SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

Still on that SNES emulator shit, currently playing through Demon's Crest. Goddamn, does that game have some fantastic sprite graphics. Love 'em.

Vita Report:

I just finished Hatoful Boyfriend. I was expecting a lot of dumb silly parody pigeon dating... but it surpassed all of my expectations. There wasn't really a lot of dating... I was surprised at how short each path was, but shit eventually goes down.

I will be playing Puyo Puyo Tetris on and off. I understand the basics of Tetris, as it's a game I first played when I was like 6 years old. However I suck horribly at Puyo Puyo. The focus isn't really on clearing the board, it's on making long chains of matches that will crush your opponent. Too advanced for me. The dialogue in the story mode is written for kids, which means it looks like a lot of hiragana with few kanji, which actually makes it harder for me to read X_X

PS4 Report:

I've somewhat made peace with Tales of Zestiria. Dropping it to easy mode and doing some hardcore herb picking/eating is making battles go a bit faster. Way too much backtracking though, especially for the side quests. ... on second thought, maybe battles are just going faster because I spent the weekend backtracking through old areas with weaker monsters. Shit.

I'm really trying to get into Souls games, but I think it's not for me. It's like a series of bullshit enemies that makes you try again until you memorize the position and how to deal with every enemy. The difficulty seem artificial, I don't know. they rely much more on bullshitting you than on proposing an actual fair challenge... And the PC port is kinda bad, there's few really annoying controlling bugs/issues...

Also playing Enter the Gungeon (fun fun indie shooter roguelike!), Hyper Light Drifter and of course, Dota 2!

8 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

I'm really trying to get into Souls games, but I think it's not for me. It's like a series of bullshit enemies that makes you try again until you memorize the position and how to deal with every enemy. The difficulty seem artificial, I don't know. they rely much more on bullshitting you than on proposing an actual fair challenge... And the PC port is kinda bad, there's few really annoying controlling bugs/issues...

Also playing Enter the Gungeon (fun fun indie shooter roguelike!), Hyper Light Drifter and of course, Dota 2!

Difficulty isn't actually artificial at all, it's all about learning the enemies movesets and how to accurately counter certain enemies, it's a learning experience. and honestly souls isn't a hard game, I mean you technically start the game out on the easiest difficulty. if you want to see artificial difficulty you should try to play the game on New Game+7, that shit is bananas xD

but i digress, souls is not for everybody. some people won't be able to get passed the unique storytelling that  Miyazaki is known for and that's alright, some people just prefer a more linear explicit form of storytelling and plot.

44 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Difficulty isn't actually artificial at all, it's all about learning the enemies movesets and how to accurately counter certain enemies, it's a learning experience. and honestly souls isn't a hard game, I mean you technically start the game out on the easiest difficulty. if you want to see artificial difficulty you should try to play the game on New Game+7, that shit is bananas xD

but i digress, souls is not for everybody. some people won't be able to get passed the unique storytelling that  Miyazaki is known for and that's alright, some people just prefer a more linear explicit form of storytelling and plot.

That's it, I really wanna dig into cuz I find the story amazing for the few bits I've read around... the world and setting are GREAT, indeed! but when a regular dude takes 90% of my life with a hit from his spear strategically positioned so you won't see him coming after climbing a stair, it's really hard to not feel cheated on, lol xD

But I'm totally trying, currently having a hard time fighting my way to get to Vordt. I'm thinking on starting all over again with a tanker build, may be best suited for begginers like me...

Oh you're playing 3? That's cool,  I kinda assumed you were playing 1,dont know why xD but yeah man, that's a good mindset for sure, keep playing and eventually you'll get better and more used to the mechanics.

A few beginners tips below if you want some help, no story spoilers below btw just in case your worried about spoilers

First of all make sure you level your hp and your main damage Stat (strength, dexterity, etc.  Pretty much whatever scales the most with your weapon of choice or the type of build your going for)  as early as possible, your hp will probably be the most urgent thing your gonna want to get high, as new players especially need it to more efficiently learn the game since the more hp you have the more hits you can take thus the longer you can stay alive.  I would recommend getting hp to at least 20 early on.

Upgrade your weapon to +3 as soon as possible  with titanite shards, which should take a total of 12 shards.  Weapon reinforcement is super important in this game as basic damage scaling with your stats won't get your damage high enough early on in the game to be dealing sufficient damage to some enemies and most bosses.

I hope this helps you, if you have any questions feel free to ask me, I'm also knee deep into ds3 right now and am more than willing to help out fellow players :)

No need to fight all the enemies to get to Vordt, just run if you already know how to get there.

If you want to get better then try to master the basics of gameplay: timing. There is no point in pumping up health and tanking, there are still bosses later that will 2-shot-kill you if you don't master the gameplay.

IMO the best advice for beginners is to grab a bow/crossbow and kite an enemy one at a time. Fight them one at a time. It is a slow method but it will help you figure out each enemy's trait one at a time.

1 hour ago, JukaForever said:

If you want to get better then try to master the basics of gameplay: timing. There is no point in pumping up health and tanking, there are still bosses later that will 2-shot-kill you if you don't master the gameplay.

Of course this is true, although I recommend pumping health purely because it's easier to learn the game if you have more chances to mess up and get hit by accident and still survive... tanking will get you no where in this game for the most part. My rule of thumb is if it's your first playthrough then you should pump health so you get more chances to survive mistakes during boss encounters thus more time to learn boss patterns. Many challenge/speed runners do this on their first playthroughs when they are tying to learn boss move sets and how they react to different things. overall it's just good practice to have more health than you need when learning these games imo.

Timing is a big part of the game for sure, especially when it comes to dodging. I wouldn't bother with parrying until later, especially if you're a beginner. Overall parrying is no where near as easy or overpowered as the first game, so it shouldn't used as a crutch, but more as a situational mechanic for certain enemies and encounters. Backstabs are still really good but not as easy to land as previous games since enemies overall have better A.I. now and some even have anti backstab moves that prevent you from landing them.

yeah kiting is definitely very viable, no use in charging multiple foes at once, that's just asking to get rekt.

Started playing Tales of Zestiria on the PC using my usb xbox controller. So far, it plays fine on this platform. Haven't encountered any problems. The battle system seems a lot like Tales of Graces f.

3 hours ago, Flame-X said:

Started playing Tales of Zestiria on the PC using my usb xbox controller. So far, it plays fine on this platform. Haven't encountered any problems. The battle system seems a lot like Tales of Graces f.

yeah surprisingly enough ToZ is actually a really decent PC port, which is crazy because Bamco have horrible track records for their PC ports, and their last Tales port which was Tales of Symphonia was absolute trash, but i mean that port was even bad on PS3 as well, so it was like they did a bad port of a bad port xD

here's Durante's port report for ToZ if youre interested in looking more into it;  http://www.pcgamer.com/tales-of-zestiria-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/

11 hours ago, SUBLIMINAL said:

Recently I've been playing Stardew Valley and The Sims 4 a lot.

How is Sims 4? Not sure my PC could handle it but love me some Sims.

2 hours ago, tetsuakira11 said:

How is Sims 4? Not sure my PC could handle it but love me some Sims.

If you could run The Sims 3 you'd probably be completely fine! It's much better in terms of optimisation. It has a laptop mode too, so even computers several years old can run it.

I didn't expect to enjoy it so much, considering all of the criticism it received, but it's become my second favourite in the series after The Sims 2! I love the cartoony artstyle, it lends itself well to the emotion system and it's so colourful and quirky~ That's just my opinion though, a lot of people think very differently.

36 minutes ago, SUBLIMINAL said:

If you could run The Sims 3 you'd probably be completely fine! It's much better in terms of optimisation. It has a laptop mode too, so even computers several years old can run it.

I didn't expect to enjoy it so much, considering all of the criticism it received, but it's become my second favourite in the series after The Sims 2! I love the cartoony artstyle, it lends itself well to the emotion system and it's so colourful and quirky~ That's just my opinion though, a lot of people think very differently.

Oh sweet! Thanks, I think I'll get it then!

Hopefully my PC won't explode xD

When I played Sims 1, I got bored quickly and started devising ways to kill them all.

Trapping them in a 1-square room with no doors and watching them cry and piss themselves to death is a classic way to go. I don't remember the other deaths.

Was at my local arcade, and they just received the new Machine for BlazBlue: Central Fiction.

Jesus Christ the new characters are OP. lol. Can't wait until it hits the PS4.

I've been playing the new Vita game Severed.

On the surface it looks like a game that I would hate.. first-person dungeon crawler? bleehh. 

But the game is quite fun and addictive. Combat consists of strategically swiping the touch screen to damage monsters and parry their attacks. The coolest part is "severing" - when you kill the monster, you get a chance to cut off their limbs (or other body parts), which you then use to upgrade your skills. Great art style as well (it is made by the team behind Guacamelee - support Canadian devs!!). 

So far, highly recommended for any Vita owners, if there are any around here..

Edited by peffy

Still playing Dark Souls 3, but i also started to play Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (that title) again. Getting crushed online from all the Sasukes, holy shit.

Just started up Overwatch beta for the PC. Reminds me of Team Fortress 2 but so much more polished. The presentation oozes with personality. I don't know if the $60 price tag justifies this online multiplayer only game unless if they plan to add a single player mode or add lots of free updates.

On 04/05/2016 at 1:43 AM, Flame-X said:

Just started up Overwatch beta for the PC. Reminds me of Team Fortress 2 but so much more polished. The presentation oozes with personality. I don't know if the $60 price tag justifies this online multiplayer only game unless if they plan to add a single player mode or add lots of free updates.

The fact that it can be likened to TF2 makes me want to try it, but the price tag turns me off too.

For those playing Dark Souls 3: FUCK THAT FROST KNIGHT ON THE TOWER BEFORE ROAD OF SACRIFICES. FUCK HIM AND HIS BULLSHIT NONSTOP ATTACK AND FROSTBITE. ARRRRRGHHHHHH

HE BULLSHITED ME SO MUCH I HAD TO CHEESE HIM BY MAKING HIM FALL INTO THAT ELEVATOR PIT

Edited by chemicalpictures

I got my Platinum trophy for Severed.

Started out totally in love with that game, but towards the end, the battles got a little more frustrating than I like. Almost quit. BUT I persevered and 'got good' and triumphed over the ugly eyeball monsters. My right finger, wrist, and forearm all hurt though. Too much fast rubbing of the Vita screen. I'm now relaxing with Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star... or I would be, if it didn't take the Vita 10 hours to download it.. 

Fun fact:

Severed game size = ~250 MB

Hatoful Boyfriend game size = 1.5 GB + 1.5 GB patch???  it's a visual novel with zero animation or voice acting.. obvious dumb PSN problem here

Edited by peffy