Sign in to follow this  
wesjrocker

Anime about rock bands

Does anyone know good anime that focus around rock bands ?

BECK (26 episodes): I think this is the best one because it explains lots of things about learning an instrument and being in a band.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2320

I've watched Kaikan Phrase which is closer to the visual kei genre, but after some episodes, it starts to get boring, too much romance and less talk about music, anyway, it was worth it because of the music and the first episodes. The band that did the soundtrack was called Lucifer. The songs are very nice.

Kaikan Phrase (44 episodes)http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=843

To-y (1 OVA): I've found this one searching through anidb website, it looks like a classic.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2922

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Wyj9dy__Y

Kaikan Phrase anime has too much romance? Bro! If you can't tolerate the anime version, then you'll loathe the manga to death because it shoves the music side of things like a side mission and focuses way too much on ridiculous shojo smut romance. The lackluster animation was my biggest gripe with Kaikan Phrase and it's really sad the show never even got a DVD release.

Detroit Metal City is the only other anime I can think of that's about a metal band but of course it focuses more on the comedy aspect than the musical side of things. Only 12 eps total but each episode is less than 15 min long. You can easily finish it in 2-3 hours.

Macross 7 is all about a rock band trying to save the world from aliens by piloting their mechs playing music. Definitely worth checking out if you love hearing Fire Bomber's music. There's both a TV series and OVA sequels that'll keep you entertained.

https://youtu.be/fbMLfwZcKHM

Was all Macross about a rock band?  I had no idea.  I have never watched any Macross, though it was everywhere anime was when I was growing up.  I was more into other stuff like Ranma, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Mermaid's Scar.  And Gundam.

I'll have to watch it, looks a little retro, I like that :D

It's not an anime, but in the KISS XXXX manga the protagonist is the lead singer of a Visual Kei band. The PV of Penicillin with the same name is inspired on this manga and also Plastic Tree's Ryutaro said this manga influenced him~

DMC is the shit :D :D Beck is one of my all-time favorites. there was this anime with VK-ish theme, a bit boys love involved. but kept me kind of entertained. too bad i can't remember it's name :( i'll be sure to post it once i somehow manage to remember it........

DMC is the shit :D :D Beck is one of my all-time favorites. there was this anime with VK-ish theme, a bit boys love involved. but kept me kind of entertained. too bad i can't remember it's name :( i'll be sure to post it once i somehow manage to remember it........

Gravitation?

Gravitation?

no no. Gravitation is also one of my big favesss (Kotani Kinya <3!)but it's more about that pop scene. but that other one had this sad romantic, melancholic vibe kinda. started with a guy getting into a band he adores due its guitarist and someone spots him. later they make a big star out of him and his new band. the guitarist in the first band writes lyrics for them all the time and in the end ends up joining them. all hail almighty love! i'd like to re-watch it, but god dammit.

no no. Gravitation is also one of my big favesss (Kotani Kinya <3!)but it's more about that pop scene. but that other one had this sad romantic, melancholic vibe kinda. started with a guy getting into a band he adores due its guitarist and someone spots him. later they make a big star out of him and his new band. the guitarist in the first band writes lyrics for them all the time and in the end ends up joining them. all hail almighty love! i'd like to re-watch it, but god dammit.

I really can't stand Gravitation, and the likes of it. Why don't they make animes without those stupid dialogues and sappy emotional displays? puke.gif

I really can't stand Gravitation, and the likes of it. Why don't they make animes without those stupid dialogues and sappy emotional displays? puke.gif

'Cause it's what Tumblr girls like, you know.

I was about to mention Bakumatsu Rock too, but I haven't seen it yet.  And I love both Beck and DMC!  Will be sure to check the others mentioned here too, especially Nana because I've been meaning to for a long time now.  Also, I didn't know that To-y had an OVA!  I found out about the manga through Yusuke (THE NOVEMBERS), though I haven't read it yet either.

And well, I guess no one's gonna mention K-on! haha.  I know it's very cutesy and moe, but hey it's got the component instruments of a rock band.  And oddly enough, I did enjoy it for the music aspect, not so much of the moe though, of course.

'Cause it's what Tumblr girls like, you know.

but i ain't no tumblr girl. i think stuff like Gravitation is a good change for dark-dark everyday life :D music there is also pretty catchy :D

Nana is iconic. Fight me.

Why would we fight you if it's a given fact? :P

Speaking of something totally out of spectrum, you guys forgot Daft Punk-based Interstella 5555 (which was basically about some space-age alien rock band getting into some odd hi-jinks)

Sign in to follow this