SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

I've started a playthrough of Danganronpa cuz I saw praise everywhere, everyone saying really nice things about it, but to be quite honest, so far I found it pretty... retarded, to say the least.

Really, a bunch of stereotypical looking characters with their stereotypical personalities acting all weird and a lame ass teddy bear acting stupid, with little to no gameplay or player agency, with thousands of unnecessary steps just to get anywhere in the story...

I know what a visual novel is supposed to be, but I was expecting something more like 999, Zero Time Dilemma, or even battle royale vibes... I think this is too "japanese" for me, if you get what I'm saying.

point is, the story really gets any better? Is it worthy to keep playing?

Edited by chemicalpictures

1 hour ago, chemicalpictures said:

Not sure where you're at, but I'm at the investigation of the first murder.

Everything up to that point has been kind of slow, and kinda too linear.

Seems to be picking up some steam it looks like.

I will try and play it a bit more and get back to you, as this game is for when I'm carpooling or at lunch lol.

4 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

I've started a playthrough of Danganronpa cuz I saw praise everywhere, everyone saying really nice things about it, but to be quite honest, so far I found it pretty... retarded, to say the least.

Really, a bunch of stereotypical looking characters with their stereotypical personalities acting all weird and a lame ass teddy bear acting stupid, with little to no gameplay or player agency, with thousands of unnecessary steps just to get anywhere in the story...

I know what a visual novel is supposed to be, but I was expecting something more like 999, Zero Time Dilemma, or even battle royale vibes... I think this is too "japanese" for me, if you get what I'm saying.

3 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Not sure where you're at, but I'm at the investigation of the first murder.

Everything up to that point has been kind of slow, and kinda too linear.

Seems to be picking up some steam it looks like.

I will try and play it a bit more and get back to you, as this game is for when I'm carpooling or at lunch lol.

It's a game that takes a while to get going, the story is pretty basic the first few chapters but after that it starts ramping up and it presents a lot of genuinely interesting mysteries to solve. And yeah Danganronpa is Japanese as fuck so if that's your problem then I can tell you it's only gonna get weirder XD

Is there a game like Halo for PS3????? i was thinking about going with cod AW????????????

I got the "Pawlatinum" trophy in Catlateral Damage on Friday. Toughest platinum ever thanks to whatever form of motion sickness it caused me. 

(platinum not actually hard to get, just required a small amount of grind)

Then I went on a bit of a spending spree and bought Jazzpunk, Akiba's Trip, and Corpse Party: Blood Drive.

Akiba's Trip - This will probably sit in my backlog for a good long time. Bought it because it was on sale and it's totally normal to find it funny to beat the clothes off of anime teens vampires and no it's not creepy at all haha nope.

Corpse Party - Also one for the backlog, because after I bought it, I realized that it requires you to know what the hell happened in the previous 2 games. Guess I'll have to read some plot summaries. I just bought it on impulse because it was on sale and it is totally normal to want to see gruesome bloody anime death horror and don't worry it's totally not going to cause deep psychological trauma haha nope.

Jazzpunk - I played and beat and platinumed this game on Saturday. Yeah it came out on PC like 3 years ago, and yeah I'm sure it's waaaaay cheaper than the $15.99 I paid for it, but this is the price I pay for platinum. Overall it was a really great experience, with tons of funny gags and references to other games, and it was just fun to walk around and explore and find/do random shit. Sure it is pretty short, but $15.99 is about what I'd have to pay to go watch a movie and it wouldn't even give me a single trophy, so in that respect, VALUE.

Favourite moments:

Spoiler

1. Acquiring a fly swatter and just walking around town slapping everybody in the face with it. Added bonus of everyone in this town reacting in Japanese.

2. Finding the hidden "Beat up this car" minigame, which is a reference to the best part of Street Fighter 2. Also unexpectedly experiencing the joy of first-person Tatsumakisenpukyaku (Ryu's Hurricane Kick). Not. That could've made me puke.

By the way, I now have over 5000 trophies. Congratulate me on wasting my life away.

Edited by peffy

Just finished Pony Island, and what a nice little meta breaking game! More or less 01:30h  of gameplay, full of funny and creepy moments, a really unique experience! Saying anything else would be a spoiler, so if you can, check it out!

17 minutes ago, peffy said:

Corpse Party - Also one for the backlog, because after I bought it, I realized that it requires you to know what the hell happened in the previous 2 games. Guess I'll have to read some plot summaries. I just bought it on impulse because it was on sale and it is totally normal to want to see gruesome bloody anime death horror and don't worry it's totally not going to cause deep psychological trauma haha nope.

I have to check Corpse Party aswell, heard some interesting things about it! let us know if it's any worth later!

Currently playing Valkyrie Profile 2 for the ps2.  I recently beat VP1 for ps1 so yeah.  It's a pretty damn good game, though Lenneth is by far cooler than Silmeria or w/e the main chars name is, I can't remember at the moment.  However, the side characters and story in VP2 are hands down better than VP1.  Arngrim is the fucking man, I'm guessing they copied him off Guts.

Rise of Iron expansion.

I don't know if I just don't care anymore or what, but I really don't mind taking my time with this expansion.

The grind has worn me out.

Shovel Knight is fantastic. I've mentioned it quite a lot on here.

I think Rogue Legacy looks interesting and it seems to be in the vein of Shovel Knight.

I played a bit of Rogue Legacy too, and to me it felt more like a... roguelike version of a Metroidvania. Also played a bit of Ori & The Blind Forest, that game is ABSOLUTELY beautiful, please check it out if only to enjoy the scenery

agree about Ori & The Blind Forest. I've played it quite a bit and liked it a lot. Beautiful, haunting atmosphere that it's impossible to fight. If you're not drawn into the world you're probably quite sick and should rather be at a mental hospital.

Ok I have been playing Amnesia Memories for the Vita the last couple days.

This is my first Otome game, and even though it is so linear, it is a very nice change of pace.

I don't even mind the fact that I am a woman in game, toying with like 4-5 guys emotions lol.

Anyone owned a GBA? 

Playing Riviera: The Promised Land for the first time. It has a different approach to RPGs, and as a result, it is a bit different than your typical JRPG. 

If any of you is looking for a fine Metroidvania, you can't go wrong with Ghost 1.0! What a nice little game, from the same creator of UnEpic (which if you are not familiar with, PLEASE open your steam client right now!)

Nice story, fun dialogues, tight gameplay and a fair price for about 10~15 hours of content!

finally playing fatal frame v and i love it so fucking much already.

everybody looks so pretty though. they certainly upped their eye candy and graphics, which of course isn't a bad thing for the graphics, but i could care less about making people look prettier.

i'm still so bad with the camera controls that my health gets drained so fast. Dx

Edited by plastic_rainbow

I'm currently playing Naruto Shippuden Ninja Storm 4 and I blame the steam sale a few weeks ago. 

And occasionally I play Final Fantasy Type 0 but I'm stuck at a boss and too lazy to level all the characters... :wan-48:

just finished fatal frame v, the main story, and my rating for it went all the way down to a 2. worst fatal frame game ever. even four is better. it was all about the eye candy and graphics after all. i liked the concept they were going with but the story felt kinda meh towards the end, and i didn't care much for the characters except for rui and ren. there were a few things i liked though, like the fatal glances and surveillance cameras part, but it was a rather weak horror game overall.

also, the extra story for ayane is so random and laughable. i can't believe they did this to a fatal frame game.

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Frogware's new Sherlock Holmes game was on sale on PSstore so I went and bought it. 

I'm already loving it a lot. It's been a long time since I played Crimes and Punishments and The Devil's Daughter is almost exactly like the previous game, but with new plot of course. I mean, why fix it if it ain't broken? 

Have to admit though, this was the one time when I kinda regretted buying the PS version instead of PC version. Normally I prefer consoles just for the sake of easy control, but since the Sherlock Holmes games don't really require fast reaction time I'd be fine using a mouse and keyboard.

All in all I just love the brain teasers the game gives me. Just like with Ace Attorney. 

Currently playing : MAFIA III (so much fun!), ROTTR (2nd run, this time on PS4), The Witcher III goty (I had to start again, too bad you can't keep your game, it might be the first time I'm confront to this; I'm not sure to finish this game one day at this pace xD), and very soon (like, this week-end and I'm so excited): Dragon Quest Builders!!

Edited by eiheartx

got dragged back into FTL:AE. No game can make one scream FUCK YOU, GAME. Like FTL. Good times;

Will be playing the hell of Overwatch to get those sweet skins;

Deciding if the new RotTR DLC is worth looking into. Anyone got it already?

First 30 hours of Divinity: Original Sin are quite good, but the lack of guidance on quests can make you feel a little lost sometimes;

Will start Mirror's Edge Catalyst ASAP! Loved the first one!

Edited by chemicalpictures

After beating Shovel Knight & the Plague of Shadows DLC, I moved on to Unmechanical, a cute little puzzle game where you play as a tiny helicopter robot inside some weird semi-organic semi-mechanical underground base. It's pretty stylish. The puzzles aren't TOO hard, but they can stump you very briefly. Very minimalistic control scheme too

Also been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer off and on, and holy shit, it's ADDICTIVE... it's a roguelike dungeon crawler x rhythm game that lets you import music from your own collection as well (which is a nice bonus, although the original soundtrack is great as well imo)

Currently playing Soma, a sci-fi survival horror game by Frictional Games, the company behind the Penumbra games and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. And basedon that info you should know what this game is all about. I'm only a couple of hours in, but so far it's really good. The atmosphere is as brilliant as it is creepy, and it's just pure horror. Super effective!

Will continue as soon as the coffee is brewed.