CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #30: When discovering a new artist, what types of releases do you gravitate towards first?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #29  

52 members have voted

1. 1. When discovering a new artist, what types of releases do you gravitate towards first?

• Albums. Let me hear their skills from beginning to end.
    • Singles. A nice, concise sample of their sound and will help me to know if I like them or not.
    • Mini-albums. A good middle ground between the two.
    • Best Of releases or compilations if possible. To get a nice summary of their overall sound.
    • No preference.

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #29: When discovering a new artist, what types of releases do you gravitate towards first?

Poll suggested by @Zeus!

djrooms_gifanimations4-04.gif

To submit a poll for the MH POLL OF THE WEEK, P.M. either @CAT5 or @beni with your poll question, choices, and state whether it's multiple choice or not.

I generally go for the newest release and/or the thing with a song I recognize and branch out from there. A lot of bands I end up liking/checking out don't even have albums and it's mostly singles or mini-albums so it's rarely a thing I even think about.....

I like listening to a band's first album. I usually find that bands I enjoy have a really strong first album.

(and then it's all downhill from there)

JK : P

I like best-of releases. They usually give a clear and concise overview of how the band's sound has changed over the years, and I find that's usually a better first impression of an artist than any specific album.

Dragon Ash's "Best of with Changes" is a really good example. If you were to listen to "Mustang!" first and then go straight to something like "Independiente" it wouldn't make any sense, but the compilation gives you a smooth transition from their early stuff into the rap era and the more Latin-inspired sound.

No real preferences.

I might look up on their names on search engine.

And see what comes up.

And if there are some YT videos come up as search results.

I will listen to it and know how their music is.

And it's all down from there.

From example, my first DEG song was Cage.

But not until FILTH will I become their die hard fan.

The release that's supossed to be the best, and if it it's a totally unknown band I'll go with the one with the best artwork. Don't give a shit if it's an album, EP, single or a compilation.

Allow me to knock on a few things before actually revealing my decision:

1) Singles: this MIGHT work a bit in terms of vk format but it shouldn't take a genius to realize singles being somewhat irrelevant content-wise in the world of "casual" J-music or anything non-Japanese for that matter. Remixes or odd live takes tend to infest singles for the most part too, so it's anything but descriptive tbqh.

2) Best-ofs: I actually had a glimpse of motivation to pull-off a large-scale thread project in MH that would be related to this release format ("Create your own greatest hits"-MH collaborative project, FYI). But seeing as our community lacks curiosity in terms of non-staff threads (for the most part), I ditched everything about it.

And how does this relate to my opinions on best-ofs? The idea of CYOGH itself would revolve around the fact that most best-ofs, in spite of the country/region (e.g. RES' best-of), are rather despotically compiled clusterfucks you'd rather name as "the most popular of", if we were to go with more precise names. One might of course disagree, but I personally see best-ofs as being more of label-ridden "mainstream scopes" rather than actual recommendation sets handpicked by band's/artist's respective fandom.

3) Mini-albums: depends on what kind of scene or format is in question ("EP" vs. mini-album) - for EPs, see singles, and for mini-albums - depends on their quantity/quality factor (most minis tend to be too subtle).

TL;DR - and Juka had thoughts that I'd back up very well :)

The only compilations worth anything are those with non-album singles, b-sides, studio outtakes and curiosities like that (they could be the only way to go for early 60's and 50's music and earlier)

EPs can be a good way to start with groups that made a number of great EPs like Cocteau Twins, but are generally not the best choice, even with Cocteau Twins

Original studio albums all the way

But why are the answers to this poll so awfully phrased, full of strange assumptions?

"let me hear their skills from beginning to end"??? :blink::lol: I can't vote on this!

I'm in a bit of a unique spot because of my lyrics site. I discovered many of my current favourites by people requesting lyrics for those bands. (for example, I found Gossip, Grieva, Memento Mori -> Kuroyuri to Kage, and Crimson Shiva from requests).

Otherwise, I wish I had more time to check out random bands, but I don't, so I usually stick to what I already know.

... I usually do not like "Best of" compilations made up of only singles, because for *most* bands, those would just be their most "radio-friendly" songs, which tend to be the least interesting songs. For instance, Mejibray. I love a lot of their B-sides, but only a few of their A-sides. If SM was the first thing I'd heard from them, I might not have bothered to find & listen to their other things.

But why are the answers to this poll so awfully phrased, full of strange assumptions?

"let me hear their skills from beginning to end"??? :blink::lol: I can't vote on this!

But why is @Des always so critical of others, despite never bothering to contribute anything of his own?

As for me, I don't generally have a preference, but I'd go with albums if possible. It also depends on the artist/band too. If they have a small discography, then I'll probably just check out whatever is available, but if they've been especially prolific, then I might ask around for recommendations first.

I usually tend to lean towards albums, and work my way up through a band's discography by year of release. However, nowadays most bands I discover are new (frankly, because everything 'old', I pretty much already know) and only have one or two products out so far, so there isn't much choice regarding those. 

But why is @Des always so critical of others, despite never bothering to contribute anything of his own?

Aw, you overlooked the rest of the message? Any other messages? The cat suffers from selective memory syndrome?

I think it's a fine poll, but the possible voting options are filled with needless assumptions. Why would "skills" even have anything to do with why one would prefer to start listening to a full album? Skills =/= enjoyable music. Why would "a good middle ground" be a reason why one could prefer EPs as a start? That doesn't even make sense. A middle ground for what, time investment? Is that even an issue?

My implied contribution in addition to the comments on compilations and EPs would be that the poll's option could be better if the assumptions were removed and only the different formats remained. If that wasn't clear I am terribly sorry!!! ! !

c727f46cb5394b433ff3a876647bd136.gif

If it's a long standing band, I prefer listening to a best of. But this is usually only after I've done what @yakihiko mentioned and generally watched a pv or heard a song that sparked my interest in the first place. 

If it's a fairly new band or there are no best ofs, I'll gravitate to whatever their most recent release was. Because I find it really discouraging to learn bout a band and find I only liked their early work. I'd rather be on board with their new stuff or spend that time finding another band who is currently making music I enjoy. 

No preference. I sometimes look at what their most recent releases are like, or watch their pvs on youtube, or I just try out random things I come across.

Aw, you overlooked the rest of the message? Any other messages? The cat suffers from selective memory syndrome?

I think it's a fine poll, but the possible voting options are filled with needless assumptions. Why would "skills" even have anything to do with why one would prefer to start listening to a full album? Skills =/= enjoyable music. Why would "a good middle ground" be a reason why one could prefer EPs as a start? That doesn't even make sense. A middle ground for what, time investment? Is that even an issue?

My implied contribution in addition to the comments on compilations and EPs would be that the poll's option could be better if the assumptions were removed and only the different formats remained. If that wasn't clear I am terribly sorry!!! ! !

c727f46cb5394b433ff3a876647bd136.gif

Despite you getting on CAT's case for posting the poll, I came up with the questions for this one. And those "needless assumptions" are there to make the poll look like more than bunch of hastily-scribbled one-word answers, and possibly provide for a way to start conversation (which I guess it did, but not the kind I was hoping for). You're reading too much into something that doesn't mean anything. If it bothers you so much mentally omit them.

Depends on what they have available. If it's a big band with a lot of releases, I'll typically go for the most recent album. I generally find that singles aren't enough to give me an idea of their sound. If that's all they have is singles, then I'll grab the most recent three or so.  I most prefer mini-albums and if they happen to have one of those, even if it's in the middle of their discography, I'll definitely gravitate towards that lol.

In terms of chronology, I'll start with most recent always because I believe bands progress 90% of the time. Most of the time, as I go back, I like the music less and less. Not always though, just...mostly.

It depends on how new the band/artist is and what they have available.

If it's recommended to me, then I will ask for a suggestion. If it's something I have decided to try on my own (most of the time) I listen to the newest first and back track since whatever they released/promoted in the current is probably what intrigued me to take a look at them anyway. 

I usually find a video of the band/artist on youtube and if I find something I like I will check out the release with that song.

Otherwise I tend to check out one of their most recent releases then start from their first release.