emmny

Emo/post-hardcore/screamo/etc Worship Thread

no, i dont mean emo as in my chemical romance, tokio hotel, post-hardcore as in a day to remember or screamo as in bring me the horizon, alesana. for the sake of this thread, exclude those types of bands because im sure there are other threads dedicated to them and their respective genres.

outside of visual kei, there's really not much i listen to except for emo/post-hardcore/screamo (+shoegaze/post-rock/black/doom/sad indie rock but thats a discussion for another thread)

i used to be a fan of scene-kid style post hardcore (warped tour stuff) when i was like 12 and fast forward 6 years later im a fan of similar stuff thats just more to true to the genre guidelines and isnt shitty scene kid stuff.  i got into screamo entirely because of envy and they're hands down my fav scramz band; i also love midwest emo alot.

im currently obsessed with thursday, mineral, funeral diner, the appleseed cast, daitro, city of caterpillar, christie front drive, envy, sunny day real estate, american football, empire! empire!, gospel, pianos become the teeth, suis la lune, touche amore

comment below with any of ur current favs within the genre, if there's an awesome underground bandcamp band you'd like to share with the rest of us and recommend+ask for recommendations!

I'm very much into screamo and have been for many a years. Raein, Neil Perry, Yaphet Kotto, Funeral Diner and (older) Envy are probably my favourites and the ones I've spent the most time on, but I am also very much into bands like Orchid, Pg.99, Daïtro, Suis la lune, Mihai Edrisch, Aussitôt Mort and so on. A nice mix of violent powerviolence/grindcore-esque, beautiful post-rock/ambient-esque and pure punk/hardcore-esque screamo bands.

Raein's Nati Da Altri Padri/Ogni Nuovo Inizio might be my very favourite screamo release. Such a massive EP, that. Brilliant stuff! The band released a new album/EP this year as well, but I haven't heard it yet. But knowing this band it's probably great, as the rest of their discography. Fantastic band!

i also love midwest emo alot.

The Get Up Kids were one of my first concerts something like (Jesus I'm old...) 16 years ago. Excited to bring it full circle and see them on their 20th anniversary tour in a few weeks!

In addition to Sunny Day Real Estate, that you mentioned, some '90s emo and post-hardcore bands I really like that maybe not everyone knows (videos of my fave tracks spoilered, live vids because of course):

Texas is the Reason

Similar to SDRE, just as enjoyable but not as popular.

Indian Summer

Seriously watch this Indian Summer video and think about the fact that it's so fucking *emo* and it was in 1993! Also so emo that they didn't even name their songs.... rock and fuckin' roll.

Quicksand

You probably know Quicksand... one of the best bands to come right after Fugazi and continue their post-HC sound..

Glassjaw

Glassjaw's Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence is absolutely essential post-hardcore/screamo listening. Probably the first band I ever heard that had those heart-on-your-sleeve screams indicative of bands I'd come to love. Dude's mic doesn't even work in the vid I posted but I would've loooooved to be at that show singing along for him.

Cirlce Takes the Square

Ok not 90s but still awesome. Caught them live a couple times and have never seen 3 people make so much noise.

Ok, I'm done.

Some recent bands that kind of have that 90s emo/post-hc/screamo vibe:

Balance and Composure

Touche Amore

Piano Becomes the Teeth

Dikembe          

Modern Baseball

Snowing

Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely State)

Crash of Rhinos

Joie De Vivre

Not quite new, but great: This Town Needs Guns. Kind of emo/math-rock, really good band

Very underrated band: I Hate Myself. Powerful and painful songs like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PX6l8FI3N0

This one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UI1_V5xgDY

bumping up this thread to spill some tea on recent discoveries

• eleventh he reaches london - stupid underrated, listen to their first album and see the face of GOD. its proggy post-rocky post-hardcore with insane vox that remind me as much of sludge as they do screamo and a touch that reminds me ALOT of funeral diner--not that shiney glittery new post shit

• benton falls - ol twinkly emo, makes me cry; lyrics are shit but i really really find it endearing (also insanely underrated)

• saosin - wrote off as shit bc i thought it was bad mid 2000's post hardcore angry white kid but their first ep is excelled post hardcore angry white kid--spastic and awesome. not underrated by any means, but i would have overlooked them entirely had it not been for a lot of good word about their first ep and the thursday comparisons

• athletics - more eits-y post-rock emo, i actually love it. sounds a bit too twinkly, but their peers make the combination a total shit show so how they keep it classy is beyond me

• a bunny's caravan - legendary band that put out a gorgeous post-rock/emo (more post-rock) ep, never played a show, broke up right after and everyone associated with the project basically dropped off the face of the earth. this sounds like a band who have been playing for years, i love the urban legend behind it anyway. great stuff.

Thought of this right away (aside from a gamut of acts you guys mentioned already) but seems like "weeb emo" is severly underappreciated anyway (fun fact: the said act evolved into another, jazz-fusion-based collective after their demise)

Also:

Lives up to its title - GOAT!

Ps. where's Slint? I thought you guys were very memetastic :(

Hey, I know we we're all hipsters, and like listening to bands that no one else listens to in here lol but lets go back to the mainstream shit for one second.

Now, I haven't listened to them since From Death to Destiny, but WTH happened to them?

Hey, I know we we're all hipsters, and like listening to bands that no one else listens to in here lol but lets go back to the mainstream shit for one second.

Now, I haven't listened to them since From Death to Destiny, but WTH happened to them?

this topic will likely be of more interest to you https://www.monochrome-heaven.com/index.php/topic/6334-asking-alexandria/?hl=%2Basking+%2Balexandria, asking alexandria have no relevance here. as you mentioned earlier, this topic is for us hipsters who listen to bands no one else listens to ^>^

@emmny knows what's up! This area music has definitely become one of my favorites over the years, but I'm not super-well versed in it either, so I'm glad to see a thread on it!

Here are some of the non-Japanese bands that I like:

Kidcrash
Spoiler

Drive Like Jehu

Spoiler

Kill Sadie

Spoiler

These Arms Are Snakes (basically the band that came after Kill Sadie)

Spoiler

Kolya

Spoiler

Native

Spoiler

Bâton Rouge (French emo)

Spoiler

Some Japanese bands I like:

akutagawa
Spoiler

This Time We Will Not Promise And Forgive

Spoiler

PLAY DEAD SEASON

Spoiler

alt of the society

Spoiler

Eastern Youth (pretty much one the progenitors of Japanese emo)

Spoiler

dipleg

Spoiler

NONREM

Spoiler

kiwiroll (キウイロール)

Spoiler

THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT

Spoiler

Z (A later band of the nemoto brothers from TIALTNGO - these guys are a bit further into the experimental tho)

Spoiler

Killie

Spoiler

Making this post, I just realized that I know much more Japanese bands in this area than non. So I'll stop here for now.

Edited by CAT5

still new to this kind of genre and don't know much, but i found this japanese band a while back and just went through their discography recently.

sora

and actually, i just found out that one of the members is in killie? i tried one of their songs a couple years ago and thought they were too screamo for me, haha....that was back then. that sample you put up was quite nice though, cat!

i checked a few bands listed here already but i'll come back and check the rest later~ lots of neat stuff here!

I mostly like French and Japanese screamo, I feel like those are the best languages for this kind of music.

CAT already mentioned most of my favs. but here's one more:

Forget Me Not

Edited by indigo

• saosin - wrote off as shit bc i thought it was bad mid 2000's post hardcore angry white kid but their first ep is excelled post hardcore angry white kid--spastic and awesome. not underrated by any means, but i would have overlooked them entirely had it not been for a lot of good word about their first ep and the thursday comparisons

Right on point about Saosin. That first EP is sooooo good.... then their vocalist left/was replaced and you realized how much of that goodness was attributable to him.

Say what u will about them, but i still think that the trilogy of ''King Park,'' ''Edward Benz, 27 Times,'' and ''I See Everything'' on La Dispute's Wildlife album is incredibly fucking powerful, i FEEL everytime yo...

Also, i fucking love mewithoutyou's style so fucking much, they're so good................. wish there were more bands like 'em. I know they kind of moved beyond the post-hardcore sound in a way, but there's still an influence there.

I have to rep The Paper Chase at all times too. I guess they're not purely post-hardcore either, but I think there's definitely some traces there too. Just such a fucking unique sound and I always listen to them when I feel anxious or when my head's in a mess.

The Black Heart Rebellion is interesting and highly rec'd too. Moved from a relatively straightforward screamo sound towards a sort of ritualistic, tribal post-reunion Swans type of sound with clean vocals.

la dispute have turned into the emo fandom's uh...lycaon??? but yes king park kicks ass, i've always just found it to be too much

ALSO

touché amoré have a new album coming out and i read the article and listened to the song and im borderline hysteric this album is prolly gonna destroy me

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/06/20/482318261/vikings-choice-touch-amor-palm-dreams

Just realized (six months late?) that Hey Mercedes released a remastered version of their Everynight Fire Works this year.

Hey Mercedes were certainly no Braid (though 3/4 of the members of Braid were in Hey Mercedes) but I still had a soft spot for that album.

Check it out if you're in the mood for some indie rock with a touch of mid-western style emo.

(why did Hey Mercedes decide their thing would be ending every single song abruptly??)

3 hours ago, Bear said:

The french screamo scene is underrated as fuck. Just wanted to let you guys know that.

What are the albums I need to check out??

I liked the Amanda Woodward album I've heard.... and that is basically the beginning and end of my familiarity with French screamo.

Daïtro - Y

Aussitôt Mort - 6 Songs

Aussitôt Mort - Montuenga

Mihai Edrisch - Mihai Edrisch

Sed Non Satiata - Sed Non Satiata

Daïtro / Sed Non Satiata split

Check 'em out!

In my teens I was very much one of those insufferable emo kids listening to all of those bands (and more) emmny rightfully excluded from this thread. Luckily I also began exploring the not at all so terrible roots of early-mid 00s emocore/post-hardcore and the 'true' sound of the genres: Fugazi, Hüsker Dü, The Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, Saetia, The Saddest Landscape, Loma Prieta, envy, Tristan Tzara etc.

To some of them I still enjoy listening today (I'll list some favourites below), although there's something about the genre of (real) screamo/emocore which makes me uncomfortable. I think it's the fact that I used this style of aggressively emotional music to fill the void in myself / battle my apathy which eventually gave it a weird overtone.

Anyway, here's some of my favs.

Spoiler

Edited by VESSMIER

i've been playing the fuck out of daitro's Y lately...so good...RIP

i wish ampere weren't broke or in activity limbo bc i need some shit