Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas! The Staff Album Picks of 2015.

Welcome to the 25 days of MH-mas! What is that you might ask? Well, the MH official reviewers and the staff have gotten together in an attempt to create a list of out favorite releases from 2015 (excluding December). Every day of the month we will be posting a new album until we reach the number one release on our list on Christmas day. Each album will come along with a little blurb from different staff members explaining why the release made it on the list (and an occasional dissenting opinion). Keep in mind that it is impossible to really create a list that captures all of the diverse tastes of the our individual staff members, so you will have to wait for the staff member's individual lists if you really want to know a certain member's favorites. Also, the list was limited to only Japanese album (cause, I mean, this is a Japanese music forum).

This post will serve as the "directory" with all of individual albums being featured in each reply post. The discussion for this will go in THIS THREAD.

And without further ado, the list!

Day 1: coldrain - VENA

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-10-23
Label: Hopeless Records
Genre: Alternative Metal/Metalcore

Impressions from @doombox:

As a long time fan of coldrain I'm excited to see them make the list this year. 2015 saw the band tenaciously fight their way onto the global music front to release VENA all over the world and follow it up with back-to-back European and American tours. coldrain have always pitched a signature blend of alternative rock with catchy pop hooks, though recent work with foreign producers has woven post-hardcore threads into the mix. The result makes VENA one of their most powerful and diverse albums to date!

VENA houses 11 equally solid tracks that span the range from the ferocious, mosh-happy title track to the more sentimental, nostalgic ballad "Heart of the Young". There's a bit of something for everyone on this album, and it's also one of the most approachable albums for new foreign fans looking to peer into the Japanese alternative rock scene that you'll find this year. However, diehard coldrain fans need not fear that the band has lost touch with their roots, songs such as "Gone" and "Whole" pick right back up where coldrain's breakout release Final Destination left off. Though, my favorite track from VENA has to be "Divine" where coldrain continue push themselves to the next level of  near cinematic levels of epicness. 

Highlights: Divine, Words of the Youth, Whole

Impressions from @fictioninhope:

I haven’t been the biggest coldrain fan over the years due to many of their releases getting a listen or two before being shoved to the back of the list and forgotten. Nothing kept my attention from these guys quite like Die Tomorrow/To Be Alive. Then VENA came out of nowhere erupting like a massive volcano with no warning. This beast of an album continues to get better every time I listen to it. Each song flows seamlessly into the next to create a powerful and cohesive sound that I wasn’t expecting but thoroughly enjoyed without skipping halfway through a song to the next. The transitions between heavy hitters like “Wrong” and “Divine” to softer ballad-type tracks “The Story” and “Whole” are smooth and each song is in just the right spot in the track list. If you’ve yet to dip into Japanese music outside of visual kei, you should definitely make this album your starting point.

Highlights: Gone, The Story, Heart of the Young

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes

Day 2: 

Chara - Secret Garden

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-03-04
Label: Ki/oon Records
Genre: Pop

Impressions from @beni:

It's been a rather lengthy wait for once with Chara’s newest album. Three years to be exact for her sixteenth one, but finally I’ve had my much needed fill of Chara goodness with Secret Garden. I’m more than delighted that her album got into the MH countdown because for me there’s no doubt it’s my album of this year. Each song apart from the single title tracks are produced by a certain someone I’m sure most will be able to recognise by name, and the album really shines because of how distinctive each song is. With a music career spanning from 1991 until now, she's been a firm favourite of mine (and certainly many others who enjoy Jpop) and a stand out within the scene because of her unique raspy and pitchy voice. While an acquired taste, her talent knows no bounds, as she’s the creator of both her music and lyrics. With Secret Garden, she's tapped many guest producers, from THE NOVEMBERS and Curly Giraffe to agraph and mabanua. If you’ve got a keen ear for any of the listed producers, noticing which tracks has whose touches on them becomes an easier task. Track seven, "恋は危険さ", sounds like a revamp of one of THE NOVEMBERS’ own tunes for example. While these are more than welcome, it’s her latest single tracks that are must listens. There's the bittersweet ballad "hug", acoustic “せつなくてごめんね”, dance tune "恋文", funky number “ラッキーガール” and the touching track “せつなくてごめんね”, to name most of them. The album's opener and closer are notable too, starting and ending the album on a heavenly note. Chara wasn’t lying when she says that when in love, she can pull off beautiful music. Luckily this is continuous through all of Secret Garden, which doesn’t deserve to be kept a secret any longer (even in this context of a woman’s uterus). Enjoy looking at the album cover now!

Highlights: Secret Garden, hug, はちみつ, 恋は危険さ, ラッキーガール,  爱が素敌なものに惹かれていくだけだよ, せつなくてごめんね, 恋文 and Rainbow.

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes

Day 3: 水曜日のカンパネラ (Suiyoubi no Campanella) - ジパング (Zipang)

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-11-11
Label: Tsubasa Records
Genre: Pop, Hip Hop, Electronic

Impressions from @CAT5:

If you're a discerning Jpop fan like me (a.k.a old, jaded, and cranky), and you shy away from the ORICON chart toppers, making extra sure to steer clear of the idol/anti-idol wastelands (sorry @beni, don't kill me), then 2015 may not have been your favorite year. Dependable old favorites were either no-shows or saw underwhelming releases, and even promising young acts like charisma.com, daoko, and Kominami Yasuha made the glorious leap into premature mediocrity. On the other hand, one up-and-coming group seems to be usurping the spotlight, captivating Jpop fans left and right - even old codgers like me! Of course we're talking about Suiyoubi no Campanella (“Wednesday’s Campanella” in English or 'wedcamp' for short). This trio consists of singer/performer KOM_I (“Komu-ai”), producer Kenmochi Hidefumi and video director Dir.F. While I've been a fan of Hidefumi's solo work, I never felt compelled to give Suiyoubi a shot. Let's just say that the hype surrounding the group was the kyrptonite to my innate hipster-ness. Well that, and let's also not forget that I'm a disenchanted, gray-haired fart, figuratively speaking.

Happening upon Suiyoubi's PV for "西玉夫 (nishi tamao)" was like discovering my Jpop fountain of youth, though. Futhermore, listening to the actual album was like taking a completely blissful dive in. Immersing myself in the inventive mix of crisp trap and club beats, worldly overtones, and whimsical melodies on ジパング, I could feel the arthritic joints of my musical bones beginning to loosen. The intentionally contrasting vocal style of KOM_I, that's silly, yet sincere and morphs back and forth from singing to fluid spoken-word, made me feel as If I could hear anew! ジパング is a short album, running just a bit over thirty minutes, but it managed to completely revitalize my faith in Jpop, especially after an entire year of listening to duds aged me half a century. It's certainly not a perfect release through and through, though. At least five of the track were released as PV singles before the album dropped, and those are noticeably stronger songs than the album material. But that's a gripe that will mostly affect fans that have been following Suiyoubi the closest, As it stands, the album as a whole makes for an impressive package and a thrilling listen. It's one the highlights of my year for sure.

Highlights: メデューサ, ツイッギー, ラー, ライト兄弟, 西玉夫

Suiyoubi is a totally new act and music style for me. Usually when I dabble in pop music it’s more on the trashy side but Zipang may have created a monster. It’s quirky and interesting and probably the catchiest thing I’ve heard since the Macarena in the 90s. Each song has smooth beats and a clarity to the production that I am not used to hearing and it fills that need for danceable music that I crave. The vocals aren’t the best but they fit perfectly with the music backing them, even when it sometimes sounds like the girl’s got food stuffed in her cheeks or has a cold. When I feel like I need a break from the screaming and growling of my usual musical choices I go to this fun album and am never disappointed.

Highlights: ラー, 小野妹子

Impressions from @beni:

Taking Charisma.com's place from last year in this countdown is Suiyoubi no Campanella. I say this because of the very obvious similarities between both groups, which is what caught my attention at first. The hip hop, electronic and disco influences, as well as the rather monotone dialogue delivery, rapping and gibberish lyrics with actual meaning behind it (in the case of campanella, heavy pop cultural and historical references) have only a few clear links when scratching the surface. What I find brilliant about Suiyoubi is the lyrical repetition I just mentioned, but there's a lot of different sounds to ジパング  - as expected with such a wildlife/landscape themed cover to the album that really induces the imagery as you listen through the release. Track three ("メデューサ") has the most mainstream tempo to it, with typical 'bleep-bloop' verses and an easy going beat that sounds like it could've been used by an American rapper. Fast forward to the last track ("マッチ売りの少女") with a more tribal and funky sound to it, prominent drums, a saxophone, and a choir and it's something totally different.

As for my favourite songs below, I'm sure you know what to expect. Plenty of sharp and punchy repetition that'll totally get in your head for the better! While I prefer their earlier releases and would recommend those even more, this shouldn't be a missed listen either.

Highlights: シャクシャイン, ツイッギー, ウランちゃん , マッチ売りの少女

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | YesAsia

Day 4: PELICAN FANCLUB - PELICAN FANCLUB

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-08-05
Label: Daizawa Records
Genre: Indie rock, indie pop, shoegaze

Impressions from @fitear1590:

PELICAN FANCLUB is hands-down my favorite band discovery of 2015 (thank you, UK.Project!). With two mini-albums under their belt this year, they've shown that they know a thing or two about fusing indie rock with jangly guitar bliss. This is particularly showcased on ANALOG, their Tower Records limited-release from early in their year. Their second mini, self-titled, introduces a bit more diversity. The release opens with the dense shoegaze showstopper "Chilico". Prepare to be smacked in the face with an ethereal wall of guitar noise. The next track "プラモデル (pura model)" jarringly combines the two-sides of THE NOVEMBERS, weaving in and out of loud, grungey choruses and euphoric verses with vibrant guitar lines and robust drumming. Later in the mini, the emotional alternative anthem "ファ (fa)" is sure to impress; fans of slow, eruptive indie rock à la Itsue's "ラブレターフロム (love letter from)" or even caroline rocks' "Tokyo ice age" will likely be onboard. The middle of the mini-album (much like ANALOG) leans more towards a western indie sensibility, citing British indie pop guitar and the tremolo stylings of Vampire Weekend (doombox originally made this comparison and I can definitely hear it now!). As if I didn't love the band enough musically, vocalist Endo Anri is so refreshing with his clear voice. I could strongly recommend every song from the PELICAN FANCLUB mini, except maybe the closer, only because the first six tracks set the bar so high. All I can say is don't just try one song from the band. I thought I had their sound pegged--as great as it was--after listening to "Dali," but the full release took me by wonderful surprise. There is so much to enjoy from these fresh faces in the scene and I hope they have a productive 2016 as well. Sign me the hell up for the PELICAN FANCLUB fanclub!

Highlights: Chilico, Dali, ファ

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes (JP)

Day 5: Kidori Kidori - ![雨だれ] (amadare)

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-06-03
Label: Polka Dot records/HIP LAND MUSIC
Genre: Garage rock, indie

Kidori Kidori was another surprise indie hit for me this year. They do the "bored pop" style--not unlike ミツメ (mitsume)--with a certain panache. Songs like "!" are just so understated, yet fully engrossing, trading in their cheery indie pop (more in line with doombox's first two highlighted tracks) for something more laid-back. The vocals are at their most natural here and the "choo choo" parts are catchy as hell. Meanwhile, the music plucks along at a leisurely pace. Throughout the album, there is also a Hispanophile quality with song titles like "コラソン (corazon)","テキーラと熱帯夜 (tequila to nettaiya)" and "Tristeza"; I see this is actually a trend in the band's discography. Whatever the case may be, Kidori Kidori seem intent on turning your frown upside down, even if it is in a deadpan manner!

Highlights: なんだかもう (nandaka mou), !

Kidori Kidori have a special place in my heart as they are one of the few indie rock bands I can't seem to get enough of. There's just something about their jangly guitar riffs, incisive drum style, and vocalist Mash's monotone delivery that gives them a flavor all their own. Tracks like "あなぼこ(anaboko)" have a grungy, punk flair when Kidori Kidori kick it into overdrive, but the band waltzes just as easily into dreamy, psychedelic territory with "なんだかもう(nandaka mou)" on ! [雨だれ] (amadare). Yet, somehow Kidori Kidori manage to seamlessly fold these genres, and more, into their sound. This album was written with strong summertime vibes in mind which made it a perfect road trip soundtrack, and even as winter is fast approaching us now each track can magically whisk you right back to warmer months. ! [雨だれ] was definitely a breath of fresh air in 2015, or better yet, a sweet summer breeze!

Highlights: ホームパーティー (home party), あなぼこ(anaboko), !

Sample song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqfBnE1cxDU

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes

Day 6: IX-NINE- - VIDYA

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-03-12
Label: Independent
Genre: Rock

IX-NINE- is a 2015 newcomer - though it’s members are not new to the scene - and they have maintained a strong musical presence throughout the year, especially when it comes to reaching out to a worldwide audience. Their debut mini-album VIDYA mixes instruments and electronics with a touch of tradition in the form of a koto, backing up vocalist IX’s crooning flawlessly. Upon seeing 5 out of 7 tracks clocked in at over 4 minutes I worried it would drag on, but thankfully that wasn’t the case. Opening track “Remembrance” kicks off the painting of a beautiful, dream-like state that continues to blossom with “壮美なゆらめき” and “Sky Burial.” “Dirge” is the perfect end to the image, stopping in the exact place it needs to yet still leaving you ready and waiting for the next adventure. While all the comparisons to mega-band sukekiyo aren’t unwarranted, IX has created what is in my opinion a calmer sound that I tend to prefer over Kyo’s almost excessive vocal experimentation.

Highlights: 壮美なゆらめき, Sky Burial, Dirge

Sample song:

Day 7: グリーヴァ (Grieva) - 妄想主義者ノ背徳。(Mousou shugisha no haitoku.)

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-07-01
Label: MadWinK /Ains
Genre: Alternative metal, metalcore, visual kei

Impressions from @Peace Heavy mk II:

Grieva has had a very strong 2015. While their releases have been small (4 singles, an omnibus appearance, and this installation here), they have done nothing but improve with each CD they drop. Since the addition of their new drummer, their compositional style seems to have honed in on what they know they’re good at without relying too heavily on their controversial “I-wish-I-Were-Dir-en-Grey” gimmicks. 妄想主義者ノ背徳。is an example of doing exactly that, and is one of their best albums to date.

This mini album provides what all great minis should: decent length, replay value, and none of the tracks feel like filler. In the past, one of the critiques this band has received included having too many songs that seemed superfluous since they were more or less the same kind of song, just 2 tracks away from each other on the same album. Here, variety is no concern: from the melancholic “Art Play,” to the aggressive “腐『furan』乱,” this album covers a lot of territory. Its standout track, for me, is”自己精神殺害推進會.” Mixing The Kiryu-esque guitar work with crazy gang-vocals, this song came out of no where and is one of my all-time favorites.

Highlights: 自己精神殺害推進會, 密室104号室~暗イ部屋二僕ト君~

Sample song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3TkSRrXQs

Buy the album:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DAKAMWK-20'>CDJapan

Day 8: for example you sell the sea - たとえば海を売るなら (Tatoeba umi wo urunara)

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-02-22
Label: Hamabe Records
Genre: Indie, post rock, screamo

I'll be the first to admit that post-rock is not one of my favorite genres--I tend to get bored by it. Once in a blue moon, however, an album comes along and takes me by storm. Tatoeba umi o urunara (by the way, the Japanese translation of the strange phrase "for example you sell the sea") is one such album. Everything about this band is a bit of a mystery, from their name to the fact that they only have 84 listeners on last.fm. The band's musical approach, however, is sure to take you on one hell of a ride. Capitalizing on expansive compositions and a roller coaster of emotions, for example you take the sea will capture your attention. While admittedly, the five songs do begin to meld together, I don't consider that a bad thing with this band, because they have created such an immersive listen. One of the better bands that you might have overlooked this year!

Highlights: 青 (ao), obedient youth kindof tableau

This album may have been the biggest surprise of the year for me, as I checked it out on a whim trying to diversify my playlists. The silly band name and unassuming album cover really don't prepare you for the emotional onslaught this band is capable of. Songs on たとえば海を売るなら(tatoeba umi o urunara) are fully embellished stories that take their time and every avenue available to create each track's unique vision that runs them well past the 5 minute mark. for example you sell the sea aren't afraid to take the listener from a dream to a nightmare and back again with their atmospheric and emotional take on post-rock, sprinkles of screamo and indie rock also help add multiple layers of texture to the all-too-short five track gem. If you like your artists to think outside of the box and care more about where a song takes you than how much of it you can sing along to, this album is something you absolutely need to try out.

Highlights: 青(ao), 負債(fusai), obedient youth kindof tableau

Sample song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iwQXeZ0Imw

Buy the album:
OTOTOY | iTunes (JP)

Day 9: FACT - KTHEAT

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-03-04
Label: maximum10
Genre: post-hardcore, metalcore, hardcore

It's hard to tell if the songs on KTHEAT were written knowing they would be for FACT's final album or not. But the decision to completely self-produce it gives the songs an edge their previous albums haven't had in quite some time. These tracks continue to build from the change in direction they started with WITNESS last year, and focus on a tangible energy only a live show can create. KTHEAT manages to come extremely close too, with a balanced production that feels compact but not muddy from instruments fighting among each other for the spotlight. Everything comes together in wonderful, chaotic harmony.

KTHEAT -an abbreviation for the first initial of each member's name: Kazuki, Takahiro, Hiro, Eiji, Adam, and Tomohiro- stands out in FACT's discography from the fist-pumping first note of "The Way Down" (which ORz recommended as a Best New Track for March) and powers its way through the total of eleven tracks, hardly slowing enough for you to catch your breath until the pop-punk reminiscent 'easycore' bounce of "Over" hits and winds down into the surprise post-rock and noise influenced slow build of "Haze". KTHEAT works hard to take much of FACT's typical melodic hardcore songwriting down new avenues and still pull from their earlier albums. Songs like "Wait" and "Feel" would be just as at home on The Fine Day Never Last or Never Turn Out The Light... It's obvious KTHEAT wasn't made to broaden their appeal to new markets, even though the push of genre-blending would be to its advantage. Instead, it's an ode to the band exploring their own interests and sharing them with us one last time solely for the pure enjoyment of it. 

Highlights: The Way Down, Worm, <3 Attack, Over

Sample song:

Buy the album:
iTunes | CDJapan

Day 10: Envy - Atheist's Cornea

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-07-10
Label: Temporary Residence Limited, Sonzai Records
Genre: post-rock, metalcore, hardcore

Impressions from @Ito:

After many years of silence, Envy decided to remind us that they still alive and well in the best way possible. While I have always enjoyed their music. Atheist's Cornea managed to feel like a wonderful blend of all their previous work and manages to make all of the tracks stand out on their own. Ranging from light post-rock fairs with spoken words to blasting hardcore with raspy screams, that one thing that sticks out to me is how genuine it all feels. One might think that after over 20 years, a band might not have that same passion, but Envy bucks that thought with the genuine feelings and pure excitement that every track seems to exude. I found myself looping this album for hours on end. Now let's just hope that it doesn't take Envy another 5 years to give us another album.

Highlights: Blue Moonlight, Ticking Time and String, Two Isolated Souls

Impressions from @Zeus:

It's become a rule that when bands active in a scene for over a decade exert enormous influence over it. When musicians are seen as pioneers of a new sound, they are continuously tasked with continuing without burning out or losing the qualities which made them shine. It's a perplexing problem that Japanese hardcore titans Envy have dealt with twice, and they seem to have an answer with Atheist's Cornea. It's been a solid five years since their last proper album - 2010's Recitation feels like ages ago with rare appearances now and again on compilations - but the band is as Envy-sounding as ever. Contrasting dynamics backed by technical excellence play a huge part in pushing Atheist's Cornea forward and the mixture of hardcore, screamo, and post-rock that Envy is known for still feels fresh. This is what allows the album to start with heavily overdriven guitar and abrasive vocals courtesy of Tetsuya Fukagawa only to slide back into more contemplative territory with "Shining Finger". Fukagawa also has many opportunities to showcase his clean and harsh vocals, displaying a range and control betrayed by his rather one-dimensional harsh vocals. Songs like "Footsteps in the Distance" and "An Insignificant Poem" successfully bring these two sides of Envy together and show us best what they are all about. As an entire package, Atheist's Cornea is another great album from a band that's never disappointed.

Highlights: Blue Moonlight, Shining Finger, Two Isolated Souls

Sample song:

Buy the album:
iTunes | Bandcamp

Day 11: DEZERT - 「暫定的オカルト週刊誌①」(Zanteiteki occult shuukanshi (1))

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-04-25
Label: Mad Face Records
Genre: Metalcore, visual kei

While not completely new material, dark-rock-meets-nu-metal band DEZERT gifted us a collection of most of their live-distributed materials: how nice of them! This album contains some of their earliest works, such as “Sister,” and “「秘密」(Himitsu)”. Like their hard-hitting album of 2014, this album contains many powerful and downright eerie numbers, as well as some vague themes around food. While I had heard a good deal of material on here before it was released, more than half of the content was new to me since their original forms are hard to come by. Some highlights for me include the series of correct knife technique songs (anything starting with “包丁の正しい使い方”), and “「秘密」(Himitsu),” which draws more than a little inspiration from The GazettE's “Headache Man,” and the new song, “ゴシック (GOTHIC).”

It’s not often that bands rerelease many of their rare-er content, but who wouldn’t expect a band named DEZERT to not be super sweet?

Highlights: ゴシック, 包丁の正しい使い方-思想編-

Sample song:

Buy the album:
As this was live-limited release at DEZERT's one man TSUTAYA O-WEST on 2015-04-25 and was limited to 1000 copies, there is no way to purchase this particular release.

Day 12: COHOL - 裏現 (Rigen)

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-05-29
Label: Osmose Records
Genre: Depressive Black Metal

Impressions from @Zeus:

If one desires a panoramic view of what black metal has to offer today, look no further than COHOL. 裏現 is 39 minutes of the rawest - and surprisingly well produced - black metal Japan's produced all year. It's difficult to appreciate the beauty at first; tremolo picking, blast beats, and screeching vocals are not my first idea of "beautiful". In addition, the five years since their widely acclaimed 2010 album 空洞 has seen the band shave away their influences, automatically making 裏現 a less approachable album from the start. But within the depressive madness there are fleeting moments of tranquility, sadness, lament, and all sorts of negative emotions which paint a panorama of modern suffering wrapped in a most overwhelming, crushing atmosphere. When remarking on how many things are done right, one realizes how much of a rarity it is to get such a no-frills, straightforward black metal release. This album's so good, I think we may be referencing it as a staple of the genre sooner than we think.

Highlights: 下部構造 – Infrastructure-, 暗君 – Chaos Ruler –, 地に堕ちる – Depressive –, 病の元型 – Arche Pathogen –

Impressions from @Ito:

This album is difficult - on one hand, I think it is truly badass. Musically I think this is some of the best black metal I have listened to all year. It's expressive and intense, yet it knowns when to slow down and and pull back to create a wonderful mood (Depressive being probably the best example of this). Sadly there is one huge miss that diffuses this explosive album for me - sonically it is a bit of a mess. I know this is contrary to Zeus saying that he enjoyed the production - and maybe it is a difference of listening mediums (Myself on AKG K7XXs and Zeus on Sennheiser HD 600 - both great open back headphones, but with different characteristics), but the low mids/high bass space just ends up feeling way too crowded and the heavy sections just feel muddy. The drummer often plays fast paced double bass and snare sections that just end up like someone is running an outboard motor over the recording. I know for some people, music is king, and if that is the case for you, this album is gold. If you are like me though, so much of the joy is sucked out of this album that I really just don't end up appreciating it that way I normally would.

Highlights: Depressive, Arche Pathogen

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | Bandcamp

Day 13: The fin. - Days With Uncertainty

ImageImage

Release Date: 2014-12-03
Label: HIP LAND MUSIC
Genre: dream pop, shoegaze, rock

One of the earliest surprises of this review year managed to be one of my absolute favorites! Clearly with an affinity for more Western indie tastes, The fin. is a bit of an anomaly in the J-indie world, where angular indie and math-rock stylings are king. But they embrace it! With their gentle and dreamy, synth-kissed style of indie pop completely matching their aesthetic (see the gorgeous cotton candy-filtered PV below), they truly are the whole package. "Night Time" is so unbelievably catchy that it has the potential to be the new indie hit, like Grizzly Bear's "

". And guess what, The fin. performs completely in English, so whatever xenophobic obstacles keeping 99% of Japanese bands from gaining more overseas acclaim is no longer an excuse!

Highlights: Night Time, You Can See It In the Blue, Silver From Over the River, The End of the Island

Impressions from @beni:

I was quick to fall head over heels for this alternative rock band. This instant attraction can only be blamed on the fact that The fin. are eerily similar to a few of the best bands the UK has to offer when it comes to indie rock like The 1975. While I certainly hadn't forgotten about this masterpiece of an album, it was our dear @fitear1590 that remembered to put this up for the 2015 running, so first goes the props to him. When it comes to the band getting thanks and appreciation, it must be said that if my ears aren't deceiving me, their lyrics are entirely English, making them even more appropriate for muchly deserving wide spread fame. While there isn't too much to distingush each track to the other, the fluidity of the whole album is perfect. The album's length and amount of tracks is spot on for the kind of sound they're doing, as it doesn't go too quick or too slowly. If you're looking for something whimsical and captivating to take you away to another place, then stop right here because this is certainly worth any amount of your days.

Highlights: Night Time, Illumination, You Can See It In The Blue and Till Dawn

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes

Day 14: SEKAI NO OWARI - TREE

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-01-14
Label: Toy's Factory
Genre: Pop, Rock

Impressions from @beni:

SEKAI NO OWARI has always been more of a miss than a hit with me. Autotune is a feature I embrace on more occasion than none, but when it comes to SEKAI NO OWARI, an ingredient is usually amiss. It's quite humorously painful because I simply adore so many of their songs, but when it comes to the full package, it's not always perfect. For a group that even has a song with OWL CITY who I am especially fond of to not make the cut for me hurts deeply. But when it comes to TREE, they managed to plant a good seed in my books. Take TREE as a ride that never lets up. What's probably the most enjoyable factor of their music are the little bits of added touches in each song. For instance, track seven ("ピエロ") features so many different additions in it, from the chunky piano keys to the more haunting synthesizer playing the same melody over and over, and even elephant trumping! There's so much happening in one song, it's enchanting. Another example is tracks five ("アースチャイルド") and eight ("銀河街の悪夢"), using dialogue and background noises to start off the tune like how a movie sets a scene, as you embark on your journey with the album, alongside the creepy yet exciting fanfare/circus song "アースチャイルド", and the acoustic, nostalgic sounding one that's fitting for a summer day: "銀河街の悪夢". As the album goes on, it only gets more thrilling, with the always delightful single songs "RPG" and "Dragon Night" closing it. But just before that, you've got the ear candy that is "Death Disco" and "broken bone". The latter has a real modern sound to it while "Death Disco" has nice bits of Susumu Hirasawa like touches mixed with Disney's Fantasia. I'm sure you've got the hint; this album is wild yet done in an orderly fashion that just works even if it sounds totally bonkers when describing it. SEKAI NO OWARI definitely managed to pull the 'ENTERTAIMENT' value out on all stops this time!

Highlights: 炎と森のカーニバル, ムーンライトステーション, マーメイドラプソディー, ピエロ, Death Disco and broken bone

SEKAI NO OWARI are filling the void for extravagant pop tunes for me this year, since some of my other resident favorites -lookin' at you, asobius- seem to have fallen in a bit of a one-trick-pony pitfall. And it's not just me SEKAI NO OWARI is winning over, either. Tree has sold over a million copies and counting, which in turn allowed the band to hold a 2 day festival, their second multi-day festival built around them at that, that sold out Nissan Stadium. If they keep growing at this rate, they'll be playing a show near you very soon. This release is a great mix of eclectic and dramatic tracks that span a wide variety of atmospheres and feelings, from the sway-worthy innocence of "スノーマジックファンタジー(snow magic fantasy)", to the fiery flamenco dance rhythms in "Death Disco". Though, the clap-along, marching drum driven melody of "RPG" remains to be one of their biggest crowd-pleasers if the YouTube views are any indication, probably due in-part to it being such a solid representation of the band's grandiose sound. 

Highlights: 炎と森のカーニバル(honoo to mori no carnival), Death Disco, broken bone

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes (JP)

Day 15: BRADIO - Power of Life

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-06-03
Label: HERO MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT
Genre: Rock, Disco, Funk, Soul

If you came to party, BRADIO are here for you. POWER OF LIFE brought back some much needed fun into 2015 with this band's disco-funk hybrid sound. It's nearly impossible to play this album and stay still. The album rose like a rocket thanks to the help of it housing the theme for anime Death Parade, "Flyers", but it's the consistency all the way through the album that allowed this band to stay on top for the rest of this year. Features from other dance-rock heavyweights like Tanigawa of UNCHAIN on "Ride on Time" also helped to bring BRADIO to new audiences who may not have had the relatively obscure indie band on their radar up to this point. For me, it was the quirky groove of "オトナHIT PARADE (OTONA HIT PARADE)" that got its hooks in me and wouldn't leave my playlists. You won't hear this kind of throwback spirit on any other record this year so enjoy the crazy trip back in time and get your boogie on!

Highlights: Flyers, オトナHIT PARADE (OTONA HIT PARADE), シークレットコード (Secret Code), スパイシーマドンナ (Spicy Madonna)

Impressions from @beni:

It's thanks to our darling @doombox and the anime series Death Parade that I love this band as much as I do now. There's something extremely endearing about Takaaki, the vocalist, possibly thanks to those cute crooked teeth of his that first caught my attention after watching the PV for "Flyers". Insanely catchy and totally addicting with one listen, it's the rather contrasting opening theme for Death Parade. I got to both the series and @doombox's splendid review before giving this album a full listen, and what a blast it is. Takaaki's versatility with his voice that goes from quirky to rough and rich and even dangerously high pitched keeps you on your toes with each and every track. This one track is just too catchy for words! True highlights are the funky "Red Car Chase", the adorable "Sunday" with a dash of rap thanks to HOME MADE KAZOKU's member MICRO, and the gorgeously slow burner of the album, "You Make Me Feel Brand New". Other songs that also stand out like "Chocolate Flavor" and "Spicy Madonna" get the job done thanks to some sweet tempos and beats in its choruses. The whole disco sound the guys deliver totally works in their favor, and it's just an utter joy to experience their music and (internally if you're like me) funk out to.

Highlights: Flyers, Red Car Chase, Sunday feat.MICRO (from HOME MADE KAZOKU) and You Make Me Feel Brand New

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes

Day 16: BLU-SWING - FLASH

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-08-19
Label: Village Again Association / SILHOUETTE RECORDS
Genre: Club, Jazz

I’ve always loved jazzy influences in my rock or pop music but never really been a big fan of jazz on its own. And female vocals in my Japanese music? I’m usually turned off insanely fast with many female vocalists due to the obnoxious high pitched nasally sound many go for. I picked up the BLU-SWING album on a whim, wanting to try something new and it was so worth it. The songs are this wonderful combination of catchy, relaxing, and fun that has you bobbing your head in time to the beat. Tanaka’s voice is gorgeous, soothing like gentle ocean waves caressing the beach. The only track I didn't care much for was "STATELESSNESS" due to it sounding like elevator or corporate hold music. Despite that one little hiccup this album is bloody fantastic and surprisingly enough, one of my top albums of the year; Not an easy task when going against the likes of coldrain and Florence + the Machine. 

Highlights: FLIGHT, FLASH, PLANET

Impressions from @Zeus:

Japanese Latin-influenced jazz hop is unusual to say the least, but BLU-SWING knocks it out of the park with FLASH. I've been on the prowl for a band to replace the hole Tokyo Jihen left behind for quite some time and BLU-SWING comes the closest. They may not fill that jazz pop niche exactly, but their sound is compelling enough in its own right. The way the band mixes in pop, swing, and lounge are impressive and make for an album that will keep you on your toes. The thick double bass and the trumpets will battle for your attention, but it is ultimately Yu-ri Tanaka who captivates me most. Her sultry vocals have a presence which cannot be denied and this is one of the rare cases where her English is on par with her Japanese! On the rare occasions where she is not present, the band is more than capable of weaving enchanting jazz melodies sure to create relax and chill vibes. Jazz fans will find plenty to sink their teeth into with FLASH, but I'm of the opinion that this is a sleeper album that's not to be missed by anyone!

Highlights: FLASH, YOU WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND, 通り道

Impressions from @Ito:

I dare you to listen to this and NOT groove along. BLU-SWING managed to deliver one of the most fun albums I have heard this year. I found myself bobbing my head at work subconsciously every time I played this album and just really found myself in a better mood. The vibe alone is enough to have me enjoy this, but add in the detailed layers of instrumentals and tight production and we have a true winner. The only thing that slows down this album for me is a few tracks that just come off as a bit too cheesy and unlike some of the other blurbs, I don't enjoy Yu-ri's English as much as her Japanese. These things are more like nitpicks than anything else, and when the album hits its stride, it is truly beautiful.

Highlights: FLIGHT, FLASH

Impressions from @beni:

Sweet and funky is like a combination made in paradise. BLU-SWING's vocalist, Yu-ri, has a soulful and richly tasteful edge to her tone, even if she's singing Engrish (which so happens to be my favourite tracks). Stand outs like "FLIGHT" and "FLASH" has that expected jazzy dance tempo to them which, while certainly not surprising, are still done in such a flawless way that they're instant hits. It's hard to think of anyone not being able to jam to them. For an album that has a couple of instrumentals in it that I'm not usually a fan of, even those I can enjoy when it comes to FLASH. Particularly "PLANET" which is very much 'out of this world' like. What really came as a surprise to me is my love for their slower songs, the ones sung in Engrish. While they're ballads so it was a sure win with me, jazzy slow songs are more of a miss than a hit for me so this came as a real treat. The Engrish set of three in the album also includes "LARK", which is the song to check out just for the fact that it's the really jazzy Engrish one. While the chirpier tunes are an expecting bundle of fun, their ballad songs are just as captivating in their own right, making this an album truly perfect from top to bottom with highlights everywhere. The similarities to other bands that have that jazz influence like Tokyo Jihen may be a clear comparison, but BLU-SWING stands on their own and leaves quite the impression on plenty of us.

Highlights: FLIGHT, FLASH, YOU'LL FIND YOU'RE LOVED, PLANET, 木と空, 通り道 and LARK

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes

Day 17: THE NOVEMBERS - Elegance

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-10-07
Label: MERZ
Genre: Shoegaze, Indie, Rock

Impressions from @CAT5:

It's been an absolute pleasure to follow the career of THE NOVEMBERS, watching them blossom from their meager beginnings in the mid 00's into one of the most highly touted indie bands of this decade. And with good reason - they've hit a stride in quality these past few years that few could hope to match, consistently evolving and experimenting, yet maintaining their core characteristics. They've cultivated a sound that gracefully weaves in and out of various shades of dark and light. While their previous 2 full lengths 'Rhapsody in beauty' and 'Zeitgeist' offered the full spectrum, Elegance hones in on the band's brighter side. It's often compared to its similarly sunny predecessor "GIFT", but whereas that was more expansive and rough around the edges, ELEGANCE is more reigned in, polished, and catchy. It's probably THE NOVEMERS' most intensely focused and cohesive record yet, with each track maintaining the whimsical and dreamy atmosphere. Even the closing track, which solely defies the tone of the entire EP, doesn't feel out of place. In fact, it feels more like a "TO BE CONTINUED", a prelude to the next area in THE NOVEMBERS' eclectic spectrum of sounds. Elegance may not be the most compelling release from THE NOVEMBERS as a whole, but it's an impressive mark of refinement that stands tall amongst it's peers.

Highlights: きれいな海へ, 裸のミンク, エメラルド

After Fourth wall and zeitgeist, which mostly delved into THE NOVEMBERS "heavier" half, fans seemed due a full release dedicated to the band's "softer" side; the Elegance EP is the band's answer to this call. Almost all the necessary NOVEMBERS ingredients are here: sublime vocals, sexy bass lines, and an ethereal atmosphere so potently gentle, it's like being violently fluttered with angel's wings. One aspect that just misses the mark on Elegance is the twangy guitars. I had hoped to hear more development of the band's glorious jangly guitar, as heard in last year's "Romancé" or in the 2012 NOVEMBERS ~lite~ masterpiece EP  GIFT, rather than the scraggly guitar here. Still, this is my picky preference and there's still plenty to enjoy. "きれいな海へ (kireina umi e)" is an intriguingly funky take on shoegaze and the delayed chords in "エメラルド (emerald)" seem to pay homage to Melody's Echo Chamber. All in all, a very solid release, but not the band's best effort.

Highlights: クララ, きれいな海へ, エメラルド

Impressions from @Ito:

The Novembers are no stranger to our best of list, but personally they have always come off as a hit or miss band. Where I throughly enjoyed 2013's zeitgeist, Rhapsody in Beauty ended up being a bit hard to swallow. Elegance seemingly falls in to the middle of that spectrum. It is one of those albums despite its failure to do anything special, still manages to come across as solid. A prerequisite to enjoying this album is that you need to be in the right mood to listen its specific style. You can expect fuzzy guitars and nice grooves that The Novembers usually delivers, but the energy level has been turned way down. Nearly all of the tracks give off this lethargic feeling that seemingly makes me a bit sleepy. And here in lies my problem with this album - just as if you made an album that's all constantly super heavy, it loses perspective and entire result is an album that feels not nearly as intense as it should, the same goes for the inverse. Most of the tracks on Elegance work well on their own, but as a package they mood never changes and the end result just comes out as bland. It takes till the final track of this 6 track mini to really mix it up, and by then it's too late. All of that said, I feel like I will enjoy these tracks a lot when they come up in shuffle...but I doubt I will spin this one all the way through again.

Highlights: 裸のミンク

Impressions from @Zeus:

THE NOVEMBERS' latest mini album continues the tradition of being a little too subtle for its own good. So subtle that I would forgive a new listener for gleaning the wrong impression from the spaced out, dreamy opener クララ. A restrained and more polished alternative to last year's "Rhapsody in Beauty", "Elegance" hits you like a blunt weapon; you'll feel the impact the first time but it needs some time to feel the full effect. It's not uncommon for the vocal melodies or the dreamy, hypnotic guitars to echo in your mind long hours after listening to their music. It's short length makes it feel like a teaser, but at the same time it feels like the perfect length for the mood it sets out to accomplish. THE NOVEMBERS may not be the easiest band in the world to get into, but what they provide is a complex style and musicianship that has so far been unmatched by their contemporaries in the scene.

Highlights: 出る傷を探す血, きれいな海へ

Sample song:

Buy the album:
Bandcamp | iTunes

Day 18: a crowd of rebellion - Daphne

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-09-09
Label: WARNER MUSIC JAPAN INC.
Genre: Post-hardcore, electronic, screamo

Daphne was one of my most anticipated releases this year. After their first major label release with The Crow I couldn't be happier to hear that a crowd of rebellion had no intention of turning into a pop band overnight. That is not to say that Daphne doesn't bring a more mature and well-rounded sound than their previous releases, because it certainly does. acor's chaotic punk and metal tendencies are reigned in and refined to push more melody to the forefront of their sound, but they still know when to throw in a killer breakdown when necessary. This more thoughtful approach to composition seems to show their wish to continue reaching out to new listeners, but at the core of each song is still the marriage of opposing forces, angelic harmony and furious brutality, that retains the original appeal of the band many of us fell in love with.

Highlights: BLACK ANTHEM, Smells Like Unknown, Never Say A Gain

Impressions from @beni:

Let's first say how much of a crime this mini-album is for not being a full-length album. But I assure you, that's the only factor that could even be classified as something 'bad' when it comes to this release. I went into listening to the release blindly when two other fellow ORZ members (hi guys) have repeatedly spoken well of them and I gave in to trying them out on this, mainly because of that fantastic looking album cover. There's an awful lot to pack into only seven minutes, but what comes out is a truly polished and flattering piece of hardcore goodness. I'm not usually one to adore everything screamo, but I can dig it an awful lot if I find it melodic enough, and let me tell you, have a crowd of rebellion got it. "BLACK ANTHEM" should instead be called "SPEEDY ANTHEM" with how quick it plays through. It doesn't feel like a four minute track, instead leaving you wanting more. It really gets your blood pumping for what's to come. With high pitched notes and a very catchy melody for a chorus, "This is Liiiiiv[e]" is where things really take off. The release just keeps getting better from then on, with "Smells Like Unknown" being on the same tier, and then incomes "Iris no hana" and "Daphne" for the mini closer. They're both instant stand outs of my own for 2015 overall. The lyrical repetition, quiet verses against the rougher, melodic choruses makes for a hell of an impact. I could go on and on with how well done tracks three to seven are in particular, but hopefully this is encouraging enough to give these guys a listen if you haven't already. Don't regret putting them off any longer if you're like how I was!

Highlights: This is Liiiiiv[e], Smells Like Unknown, Iris no hana, Never Say A Gain and Daphne

doombox's contribution on her 2014 year-end list singlehandedly introduced me to this group. Post-hardcore isn't typically my jam, but then again, most such bands that I've encountered take a "by the numbers" approach. acor's dual vocals, one part super clean and high pitched, and one part harsh, add to the band's unpredictable quality, infusing their music with a hyper energy. Highly recommended to post-hardcore fans looking for something a little different; I can see neo VK fans also enjoying them!

Highlights: This is Liiiiiv[e], Smells Like Unknown

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes (JP)

Day 19: KAMIJO - Royal Blood ~ Revival Best ~

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-07-15
Label: WARNER MUSIC JAPAN INC.
Genre: power metal, symphonic metal

As I had written about earlier in the year, Kamijo released a collection album this year that is predominantly remakes of some of his most famous compositions from the various other bands he’s been in. In it, we revisit classics like “Fuyu Tokyo” and “Aristocrat’s Symphony” that have been completely reimagined in a more modern mindset. While there are a myriad of other Kamijo songs I wish he would remake, this album is generous on his part, as most “look how cool my career was” albums are just remasters. The most different rendition has to be his new versions of “Imperial Concerto” and “Bara wa Utsukishiku Chiru.”

In addition to remakes, there were three other new songs featured on this album as well. Hopefully as his world tour comes to a close (with a revival live of both Lareine and Versailles!!) we will get some good news about even more new material.

Highlights: Imperial Concerto, 薔薇は美しく散る (Bara ha Utsukushiku Chiru) , 冬東京 (Fuyu Tokyo), God Palace

Impressions from @ShanethVarosa:

Talk about innovation. Some of the tracks on this self-cover album were well over a decade old and he was able to reinvent them and make them relevant to a modern-day Kamijo fan. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what type of music lover you are, but whatever your opinion you must recognize the skill it would take to bring such old songs into the modern music market. Additionally, the new tracks "Royal Blood" and "Kono yo de Ichiban Utsukushii Bara yo" are complete magnum opuses of Kamijo's ability at creating hard-rock symphonies, but stunning romantic ballads as well.

Highlights: Royal Bloodこの世で一番美しい薔薇よ (Kono yo de Ichiban Utsukushii Bara yo)

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes

Day 20: sukekiyo - VITIUM

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-02-04
Label: Sun-krad Co.
Genre: avant-garde, metal, experimental, rock

The atmospheric rock heavy-hitters came back again this year with another amazing release. I was hooked from the first note of VITIUM'S opening track and hypnotized by this masterpiece through its entire musical journey. While I'm grateful it's a shorter album than last year's sukekiyo may have heeded the main complaint about their debut album, IMMORTALIS, being a little too much of them to take in a single serving for a lot of us. And to our benefit VITIUM feels like they have trimmed the fat and concentrated their songs to showcase sukekiyo in their most potent form. Each track has a strong individuality about it, yet works perfectly in the context of the album itself, featuring the wealth of versatility and technique all of the composers in the group possess. Songs like "Leather Field" and "Foster Mother" highlight Yuchi's vibrant basswork, "Dunes" and "Maniera" bring Takumi and Uta's intricate and fierce guitars to the forefront, "雨上がりの優詩(ameagari no yuushi)" is driven by Mika's bold drumming, and of course Kyo's vocal chops lend texture and sultriness over the whole lot. sukekiyo didn't skimp with the remixes this time around, either. While they are less of them, keeping up with the concentrated theme, they went big to have names like Toshi (X Japan) and Wes Borland (Limp Bizkit) 'rearrange' tracks from both albums, respectively.

Highlights: Leather Field, 雨上がりの優詩(ameagari no yuushi), Focus

Impressions from @Zeus:

Last year, I said that IMMORTALIS "left me somewhere in the middle". It was too long and I always believed it would have been better as an album and a mini. VITIUM is proof of that. Smaller releases mesh with sukekiyo's sound much better and while I expected it to be good, I didn't expect it to be this good. For starters, the atmosphere just pours out of every note on each song, backed by Kyo's colorful vocals, creating an overwhelming suffocating experience that almost makes you forget this is a mini-album. We all know by now that avant-garde rock with some progressive and folk elements wrapped around haunting, unsettling Oriental melodies is sukekiyo's bread and butter. The music is as dense as ever, requiring several listens to appreciate the more subtle elements and transitions, but there are still plenty of refreshing moments to engage any listener. The rolling bass that kicks off "leather fields" and the solo in "celeste" are two of my personal favorite moments, and they're of the more immediate, jaw-dropping kind. Go on, give it a try or five.

Highlights: leather field, 雨上がりの優詩, celeste

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan

Day 21: 和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band) - 八奏絵巻 (Yasou emaki)

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-09-02
Label: AVEX MUSIC CREATIVE INC.
Genre: folk, pop, rock, shigin, loose visual kei and vocaloid associations

Kagrra, and j-pop group Rin’ created an obsession with modern-meets-traditional for me that was sorely missed upon their respective disbandments. And despite being a core fixture of their culture, distinctly Japanese elements don't often cross swords with rock or metal music. I wasn’t even originally going to check 和楽器バンド out due to their tie with vocaloid but @Zeus had me on the hype train upon mention of traditional instruments. What a perfect band to fill that void in my heart! They did a remarkable job proving that they are more than just a vocaloid cover band with each original song on 八奏絵巻.

Highlights: 星月夜華火

Impressions from @Zeus:

You shouldn't be surprised to see this here. Nothing is stopping the juggernaut that is 和楽器バンド. I've been bananas about them ever since this time last year, when they were a fringe curiosity from the vocaloid scene that showed some promise. They barely managed to get onto the list last year, edging out Shiina Ringo for dead last. One year, three anime themes, and a handful of singles later and here we are, already talking about being signed to a major label deal and releasing their first original album. That's huge. 八奏絵巻 (Yasou Emaki) pulls no punches and misses no opportunities. The anime themes "戦-ikusa-", "反撃の刃", and "なでしこ桜" all make an appearance, as well as their infamous cover of "千本桜" and their newest PV single "暁ノ糸", which flexes their musician skills and record company's budget equally. The biggest surprise of all is how diverse they can be without breaking their theme. There's the slow, melancholy ballads, rock anthems fit for closing out King Crimson concerts, and everything in between. I think they're at their best when they're dark, mystical, and push the rock side of their sound to the max. They have a gem of a vocalist on their hands - she's a one in a generation voice that has the x-factor other great shigin singers lack. Listening to her sing gives me chills. There's something here for anyone remotely interested in what they offer, and this is an album I see myself revisiting for many years to come.

Highlights: 暁ノ糸, 白斑, Perfect Blue

Impressions from @beni:

For a band I saw nothing special in to turn my opinion around 360° with one album, it's made me more than happy in seeing their latest work on the list. While Wagakki Band really do look stunning and almost like a more friendly version of 陰陽座 (Onymouza), them getting to their maximum potential never really was achieved to me with their previous releases. With all the vocaloid covers, I thought I’d be sold instantly, but I felt something was missing; a certain spark to keep me engaged. Income 八奏絵巻: now with plenty of catchy tunes that really captivate me for the whole album's run! 八奏絵巻 is even more of a success to me now after many repeats and increasing addiction. 

Highlights: Perfect Blue, 郷愁の空 , 風鈴の唄うたい and 地球最後の告白を

Sample song:

Buy the album:
OHP (scroll down a bit) | iTunes

Day 22: the piqnic - ZyouK

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-10-23
Label: So I Buried Records
Genre: dark shoegaze, post-rock, indie

Impressions from @CAT5:

First things first, major shout out to Jigsaw9 for shedding light on this band. This album was released via CD-R and limited to 300 copies, so it's a hidden gem that could've very well remained hidden if not for his magnanimous spirit! "ZyouK" is undoubtedly one of the biggest surprises of 2015 for me. It's almost impossible to talk about the piqnic without mentioning THE NOVEMBERS, though - their vocalist sounds like Yusuke Kobayashi after popping a few downers. The resemblance is EERILY similar. Not only that, but the tone of their music, whether it's the hard-driving, dark shoegaze of "hebi" or the dreamy melancholia of "O", easily compliments the various musical shades of THE NOVEMBERS. And despite the speculation of their band named being derived from one of THE NOVEMBERS' albums, the piqnic are still very much a beast of their own. They paint expansive soundscapes with strokes of haunting ambience and roaring walls of feedback; in this regard, they're actually a bit closer to bands like Boris in sound. Comparisons aside, "ZyouK" is mammoth record that never overstays its welcome, and it's an extraordinary effort from a band that's seemingly appeared out of nowhere. This is comfortably one of my top picks of the year!

Highlights: hebi, m-s, O, hinata

Impressions from @Zeus:

Being a Japanese post-rock band is hard. When you're not drawing comparisons to the instrumental giants like Mono or sgt., you have to deal with competition from other, well-established bands. Stray too close to the textures and moods conjured by, say, downy, and you're automatically marked for more critical inspection. It takes a good band to trace in another band's footsteps. It takes an amazing band to take an established sound and run with it. That's why it's a shame that such a great album was limited to 300 copies, because the piqnic did just this with ZyouK. They've only been a band for two years, but they play a very dark, brooding, hypnotic shoegaze that pulls in influences from many scenes. "hinata" and "si" are noteworthy for their minimalistic ambiance which helps to break up the more intense offerings such as noise-laden "ZyouK" , the energetic "krs", or the surprisingly bright and hopeful "O". Fans of shoegaze or post-rock that don't mind messy production will adore this.

Highlights: m-s, ZyouK, krs

Impressions from @Ito:

For me, the piqnic is an example of coming so close, but some how missing the mark. The album is laden in throbbing bass and fuzzy guitars that build up a dark shoegaze/post rock atmosphere. The production might leave something to be desired, but often the soundscape is so lovely that it makes up for it. The huge wrench thrown in this success plan comes in the form of vocals. The singer's voice isn't bad, per say, but I don't think it is good either, but it is more how he uses it. Lots of monotone sounds, almost closer to talking than singing. It reminds me a lot of downy in that sense - as in the vocals ruin something I would probably love otherwise. I find it hard to explain when there are bands like Boris doing similar stuff, with arguably worse vocals, that I some how enjoy more. Nothing validates my feelings more than how much I enjoy parts of the tracks that I clear of singing.

tl;dr - if the vocalist shut up, I think this would have been one of my top albums of the year.

Highlights: krs

Sample song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rgYzwA6My4

Buy the album:
So I Buried Records

NOTE: This album was limited to 300 copies.

Day 23: Chanty - Chantyの世界へようこそ

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-04-29
Label: Fake Star Inc.
Genre: pop, rock, visual kei

Impressions from @CAT5:

Chanty is a pretty unassuming band. Visually, they stick to bright outfits, but their colors are usually muted - nothing overly flashy. Musically they take a similar approach, adhering to straightforward pop-rock sprinkled with a few "indie" stylings and never overstepping their bounds. Their seemingly unadventurous outlook is perhaps their greatest strength, though. Chantyの世界へようこそ may lack a certain bit of creativity, but it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, as the album offers an incredibly solid selection that's brimming with self assurance. On top of that, it's an album that could very well appeal to a variety of fans, from VK, indie-rock, Jpop/rock, to even the anison crowd.

Highlights: ダイアリー, monorium, パセリ

Impressions from @beni:

As one of the very few VK groups I like to stay on top of, Chanty's first album was something I was really excited for. There's something everyone can appreciate in this album, despite being rather short for a VK band (ten tracks, are you kidding me!?) which can be my only nitpick. From the funky "パセリ" that gives off some neat yazzmad goodness, as well as "ひどいかお2" which I swear is a cover from Oshare group SERIAL NUMBER, Chanty don't steer away from what you'd typically expect. So while this means there's no surprises, it's still done exceptionally well. With plenty of catchy choruses (just give "monorium" a quick listen) including the ballad "とある星空の下", both showcase just how well they can pull of these signature sounds as well as Akuta's ability to change his register and tone fittingly when necessary depending on the track. And on the topic of his voice, isn't it a charmer? Chanty are proving they can be consistent, with plenty of songs with a similar enough sound to compliment one another while being done with enough differences to stand by themselves with individuality. When it comes to this release, the bottom line is, it's a winner in every way possible. 

Highlights: 犬小屋より愛をこめて, パセリ, monorium, とある星空の下

You might not realize it, but Chanty is a bit of an indies VK superband, comprised of the vocalist of Administrator and musicians of ジミニークリケット(Jiminy Cricket)タロット-Tarrot-Chemical Pictures and more. I don't list these for name-dropping purposes--I enjoyed each of those bands back in the day and they're still delivering quality tunes now, even if in a completely different style. In their short two years, they have boomed in popularity, becoming the premier representative of this recent wave of indie rock-influenced VK. While it's difficult to pin Chanty's best release at this point--"m.o.b." and the whole ヤサシイコエ single were also solid this year--this album will at least be a good indication of what 'Chanty's World' is all about.

Highlights: monorium, ダイリー, フライト

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes (JP)

Day 24: lynch. - D.A.R.K.-In the Name of Evil-

ImageImage

Release Date: 2015-10-07
Label: King Record Inc.
Genre: metalcore, pop, light visual kei influences

Impressions from @Ito:

lynch. has a knack for following up a bad release with something great. It's a bit of shame that they keep needing to bounce back and fourth, but at least DARK is on the rebound. Instead of their pretty much all metalcore approach of their last attempt, DARK feels far more well rounded, seemingly pulling influences from across their musical career. The songs tend to be at their best when lynch adds in a dash of pop sensibilities; creating songs that still manage to be intense, but don't do so at the expense of being fun or memorable. The production is also much improved from their last release - at least to my ears.

That isn't to say that this album doesn't have some dogs. Some tracks I can appreciate for trying, but fall apart in their execution (Ghost), while others feel like just plain misses (Beast, Invader). Thankfully, there is way more greatness to be found that vastly outweighs the faults.

Highlights: D.A.R.K., Evoke, Melancholic

Impressions from @ShanethVarosa:

I've always kept a low-key eye on this band. While they never made anything that impressed me or an album that had tracks that were indecipherable from one another, I knew they had the potential to and D.A.R.K. is exactly what I always wanted from them. Hazuki really can sing and scream and there are no better examples of this than the titular track and later song, Cosmos. Both show Hazuki's vocal ability and the band's ability to create songs that are heavy hitters, but can also have a melody and depth outside of just mindless screaming.

Highlights: D.A.R.K., MELANCHOLIC, ANTARES

I love lynch. a whole lot. Now that I’ve got that out of the way, I haven’t 100% enjoyed anything they’ve released since “ambivalent ideal” and “I’m sick, b’cuz love you.” The band kind of fell in the deep pit of mediocre that it seems the vast majority of Nagoya kei acts have fallen into and I was beginning to worry they’d never claw their way out of it. lynch. managed to blast off at the speed of light with D.A.R.K. and leave me so thoroughly pleased with their fantastic return, all my worries about the doom pit were erased. D.A.R.K. mixes everything I loved about earlier lynch. with all the good pieces of new lynch. and creates an entirely different sound I never expected the guys to take. If this is the direction lynch. is headed, sign me the hell up. You should join the party too.

Highlights: GHOST, EVOKE, Eternity

Impressions from @Zeus:

I wasn't too fond of the direction lynch. took after I BELIEVE IN ME. As they became more insistent than ever at playing the most core of metal, the pop hooks and musical variety which formed the core of their sound started becoming more uncommon. GALLOWS was a complete departure from everything I liked about the band and I thought they lost their spark for good. Thankfully, D.A.R.K. -in the name of evil- marks the return of old lynch. with a roaring vengeance. They finally got a handle on the metalcore sound they've been flirting with for the last few years, and the pop hooks that formed the backbone of SHADOWS and I BELIEVE IN ME make a triumphant return. "EVOKE", "FALLEN", and "INVADER" show three distinct sides of lynch, which range from alternative metal headbangers to those touching ballads we all love. There are even the visceral bangers still exist such as "BEAST" and even the jazz-inspired "GHOST" offers up a side lynch. I haven't heard in years. This is the perfect fusion of old lynch. and new lynch. and it's not hard to fathom why it's one of the best albums released this year.

Highlights: D.A.R.K, FALLEN, INVADER, GHOST

This album kind of came out of no-where for me. I mean, I knew it was getting released based on the string of singles prior to it dropping, but I wasn’t actually expecting to like it. Lynch. have been on a weird trend for me lately in which I either don’t care for an entire release, or I only like 2, maybe 3, songs (and that’s really only a mild like) at most ever since I Believe In Me. The silly album name didn’t help their cause either—but much to my surprise, this album contains a lot of variety their last album blatantly lacked and even contained a single that got me hyped to like Lynch. again. “Evoke” is one of the best songs from them that I’ve heard in a long time and is definitely an all-time favorite of mine.   Even if Lynch.’s hit-or-miss efforts of late have been having you feeling a little jaded, at least give D.A.R.K. -In the Name of Evil- a chance.

Highlights: Evoke, Beast, Moon

Impressions from @Elazmus:

Following the EVOKE and ETERNITY singles, I was concerned if their strict, uniform sound which started with EXODUS would continue to disappoint me on D.A.R.K., but I was happily proven wrong. It seems that after falling short of many fans' expectations with GALLOWS, the band has repositioned themselves since their last studio album and dug deep into their roots. For a band like lynch., who at times seem far removed from visual kei, this is majorly important. D.A.R.K. is inspired by almost all phases of lynch.'s musical journey, and shows considerable efforts were put forth in to many different areas. I recommended it before and I I would certainly recommend D.A.R.K. again to any metal fans needing something agreeable, interesting and talented.

Highlights: FALLENGHOSTDARKILLUMINATI

Sample song:

Buy the album:
CDJapan | iTunes