Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas Discussion Thread - 2015

Hell yeahhhhh! One of my absolute favorites from this year, Grieva delivered such an excellent mini album bursting at the seams with creativity (even if at times still loaned from MISSA/GAUZE XD). This year they released nothing but high-quality material. They're surely the winners of 2015 for me.

imo avelcain took 2014 and it there's one band that won 2015, it'd have to be grieva. thats a big statement, they honesty turned it OUT this year.

Whoa. First visual-kei band in the list.

I've been listening to them since Shuuen. I don't really listen to Dir en Grey so, I don't really know how they play homage to them, but I really enjoyed their discography so far. 

Whoa. First visual-kei band in the list.

I've been listening to them since Shuuen. I don't really listen to Dir en Grey so, I don't really know how they play homage to them, but I really enjoyed their discography so far. 

IX -NINE- is visual too ;) (or at least loosely associated)

Yeah, Grieva had a pretty great year of releases after what, I thought, was a kind of lackluster sophomore album. Good choice.

Grieva seemed to nail all the little things too... their looks are really pro, cover art is usually nice, and even the SE tracks are worth a listen or two.

(Going back a few days..) Had never heard Pelican Fanclub but am digging the hell out of it. Really like the vocalist for that band.

IX -NINE- is visual too ;) (or at least loosely associated)

Exactly after I wrote that "first visual-kei band on the list", suddenly I somewhat remember that XI-NINE is kind of visual and googling how they look.

I must keep up with this list. Just finished 水曜日のカンパネラ and it was a pleasant. Going to try PELICAN FANCLUB and IX-NINE tomorrow~

Both PELICAN FANCLUB and for example you sell the sea are two post-rock bands I've been introduced to only a few days ago. In fact, I didn't even know about them until I was putting the list together and decided to take a listen to both Dali and 負債. Especially for example you sell the sea (they need an acronym...STS?) as they are a new band that debuted this year and their debut album was enough to impress @fitear1590 and @doombox. Both are really immense pieces of work and it's really difficult for me to say which one is better. I will be checking out both bands further :3

LOL They do need an acronym. xD I think their twitter is shortened just to "sell the sea" so STS is a good one to use. I am liking all the fresh faces on the list so far this year. Lots of excitement!

Thoughts on the list so far:

Everything so far has been stuff that I haven't checked out this year, so I am really going to be basing my quick impression based on the PV we posted with them

Coldrain

I skipped this album since I am done with being bored by Coldrain. I honestly stand with that thought - the PV didn't do anything for me.

Chara

It's been a while since I have listened to Chara - I am hoping that the rest of the songs on the album are more exciting than the PV track which I felt was kind of a snoozer.

Suiyoubi no Campanella

I already made some comments on the track in the best new tracks thread - "Now this is interesting. There are certainly things that I feel don't work in this track, but its overall uniqueness and charm win out."

Pelican Fanclub

While I can't say that I am love with this track, I do did the sound these guys are producing and I want to check in to it more.

Kidori Kidori 

Not really my speed if I'm honest

IX-NINE-

I haven't been keeping up with the VK scene as much lately, so this bad has never really been on my radar. I can certainly understand people being put off by the vocals, and they are kind of on the weaker side, but some how not enough for me to be put off by them. I really enjoyed the vibe of the sample song. For sure going to be checking out more of these guys.

Grieva

The earlier Grieva stuff that I've listened to hasn't ever really done anything for me - I don't know if this changes anything for me. Though that youtube song was so compressed that it is hard to tell XD

for example you sell the sea

Besides having a terrible band name, I can really get behind this band. Song in the PV could have clipped like the first minute or so, but other than that, it was great.

im happy u guys changed ur minds after the unfavourable BNT feature

i liked it more than recitation and insomniac doze; i think its good middle ground between the more straight forward post-whatever of the former and bloated atmospheric time wasting of the later

it'll take a few more listens to fully sink in on me but the negative reception outside of here is still surprising to me considering how much they liked the shitshow that was insomniac doze.

im happy u guys changed ur minds after the unfavourable BNT feature

i liked it more than recitation and insomniac doze; i think its good middle ground between the more straight forward post-whatever of the former and bloated atmospheric time wasting of the later

it'll take a few more listens to fully sink in on me but the negative reception outside of here is still surprising to me considering how much they liked the shitshow that was insomniac doze.

I think a lot of it had to do with expectations. Many fans expected envy to stick firmly in one camp or the other and were disappointed when the mix of the two wasn't as bombastic as they hoped. I've seen a lot of other people criticize the album for not pushing the envelope enough. On the other hand, I had no expectations for "Atheist's Cornea". It was a "let's sit down, listen, and see" sort of deal. It didn't blow me away but it was totally solid from beginning to end.

Thus far, the only album I actually listened to is Grieva's. Which is a great pick. Shuuen was really lackluster but I feel like they've bounced back in a big way.

This is why I didn't bother participating in the "predictions" thread.. I could barely even name 25 albums I listened to this year, let alone 25 albums I actually liked.

Hah, I totally forgot to count this release when I was keeping track of the stuff I was listening to this year... I guess cuz it's only a collection of previously released (tho hard-to-find) tracks. In any case, it's a solid addition to the DEZERT catalogue, nice one. Makes me more hyped for their upcoming new album.

i omitted this from my personal year end list but gave it a shoutout along with biosphia's compilation since its awesome but not anything new except for gothic which barely counts

every track is killer, himitsu got me into dezert so im happy to see that here. the knife technique songs are fucking amazing and they didnt surface in any form outside of this comp on MH so its good they did this kind of a live-dist recap.

Finally got the chance to catch up with all of the top picks so far.  I'll just give a few words to the ones that piqued my interest.

Seems like there was a bit of a hype for PELICAN FANCLUB and I must agree that the featured song gets better with each listen.  I gotta find some time to listen to their album sometime~

IX-NINE sounds great, but like some other people the vocals don't quite do it for me either.  I suppose if I find a song I really like by them I may be able to pass that because the instrumentals sound good.

Now for example you sell the sea is something new I'm looking for!  I definitely need to check this one out!  The pv and mechanical mask is pretty damn cool too.

I really liked Envy's Atheist Cornea, but it still will not top Recitation for me.  Although I can say that that's one of the best album closers I've heard in a while.

DEZERT was a new band for me this year so unfortunately this album got jumbled with their other releases I listened to when I got into them.  But it's still a great album!