Zeus

YouTube Red

YouTube Red And You...Tube  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is YouTube Red something you see becoming successful?

• You betcha! Plus with so many devices connecting to YouTube they already laid the groundwork and can start moving fast.
    • This all depends on how many lessons they've learned from would-be competitors who tried and failed first.
    • It's only been 24 hours. I don't know enough yet to say.
    • There are a lot of competitors YouTube will have to compete with but they have a unique niche in user-created content that can work.
    • Its too late. Too many alternatives / not enough interest / not well planned out.

I totally get that they need to make a profit, but I feel like re-purposing the entire website to something that turns its back on the main reason people enjoyed the site in the first place is just bad business. The trick is to create a RELEVANT value and reason to throw money at the site. Not create a bunch of features that have nothing to do with most people's use of the site and hold it hostage until you get money from them. That's just a good way to make people walk away, imo.

What would be "relevant value"? Most people go to Youtube to do... what? Watch videos I suppose. I would say the "relevant value" of Youtube is to provide a central place for content creators to post their content and reach a huge audience. If Youtube wouldn't exist, content creators would have to post their videos on their own sites, pay for their own servers and bandwidth - and probably would struggle to even get close to the same amount of views. (And let's not get started with "move to Dailymotion" etc - Dailymotion isn't making a profit either, so that would only delay the problem.)

So if they would actually start to charge money for the central core of their service, they would have to turn into a full subscription service. As I understand it, so far they only charge money for some side-features, that we didn't had to begin with.

I mean seriously... that's like a car maker providing you with free cars for years, and then offering to add some fancy wheel caps for a charge and people start screaming: Oh no! This is the end! I want my free car, how dare they charge money for it! And even if the free car suddenly came without a stereo - it's still a free car.

Personally I'm not interested in the fancy wheel caps, so to speak, but I'm happy to have my free car.

To my understanding, and maybe I'm getting the wrong impression but it sounds like they are going to force anyone who is a YouTube partner into subscription and anyone who wants to watch that content will also have to now get a subscription.

That's not adding value to me. If they kept the new features like Google music or whatever it's called, and the ad free experience as part of a "red subsciption" that doesn't force their current user base into paying for things they don't want or won't use, then I could get behind it. But from what I've read it just feels like they want to force people into paying to watch their favorite channels now.

So this reeks of google from a mile away.

I have no problem with youtube trying to make some cash, seeing how it is a business and all, but I do have a problem with how they are going about it.

First of all, the majority of the perks they are offering for youtube red should of have been free in the first place or aren't enough as incentives. A feature like background play for the mobile app should be free, while the rest of the paid features can be easily be obtained using other free services as many others have already pointed. Don't want ads? Install adblock. Want to download youtube audio or youtube videos? Use third party sites. I've used all of the above and don't plan to stop. I have adblock 24/7, I don't have time to waste, sorry. it might be because I'm getting old, but time is valuable, and I choose not to waste those precious seconds wasting away on some stupid non related ad. And although I do subscribe to some content users, I have and will continue to support them through other means, whether that's buying their merch, product, service, or whatever else. 

The inclusion of google music is neat, but then again I don't use streaming services. I actually have amazon prime and part of that offer is receiving free online streaming from their collection of music, which is cool, but I don't even really use it, even though I have access to it. 

The other problem is the price point. $10 seems like a lot to pay for features you can already get for free, or simply being able to to play youtube in the background while on your phone. Then of course is the issue of how much youtube, or rather google actually gets from from that subscription fee. I know they say a good portion will go to youtube creators, but I have feeling that ratio will be highly skewed in youtubes favor and not the content creators. Whether content creators receive more revenue from being on the paid subscription rather than simply using ads will remain to be seen.

Then of course there is youtube exclusive content you can get from being a paid subscriber. But I'm not a big fan of anything or anyone on youtube to pay $10 a month to see a video of. I'm sure there will be special films or episodes or something like that eventually happening, but again I don't see that as a huge incentive, especially in a market that's already over-saturated and you already have competitors like netflix and amazon, and others who offer a ton more value with a lower price point, or both. 

The biggest issue I have with the way this has been handled is the fact that youtube pretty much bullied content creators to sign to youtube red or have all their videos be listed as private videos and be blocked from public viewing. It really calls in to question their claim of saying 99% of content creators were on board with youtube red when they were actually forced into it. This forced agreement may be so paying users don't have to watch ads on channels not signed to youtube red, but it goes to show how badly this paid subscription service was planned out.

There are several other ways youtube could have gone and tried to make revenue for their business rather than this mess of a plan. It's already starting to affect the community as certain videos, and entire channels are starting to disappear because they haven't, or won't agree to the youtube red services. I am not an original content creator per say, but it does worry me to see how this will affect royalty payout for music as a musician and for other musicians as well. 

Personally I will not be a subscriber. Sorry, this service isn't worth it at all. And I fail to see how this is for content creators benefits when there could have been a number of ways to implement services that helped out creators more without bullying, but then I'm guessing youtube wouldn't have seen as much revenue for themselves as they wanted to.  

I see two ways this will go. The first which I would like to see happen, is no one will pay for this BS service and it will fail miserably. The second, which seems just as likely, is a very small portion will pay for this, although it won't be as much people as youtube hopes it will be, but it will be sufficient enough for them to continue with the service until more people start to come around to it and youtube red eventually sticks. 

To my understanding, and maybe I'm getting the wrong impression but it sounds like they are going to force anyone who is a YouTube partner into subscription and anyone who wants to watch that content will also have to now get a subscription.

Not quite. Yes, anyone who is a YT partner has to make their content availible for Youtube Red. That does NOT mean that this very content will no longer be availible for free. You can still watch the free ad-supported version of that content if you don't want to subscribe. It's essentially like Spotify: you can listen to it for free, but with ads, or you can get a subscription to get rid of the ads and have some additional features like an offline modus. 

There WILL be some additional content, specifically produced for Youtube Red that will only be availible via subscription, but that is ultimately in the discretion of the content creators.

At the moment it doesn't seem that anything that is currently availible for free will be made pay-only with the new system.

Thanks for clarifying. When I read the part about them privatizing videos for partners who don't subscribe to red, I must have misinterpreted it to mean they would become part of the additional red-only content.

It still makes me curious why some channels are pulling their videos from American viewership, and how many other channels will follow suit.

Arama's Ronald made a good notion there and suggested that folks could compile Japanese music (video) channels which are affected by YT Red's States blocking - here's what they have compiled so far (Those in the states ought to check this out and comment in case there's more):

Known list of channels that are now blocked in the US:

Victor Entertainment (and channels by acts under them like Sakanaction, Southern All Stars, Hoshino Gen, and Leo Ieiri)

Columbia Music Japan (and channels by acts under them like TRUSTRICK, clammbon, and Not yet)

Up-Front (and channels by acts under them like Morning Musume, Juice=Juice, LoVendoЯ, and C-ute)

AKB48

SKE48

HKT48

NGT48

Pony Canyon (and channels by acts under them like aiko, w-inds., Katahira Rina, and cinema staff)

Teichiku (and channels by acts under them like Sayuri Ishikawa and X4)

dreamusic

P-VINE

Zankyo Record

UK.PROJECT

tricot

sputniklab

Yonezu Kenshi

Ling Tosite Sigure

Yasuda Rei

LEGO BIG MORL

Stardust

Yamaha

Flower

Alice Project

SCANDAL

The GazettE

Flying Dog (and channels by acts under like Maaya Sakamoto)

Being (and channels by acts under like B’z, Mai Kuraki, Meiri Alaha, and BREAKERZ)

Tricot's staff seems to be the only one that informed about resorting to "possible alternative solutions"

Known list of channels that are now blocked in the US:

Victor Entertainment (and channels by acts under them like Sakanaction, Southern All Stars, Hoshino Gen, and Leo Ieiri)

Columbia Music Japan (and channels by acts under them like TRUSTRICK, clammbon, and Not yet)

Up-Front (and channels by acts under them like Morning Musume, Juice=Juice, LoVendoЯ, and C-ute)

AKB48

SKE48

HKT48

NGT48

Pony Canyon (and channels by acts under them like aiko, w-inds., Katahira Rina, and cinema staff)

Teichiku (and channels by acts under them like Sayuri Ishikawa and X4)

dreamusic

P-VINE

Zankyo Record

UK.PROJECT

tricot

sputniklab

Yonezu Kenshi

Ling Tosite Sigure

Yasuda Rei

LEGO BIG MORL

Stardust

Yamaha

Flower

Alice Project

SCANDAL

The GazettE

Flying Dog (and channels by acts under like Maaya Sakamoto)

Being (and channels by acts under like B’z, Mai Kuraki, Meiri Alaha, and BREAKERZ)

This is a disaster! I also think Danger Crue Records is blocked. Besides some indie channel from bands will goes to this list, if not yet there.

(Not sure if I should include the following to this thread in particular, but it seems relevant enough to include it)

For those who want to view region blocked videos in the U.S, download TOR browser and follow these instructions substituting {US} w/ {JP}:

http://miscool.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-to-get-fake-ip-address-of-specific-country.html

While streaming on YT runs at tortuga-speed, as a free solution it should suffice for now. Also, you can use clipconverter.cc to download said video in HD quality through the browser.

I use Private Internet Access (PIA) (paid VPN) w/ region set to Japan in conjunction with TOR and get slightly better speeds.

Correction: You can change it to anywhere that isn't the US. Closer the location = better speed (for the most part). I have it set to JP anyway so I can access the UVERworld official channel :P (not the VEVO channel)

(Not sure if I should include the following to this thread in particular, but it seems relevant enough to include it)

For those who want to view region blocked videos in the U.S, download TOR browser and follow these instructions substituting {US} w/ {JP}:

http://miscool.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-to-get-fake-ip-address-of-specific-country.html

While streaming on YT runs at tortuga-speed, as a free solution it should suffice for now. Also, you can use clipconverter.cc to download said video in HD quality through the browser.

I use Private Internet Access (PIA) (paid VPN) w/ region set to Japan in conjunction with TOR and get slightly better speeds.

Going to try this because youtube can not seriously take music (something dear to all of us) away from us #REVOLUTION 

edit: IT WORKS ! Thank You :D im using {GB} as my country code incase anyones wondering

In addition to the labels below, Victor Entertainment is included. Videos from Gacharic Spin and Mary's Blood are now blocked.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/12/04/japanese-music-and-vocaloid-content-disappears-as-youtube-rolls-out-new-paid-service/

Japanese and overseas communities react to YouTube disabling U.S. access to content, as Google pressures Japanese labels and rights-holders to sign up for paid service YouTube Red.

In Japan, where copyright laws are much stricter than those of many other countries, it’s not uncommon for new music releases to only get partial airplay on the radio or a short promotional video as a means to prevent piracy. Marketing methods like these, along with including special CD-only merchandise or perks, have contributed to CD sales still making up the majority of Japan’s total music sales, despite the format slowly becoming obsolete worldwide. No doubt this is one reason why the country got off to a much slower start when it came to embracing free online streaming sites, such as YouTube, and capitalizing on the global market the way K-pop set out to do.

But just when it felt like more and more Japanese companies were finally jumping on the YouTube bandwagon, the video-sharing behemoth decided to roll out YouTube Red, a premium, ad-free subscription service that includes the ability to view videos offline or download them to your mobile device for up to 30 days.

Although YouTube claims that they have 99 percent of creators on board with the new subscription-based system, unfortunately a large number of Japanese labels are part of the one percent that has yet to sign on, and as a result their content is now unavailable to American fans—a development with came as quite a blow to fans of Japanese music in the U.S.

While fans have the option of choosing whether they would like to keep watching free videos with ads or upgrade to a more optimized viewing experience, if creators want to keep making revenue from their content, they have no choice but to agree to the new YouTube Red system.

Some labels have yet to respond to YouTube’s requests, and until they sign on, their content has been region-locked from American viewers.

Here’s an incomplete list of labels that have yet to agree to YouTube Red’s terms:

Currently Blocked

Nippon Columbia (J-pop, rock arists)
    Sony Music Japan (J-pop, rock, visual kei artists)
    AKS (AKB48 and sister groups except NMB48)
    Up-Front/zetima (Hello!Project groups)
    Pony Canyon (male and female idol groups, J-pop artists)
    P-Vine (J-pop, blues, jazz, and punk artists)
    Teichiku (Japanese enka, kayokyoku artists)
    Danger Crue (J-rock, visual kei artists)
    Stardust (J-pop artists, including Momoiro Clover Z)
    Dreamusic (J-pop artists)
    Zankyo Record (J-pop, rock, and jazz artists)
    Dir en grey (and possibly other bands managed by Free Will)

Currently Available

Avex (J-pop, rock artists)
    Universal Music Japan
    TOY’S FACTORY (Idols and J-pop artists, including BABYMETAL)
    A-Sketch (J-rock artists, including ONE OK ROCK)
    HIP LAND MUSIC (most artists)

This is problematic for Japan, since offering offline viewing and downloading capabilities isn’t something that Japanese streaming services are familiar with, and it makes it harder for Japanese companies to monitor when, where, and how content is being used in accordance to Japanese copyright laws.

Unfortunately it not only affects labels that create content, but also labels without license rights, such as Sega’s Hatsune Miku Channel, which posts Vocaloid music owned by Incstoenter.

But unlike regular music content, the Vocaloid community thrives mostly on user-created content made from Vocaloid software, and a number of U.S.-based Vocaloid content creators are also suffering as a result. Many fans say they now plan to move over to Niconico Douga, Japan’s leading video-sharing site, to get their Vocaloid fix, but for creators this could seriously damage their viewership numbers.

Recently the Japanese Vocaloid community caught wind of the issue, and many of their reactions have been less than sympathetic.

“Isn’t this good news for Japan?”
    “This is great opportunity for Niconico to get more popular in America.”
    “What’s the big deal? They should just move to another platform.”
    “This is all the work of other Asian countries that are anti-Japan. They’re trying to get Japanese culture content removed.”
    “I hope they block more and more anime. They should put a stop to illegal streaming. If they want to see it, they should pay for it.”

Because copyright policies are so strict in Japan, it may just be a matter of waiting for labels to sort through YouTube Red’s new agreement before content is restored, like with Victor Entertainment. Still, considering how most Japanese labels are reluctant to sign other similar services such as Spotify, there’s a chance that many will not.

For the time being, since YouTube Red is only available in the U.S., and therefore only affects American users, but Google has plans to expand the service to other international markets from 2016. At that point, only time will tell whether Japanese music-related content will still be available in your country or not.