SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

5 hours ago, platy said:

Re-playing Kingdom Hearts in preparation for the third one. The first KH has an awful camera and some insanely bad level design lol I'll be glad to never look at it again. On the plus side, it's very interesting to see how the series had a jump in improvement from the first to the second game and without a doubt, the third one will be amazing. The other games are usually just copypasted and dumbed down versions of the main ones, apart from Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep which stand out in their own way.

Have you played the 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue on the PS4 yet? The new mechanics they implemented in there were pretty fun.

I'd have to agree with the horrible camera for the first one. I'd be in the middle of battle and I wouldn't be able to see where I was because the camera decided to do its own thing. Birth By Sleep was also quite entertaining with its versatile battle options. 

1 hour ago, monkeybanana4 said:

Have you played the 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue on the PS4 yet? The new mechanics they implemented in there were pretty fun.

I'd have to agree with the horrible camera for the first one. I'd be in the middle of battle and I wouldn't be able to see where I was because the camera decided to do its own thing. Birth By Sleep was also quite entertaining with its versatile battle options. 

Not yet, I'll get to it soon.  From the trailer it looks pretty fun, if I knew there would be a KH compilation with 2.8 included coming out I would've waited a bit more to buy it. 

I was fighting Ursula last night and I couldn't see anything I was doing, so it was a miracle I did it in one go. After that I went to the Peter Pan world and ugh, that camera does NOT work in cramped spaces. Can't wait to move on to chain of memories. 

21 minutes ago, platy said:

Not yet, I'll get to it soon.  From the trailer it looks pretty fun, if I knew there would be a KH compilation with 2.8 included coming out I would've waited a bit more to buy it. 

I was fighting Ursula last night and I couldn't see anything I was doing, so it was a miracle I did it in one go. After that I went to the Peter Pan world and ugh, that camera does NOT work in cramped spaces. Can't wait to move on to chain of memories. 

Ah, darn. Yeah, those compilations kind of snuck up. But you should totally play it when you get the chance. It's short, but it's a super fun teaser of KH3's battle system. 

I remember the swimming controls in Atlantica not helping with that chaotic Urusla fight, so awkward and weird. Totally agree with you there about the Peter Pan world. I feel that's when the camera is at its worst especially when exploring inside the tiny spaces inside the ship. Like how am I supposed to fight an enemy when I have to fight against the camera controls? Also, somewhat random, but the gummy ship sections in KH1 kind of pale in comparison to the ones in KH2 - those were lots of fun there.

How do you like Chain of Memories? I feel it is unique with its card battle system, but it could get repetitive when you needed to grind/search for a particular 'door' card. I've heard lots of people disliking the battle system.

mainly been playing death road to canada in co-op mode lately, it's surprisingly fun

tfw you will NEVER go on a zombie apocalypse road trip to canada with Jason & Garfield...

Edited by Tokage

9 hours ago, monkeybanana4 said:

Ah, darn. Yeah, those compilations kind of snuck up. But you should totally play it when you get the chance. It's short, but it's a super fun teaser of KH3's battle system. 

I remember the swimming controls in Atlantica not helping with that chaotic Urusla fight, so awkward and weird. Totally agree with you there about the Peter Pan world. I feel that's when the camera is at its worst especially when exploring inside the tiny spaces inside the ship. Like how am I supposed to fight an enemy when I have to fight against the camera controls? Also, somewhat random, but the gummy ship sections in KH1 kind of pale in comparison to the ones in KH2 - those were lots of fun there.

How do you like Chain of Memories? I feel it is unique with its card battle system, but it could get repetitive when you needed to grind/search for a particular 'door' card. I've heard lots of people disliking the battle system.

Regarding the gummy ship, KH2's is very trippy and the camera goes insane sometimes too lol But it's a lot more fun than KH1's

I love the art style of CoM! I'm a sucker for pixel art. I don't mind the battle system or the grind, but it can be hard to get used to using the cards.  I just wish we could explore new worlds. It gets annoying seeing the same disney characters over and over and the KH original worlds are some of my favorite places in the series, I mean The World That Never Was? Twilight/Traverse Town? Such atmospheric places, why can't we have more. Also, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before in this thread, but I've been trying to finish CoM for over 9 years now. I just can't defeat Marluxia. Every year I go back, grind and try a new strategy but I never defeated him. Maybe it's even a glitch? I'm glad I get to try it again a new console.

What did you think of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days? I thought KH works well on a PSP, but it did not work on a nintendo DS, like, at all and I didn't finish it mainly because the grind was excruciating and the gameplay was too repetitive.

35 minutes ago, platy said:

Regarding the gummy ship, KH2's is very trippy and the camera goes insane sometimes too lol But it's a lot more fun than KH1's

I love the art style of CoM! I'm a sucker for pixel art. I don't mind the battle system or the grind, but it can be hard to get used to using the cards.  I just wish we could explore new worlds. It gets annoying seeing the same disney characters over and over and the KH original worlds are some of my favorite places in the series, I mean The World That Never Was? Twilight/Traverse Town? Such atmospheric places, why can't we have more. Also, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before in this thread, but I've been trying to finish CoM for over 9 years now. I just can't defeat Marluxia. Every year I go back, grind and try a new strategy but I never defeated him. Maybe it's even a glitch? I'm glad I get to try it again a new console.

What did you think of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days? I thought KH works well on a PSP, but it did not work on a nintendo DS, like, at all and I didn't finish it mainly because the grind was excruciating and the gameplay was too repetitive.

Oh, you played it on the GBA? I never had the chance. I've only been able to play it on the HD compilation, so I'm not sure about any glitch with Marluxia. But I've managed to beat him on the HD version. There is also a very broken sleight called Lethal Frame, which I think was newly added for the HD version. It either makes the game easier or completely breaks it (depending on one's opinion). Yes, I couldn't agree more! I love the original worlds especially the expanded version of The World That Never Was. And the music in Traverse/Twilight fit quite beautifully. Unfortunately, I think Nomura said he's not going to be creating more original ones, which is quite a shame since those tend to be the more interesting ones (unless I'm remembering incorrectly). How did you think about the Disney worlds in the other installments? Some people I know complained about the unnecessary addition of Agrabah in KH2. 

I think the story in KH 358/2 Days is fine, but I agree about the gameplay. It was a huge grind and way too repetitive. I've tried to complete it three times, but I lose interest in it just as quick. I think the game handled awkwardly on the Nintendo DS, but probably because I'm too used to playing most KH games on Sony products. The only one I have not played is KH Chi since it's on the phone, but I heard it's important story-wise. Have you played it yet?

@monkeybanana4

Unfortunately, I think Nomura said he's not going to be creating more original ones

He needs to stop being lazy. :(

10 hours ago, monkeybanana4 said:

How did you think about the Disney worlds in the other installments? Some people I know complained about the unnecessary addition of Agrabah in KH2. 

Mmm. Agrabah really is a chore. Little Mermaid was a massive improvement in KH2. Pirates of the Caribbean is a drag. I have a love/hate relationship with the Coliseum. Mulan was interesting. The ones I consistently like throughout the games are Halloween Town and Beast's Castle. I need to play through more games to make a final decision but yeah. (edit: Neverland KH2 and Disney Town were great too, also fuck tron) 

I also played chi, but it was repetitive as fuck and I saw nothing in terms of story, despite playing for a couple of months so you can just watch the movie when it comes out lol. 

1 hour ago, platy said:

Mmm. Agrabah really is a chore. Little Mermaid was a massive improvement in KH2. Pirates of the Caribbean is a drag. I have a love/hate relationship with the Coliseum. Mulan was interesting. The ones I consistently like throughout the games are Halloween Town and Beast's Castle. I need to play through more games to make a final decision but yeah. (edit: Neverland KH2 and Disney Town were great too, also fuck tron) 

So many fans complained about the musical aspect of the Little Mermaid. I personally didn't find it too horrible. Controls were much better even though there wasn't any combat. Agree with you on Halloween Town. I love the aesthetics of it and the costumes are a nice added touch. Something about that world is quite fun. Do you mean Neverland and Disney Town in Birth by Sleep? Trying to complete those mini-games in Disney Town for the trophy requirements are a nightmare, lol. Are you referring to the Tron world in KH2 or in Dream Drop Distance?

1 hour ago, platy said:

I also played chi, but it was repetitive as fuck and I saw nothing in terms of story, despite playing for a couple of months so you can just watch the movie when it comes out lol. 

Cool. I was thinking I might have to play it. Do you mean the movie version on the HD PS4 compilation? I did watch that one. The story was so-so (and mysterious as usual). At least the graphics were top-notch. I did remember reading somewhere that Nomura said the story of Chi won't be finished by KH3's release, and I'm kind of wondering how that works since Chi is supposed to be the prequel to all the games, lol.

7 hours ago, monkeybanana4 said:

So many fans complained about the musical aspect of the Little Mermaid. I personally didn't find it too horrible. Controls were much better even though there wasn't any combat. Agree with you on Halloween Town. I love the aesthetics of it and the costumes are a nice added touch. Something about that world is quite fun. Do you mean Neverland and Disney Town in Birth by Sleep? Trying to complete those mini-games in Disney Town for the trophy requirements are a nightmare, lol. Are you referring to the Tron world in KH2 or in Dream Drop Distance?

Cool. I was thinking I might have to play it. Do you mean the movie version on the HD PS4 compilation? I did watch that one. The story was so-so (and mysterious as usual). At least the graphics were top-notch. I did remember reading somewhere that Nomura said the story of Chi won't be finished by KH3's release, and I'm kind of wondering how that works since Chi is supposed to be the prequel to all the games, lol.

Oops, I got confused. Yeah, Neverland & Disney Town in BBS! It's been so long since I played that things are getting blurred. Tron in KH2, it's an eyesore lol I didn't know it was a thing in DDD :(  What are your favorite worlds?

I just looked at the latest compilation of all games and it said there's a movie in there? I thought it was cutscenes from chi, but i might be wrong. I hope KH3 will be the last KH game but I doubt it. The story is just so convoluted, I wish they wouldn't drag it out any longer and work on some new IP

1 hour ago, platy said:

Oops, I got confused. Yeah, Neverland & Disney Town in BBS! It's been so long since I played that things are getting blurred. Tron in KH2, it's an eyesore lol I didn't know it was a thing in DDD :(  What are your favorite worlds?

Oh, no! Are you going to play DDD in the compilation if you can? I totally recommend it. Are you also playing the previous games on the HD compilations? Other than Halloween Town, I like Hallow Bastion/Radiant Garden. It was fun and had a nice soundtrack. Also, I really liked one of the worlds in DDD, which is Symphony Sorcery. In BBS, I agree with Neverland. It was quite nice to explore more of the world. Deep Space was another cool world, too. In KH2, I enjoyed the Timeless River one - the black and white aesthetics were a cool touch.

1 hour ago, platy said:

I just looked at the latest compilation of all games and it said there's a movie in there? I thought it was cutscenes from chi, but i might be wrong. I hope KH3 will be the last KH game but I doubt it. The story is just so convoluted, I wish they wouldn't drag it out any longer and work on some new IP

Oh, yeah. The movie on the compilation is actually additional stuff that further adds to the mobile Chi game. I think you had to play the game to understand it, so I was completely lost when I first watched it. Somewhere, I read that Nomura said KH3 will be the end of the "Xehanort" saga, but not the end of the KH game. I agree, though. The plot gets quite haywire, and the plot in DDD further complicates the storyline by adding some very left field elements into the story. At this point, I just wish the game would finish. I love the gameplay, but the story is a whole other beast. 

@monkeybanana4 I will play it! I'm going through every game on the compilation no matter how bad they are.

Timeless river was another great one. But I'll have to do some research on Chi to understand the story then. It's like a wild chase with this game. End of the Xehanort saga? So the next saga will have another 10 games. sigh. If they really want to continua milking it, they should go deep into the keyblade war and what happened before it. 

@platy Yeah, I did the same thing since there were some games I never had the chance to play during its the original release. Luckily, games like 358/2 and Re:Coded are in movie format, so thank god, lol. Will you be playing it on the PS4? Out of all the HD remixes/final mix, I think my favorite one is KH2 final mix because of the additional bonus content and the way they changed some of the mechanisms in the game. I'd love to hear your opinions/thoughts when you get through it all.

And the story of Chi is still unfinished, too, at least from what I last read. I think KHInsider posted a whole playlist with English subs, showing the most important stuff from the Chi games. Here's the link to the playlist if you're interested: https://youtu.be/mZBcljsfUIM. Most of the videos aren't long, so it's tolerable. (There is also stuff from Union X that I have not yet watched. I can't ever seem to keep up with this big plot.)

I love the series and all, but I sort of hope it won't be like another 10 games. How the heck is it even going to continue after the Xehanort plot? Right now, the whole lore of Kingdom Hearts seems to be built around him. Oh, was Chi/Union Chi supposed to explain the Keyblade War and all that stuff before it? Or did I misremember that? 

Since my last visit here on Oct 5, I basically ignored everything VK and just spent all my (limited) spare time gaming.

I beat these games:

God of War 3 - Kratos is an asshole. I was somewhat disturbed by the gross treatment of women. Still want to play the new one tho.

Batman (the Telltale game) - Actually had some tough choices to make. Was very interested in Cat/Bat's relationship

Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - LOVED this. Lots of fun. Except the part where I had to collect brains. Best weapon: Sheepinator fully upgraded.

Oxenfree - Dialogue stuff was the best part of this game. I don't really get what the story is trying to say, tho (alternate universe stuff? time travel stuff?). And I DID NOT appreciate the jump scares & creepy stuff. I don't like horror very much.

Currently playing these on&off:

Dragon Quest Heroes - I don't think I like musou gameplay that much. Every mission being like "protect this thing" is tiring. I haven't gotten very far yet, tho.

Cities Skylines - I can't believe how intricate and complex this gets. I just started bus service in my city, and they want me to plot the bus routes. I'd rather not...

Code Realize Future Blessings - The original game had bittersweet endings (if I remember right) where, in most of them, the heroine still has poison skin and can't touch the dude she's in love with. This game concludes those stories with her getting cured, which makes it seem like these are the real endings that got cut from the first game. 

Edited by peffy

7 hours ago, monkeybanana4 said:

@platy Yeah, I did the same thing since there were some games I never had the chance to play during its the original release. Luckily, games like 358/2 and Re:Coded are in movie format, so thank god, lol. Will you be playing it on the PS4? Out of all the HD remixes/final mix, I think my favorite one is KH2 final mix because of the additional bonus content and the way they changed some of the mechanisms in the game. I'd love to hear your opinions/thoughts when you get through it all.

And the story of Chi is still unfinished, too, at least from what I last read. I think KHInsider posted a whole playlist with English subs, showing the most important stuff from the Chi games. Here's the link to the playlist if you're interested: https://youtu.be/mZBcljsfUIM. Most of the videos aren't long, so it's tolerable. (There is also stuff from Union X that I have not yet watched. I can't ever seem to keep up with this big plot.)

I love the series and all, but I sort of hope it won't be like another 10 games. How the heck is it even going to continue after the Xehanort plot? Right now, the whole lore of Kingdom Hearts seems to be built around him. Oh, was Chi/Union Chi supposed to explain the Keyblade War and all that stuff before it? Or did I misremember that? 

Yeah, I'm playing them on ps4. I'll be make a post when I'm done, hopefully before the 29th January. I actually really don't know much about Chi at all, so I was just guessing it didn't go into the keyblade war. So much to catch up on lol

I bought "Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice" some days ago and is pretty amazing game, easy puzzles but the graphics and the story is so captivating, and yeah is not that kind of games were you push a button and says "walk here and do this" you need to figure it out alone

19 hours ago, platy said:

Yeah, I'm playing them on ps4. I'll be make a post when I'm done, hopefully before the 29th January. I actually really don't know much about Chi at all, so I was just guessing it didn't go into the keyblade war. So much to catch up on lol

Cool! It’s a lot of games to get through, but at least they’re mostly entertaining (besides the convoluted story). Ooh, okay yeah, the plot is a huge... mess, to nicely phrase it lol 

I think you mentioned it earlier, but what are your thoughts on KH3? I saw the other day that the 100 Acre Woods is making a comeback in the newest game. I thought that world would be done after KH2 xD

@monkeybanana4 I think the new 100 Acre Woods looks super cute, I look forward to it. The whole game is looking fantastic, I'm sooo excited. Also I just started Chain of Memories, I'm disappointed they made it into a 3D game. The game boy version was gorgeous and the card system worked much better. At least the pixel art made things interesting, now I'm constantly aware that I'm just playing the exact same thing as the first game again. The custcenes with Organization XIII are cool, but apart from that, honestly I'm very bored. 

@platy Yes, the graphics look superb and the gameplay looks a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it! Aside from the convoluted story, I can't wait to play it.

Ooh, that's cool! What were you thoughts on the HD remix for KH1? What did you think about the Mysterious Figure boss?

Yeah, they transported CoM into a 3D game. I feel it gets a little crazy, trying to manage your cards in 3D during battle especially against the Organization bosses. I've never played the original version, but I saw some video footages of it, and the card battle system felt more manageable in the 2D version (at least that was my impression?). The game does sort of feels stale if it's not focusing on the main Organization plot. At the least the graphics look nice, and thankfully, it's not too long of a game. KH2 final mix is a lot more fun, so I think that'll make up for the CoM remix.

@monkeybanana4 I don't remember this mysterious figure boss. When/which world was he in? 🤔

I went back to my GBA today, just to try fighting Marluxia again. I actually managed to do it after so many years! I was level 76 lmao I'm now playing Riku's side of things. As for re:Com on the ps4 I'm just skipping all the dialogue in the Disney worlds. 

@platy It's a newly added secret boss in Hallow Bastion for the remix version. I think you can fight the boss when you return to the world a second time. He's located in that area where you fight Maleficent for the first time. (I forgot the exact name of the area. It's been a while since I played it.)

That's good to hear! Better late than never, right? Wow, that's a super high level, lol. How did you finally manage to defeat him on the GBA version? 

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Bought from PSN on Friday night, and was pretty much glued to my PS4 playing this game for the whole weekend. Somehow clocked in 16 hours already (though I left it running while AFK, maybe actually played 14-15 hours). 

THE GOOD:

- Main character - I chose Kassandra, of course. She's sassy and charming and tough. Has impressive arms. Love the addition of dialogue choices, even if they may not amount to much. I already did one "romance" and it was hilariously awkward. It started with a couple of lines of flirting, and ended up like "I'll help you get medicine for your father. Can we fuck first? No?" then "I got the medicine. Can we fuck now? No?" then "I found out what you're really up to. But that's ok. Can we fuck now? Yes? YAY!"and then it was "Hey you can join my ship crew. BTW I'm never gonna have any more meaningful interactions with you."

- Combat - I'm playing on easy mode and having a blast. I'm basically doing what I did in Origins, which is play full stealth, until I inevitably fuck up and have to fight head-on. It's always so satisfying to hide in the bushes and stab people in the back.

- Mercenary "nemesis" system - While obviously not as fleshed out as the Mordor games, I find it interesting to have all these named mercenaries wandering around the world, ignoring you until you get a bounty on your head. Which actually seems pretty hard to do, at least the way I'm playing. I wanted to go up a rank yesterday, so I had to purposely kill some innocent people to get someone to hunt me. I was worried about this before, reading impressions from people complaining that they always have max bounty and mercenaries relentlessly chasing them everywhere, but they must have been stealing & killing like crazy (or maybe difficulty affects this?)

- Traversal - Seems identical to Origins, but with the huge addition of no deaths from fall damage. A big annoyance in all previous AC games is accidentally jumping the wrong way and watching your character do a suicide jump, and then having to sit through a loading screen. Odyssey doesn't care. I've jumped off of very high cliffs and only had to deal with 5 seconds of "ouch my ankle" run animation. (They still have those famed piles of hay/leaves, but only under sync points, and strangely I can't even hide in them anymore)

THE BAD:

- Loading times - Somehow runs worse than Origins. Hitting a black loading screen every time you start a dialogue scene kinda sucks. Also, there's a black loading screen when using the eagle a little bit away from Kassandra then going back to her. The entire game will occasionally freeze for 1-2 seconds when it's loading in a new area (usually only happens when I'm speeding around on my horse). Overall, not a huge deal for me, just a bit annoying.

- UI choices - Wasn't a fan of using a cursor for menu screens in Origins, and it's here again. I'm not playing with a mouse! Also, to do a lot of things, I have to hold down a button for like 3 seconds. Dismantle equipment, sell stuff, unlock a skill, even save the game. Why.

NEUTRAL:

- Story/World-building - I'm not very far into it, but I feel it just isn't as "grabbing" as Origins was. (Then again, in the early stages of Origins I was really motivated to go find the wife.) Also kinda feel like Origins was better at world-building, like with NPCs going about their business, or maybe that's just because the customs of Egypt are more foreign to me.

- Ship combat - Loved this, for the most part, in Black Flag, but here I've only done it a couple of times and I already feel a bit tired of it. That may change after I upgrade the ship. Which brings me to...

- Upgrade costs - The ship is expensive to upgrade! Though I guess I'm not supposed to upgrade so much this early in the game.

I’ve been switching between ‘Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu!’ and ‘Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD’ 

I recently put an order in for the game ‘Wii Music’ just for the shits and giggles, literally cost £2.50

Currently i cant decide maybe someone can help me do that with the 200 games list i got.

So far:

Overwatch

AC Oddessy

Lord of the rings: Shadow of war 

Played Darksiders 3 for 40 minutes and refunded it lol. I knew the game was a bit different from the previous Darksiders games but it ended up bugging me more than I had expected. I'll probably just watch a let's play of it on youtube at some point if I'm bored...

Well, gonna just replay Darksiders 1 & 2 once again. I love them so much.