SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

Finished Kingdom Hearts 3 last week. It was everything I hoped it would be and more. A excellent culmination of the past 17 years in the franchise.

Spoiler

I won't go into too much detail, but this game delivered excellently on a lot of the communities long standing questions pertaining to lore and plot points that were mysteries before this game, it also confirmed more than a few theories that had been floating around for the past few years.

The best choice for this game was to trim the fat (aka the out of place FF characters and dependency on Disney villains) and really emphasis and focus more on the KH original characters and flesh out the lore a lot more. The characters and the overarching KH story/mythos really came into it's own with this game and showcased a lot of the inner workings of the story out into the limelight. A lot of these elements have always been there but not so clearly out in the open as they were in this entry.

There are some moments in this game (a lot in the last quarter of the game) that just hit you so hard in the feels. moments that the fandom have been waiting literally over a decade for, and they just feel so well earned and amazingly done.

BIG KH3 Spoiler below

Spoiler

I have to talk about the implications of the two after credit scenes and what they mean for the series going forward. The first scene which showcases clearly that Sora is gone and what I believe to indicate that he has actually died or at least something akin to dieing. His mortality was hinted at several time through the story by multiple organization XIII members. There is a price to pay for using the power of waking excessively and Sora is fast approaching that point at the end of the game. the big problem with this is the issue of timelines, when does he die? clearly we see kairi in the this cut scene so some time has had to of passed, enough time for him to go save her and then come back to destiny islands where he then dissapears....  then there's the issue of whether or not this scene should even be taken in a literal canonical sense but more in a metaphorical sense that yes he save Kairi and yes he dies but maybe not in the way the scene showcases it, after all Nomura is notorious for misdirection and retconning when it comes to after credit and secret scenes in KH.

Onto the second secret scene that you only can see if you collect the right amount of lucky emblems in the game... or in my case just watch it on YT. This is by far the craziest secret scene we've ever gotten. Sora ends up waking up in Shibuya.... yes Shibuya, Japan. or at least what a lot of people are pretty positive is the version of Shibuya that is in the game TWEWY (The World Ends With You), yeah baby this is a Square Enix World! At the Same time Riku is in a similar part of Tokyo (not sure where, there is a lot of crazy geography mapping going on among the community right now) but it pans out to show that not only a mysterious hooded figure is watching them but also Yozora is in this world which aids to the assumption that this is a world based on the Verum Rex video game  and advertisement that you see early in KH3 during the Toy Story portion of the game. Verum Rex is technically an original SE thing being a game withing a game so therefore also a SE World...

Yes I believe and a lot of people believe KH4 will not only include Disney worlds but will predominantly have you exploring worlds from other Square Enix games. Which makes more sense when you consider there were zero SE characters in KH3, not even a cameo. Maybe we will finally get an answer to why FF characters were apart of the games before this, I expect some kind of lore connection or explanation.

But now to even more revelations, this clearly showcase that Sora is alive right? maybe not. TWEWY to my understanding deals a lot with death and shinigami. the version of Shibuya in TWEWY is a place that people go when they die. Sora is DEAD! honestly that connection is brilliant but wait for it. what if Sora knew he was going to die at the end of KH3 and he knew that he would have to in order to go save Kairi? After all he seemed pretty confident in what he had to do to save her and hence why he decided to do it alone without any of his companions. I believe Sora dies or like i said earlier, something very similar to death in order to chase after kairi, and just so happened that TWEWY Shibuya is where it took him.

There is obviously a lot of loose ends and plot holes in this, but I do stand firm on the belief that Sora does face his mortality in some way after the events of KH3 and that whatever is happening with him and Riku in the secret cutscene happens prior to him saving Kairi and dissapearing on destiny islands.

please excuse the misspelling, I don't have time right now to proofread this LOL

I Also just started Metro: Exodus and goddamn is this just about the best graphics I've ever seen, 4A is really pushing some amazing super graphics with this engine. Some of the lighting effects are the most impressive I've ever seen.

just like everyone else on the internet, Apex Legends. although tbh as someone who has singed hundreds and hundreds of hours into battle royales this one feels the most fun and refreshing 

1 hour ago, yomii said:

started hakuoki thanks to Gesu! kinda late to the party but

im aiming for hajime, but it's such a bummer you can't romance keisuke :c

I also aimed for Hajime when I first played the game, lol. He's one of my favorites and I really enjoyed his route ^^ He is so quiet, but he also has his adorable and funny moments as well.

I'm now tempted to play it again xD The last version I played was on the PS3, and I'm super curious about the new routes/characters added to the latest edition.

38 minutes ago, monkeybanana4 said:

I also aimed for Hajime when I first played the game, lol. He's one of my favorites and I really enjoyed his route ^^ He is so quiet, but he also has his adorable and funny moments as well.

I'm now tempted to play it again xD The last version I played was on the PS3, and I'm super curious about the new routes/characters added to the latest edition.

i always prefer quiet, cool guys~ was thinking of hijikata first, but he's like, the most obvious choice, so maybe next time. which game is the latest edition though? as far as i can see there is quite a bunch of them, i'm completely lost lol

1 hour ago, yomii said:

i always prefer quiet, cool guys~ was thinking of hijikata first, but he's like, the most obvious choice, so maybe next time. which game is the latest edition though? as far as i can see there is quite a bunch of them, i'm completely lost lol

Haha, I felt the same way when I first played it especially since Hijikata is on the cover of the game. His route is also the longest, so I ended up playing his story last.

I feel you there about being completely lost, lol. When I first started to play, I was confused af as to why there are so many versions (PSP, 3DS, PS3, and now PSV/Steam) Not to mention there are various spinoffs of the game xD But yeah, I think the latest version is on the PS Vita/Steam (PC) where the game is split up into two parts: Hakuoki - Kyoto Winds (first part) and Hakuoki - Edo Blossoms (second part). Apparently, it has the most content and is much more fully fleshed out compared to previous editions. So I guess this one would be the version to play. Also, I read that this version of game has a Keisuke romance route ;) 

Edited by monkeybanana4

Playing Tekken 7 with my partner for the last week or so and getting back into fighting games that aren't smash for the first time since I was a teen. I still suck. Katarina is forgiving enough to noobs and I enjoy her playstyle so I'm sticking to her so far. I'm having a lot of fun getting the timing down and learning basic combos, I can safely say I'm moving away from button mashing territory. When I get confident enough I'll start playing online 😞

Finished up Dragon Quest xi a little while ago, though I haven't plated the game yet and I'm not sure I will. The way Sylvando was handled was unexpected, relatable and endearing, it was impressively progressive for such an old school game. Also helps that I have a hispanic father and we've had similar issues when I was growing up.

I also started playing the Langrisser mobile game because my old go to is being shut down(RIP Sailor Drops) and I'm loving it. Story is meh and I'm not very familiar with the original games, but I love Satoshi Urushihara's character designs and the gameplay is above average for a mobile game imo. I refuse to pay even a dime for gacha games on principal(I was heavily addicted to one at one point and weep when I think of all of that money I wasted) and so far this one has been accommodating of that. We'll see how long that stays true.

finished saito route in hakuoki and this game is SO SAD my heart was ripped apart for like a hundred times i just can't

don't think i can handle another route just yet

Edited by yomii

I've played Metro 2033 Redux for 4 hours now and it's still feeling a bit meh. The concept and plot are interesting but some things about the gameplay just annoy me. Like the gas mask filter time - I like taking things slow and thoroughly exploring everything (and just fucking around) so being on a time limit stresses me out a bit too much.

I think I'll just shelf the game for a while and see if I'll some day bother to finish it. In the meantime I'm just gonna replay s.t.a.l.k.e.r.: call of pripyat again...

Grandia 2 is such a good game y'all. i've been wanting to play it for so long and finally decided to pick it up. the gameplay might be a little simple in some areas and could be more fleshed out but the unique battle system, storyline, and lovable characters definitely make up for it. if you're a fan of JRPGs you should definitely give this one a chance! or if you've never played a Grandia game before you should check the first one out too~

^LOVE the Grandia series! 2 is probably the best overall, tho the first is my personal favorite. I love the 90's adventure anime aesthetic mixed with ghibli tropes. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:50 AM, PIZAZ said:

^LOVE the Grandia series! 2 is probably the best overall, tho the first is my personal favorite. I love the 90's adventure anime aesthetic mixed with ghibli tropes. 

i played the first one a long time ago and don't remember much but i'd love to replay it sometime!

grandia xtreme is the only one left i've still yet to play but i read somewhere that it was the worst in the series? i don't remember liking the third one too much when i played it so i'd probably say that my favorite of the series is grandia 2 as of right now. although i have a feeling it won't change since i love ryudo and millenia lol. not necessarily as a pairing but as the characters themselves.

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Red Dead Redemption 2! Doing the story mode, then maybe gonna try the online. I also play Borderlands from time to time (my favorite game) and well waiting on Sekiro in 2 weeks!

The Evil Within, beat the main game and The Assignment DLC so far, gonna get started with The Consequence soon. I kinda accidentally made the game harder on myself because I only rediscovered the fact there's a dedicated sprint button in like chapter 11 out of 15 lol, it definitely did make the game a lot spookier and more stressful that way tho.

Is the sequel worth playing? That Obscura monster looks great design-wise but I've heard mixed opinions on the rest of the game

@Tokage the sequel was rather weak imo but still worth playing for the atmosphere and new creepy enemies. the first one had better characters overall while i didn't care too much for anybody in the second one tbh. somehow i didn't realize that hard mode (?) was similar to the normal mode in the first game so it didn't feel very satisfying when i beat the game in normal mode....seemed a bit too easy. but that's just me.

Nearly finished w/ Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ for the Vita, and started playing a bit of Umihara Kawase Shun (PS1) which has my favorite soundtrack of the three. I recently started the Hyperdimension Neptunia series w/ Re;birth 1 (also Vita), so I plan on playing 1-3 before moving onto anything else. (Compa's voice got annoying enough to where I had to shift her to support o_o)

Puyo Puyo Tetris got a complete English Translation fan patch for the Vita, so I'll squeeze that in whenever I can. 

Edited by colorfuljinsei

still playing Final Fantasy XIV

+ I finished Devil May Cry 5 a month ago (amazing game, loved everything about it, and gave me everything I wanted after DMC4) but they recently released the Bloody Palace DLC so I'm playing some of that as well

I've been playing the Strange Men series by Uri. I finished The Crooked Man yesterday, and I'm now on The Sand Man. After that will be The Boogie Man, and finally, The Hanged Man.

Also, I play Tetris with a song on loop in the background sometimes when I'm bored. I've been playing it since I was four, so if I was ever confident that I could whoop someone at one thing, it'd be that, lol.