SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

I'm avoiding playing Hollow Knight, cuz I simply don't want it to end. What a game. exactly my kind of stuff. My GOTY so far. It's THAT good (granted, I haven't played BotW yet, so...)

Also having a blast with ZeroEscape: The Nonary Games. If you have any interest in visual novels, but like me, the japanese-y weird stuff keeps you away (I'm looking at you, Danganronpa), this is the game for you. Of course it has it's share of weirdness, ladies with excessive cleavage and overused tropes, but it was WAAAAAY toned down in comparison to most VN around. The story is really interesting aswell, focusing on scientific/urban legend lore, and the way it folds, with multiple endings/timelines that influence one another, with a smart gameplay that doesn't require you to replay everything just to see other story paths, makes for an easy recommendation.

6 hours ago, reminiscing2004 said:

Must have been a while since you last played, I think it went free to play like 6 years ago ahahah

im pretty sure i stopped playing somewhere after the engineer update or something actually, i started playing l4d2 more extensively instead lol

I finished FF XV. Mini rant/review with mild spoilers.

Spoiler

I'm mostly sad because the game will never be what it could have been. If you look and read into it, it has one of the richest lores out there and lots of bread crumbs were left for the players to piece things together.

If the developer was given at least another year I don't think it would've come out messy like this. The story telling is awful, choppy, I had no idea what was going on until I read on it after the end. Speaking of the end, I think it's one of my favourite FF endings (Followed by 13-2's true ending). Ardyn is one hell of a villain and I'll just say thinking back to the last scene made me cry for a few days after. This had potential to be the biggest heartbreak fest of 2017, if only they had developed the characters more...

I don't hate this game, so many fun things here, like the cooking and I fucking loved every second of fishing. The summons finally were redeemed after making fool of themselves in the XIII series. No spaceships or bike summons here, when I saw Bahamut and Ifrit my heart basically stopped beating due to how fucking amazing these renditions were. Ifrit's theme 'Hellfire' could go right up there with Sephiroth's theme in terms of portraying the badass-ness of the character. Also, when Ifrit puts out his capoeira moves in that cutscene during the fight? I asked out loud if he was Brazilian. But anyway,  Is there anything more terrifying than seeing Titan running towards you? And the idea of Bahamut being a knight? I could go on for hours about this.

I hope we'll have a tighly knit group of protagonists in the games to come, it was nice having that feeling of travelling with your bros instead of 'I have to travel with these random people because fate put us together'.

I'll carry on supporting by playing DLC and whatever else they bring out, it's just painful because so much work went into it, but in the end it had to be rushed and it's impossible to deny its flaws. But on the bright side, SE went and tried the open world action RPG formula, it didn't work too well, so now we can go back to turn based combat hopefully. It was a fantastic experiment, regardless of the bad things. I can't wait for FF 16 and I just hope it doesn't have a hectic and messy development.

Also just completed Inside, the developer once again succeeds in telling a chilling narrative without the use of any words whatsoever. Also props go to whoever worked on that creature at the end. Must've been hell.

Currently playing Hotline Miami 2 (last time I played was in September 2016 and I forgot the story and don't understand anything that's happening :^) ) and Always Sometimes Monsters , now THIS is a good use of the RPG Maker engine. Surprisingly fun!

Also started A King's Tale...so far it's repetitive as hell. The graphics are nice though.

I'll probably only be able to pick up Nier in a month or two and I'm dodging spoilers like the bullet hell sections in the game...until I downloaded the OST it just spoils the end for me (pretty much). Still, I can't wait to see how it goes.

Edited by Platy

4 hours ago, Platy said:

I finished FF XV. Mini rant/review with mild spoilers.

Hide contents

I'm mostly sad because the game will never be what it could have been. If you look and read into it, it has one of the richest lores out there and lots of bread crumbs were left for the players to piece things together.

If the developer was given at least another year I don't think it would've come out messy like this. The story telling is awful, choppy, I had no idea what was going on until I read on it after the end. Speaking of the end, I think it's one of my favourite FF endings (Followed by 13-2's true ending). Ardyn is one hell of a villain and I'll just say thinking back to the last scene made me cry for a few days after. This had potential to be the biggest heartbreak fest of 2017, if only they had developed the characters more...

I don't hate this game, so many fun things here, like the cooking and I fucking loved every second of fishing. The summons finally were redeemed after making fool of themselves in the XIII series. No spaceships or bike summons here, when I saw Bahamut and Ifrit my heart basically stopped beating due to how fucking amazing these renditions were. Ifrit's theme 'Hellfire' could go right up there with Sephiroth's theme in terms of portraying the badass-ness of the character. Also, when Ifrit puts out his capoeira moves in that cutscene during the fight? I asked out loud if he was Brazilian. But anyway,  Is there anything more terrifying than seeing Titan running towards you? And the idea of Bahamut being a knight? I could go on for hours about this.

I hope we'll have a tighly knit group of protagonists in the games to come, it was nice having that feeling of travelling with your bros instead of 'I have to travel with these random people because fate put us together'.

I'll carry on supporting by playing DLC and whatever else they bring out, it's just painful because so much work went into it, but in the end it had to be rushed and it's impossible to deny its flaws. But on the bright side, SE went and tried the open world action RPG formula, it didn't work too well, so now we can go back to turn based combat hopefully. It was a fantastic experiment, regardless of the bad things. I can't wait for FF 16 and I just hope it doesn't have a hectic and messy development.

I really feel you there. I really did love the game, but like when you really look at what it could have been (or should have been), it makes me a bit sad. That said, I do feel like it renews my hope in FF as a series. I couldn't stand XIII and they rode that in to the ground, so I was kind of thinking that I was going to be done with the series as a whole if FFXV wasn't great. 

5 hours ago, Platy said:

I'll probably only be able to pick up Nier in a month or two and I'm dodging spoilers like the bullet hell sections in the game...until I download the OST it just spoils the end for me (pretty much). Still, I can't wait to see how it goes.

Good luck with that haha.

Every article on the web currently has spoilers, and the NieR subreddit posts nothing but.

Make sure you play it soon!

7 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Good luck with that haha.

Every article on the web currently has spoilers, and the NieR subreddit posts nothing but.

Make sure you play it soon!

Mail me your copy since you're finished with it :^) 

1 hour ago, Ito said:

I really feel you there. I really did love the game, but like when you really look at what it could have been (or should have been), it makes me a bit sad. That said, I do feel like it renews my hope in FF as a series. I couldn't stand XIII and they rode that in to the ground, so I was kind of thinking that I was going to be done with the series as a whole if FFXV wasn't great. 

I like XIII, the first one not so much, but XIII-2 and Lightning Returns were proof that SE listened to fan feedback and tried to improve a much hated series (even if they were beating a dead horse, they were enjoyable games. LR is my in top 5 fun RPGs).

Now with XV they listened to the fans too much and it ended up impacting the outcome of the game. So that's, like, 7 years of lessons learned for the studio. Like you I was thinking the series would stop selling if XV wasn't a 10/10, but my hopes were renewed too, because if anything it just shows that the potential is there. 

1 hour ago, Platy said:

Mail me your copy since you're finished with it :^)

Not even! Getcha' own damn copy lol

Barely on the 2nd playthrough, since I'm a filthy casual and all I do is explore and check out 2B.

The multiple endings that TaroKun is known for, are the main reasons I'm still playing.

I'm so addicted to the lore, that now I want to play the drakenguard series to find out more lol.

Plus the music. OH GOD DAT MUSIC.

Edited by YuyoDrift

39 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Not even! Getcha' own damn copy lol

Barely on the 2nd playthrough, since I'm a filthy casual and all I do is explore and check out 2B.

The multiple endings that TaroKun is known for, are the main reasons I'm still playing.

I'm so addicted to the lore, that now I want to play the drakenguard series to find out more lol.

Plus the music. OH GOD DAT MUSIC.

I can fangirl with you about the music. It's a masterpiece. Like the previous Nier, the best parts were the story and the music. The multiple endings were super confusing, I got all of them except the one where you have to delete your save and start all over again :evil:

It makes me really happy that a series that was super unknown has now gone mainstream, thank you Platinum Games :hug: I can't even begin to describe how amateur the combat was before they stepped in.

I want to play drakengard so bad, I saw my friend playing it a few years ago... talk about badass female protagonists.

I watched a 30 minute video summarising the lore of that world so far, needles to say, you could spend months trying to fully make sense of this stuff... Yokotaro, how does your brain work?

Edited by Platy

been playing Persona 5 ever since it came out and it's really great so far, i mean of course, look at how amazing it looks!! they went all artsy on this, everything is so flashy that i sometimes don't know what i'm looking at haha, like the menus for example, but i'm getting used to it now. it's not totally a bad thing though because at least it doesn't look boring or too simple. i played about 9 hours already but a lot goes on at the beginning so it wasn't until about 4-5 hours that i finally got the freedom to roam around the city and explore. can't wait to see all the fun activities and weird stuff coming up ahead!

oh, and i love using the ambush attack. reminds me a bit of tenchu~

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Zelda has really sunk its teeth in to me, I've been playing it a fair amount recently. This is pretty surprising given that I have never been a Zelda fan. I could go on and on as to why that is, but that is a different topic. But they hype got me and I picked up Breath of the Wild. And man am I glad I did. I still think the combat is a little clunky, but man this world really is magically. I am not sure if I have ever played an open world game that has felt quite as alive of BotW.

11 hours ago, Tokage said:

Bayonetta came out on PC so I can try and play that for like the 3rd time soon probably

yes it did. a really nice surprise, and a surprisingly solid port.

Sega <3

I honestly wish they'd port Bayo 2 cuz I've been dying to play it, I'm just not willing to shill out the money for a Wii U bc the rest of the console's library doesn't look that appealing to me outside of maybe like... Wonderful 101 or something

Knowing Nintendo, tho, it'll never happen

Edited by Tokage

I'm still working on my Pokemon Moon, I just bought Monster Hunter Generations and I still play Soul Calibur V online. It's pretty old but I love it and there's a surprising amount of people that still play online. My favorite is Leixia. 

leixia_scv_wp_by_talismanvaldictorian-d4

4 hours ago, Tokage said:

I honestly wish they'd port Bayo 2 cuz I've been dying to play it, I'm just not willing to shill out the money for a Wii U bc the rest of the console's library doesn't look that appealing to me outside of maybe like... Wonderful 101 or something

Knowing Nintendo, tho, it'll never happen

I would throw my soul at that! 

I was lucky enough to have a friend lend me his wii u so I could play bayo2. Such a solid sequel, but it's impossible that it will come to steam.

I think my only chance of playing it again is buying a Nintendo switch in the future. 

FInished playing ABZU. Wonderfully immersive and scenic taking video game as an artsy type to the next level. A bit short clocking about less than 5 hours, but it's got replay value.

Started playing something old school called Final Fantasy 9. It's my first time playing it and so far, not bad at all.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I got myself a Nintendo Switch and a copy of this (I'd been waiting a whole month and a half to play LoZ:BotW) I also bought Shovel Knight for the Switch

I'm late as hell but I bought FInal Fantasy Explorers the other night and I love it! It reminds me of Monster Hunters. I love that it's not turn based. I hate that.

Just purchased The Caligula Effect for the PSVita.

Most people are going to dismiss it since Persona 5 would be a better choice, but I've been waiting for its port for a while now.

I finally got my new controller in the mail so I ordered final fantasy x/x2 remastered and I'm so excited. I haven't played in so long. 

Finished Final Fantasy 9 on steam. It was ok overall. Better story than FF8 without a doubt.

Now I started on Trails in the Sky the 3rd Chapter. I'm already in love.

I need to vent.

I've been playing Gravity Rush on Vita, and generally having a good time. Flying around collecting purple orbs is kinda fun. Until the game started making me do more and more combat, and introduced "sliding" which may be the worst-controlling mechanic ever. Whatever, it sucks but I can deal with it.

And then came Episode #10: Curiosity Killed the Cat. Hey, awesome idea for a level. Let's severely cripple the main fucking mechanic of the entire game, the gravity powers. Then design a level wherein the player must jump up a series of platforms to fight a boss situated on a very narrow sideways lighthouse. While they are doing this, there are annoying flying monsters attacking them. Oh, if the player falls off the platforms, too bad, they have to jump all the way up there again. 

I jumped up those platforms like 10 fucking times due to accidentally falling. Finally got the boss down to about 1/4 health. Tried to use Kat's special move on the boss, while aiming the reticle directly at the boss's weak spot. Kat decides to completely reverse direction and target the 2 flying monsters instead. She kills them and then continues flying out into space, completely ignoring the boss. She runs out of gravity juice and falls back to the bottom. My HP is dangerously low at this point, and there are no health pickups around. Fine. One last time. I try to climb up there again. But the flying monsters have respawned and they kill me. Now I have to do the entire boss battle again. Oh wait, no I don't. I close the game. I'm fucking done. Moving on to something else.

--

Oh, I should also talk about Yakuza 6. There's a lot of good things about it, which I wrote about at length earlier. Also the platinum was far easier, so it's the first Yakuza game I've platinumed. BUT.......

- I have some misgivings about the story. Can't really complain about it without spoiling it. Overall, though, the ending was satisfactory.

- Combat was somewhat disappointing. They removed the ability to buy/find weapons that you can keep in inventory. You can only pick up what enemies use/drop, and you lose the weapon after the battle is over. This means that there are WAY FEWER heat moves. Well, not just weapon-based ones. Even the bare-handed heat moves are fewer in number, unless I just suck at finding them.. Also Kiryu is stuck in one combat style (or, maybe 1.5 styles..) for the entire game, which was a huge letdown after Ishin, 0, & Kiwami.

- The big minigames were disappointing. Gang creator and baseball. They are mostly simulations. You can only set up teams and send them to fight/play games, with very minimal interaction required.

- Cat cafe was disappointing. Collecting them was kinda OK, but then there's not much you can do with them except sit down in the cafe and hope one of the cats sits on your leg and lets you pet it. There was only one animation for this, unless I was just unlucky at getting something different. Oh, the only other thing to do is buy expensive food for the cats. You get to watch the cats eat for 3 seconds and then you get a random item, which is most likely useless junk.

- A lot of the series' staple minigames were removed. All gambling is gone (except Mahjong). UFO catcher is gone. Shogi is gone, not that I ever knew how to play it. Billiards is gone. Fishing was replaced with underwater harpoon throwing (plays like an on-rails shooter) that got old fast. It simply wasn't as satisfying as watching Kiryu whip a giant fish out of the water.

- Karaoke was reworked into a much prettier presentation. However, during a particularly intense song, the framerate got pretty bad and made it harder to hit buttons on time.

- Most substories were kinda unmemorable.

ANYWAY in conclusion, it's a good game but really pales in comparison to Yakuza 0, in terms of combat styles, story, minigames, and substories. Imagine if we got Yakuza 0 in this game's engine. Wow that would've been insane. Imagine if we could've made ponytail-Majima take selfies despite that being anachronistic!! I hope all the removed stuff was just cut due to time constraints, and the next Yakuza game has most of it added back in.