SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

On 10/23/2017 at 8:24 AM, YuyoDrift said:

@peffyYou have to let me know how that game is (as far as content, and if it is worth getting now, or until it is on sale).

Also, lol at not being a prime member. Do you guys not save on pre-orders for games with Prime? It's the only reason I can think of to not have it yet.

Amazon in Canada is generally pretty shitty. I only order from Amazon 2-3 times a year.

- The range of products is garbage compared to Amazon US. 

- I live less than one hour away from their warehouse, so I already receive packages in 1 day (UNLESS they decide to let it sit there for days before they actually ship it)

- I have no use for Twitch Prime and Prime Video

- There might be pre-order discounts, but I buy so few games at launch that it's not worth it to pay for prime just for those discounts.

South Park was great. My memory of the first game is clouded, but I think I liked Fractured better. The combat was more interesting and moderately challenging (I played on the hardest difficulty and didn't die in combat once.. came really close tho). I spent about 25 hours on it and almost 100% everything. I think it's worth buying now if you're a big fan of South Park and you liked Stick of Truth... and if you find toilet humour really funny. (but it will probably have a good discount on black friday...)

For the record, I am not actually a big fan of South Park OR toilet humour, and I still loved the game. There are enough moments that remind you that these are kids playing superhero (like when battles get randomly interrupted by "CAR!!") that make it quite charming. 

Never played Lord of the Rings Online and told myself "let's give it a try". It's as if I'm playing WoW with a different story but hey, I'm enjoying it so far. Especially because there aren't lots of games I can play on my computer these days because of my set up, so yeah.

I caved in to the hype and bought Assassin's Creed Origins. I'd been reading people's impressions and seeing their screenshots/gifs on another forum, and just got more and more excited to play it. I was planning to wait for Black Friday sale, but on Friday night, Sony e-mailed me a 20% coupon for PSN store...

.. it's pretty sad that I got 20% off, evaded sales tax because it was digital, and STILL HAD TO PAY $64.

(At regular price, with sales tax, it would've cost $90.39. Such is Canadian life)

ANYWAY, wow, what a great game. It's like playing a dumber Witcher 3, but in a way better setting, with a more likable character, with stealth archery and the ability to climb almost anything. I climbed up a huge obelisk for no particular reason (there was only bird shit at the top). I climbed up one of the pyramids of Giza and got an amazing view of Egypt. The world building and the actions of random NPCs are amazing. I was in a temple for some side quest and noticed a dog hanging out with a family. First dog I'd seen in the game. After running around for a bit, I heard the dog barking like crazy. I was like WTF shut up dog. I went to see it and it was actually chasing a random cat that had wandered into the temple. Holy shit. I could write a lot more about this kind of stuff but getting lazy now.

Sure it still has that Ubisoft open world jank. At some point I'll probably get tired of side-questing, but that happened with Witcher too. I started on Normal difficulty, and while it was manageable, it wasn't super *fun* for me, so I dropped it to Easy. I'm enjoying headshotting fools with my bow (thank you, aim assist), and wrecking them in melee if they spot me. So satisfying. (well, it's maybe a little too easy, but that's better than being a little too hard) I will criticize the lack of dismemberment, though. I'm slicing this dude in the face with a khopesh (sickle sword), as part of the standard execution animation, so WHY ISN'T HIS HEAD FLYING OFF?

p9NFwAP.gif

I really love that his idle animation is his pet eagle landing on his arm. And look how pretty this area is.

My favourite gameplay moment so far: Some idiot guard was chasing me. I climbed up a ladder and there was a ballista at the top. I got on it and aimed for the top of the ladder. As the guard reached the top, I fired it into his face and sent his dumbass flying. It was just like in my Game of Thrones.

I'm late, but I started playing Stardew Valley recently because I wanted to know what all the hype was about. It does a pretty good job of fixing some of the annoying parts of the Harvest Moon format.

The only thing is, the characters aren't particularly likeable. The only ones that I find interesting so far are the drunk woman, the cranky old man and the homeless guy, and unfortunately you can't marry any of them.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:03 PM, violetchain said:

I'm late, but I started playing Stardew Valley recently because I wanted to know what all the hype was about. It does a pretty good job of fixing some of the annoying parts of the Harvest Moon format.

The only thing is, the characters aren't particularly likeable. The only ones that I find interesting so far are the drunk woman, the cranky old man and the homeless guy, and unfortunately you can't marry any of them.

I think most of the romanceable characters are jerks to you at the start, but as you build up hearts with them, they'll get nicer and more likable. 

I chose Sebastian. Had a couple of nice sweet moments with him <3

55 minutes ago, peffy said:

I think most of the romanceable characters are jerks to you at the start, but as you build up hearts with them, they'll get nicer and more likable. 

I chose Sebastian. Had a couple of nice sweet moments with him <3

Yeah, I was going to pick Sebastian because he's the most emo one, but now I'm thinking either Shane because he's so rude that I'm actually kind of curious about his backstory or the doctor because his dialogue is kind of charmingly sad next to all the bland cheerful characters.

I recently played through Odallus, what a fucking great throwback to NES platformers! This is retro worship done right, in my opinion. Only downside for me is that the controls felt a tad janky sometimes. Still, highly rec'd to people who like the original Castlevania games, Demon's Crest and that sort of thing. Gonna play Oniken now, another game by the same devs which seems to be following the style of games like Ninja Gaiden, Vice: Project Doom, Shatterhand and such. Should be goooood.

I just wanted to comment on weird translation issues. 

I'm almost finished with Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. The game gives you the option to play as a boy or girl. There are frequent instances of my female character being referred to as "that guy" or "sir", and there's even dialogue where other female characters will joke about how my character is looking at their boobs (or something similar to that). It's really strange unless they intended my character to be a well-known transgender lesbian lech. It seems more likely that the translator was not aware of the gender choice, and/or the original Japanese writing itself was written for a male character, with the gender choice being thrown in last minute.

There are a few other Japanese -> English games I've played recently that all had egregious translation problems. Either awkward or flat-out wrong (and I notice because I play with Japanese voices). A good example is a line from Norn9 Var Commons. I don't remember the exact line, but it was something like "平みたいになるよ". The kanji 平 means "calm/peaceful/flat", and AFAIK is usually not used by itself. In this case, the 平 (Hei) is supposed to be a nickname for a guy called 平士 (Heishi), thus the translation should've been "You're going to become like Hei". But, the English line was "You'll become peaceful", which made zero sense, and I would've been really confused if I had not been listening to the Japanese voices. 

This all comes across as sloppy work. How are the editors not catching these errors? Do they even have editors?

Edited by peffy

Been playing a lot of Overwatch when I have the free time, since I finally caved and slapped down the cash for it. It's been all solo comp this season though, since all of the people I know who have OW have entirely replaced it with Destiny 2 :<

On 10/11/2017 at 4:04 PM, peffy said:

I just wanted to comment on weird translation issues. 

I'm almost finished with Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. The game gives you the option to play as a boy or girl. There are frequent instances of my female character being referred to as "that guy" or "sir", and there's even dialogue where other female characters will joke about how my character is looking at their boobs (or something similar to that). It's really strange unless they intended my character to be a well-known transgender lesbian lech. It seems more likely that the translator was not aware of the gender choice, and/or the original Japanese writing itself was written for a male character, with the gender choice being thrown in last minute.

There are a few other Japanese -> English games I've played recently that all had egregious translation problems. Either awkward or flat-out wrong (and I notice because I play with Japanese voices). A good example is a line from Norn9 Var Commons. I don't remember the exact line, but it was something like "平みたいになるよ". The kanji 平 means "calm/peaceful/flat", and AFAIK is usually not used by itself. In this case, the 平 (Hei) is supposed to be a nickname for a guy called 平士 (Heishi), thus the translation should've been "You're going to become like Hei". But, the English line was "You'll become peaceful", which made zero sense, and I would've been really confused if I had not been listening to the Japanese voices. 

This all comes across as sloppy work. How are the editors not catching these errors? Do they even have editors?

Have to draw a teeny tiny tangent line from this to just strange translation choices. While replaying Final Fantasy XV recently (still on it, even without the updates the game is still like 60+ hours) and I have a very basic grasp on Japanese, but I could tell that some of the choices they made in the translations were just... odd. Mostly because they usually changed the tone of the conversation completely from one end to another. 

As an example, after a decently tough fight with a level 51 bandersnatch, Prompto follows up the battle with a statement: "生きてる! (I'm alive!)" to which Noctis responds with "おめでとう (Congratulations)."

However, how they translated Noctis's response was "Enjoy it while you can." 

I just... don't understand why they decided on that. I mean sure, congrats could be taken as subtle sarcasm, but "Enjoy it while you can" is nothing if not in-your-face mocking. 

I have not played the game in English, but have they just completely revamped the personalities of the chocobros? Another reason for me to avoid the English voiceacting, because apparently the subtitles for the original Japanese voiceacting are the same as the English voiceacting.

I would ever play it like that only because I've kinda grown fond of Ignis's English voiceacting and his superduper posh British accent. And also because "That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!" makes me giggle.

I just play 3DS lately and my three go-to’s are Animal Crossing, Pokemon Ultra Moon, and Monster Hunter Generations. 

A bit off topic, but I am gonna see SCORE Orchestral Game Music on both wednesday and thursdsy, and I am really looking forward to it. I don't know exactly what they'll play, but it says music from Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy VI, Conan Exiles, Battlefield 1, Halo, The Witcher 3, BloodborneAssassin's Creed IV/ Black Flag, Wing Commander, Secret of Mana, MegaMan, Horizon Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy VI. The bold one should be pretty fucking massive live, but judging from the few videos I've seen they're gonna make everything sound amazing. I expect these two nights to be among the highlights of the year for me, so I got pretty big expectations.

4:23 - Dr. Willy's Castle. That sounds so fucking amazing.

Glad to see that .hack//GU series was released as a remastered collection for the PS4, plus the new 4th volume and I'm currently playing that game now. I could've bought the vol's separately of it's original release but pricey.

Picked up  a game during the Black Friday sales, That would be Batman: The Enemy Within (Season 2).  The episodic point-and-click games became more interesting in a Video Games these days. It gives you excitement. Sort of missed playing Life is Strange.

I've been playing a surprising amount of games lately. I bought a new TV as a wedding present to myself (lol), so it's been encouraging me to spend more time in front of it. The three games I have finished in the past month or so were NieR Automata, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and Doki Doki Literature Club....and man, that last one, if you guys haven't played it, you seriously need to stop what you are doing and pick it up. It's free on steam, and I don't want to say anything about it, as the less you know, the better it is.

I just got my PS4 the other day and I've been playing DigDug and Galaga. Really wanting to get Dragon Ball FighterZ later on.

I'm an old school bitch ;w;

2 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

I just played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and got nauseous within an hour or so lol..........it's gonna take me a while to get through this game...

Really great game tho, I hope you can get  past the nausea and see it through to the end. Headphones are a must for this game,  the sound engineering is just out of this world and the added sound isolation and immersion a good pair of headphones add just amplifies the game's atmosphere so much.

I'm currently chipping away at Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and it's ridiculous huge world. Really great world and environments, very fun, deep, and technical battle system, and the soundtrack.... just amazing. I know this is a year with 5/5 OSTs like NieR Automata, Persona 5, and Zelda BOTW but srsly this is probably gonna beat all of those in my book.

Just started playing Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, and, although it's confusing as hell atm, I still love it *_*

I also bought Pacman and Megaman Legacy Collection 1, but I hate them already TwT

Shovel Knight are one of the best games post-SNES era IMO. Absolutely brilliant throughout. It feels new, fresh and original while maintaining a very familiar and classic feeling to it. Modern classic!

On 12/26/2017 at 12:05 AM, Original Saku said:

Really great game tho, I hope you can get  past the nausea and see it through to the end. Headphones are a must for this game,  the sound engineering is just out of this world and the added sound isolation and immersion a good pair of headphones add just amplifies the game's atmosphere so much.

I beat it last night and it was good!! I got used to the camera motion/visuals and managed to play through it~ There seriously needs to be more psychological horror games out there. The story was very touching and moving, and great soundtrack as well! Sadly, I couldn't play with headphones though...... :( I played on a tv screen and didn't have wireless headphones or headphones with a long enough chord so I pretty much missed out on that experience. Kinda upset about that but oh well.......

4 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

I beat it last night and it was good!! I got used to the camera motion/visuals and managed to play through it~ There seriously needs to be more psychological horror games out there. The story was very touching and moving, and great soundtrack as well! Sadly, I couldn't play with headphones though...... :( I played on a tv screen and didn't have wireless headphones or headphones with a long enough chord so I pretty much missed out on that experience. Kinda upset about that but oh well.......

Ah well I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's okay just replay it in a year or two down the line when your headphone game is better :) ggood thing about this game is that its not super long so replays are more realistic and viable.

I've recently taken up games again on pretty much all of my free time. I just got a new desktop too so I'll be looking in to PC gaming again. But right now I'm STILL WORKING ON FFXV but decided to take a break on it again to play the new .hack remaster that came out. I also bought World of Final Fantasy, FFXII Zodiac Age, and re-subbed to FFXIV. I swear I like other franchises they just have a lot of new stuff out right now... :x

However, I'll probably set that stuff down for a bit and see whats on steams etc now. : x

anyone wanna exchange discord, steam, or psn IDs?