SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

Burly Men At Sea

This is a really small, short game that can be 100%-ed in a couple of hours. It is super charming and has great music. The controls were designed for touch screen, and my only complaint is that the controls are never explained. It took me like 3 minutes to figure out how to get past the title screen. T_T;;; There's also a "battle" that I would've never figured out how to beat without googling it. (turns out I had to touch and HOLD on a specific spot)

7'scarlet

Otome visual novel I just started last night. I'm pretty interested in the story - the heroine's brother went missing a year ago in a small town that has rumours of supernatural scary stuff going on. Now she's in that town to investigate, sort of. (Why didn't she or her family go there to look for him earlier?) My problem so far is the potential love interests. 

- Childhood friend who likes sports - This guy seems OK, but is showing signs of having an unhealthy obsession with the heroine. He's incredibly obvious about having a crush on her, but she's too dumb to notice. (I'm pretty tired of this anime trope)

- Upbeat chef guy - I don't like his VA

- Shy and clumsy weirdo with a cat obsession

- Medical student who only cares about studying. Megane.

- Slightly older guy who maybe sorta becomes the heroine's boss (!), rude no-nonsense type.

So, so far, all of these guys kinda suck. They'll probably get a bunch of sympathetic character development later, we'll see.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Already clocked in 40 hours or so. This game is so massive. That can be good or bad depending on what you want out of it. People were complaining about leveling too slowly? I think I'm leveling too fast. (And I'm playing on easy, which apparently awards less XP than higher difficulties). My gear is underleveled because I level up so fast. Anyway, it is so so so so so so fun. Already wrote too much about this game in previous post.

By the way, it was just announced that Ubisoft Quebec (developers of Odyssey) has hired Mike Laidlaw, the former creative director for Dragon Age. I really hope he's working on a new Assassin's Creed, that would be DOPE.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:32 PM, monkeybanana4 said:

@platy

That's good to hear! Better late than never, right? Wow, that's a super high level, lol. How did you finally manage to defeat him on the GBA version? 

I grinded some more, made a thread on reddit asking for tips on how to defeat him and boom. 

I'm now on the 2nd fight with Vexen on Re:CoM. Words can't describe how much I hate this mf. This fight is ridiculous omfg. It's also incredibly unfair how with one card he can unleash a combo, with no cards he can block any attacks and he has a blizzard enhancement card. *throws console out of the window* Larxene was a super fun challenge, this is just stupid. 

@platy When Sora fights him again in Twilight Town? Ugh, yeah, I disliked that fight a lot. In general, I find Vexen annoying as a boss fight especially with that shield he carries. Regularly attacking him just doesn't work, so you constantly have to break his cards somehow. That really irked me when I first fought him. In the end, I cheesed his boss fights by stacking my entire deck with that cheap sleight, Lethal Frame. Massive cheating, but I had enough of fighting him after so many deaths. But yes, the Vexen fights were stupid - *completely flips all tables and chairs* Larxene was tough, but she felt less bothersome than Vexen's fights. She didn't feel as cheap.

Edited by monkeybanana4

Finally finished up with ys 8, really great game overall, would recommend to anyone looking for a really well put together and fun arpg. The story got predictable and a little slow near the end, but it didn't effect how my overall opinion.

Started Valkyiria Chronicles 4, so far so good. I like that it's a clear call back to the first and gameplay remains as addicting as ever, but man can you feel the lack of budget sometimes. Animations are stiff and limited, cutscenes last a couple of seconds and character models look like tweaked enhancements from the first game. Story and characters are pretty bland so far as well. I'll probably stick with it until the end because combat remains enjoyable, Dragon Quest 11 is staring me down as I contemplate it tho

I feel like I am a year behind on things. I just finished Assassin's Creed Origins- it was very OK, I really wouldn't recommend it, but for whatever reason I was compelled to finish it. I still don't have a Switch (something I hope to fix by early next year). Not quite sure what game is up next for me.

7'scarlet

The overall story was pretty interesting, but yeah the romance stuff made very little sense for any character other than the childhood friend. Because basically she falls in love with the other guys after knowing them for like 2 days. And also, there's a secret 6th dude who turns out to be

Spoiler

the heroine's BROTHER, which is insanely gross, but is explained with one of those convoluted anime twists (he's not really her brother, he's actually some kind of undead guy with the power to alter the memories of people around him, so he just made her THINK he is her brother, but yes she did actually grow up and live with him for like 10 years thinking he is her brother, but as soon as she finds out he's not really her brother she is totally down to make out with him moments before he sacrifices himself to end the undead curse etc)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Still trucking along, i'm at like 90 hours or something insane like that, I blew past level 50 and still haven't completed any of the main story threads. (For context, the story is probably completable at level 35-40.) @Ito's post reminds me of the big complaint I had with Origins - the story is so disjointed because of the huge time skips that exist so they can force your character into various historical events. That has been a problem with, I think, every AssCreed, but Odyssey has so far had ZERO time skips. It makes for a much more coherent story and helps with getting me attached to my character. So far.

Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly

Another otome VN. Unusual in the sense that there is no happy ending for 2 of the guys. Anyway, my best guy (Yamato) got the best happy ending, so I'm satisfied. The other 2 guys with happy endings both sucked because

Spoiler

1) Monshiro is actually a dude that's been in a coma for 10 years, so when he wakes up in the ending, not only is he physically (temporarily) crippled, he's emotionally stunted. He's essentially a kid in an adult's body. Also, he speaks in monotone and is exceptionally taciturn. It's fuckin WEIRD.

2) Karasuba is a total creep who constantly sekuhara's the heroine. He's extremely pushy and, in the ending, it feels like he basically bullies the heroine into going out with him.

Anyway, aside from that, it was nice that this game had a flowchart with all the scenes, so it was easy to jump back and make different choices. Looking forward to playing the sequel, after I get through...

Hakuoki Kyoto Winds

I played one of the original Hakuoki games on PS3 way back when. It was one of the first games I played in Japanese, and boy that was a CHOICE. Lots of historical terminology made it a heck of a challenge. Anyway, Kyoto Winds is the Vita version which is apparently the original game (edit: the first half of the original game) with a lot of added stuff including new hot guys. And now it's in English! Except I'm already skeptical of the translation because they wrote the Genji era as "Ganji era". Also stuff like leaving out doubled n's, such as the character Sannan being written as Sanan. Yes, those are very different. How do you fuck that up??? By the way, I noticed translation errors in 7'scarlet and Psychedelica as well. Not just name-spelling errors, but like identifying the incorrect subject in sentences, such that it doesn't even make sense in the story. Come on.

Edited by peffy

I've been playing Monster Hunter World for a few hours now and I really love it. I've never played a Monster Hunter game before but I've played some similar games so I kinda knew what to expect. It'll probably take me a good while to learn how to get good at it but it's fine, I like games where you actually have to know what you're doing.

Been playing Dr. Mario, Super Mario 3, and Kirby's Adventures the most since I got my NES Classic.

Dr. Mario is dangerously addictive ;w;

1 hour ago, suji said:

Dr. Mario is dangerously addictive ;w;

its a gateway drug to abusing the devil's medicine (aspirin) so b careful.......

4 hours ago, Visutox said:

Call of Cthulhu and Destiny 2.

How's Call of Cthulhu? What type of a game is it, and is it any good?

7 hours ago, Bear said:

How's Call of Cthulhu? What type of a game is it, and is it any good?

It's pretty good so far, it's a first-person role-playing survival horror type of game. I like the atmosphere as it feels mysterious and all that, so yeah. Can't say more than that since I haven't finished it yet but for now it's just a bit straight-forward (doesn't ruin the game experience tho).  The story is interesting  too, so I'm enjoying it.

Edited by Visutox

In break at the moment so taking advantage of that free time.

Donut County

Oh boy this game was a disappointment. Gave me hardcore Katamari vibes going in, but instead of a wacky action game I got a boring puzzle game. Every puzzle was easy, and not like a "I'm smart" easy... I'm just ok at puzzles and only one time did I have to stop and think at all. The game took me 2 hours to beat. Oh, did I mention that half of the game is cut scenes? This game kind of sucked.

Owlboy

4.5 hours in and loving it. Been playing this game entirely on steam and it works super well that way. The pixel are is gorgeous and the game is full of charm. The controls can feel a bit wonky, but hardly a deal breaker. The pacing is also great so far, which is amazing since a lot of games like this tend to feel like the are padded a lot.

Spiderman

Only a handful of hours in. The controls and still a little clunky feeling for combat but I'm sure I will get used to them. The web swinging is just wonderful. Verdict is still out but I feel like I will really enjoy this one going forward 

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

The game I have put the most time in to on this list. I've always loved Smash Bros and this one does nothing to change that opinion. This game reminds me of how much fun it is to have friends over to play video games.

Finished Mario Odyssey a few weeks ago (still need to find like 60% of the moons though lmao) and I'm now playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. I'm like 70 hours in and not even halfway done, so it's gonna take a while before I finish it too.

i'm close to ending shin megami tensei 4 and i'm nervous about my alignment as i was neutral all way through without using guides but just before some drastic changes in game my alignment changed to chaos and i will have no way of checking it anymore. 

Like a lot of yall, I've been casually playing smash with a friend occasionally. LOVE that they decided to pull a MvC2 and just throw whatever they could think of in, smash was feeling stale for awhile.

I'm maining Jigglypuff and Kirby(as always), but also switching shit up and giving other characters  a try. I like Villager and Simon so far.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, TheZigzagoon said:

For those playing Smash Bros., who we all maining?

For me, it’s Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Brawler atm 

I'm not sure I have a main, as I am pretty casual still. But if I was forced to pick, I would say it's between Lucina, Zero Suit Samus, and King K. Rool.

8 hours ago, Ito said:

I'm not sure I have a main, as I am pretty casual still. But if I was forced to pick, I would say it's between Lucina, Zero Suit Samus, and King K. Rool.

Love Lucina and Zero Suit Samus, I’ve not played as King K. Rool, but I’ve had my run ins online with some hard to beat KKR players