SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

(back on topic)

I'm still inching my way through Yakuza 0. I'm only on chapter 4 (out of 11, I think) after ~25 hours.. so many sidequests lol. Chapter 4 is the 2nd chapter featuring Majima, and it's set in Osaka, so the Kansai dialect is messing with my reading ability. Can still make out what's going on, generally, anyway.

Actually starting to have a little trouble with the combat.. for some reason, in this chapter the enemies suddenly started attacking me non-stop (as in punching and kicking me), and they knock Majima down very easily. Super annoying, especially when 3 of them corner me and break through my blocking. I even dropped the difficulty down from Normal to Easy, but it didn't affect their attack speed. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Had to change my playstyle to "super cautious" and just dodge nonstop until I can get one guy to separate from the group. It's not what I consider a fun way to play.

In Shovel Knight, I made my way through what I think is the final dungeon, despite what I consider an excessive amount of "bullshit platforming". But I was super hyped to take down the Sorceress. Only to find out that I have to get through a boss rush first. Totally killed my hype. On my first try, I died at Polar Knight after forgetting he creates spike traps, and then didn't feel like trying again. That was a few days ago. I'll probably try again when.. IF.. I feel like it. Maybe. 

Just played 2 hours worth of Mighty No. 9, and coming from a long time MegaMan fanboi, this was not a failure of a game as everyone has been led to believe. I knew the hotshot reviewers on the internet were fishing for attention.

The game is pretty cheesy with the voice acting, I'll admit that. Yet, the MegaMan Game Series never really had voice acting to begin with, so it's something that everyone has to get used to. Beck's voice actor sux hard.

The graphics are a bit lacking in the cutscenes, but seriously, if you're going to base the game on the graphics alone, then you're not judging the game as a whole.

I really like the gameplay. It's a mix of the Megaman/X series movement and shooting techniques, yet no charge on the buster (arm cannon), so it's more like the classic NES MegaMan. Dashing will take time to get used to, but it becomes a valuable resource once you master it. Saved my ass countless times. The new absorption technique is nice, but really isn't needed. The stages seem to score in an arcade point fashion, but I could do without it.

Just like it's brother games, dying becomes quite tedious, and reminds me of the old times where I used to yell and shriek in aggravation because I'd get to the boss with only 1 life left , after being in the same stage for an hour that i'd just speed run it lol FML. So many spikes and pits and objects trying to kill me, and beck not responding to my controller's inputs like OH MY GOD JUST LET ME FUCKING GET TO THE BOSS GODDAMMIT!

Anyways, I'm having fun playing this, and hopefully I can beat it soon. $30 is justifiable for this game.

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

Just played 2 hours worth of Mighty No. 9, and coming from a long time MegaMan fanboi, this was not a failure of a game as everyone has been led to believe. I knew the hotshot reviewers on the internet were fishing for attention.

On the contrary, it appears that the reviewers were right. I had summarized the reviews as "If you're a die-hard Mega Man fan, you might like this." You appear to be a die-hard Mega Man fan, and, big surprise, you like it. So far, anyway.

Reviewers can (or should) only give their honest opinion of their personal experience with a game. Every person has different opinions. Just because you do not agree with the reviewers does not mean they were "fishing for attention".

By the way, 16/22 reviews on MetaCritic gave it a "mediocre" score, in the range of 50-70. They were not calling it a "failure". I know the internet likes to pretend anything below 90 is total shit, but let's be real here.

20 minutes ago, peffy said:

On the contrary, it appears that the reviewers were right. I had summarized the reviews as "If you're a die-hard Mega Man fan, you might like this." You appear to be a die-hard Mega Man fan, and, big surprise, you like it. So far, anyway.

Yes.

Although, if you've never enjoyed a MegaMan game (or have a history of sidescrolling games), then this game will not persuade you otherwise. Plenty of other games to play. Not directed to you obviously, but anyone who just jumped on this "train of fail" for the lulz.

I've read the reviews on MC, and people who funded the game should have known full well how KS works (this is a large majority of the commenters). All I am reading is them whine about how their money was not well invested, and in turn, made them sour and not appreciate the effort devs put into the game. Shocker.

How does that help me? Idgaf about your poor investments (I funded $100 btw to the Kickstarter), or what you read from IGN/Gamespot/3 years of news coverage, tell me about the game you just played, please.

Those who were hyped up to ecstasy levels (Fanboys and Hardcore Gamers), were expecting an uncharted 4 looking game, really? Welcome to Kickstarters homie.

Truly, the real fools are those who blew 1k+ in investment (for a character design or handshake or whatever it was (mostly done because they had the money to do so)) for a game that may never have even came out, and were not happy with the result. Nothing in a KS is set in stone

For those who have played the game, and did not enjoy it, I can understand why they did or did not enjoy it. Most actually said that you'd enjoy it, and gameplay is good.

41 minutes ago, peffy said:

Reviewers can (or should) only give their honest opinion of their personal experience with a game. Every person has different opinions. Just because you do not agree with the reviewers does not mean they were "fishing for attention".

Well seeing as a lot of their profit is from click bait articles, I am gonna assume the latter. Websites as big as them thrive on it. Often, their articles stick to the game itself, so I'm not bashing these websites. Just the sheep that follow their every word like a religion, and don't give games a chance.

I was actually referring to websites that I have never seen, or heard of, write an article out of the blue, recycling the same reasons IGN or any other big gaming websites have said. No new opinion, just copy/paste.

Idk but I hate the status a lot of gamers have given themselves lately, so much entitlement, enjoy the fucking game for gods sake. When the original MegaMan for NES came out, I'm sure they recieved the same criticism. Inafune must not be new to this.

I was arguing with some D-Bag about this game yesterday, and I was getting my jimmies rustled, when I realized that this troll never even played the game at all, or any megaman game at all. Holy shit people on the internet sure have changed in the last decade.

Sorry for the rant. Wrong place for this.

6 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

I've read the reviews on MC, and people who funded the game should have known full well how KS works (this is a large majority of the commenters). All I am reading is them whine about how their money was not well invested, and in turn, made them sour and not appreciate the effort devs put into the game. Shocker.

Ok.. so I clicked through to a few of the actual reviews from major websites and not a single one of them mentioned the Kickstarter campaign(s) in the review.....?  You seem to be reacting to non-reviewers comments on the game. Or the user reviews, and everyone SHOULD know those are 99% trash.

6 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Well seeing as a lot of their profit is from click bait articles, I am gonna assume the latter. Websites as big as them thrive on it. Often, their articles stick to the game itself, so I'm not bashing these websites. Just the sheep that follow their every word like a religion, and don't give games a chance.

Your stance on this clickbait review thing is puzzling to me. When nearly every site is agreeing with each other and giving the game a score in the same range, that is not clickbait. No one's gonna click on one specific 6/10 review when every other review is 6/10. For example, if some site had given Uncharted 4 a 1/10 while every other site gave it 9/10 or 10/10, I MIGHT consider that a clickbait review score, IF they did not have any good reasons for it.

And I fail to see what the "sheep" have to do with the reviews themselves. You have every right to be angry that a lot of people will take one look at Gamespot's 5/10 score and decide they don't want to bother touching the game, but that doesn't make it Gamespot's fault, and that doesn't mean Gamespot's review is unfair, biased, or clickbait.

You seem to be angrier at internet trolls than at reviewers. If that's the case, I don't know why you mentioned reviewers in your post at all.

1 hour ago, peffy said:

Ok.. so I clicked through to a few of the actual reviews from major websites and not a single one of them mentioned the Kickstarter campaign(s) in the review.....?  You seem to be reacting to non-reviewers comments on the game. Or the user reviews, and everyone SHOULD know those are 99% trash.

I would like to disagree. I personally don't even pay attention to major game outlets when it comes review time. It is widely known that a lot of these sites get sponsor money and "review" money from companies to make their shit look good, and if that's not the case most video game journalists (the big sites mostly) these days don't even care about video games and it's just more a paycheck to them or a thing that they have to do for their job. There is a clear loss and lack of passion in the gaming journalist corner over the last decade and we've been seeing less and less genuine reviewers, it has been proven time and time again with shoddy reviews with unfounded opinions based on inconsistencies. The point I'm trying to make is most of the best reviews out there are from the consumer who don't have a stake in the review who can just plain out give their opinion on it with out any consequences and genuinely show their passion and enthusiasm in their review, of course you will have to read between the lines with some of these due to bias. Overall it is way better than big industry publications in my opinion and I always go to you tube and check out impressions and opinions from many different people in the fandom before I even think of checking IGN or Gamespot XD

As far as Mighty no. 9 goes I will hold my peace. I have not played it and I probably won't play it, because based on everything I've seen of the game over the lengthy development time, the game just looks bad (to me). Uninspired ugly art style, horrid voice work, a cool game mechanic (absorption) that ultimately looks like it never left the concept phase, and the inability on Inafune's part to prioritize the health and well being of his game instead of the money and crap that none of the fans ever asked for. of course just my opinion formed through many years of trailers, demos,and interviews that released during and after the development cycle.

2 hours ago, Original Saku said:

It is widely known that a lot of these sites get sponsor money and "review" money from companies to make their shit look good, and if that's not the case most video game journalists (the big sites mostly) these days don't even care about video games and it's just more a paycheck to them or a thing that they have to do for their job. ... the best reviews out there are from the consumer who don't have a stake in the review... I always go to you tube and check out impressions and opinions from many different people in the fandom before I even think of checking IGN or Gamespot

I am aware that this USED to happen. Famitsu is a famous example. Another is Jeff Gerstmann, who was fired by Gamespot in 2007 for giving a somewhat-negative review to a game that was heavily advertised on that site. He went on to co-found Giant Bomb, which has been rather outspoken about not letting ad money or relationships with industry people dictate their review scores & opinions. According to him, the culture around that kind of stuff has largely changed since then. And a couple of years back, some people noticed that the big sites were starting to use "the whole review scale" and giving lower scores than they used to.

Let's take a look at a recent, 'mediocre' example. Mirror's Edge Catalyst. If any publisher was going to pay for good reviews, it'd be EA, right? 

Destructoid - 85

PC Gamer - 78

Gamespot - 70

IGN - 68

Game Informer - 65

EGM - 60

Eurogamer - no score, but a clearly mixed review

Maybe EA should get a refund. There are plenty of examples of AAA games getting universally bad/mixed reviews. And when the majority of them give high scores to a game, the gaming community tends to agree. Recent examples - Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Witcher 3. So, sorry, I don't believe journalists are currently getting paid off to write glowing reviews.

I personally don't even read reviews. I mostly skim through gameplay videos before I make a purchase decision. I'm only defending the reviewers because of what I have heard about the industry. I read gaming forums and listen to gaming-related podcasts, mainly from Giant Bomb and Kinda Funny, sometimes featuring a few Gamespot people, more than I actually play games. I hear plenty of "passion" in their voices. I know, from their histories, that they wanted to be 'game journalists' since they were teenagers. Some of them have been doing it for 15-20 years. I've heard nothing to suggest that these guys, at least, don't care about games and only want paychecks. (Of course, it is entirely possible that some people from other sites think this way, I cannot vouch for all of them.)

I do agree that legit reviews/comments from consumers can be very helpful, perhaps even moreso than the major sites. However, there are a lot of biased opinions (which could be obvious or hidden), and most of all, a lot of people who clearly never even played the game just giving it 10s or 0s. This is why I said MetaCritic User Reviews are 99% trash. To me, it's not worth wading through all that shit.

If you disagree with anything I just wrote, we'll probably never agree, so I'm going to leave it at that. I've spent too much time on this and I have no wish to derail this thread any further.

Edited by peffy

27 minutes ago, peffy said:

I am aware that this USED to happen. Famitsu is a famous example. Another is Jeff Gerstmann, who was fired by Gamespot in 2007 for giving a somewhat-negative review to a game that was heavily advertised on that site. He went on to co-found Giant Bomb, which has been rather outspoken about not letting ad money or relationships with industry people dictate their review scores & opinions. According to him, the culture around that kind of stuff has largely changed since then. And a couple of years back, some people noticed that the big sites were starting to use "the whole review scale" and giving lower scores than they used to.

Let's take a look at a recent, 'mediocre' example. Mirror's Edge Catalyst. If any publisher was going to pay for good reviews, it'd be EA, right? 

Destructoid - 85

PC Gamer - 78

Gamespot - 70

IGN - 68

Game Informer - 65

EGM - 60

Maybe EA should get a refund. There are plenty of examples of AAA games getting universally bad/mixed reviews. And when the majority of them give high scores to a game, the gaming community tends to agree. Recent examples - Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Witcher 3. So, sorry, I don't believe journalists are currently getting paid off to write glowing reviews.

I personally don't even read reviews. I mostly skim through gameplay videos before I make a purchase decision. I'm only defending the reviewers because of what I have heard about the industry. I read gaming forums and listen to gaming-related podcasts, mainly from Giant Bomb and Kinda Funny, sometimes featuring a few Gamespot people, more than I actually play games. I hear plenty of "passion" in their voices. I know, from their histories, that they wanted to be 'game journalists' since they were teenagers. Some of them have been doing it for 15-20 years. I've heard nothing to suggest that these guys, at least, don't care about games and only want paychecks. (Of course, it is entirely possible that some people from other sites think this way, I cannot vouch for all of them.)

I do agree that legit reviews/comments from consumers can be very helpful, perhaps even moreso than the major sites. However, there are a lot of obviously biased opinions, and most of all, a lot of people who clearly never even played the game just giving it 10s or 0s. This is why I said MetaCritic User Reviews are 99% trash. To me, it's not worth wading through all that shit.

If you disagree with anything I just wrote, we'll probably never agree, so I'm going to leave it at that. I've spent too much time on this and I have no wish to derail this thread any further.

sorry peffy :(

Played Destiny after a few weeks, and well, I think I'm done with PvP for good. Everything has been nerfed to shit.

Edited by YuyoDrift

hey don't worry we're not derailing this thread, this is basically the place for discussions like this even though it's called "What video games are you currently playing?", I would've changed the title and focus of this thread a long time ago honestly, but I didn't start the thread originally, so it kinda doesn't feel right... But for future reference this is pretty much the general game discussion thread more centered on games that are already released and related discussion like the one we are currently having :) while the other thread is for speculation and news posting for upcoming games that have yet to be released. No worries you are good.

18 minutes ago, peffy said:

Destructoid - 85

PC Gamer - 78

Gamespot - 70

IGN - 68

Game Informer - 65

EGM - 60

I do agree that legit reviews/comments from consumers can be very helpful, perhaps even moreso than the major sites. However, there are a lot of obviously biased opinions, and most of all, a lot of people who clearly never even played the game just giving it 10s or 0s. This is why I said MetaCritic User Reviews are 99% trash. To me, it's not worth wading through all that shit.

I do agree that I might have exaggerated a bit when it comes to the pay offs, because you are right it probably doesn't happen much these days... I still believe it happens though just not as much as it used to.

Yeah if you had specifically said metacritic user reviews than I would have 100% agreed with you, that place is just full of trolls and fucked up people who just hate on games as a hobby most of the time.

I don't know about Gamespot's passion or drive really, so I can't say. I don't usually frequent that place because their review system is a awful incoherent mess. I can vouch that there are people in the industry though that just do it as a job and a paycheck, I'm not saying everybody or even most, in actuality it's probably a small percentage.

I still stand by the statement that game journalism is no where near as passionate and genuine as it was 10-15 years ago, that's just the truth... I can see it when I read reviews from back then and reviews from today or hell not even just reviews just journalism in general.

It's cool people disagree all the time, it wouldn't be a fun discussion if everybody agreed with you xD

I'm still playing Overwatch on PC! @Valicious has joined me in my quest to form a great team and kick ass. If you play on PC - and you should it's by far the best version of the game - add us on Battle.net and let's get started! If we could create an MH league that would be so cool.

13 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Idk but I hate the status a lot of gamers have given themselves lately, so much entitlement, enjoy the fucking game for gods sake. When the original MegaMan for NES came out, I'm sure they recieved the same criticism. Inafune must not be new to this.

I was arguing with some D-Bag about this game yesterday, and I was getting my jimmies rustled, when I realized that this troll never even played the game at all, or any megaman game at all.

I think same goes for when a product is overpraised as well. Sometimes people want to have opinions about a trendy topic so they can talk about it, but it's just easier to jump on the hype train than to put in the time into something to form their own opinions. I think those kinds of people are also likely to be cheap consumers who don't want to pay for the game. If a game is really bad, they don't want to make a bad investment. If it's really good, most likely the game is sold for a higher price than they'd like to pay. But they must talk about it!

Thoughts on recent kickstarter projects for Mighty No.9 & Bloodstained.

Spoiler

I too am feeling a little underwhelmed with Mighty No.9. 

Personally, mixed on the 2.5. With games like Castlevania and Mega Man, I've grown accustomed to them being presented in 2D sprites and love the hand drawn aesthetics. I also feel like with animations, you can achieve more dynamic and dramatic visuals. Not as flashy for sure, but I think there's more charm personally.

I admit, I'm pretty biased with the graphics. For the Mega Man X series, Mega Man X4-X6 were my favorite visually, and for Castlevania, Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood. Anything that isn't visually similar I sort of see as inferior. But I know it's all a matter of taste and I guess I have a very certain taste for the aesthetics found in those games. 

The gameplay for both seem pretty good though. Standard but, at the very least, they both look fun.

Thoughts on game reviews.

Spoiler

I like reading reviews from all perspectives. I think it's fun to compare between consumer reviews, bloggers, youtubers, etc. If a game has certain flaws or praiseworthy elements, usually all the reviewers will mention them in similar lights. Of course, their overall impression will be different and, as mentioned, there are many trolls, but I feel like, without having played a game myself, this gives me a pretty clear picture of what is good and bad about the game. Personally, I like how ProJared reviews games. His reviews are usually balanced and he gives enough details on why he feels a certain way about a game. His humor is kind of hit and miss for me though.

I've been playing some Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master and Streets of Rage II for the Sega Genesis. I feel like an old fart haha. Too bad I can't play co-op online for SOR (Probably there's some crazy way to do it, but I can't bother myself to learn right now XD). Oo, also some Hotline Miami 2. Finally beat the first game 2 weeks ago and just bought the 2nd one.

19 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

sorry peffy :(

No need to apologize!

I saw what I perceived to be inaccurate statements presented as facts, and felt the need to offer...... a different perspective.

I might have sounded too harsh though, so it is I who should apologize.

19 hours ago, Original Saku said:

I still stand by the statement that game journalism is no where near as passionate and genuine as it was 10-15 years ago, that's just the truth... I can see it when I read reviews from back then and reviews from today or hell not even just reviews just journalism in general.

I'll have to take your word for that. I was barely playing any games 10-15 years ago, let alone reading about them. I *HAVE* seen a few long-form articles about the industry recently that were really interesting and well-written, though. Patrick Klepek and Jason Schreier (both currently at Kotaku) are the two shining examples that are usually mentioned.

I've been burned so many times by buying games based solely on good reviews or general internet HYPE that I no longer trust anyone else's opinion. My gaming tastes appear to be very different from most reviewers. The best purchasing advice I get is from raw gameplay videos, demos, and general information like "how difficult is it" or "are Japanese voices included".

17 hours ago, ghost said:

Sometimes people want to have opinions about a trendy topic so they can talk about it, but it's just easier to jump on the hype train than to put in the time into something to form their own opinions. I think those kinds of people are also likely to be cheap consumers who don't want to pay for the game.

I feel like most of them are children with no money. Or perhaps, adults with the minds of children. They just want to be part of the zeitgeist, or some kind of social media mob. The internet has given them too much power to speak.

Playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut atm. Started a new save file, this time around I'm doing a hacking/non lethal playthrough on the  hardest difficulty :) This game still feels really fun even though its my 3rd? 4th? time playing through it... I can't wait for mankind divided.

Gonna be picking up Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE tomorrow, I'm hoping that it's gonna be able to fill my Persona urges XD

Finally caved.......... and ordered a PS VITA. Did you guys know they were $150 on Amazon yesterday?

Got mine in orange :). Also bought a 32GB memory card. I had no Idea Sony made them proprietary Lulz.

Just got a free copy of Persona off a friend, when he realized he had 2 for some reason lol.

53 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

ordered a PS VITA

Welcome to VITA ISLAND. Home of the neglected and abused refugees of PlayStation fandom.

(sorry, inside joke)

And yeah, it needs proprietary memory cards, which are too expensive and probably one of the big reasons the Vita "failed". I continue to make do with an 8GB card cuz I'm too cheap.

I'm really curious about what made you buy a Vita. Other than the sale price and a free copy of Persona. 

1 hour ago, peffy said:

I'm really curious about what made you buy a Vita. Other than the sale price and a free copy of Persona. 

Hmph. hmph. Smart Girl. I'll never tell :P

Since the PSP was introduced, I wanted to get it. I just couldn't justify the price. Then the VITA came out, and after all the support, I was on the fence. Then the Integration for PS4 play was introduced, and I was more interested. Then I was told that I could have my own wallpaper lol and that was more tempting.

Actually,  I really wanna buy and play all the MegaMan PS1 games from PS Store lol

Edited by YuyoDrift

The Vita is dope, there's a good amount of quality games to be played on them if you are a niche gamer,  not so much though if you want the big triple A titles.... Plus you can have access to the PS1 and PSP library as well, and down the line you could always mod it and install Custom firmware and really open up the possibilities of the device.

On 6/22/2016 at 9:56 PM, Zeus said:

I'm still playing Overwatch on PC! @Valicious has joined me in my quest to form a great team and kick ass. If you play on PC - and you should it's by far the best version of the game - add us on Battle.net and let's get started! If we could create an MH league that would be so cool.

I'm going to create and maintain an Overwatch thread after the RarezHut auction this weekend.  I really would like to have an MH league, that'd be so cool.  Competitive play is going to be added in the next patch (and you can earn points to buy exclusive cosmetic rewards, including golden guns), and how cool would it be to tear up the ranks with an MH team?

I've never been able to play FPS games before because I have no muscle control in my hands or fingers, but I finally managed to figure out a system to be able to play Overwatch.  It involves an xbox controller, mouse, a heavily customized button config, and a toothbrush.

Add me on battle.net!  Valicious#1906

16 hours ago, Valicious said:

I'm going to create and maintain an Overwatch thread after the RarezHut auction this weekend.  I really would like to have an MH league, that'd be so cool.  Competitive play is going to be added in the next patch (and you can earn points to buy exclusive cosmetic rewards, including golden guns), and how cool would it be to tear up the ranks with an MH team?

I've never been able to play FPS games before because I have no muscle control in my hands or fingers, but I finally managed to figure out a system to be able to play Overwatch.  It involves an xbox controller, mouse, a heavily customized button config, and a toothbrush.

Add me on battle.net!  Valicious#1906

This happened yesterday. Play with us and this can be you. @Valicious knows I do this on the regular.

I started Silent Hill 4 a month ago but continued playing it again today. For some reason I get headaches easily after an hour or so. Maybe it's my weakness to motion sickness again, even though there's very little play time in first person mode, which btw I almost thought I was playing a different game when the game started in first person, haha. I'm about 3 hours in and it's alright so far. Not expecting too much since I've already played the first three masterpieces.

I remember the first time I played a Silent Hill. Around 16 years ago, I bought a modded PS1 and a stack of bootleg games. Me & a friend were digging through the games and had no idea what most of them were. We randomly picked up Silent Hill and booted it up. So I was walking around some deserted foggy place for a few minutes, and thinking "god this is boring", and then out of nowhere some crazy dogs (or maybe giant birds?) jumped out of the fog and killed me. We freaked out and immediately shut the game off.

And that was the last time I played a Silent Hill.

Oh GOD

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is a PS+ title for Vita for July.

I imported that game in December 2014 because the collector's edition had a really pretty box and it was on sale.

I STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED IT

>_<