rocking songs like The War Went On and Blank Space.

Blu-BiLLioN – GENESIS

RSCD-188.jpg?v=1

A great album by them. You really feel plugged in to what the vocalist is feeling.

DIV – SECRET

DCCL-175.jpg?v=1

Okay, I didn`t appreciate that there were barely any new songs, and no killer tracks like DIV is more than capable of, but I still have to admit it is a great album if you take a step back and look at it.

コドモドラゴン下克上。

BPRVD-176.jpg?v=2

A heavier release that does not contain as many catchy moments as their first album, but is still great altogether. It may be more of a grower than an instant turn-on. If you just let it play, you start to get the feel of it.

SMOKIN` SICK STYLE!!!

Develop One`s Faculties - reincarnation

DOF-6.jpg?v=1

Definitely one of the break-through`s of the year. A resurgence of the classic `band-playing` feel, great vocals, and songs that leave a strong impression.

vistlip – LAYOUT

MJSA-1152.jpg?v=2

Great album with emotion and delivery. The feeling is one of a kind.

Kra – 次の物語

YZPS-10012.jpg?v=1

Their most cohesive release in a little while. Not quite as rocking as some would wish, but still great altogether. If you are a fan, it contains great moments, though leaves you wanting more (like more guitar!).

BORN – LIVE THE STALIN

live-the-stalin-cd-dvd-limited-edition-4

Possibly the most rocking release of the year for me, they absolutely kill it live, and you have to appreciate how he can still pull off his vast array of voicings in a hectic live show. If you really enjoy the head-banging element of BORN the live songs almost outperform their studio versions.

BAROQUE – PLANETARY SECRET

SFCD-155.jpg?v=1

A new direction that really left an impression on me. Swallow The Night is one of my favorite songs, and the awesome guitar always pops into my mind making me listen to it again and again.

DOG inTheパラレルワールドオーケストラパラドッグス

RSCD-174.jpg?v=1

They went in a different direction as well with this one, creating an album based on their past, present and future.

ユナイ – UNiVERSE

DCCL-188.jpg?v=1

The grower of the year for me. At first I was very disappointed by this, but after a long time, I started to appreciate it more, and can now see it as a great album. Hard to explain, but the band creates huge expectations, though this does definitely deliver once you get over the fact that not every song is wild ride through UNiTE-ville.

SuG – BLACK

PCCA-4157.jpg?v=3

For me this is the greatest release of the year, and one of the most well-made albums I have ever heard. I have always loved a deep tonic sound mastered to cover the full spectrum, creating a sonic environment that is rich in detail and a pleasure to sit back and listen to, examining the different parts. The song-writing is amazing, at times taking elements from their influences, and making them their own, and at times creating their own completely fresh sound. Every track is great, every member performs the best that they ever have, and everything is so different yet it all fits together into one amazing album that gets better with every listen.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

I couldn`t fit everything into my main list, and I can`t fit everything here either but here are some:

BugLug (changed a lot but I still enjoy some), Chanty, Xaa Xaa, Clowd, Anfil, Plastic Tree, Arlequin, Dead Children, Deviloof (they look cool), Pentagon, Ronocro (R.I.P.), My Fairytail, Panorama Kyoko etc, Loud Grape, Liraizo, Unrealistic, The Mortal, Jupiter.

Also, I didn`t include any live-limited.

Favorite Vocalist: Takeru from SuG

Favorite Guitarist : Taizo from Kra (And favorite solo from雨に唄えば)

Favorite Bassist : Chiyu from SuG

Favorite Drummer: Shinpei from SuG

Favorite Synth Sound :  INAZUMA by ALSDEAD

Favorite PV: Teenage Dream by SuG

Favorite lyrics : イケナイ Kiss by DIV

Favorite Label : BPR

Best Comeback : Alice Nine members in Diawolf

Worst Split :  ALSDEAD

Best Look : Gackt during Hallowe`en

Best announcement : New Gackt album

Favorite Live`s : UNiTE Band Reunions, TMR Live Experience.

Best VK fan : Tetora

Thanks for reading. Also big thanks to Yakihiko for bugging me (for months) to make this.

Really cool to see you list your favorite singles as well, and not just tracks, but as a small collective work. Smileberry, nüe, Purple Stone, umbrella, blu-billion, Unite... lots of really good bands I also have been loving this year. I used to be really into R指定 years ago, I ended up getting a little bored, but reading this makes me want to catch up on their recent releases now. I also agree 100% about DIV's album. Even though it was made up from a lot of past singles, I still really liked those singles. 

Another great list! :D

@@Tetora

What an amazing list bro, really smokin' great releases in here and thank you for doing it even with your Microsoft Word bitching xD and thank you for mention me lol

I do enjoy how you rank it, "CRAZY" and "SMOKIN' SICK STYLE".

2015 was full of disbands, MBHI, ALSDEAD, Moran... :(

Probably best new coming project/band from 2015 was DIAWOLF.

I will check that UNITE's UNIVERSE and that LEZARD album, I think I forgot it.

"Favorite Guitarist : Taizo from Kra", surprises... not :D

"Best Vk Fan: Tetora", definitively xD

Super Great!
I removed some bands that I don't like, but bro, your list is perfect! UVER pushed up with this single! Glad to see SuG, Aki, FED and DOG!

Yeah, BLACK is the best album of 2015!

I don't speak because they are my favorite band, but because the album is perfect, every second, every song!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! ^^

Favorite Vocalist: Takeru from SuG

Favorite Bassist : Chiyu from SuG

Favorite Drummer: Shinpei from SuG

*SCREAMING*

You know I thought I'd tried out a lot of Visual Kei this year, but your list proves that VK is indeed vast and infinite (stole that from GITS)! But anyways, great list!

DIV's 'イケナイKISS' was really cool. I enjoyed how they mixed in that EDM-y sound and pulled it off without a hitch.

I'm not sure how much I like DOGMA in comparison to Gazette's other work yet, but that album yielded some new favs from the band - like DERACINE and OMINOUS.

己龍/Royz/コドモドラゴン - FAMILY PARTY - This was a great little comp. I'm especially into Kiryu and I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.

Those vistlip and SuG albums were my first introductions to these bands, and i was really pleased with them. The former had this nostalgic quality that just really resonated with me, and the latter was just tons of fun.

Cheers!  :glitter:

Yay for WING WORKS love! :3 Other than that, I have to say I really enjoyed Mucc's mini album too, despite not having any expectations beforehand. A good mixture of their different 'sides'. Also, I just ~know~ I listened to Codomo Dragon's album but can't remember anything about it, lol - other than not being put off by it, so it was okay I guess.

Thanks for all the comments!

I also use that GiTS quote btw.

Also Gazette I still haven`t spun as much as their older stuff, but just the fact that they got back into my ears with this release was a good feeling.

I think MuCC swung a little bit back into doing what old-timers (hehe) can enjoy some-what with some tunes on their last album and this mini. Although I am a feverish fan of all their stuff from Karma on myself.

I listen to the same bands all the time but some new acts entered into my endless loop this year which is good.

Also something I forgot to say:

Thanks to everyone who shows me new music, or new ways to look at bands or even individual songs. A lot of people have inspired me, and added things into my life. I really appreciate it, and I am sure some people noticed bands that I stole from them, and things they showed me over the year.

Anyway, enough of that sappy moment, 2016 is upon us, let`s rock!

Some thoughts on a few releases from your list:

LEZARD - かくれんぼ

I'm still waiting for my copy but i really liked the preview. I was a huge fan of LEZARD's sound when they first started out (and when they were releasing annoying 150-copies live-limited CDs), but I admittedly couldn't really get into some of their more recent stuff. So it's refreshing to hear something that's reminiscent of their older sound which is what i enjoyed more from their repertoire :)

Neverland - HumaNOISE

Nice to see them in your list! Ryota's vocals are too sweet. Kinda similar to Blu-BiLLioN but still distinctly unique. And i love the heart-rending flavor of many of their songs!

Purple Stone -アオイヤミ

You dunno how happy i am to see them among your favorites! Looks like my shameless promotion of Purple Stone hasn't gone to waste hahah. Hopefully they can release an album soon~

From your list i also love LOG (R.I.P. ;_; ), Blu-BiLLioN (duh), DIV, ALSDEAD, and of course vistlip :D ユナイト's album left me with mixed feelings but i'll probably return to give them another listen in future. Haven't tried SuG (i've been procrastinating for only the last 7 years?) but i intend to.

Sign in to follow this