CAT5

[Band Battle] MEJIBRAY vs. 八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88kasyo junrei)

Band Battle  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you enjoy more?

• MEJIBRAY!
    • å?«åå?«ã?¶æ??巡礼 (88kasyo junrei)!
    • Draw. I can't choose.
    • Double KO. Neither!

I checked out all the other band battles, I think this is the first VK band vs indie band type. It is more likely for the Mejibray haters + "indie bands are better" mentality to outweigh the Mejibray hardcore fangirl/boy-ism. Plus the effort in the visual aspect isn't really considered.

I checked out all the other band battles, I think this is the first VK band vs indie band type. It is more likely for the Mejibray haters + "indie bands are better" mentality to outweigh the Mejibray hardcore fangirl/boy-ism. Plus the effort in the visual aspect isn't really considered.

Possibly, but I feel like our community isn't as clear cut and dry as that. Looking at the list of users that voted for 88kasyo, I think very few of them consider themselves strict "indie-only" listeners. I also notice that a few of them are generally more into VK on the whole, and some even enjoy MEJIBRAY too.

I'm still surprised at the results so far, though, as I thought MEJIBRAY was quite popular here. I think it's more likely that some of their fans just haven't voted.

As for what criteria people vote by, I'd assume it differs from person to person.

I voted for MEJIBRAY just because I expected them to win and now they're not winning and I don't know what life is anymore :P

I was kinda surprised when I saw that. haha. But I gotta give you kudos for making one of the most interesting band battles I've seen in a while! I really had to stop and think about this one. 

I'm also kind of surprised Mejibray isn't killing in the poll, too. I thought for sure the vk fanbase here was bigger than the other genres. Then again, 88kasyo makes it on the year end lists so maybe they really do have a stronger following here. Such a wildcard. XD

Possibly, but I feel like our community isn't as clear cut and dry as that. Looking at the list of users that voted for 88kasyo, I think very few of them consider themselves strict "indie-only" listeners. I also notice that a few of them are generally more into VK on the whole, and some even enjoy MEJIBRAY too.

I'm still surprised at the results so far, though, as I thought MEJIBRAY was quite popular here. I think it's more likely that some of their fans just haven't voted.

As for what criteria people vote by, I'd assume it differs from person to person.

It seems that more and more people who used to praise MEJIBRAY for their... unique aesthetic and sound, have come to realize that this band does not offer more than the constantly recycled and repetitive repertoir they have been using. They are by no means a positively inventive band anymore, and relentlessly repeat their faults, over and over again. Personally I'd be glad to see the hype about them die out as it is rather clear that they have only been selling their image as of late (they do look more horrible by every release, by the way), and they sell their image because the noise that they call music is difficult to be sold.

They aren't standing out in the poll because most people know this, and they had rather choose quality over popularity.

It seems that more and more people who used to praise MEJIBRAY for their... unique aesthetic and sound, have come to realize that this band does not offer more than the constantly recycled and repetitive repertoir they have been using. They are by no means a positively inventive band anymore, and relentlessly repeat their faults, over and over again. Personally I'd be glad to see the hype about them die out as it is rather clear that they have only been selling their image as of late (they do look more horrible by every release, by the way), and they sell their image because the noise that they call music is difficult to be sold.

They aren't standing out in the poll because most people know this, and they had rather choose quality over popularity.

Perhaps. Your observation might be entirely spot on, but I wouldn't recommend reading too deeply into these polls...at least not enough to draw any concrete or concise conclusions from. I feel like we all vote in these according to our own subjective criteria, so bearing that in mind, I'd simply take the results at face value without interpeting them as an objective statement on the relative quality of both bands. Besides, what's quality to another might be trash to the next, and vice versa. ; )

As for me, if this poll was made back when MEJIBRAY was just starting out (like around their first few releases), I would've easily voted for them. Now, however... I just kinda became tired of them doing the same ol' MEJI-tropes only worse or more cringe-worthy and formulaic compared to when they were just testing the waters. On the other hand, 88kasyo does have a kind of 'set style', but it's immensely enjoyable, no matter what I listen to from them (in that regard, they're kinda like a quirky prog-indie Motörhead, heh).

it is rather clear that they have only been selling their image as of late (they do look more horrible by every release, by the way)

Ah yes, so horrible because they don't dress like they're from the 16th century. 

88kasyojunrei, whilst very good from a technical view have too much going on in their music and it can end up sounding messy

Mejibray on the other hand seem scared to go out of their comfort zone and have an average vocalist

So I went Double KO! 

i gotta go with Mejibray. idk, i guess i just have a weird taste in music in that i actually love everything Mejibray produces lmao *prepares to get shot*

i've never heard of 88kasyo junrei before. they do have an interesting sound, buuuut...

Mejibray takes this one.

Edited by itsukoii

I hadn't listened to 88kasyou before this thread, and in fairness I tried out both of their songs before making a decision; while I don't think they're bad by any means, they're just not my cup of tea, personally (especially the vocals). I'm also one of the few people that's actually still enjoying Meji's releases for the most part (even if some tracks have been boring, even for me), so while they may be getting tired/boring/formulaic, I still listen to them. I wouldn't necessarily say their looks are going downhill either, they've just been doing some new/different things with every release, and again, I may not like every single one, but overall I'm not unhappy with it. They might not be the same good old Meji from "back in the day," but I like them anyway.

tl;dr Mejibray for me.

Never heard 88kasyo before this thread.. tried the previews but I found both songs to be irritating. The guitar playing is super obnoxious in a bad way.

MEJIBRAY's discography is full of some mediocre repetitive shit, but they occasionally pull something amazing out of their collective ass. And if I were to judge solely on the samples given, I would still vote MEJIBRAY because Sadisgate & Sabbat are two of their best songs.

(by the way, just because Meto is my avatar doesn't mean I'm a MEJI fangirl. He just conveniently posed next to a blank surface.)

Edited by peffy

That's a nice way to promote 八十八ヶ所巡礼. Never heard them before. Thanks for show me them and their shirtless drummer. lol

never heard of 88kasyo junrei before, but will be listening to them in future. Fell in love immediatly. thanks for the introduction!

Having said that, my vote goes for Mejibray. I enjoy pretty much everything they make. Paradigm paradox is their only release I don't like. hell, I probably wouldn't even be on this forum if it wasn't for mejibray. They sort of got me back to VK.