Sign in to follow this  
Elazmus

[REVIEW] Dead Children - Haunted Vox. [Mini-Album][2015.08.19]

Artists: Dead Children

Album: Haunted Vox.

Date: 2015.08.19

Label: Licht Entertainment

Mini-Album debut for Ray's new powerhouse known as Dead Children. With an enjoyable demo single under their belt, they set out to continue pleasing and impressing those longing Nega fans and new listeners alike. There is nothing terribly new or groundbreaking to be heard here. However, this lineup has strong chemistry and a lot to offer in it's simplicity. Take a chance if you haven't already!

01. D.N.A. - The band's first SE track opens with an echoing shriek sounding as if it were taken from classic horror cinema. This was heard back when the previews were originally posted for Haunted Vox. Replacing the words "Dead Children" with SE title "D.N.A." (Personally I like how it sounded originally but it really makes no difference lol.) a heavy, stifling industrial beat chugs in with a tantalizing gothic synth dancing overhead. The screams eventually return, spanning not quite two minutes, I find this entirely jam-able from beginning to end, perfect to set the pace. For what it is: (5.0/5.0)

02. Heretical Child - Kicking off with a blast from the drums and a scream from Minami, Heretical Child hits a catchy industrial metal riff that certainly reminds me of other artists in the genre like the late D'espairsRay. The synth over the main riff is not so appealing to me but serves to be less noticeable in the energy of the song. The verse begins with whispered lines and the choir synth gives a distinct "haunted" vibe. Continuing now with full harsh vocals, the patterns of which continue to make me think of Manson. Finally we reach Dead Children's catchiest chorus yet. After a short interlude, you'll be deafened by a shrill, distorted guitar solo that is very hard to digest for the first few listens. Heretical Child along with the SE has gotten the most replay thus far. Good call including the main riff again through to the end. (4.5/5.0)

03. Jubaku ni Mushibamareta, Nama o Nozomu Tsubasa - Heavy, heavy, heavy. No punches pulled. Barking and growling, a slow, stomping riff that is hard to disappoint. Good variety of sound although I feel Minami's harsh vocals are more filtered than other songs? Difficult to tell as I've never gotten to hear the demo single in prime quality. The Chorus is stark and dramatic, an octave higher than expected perhaps. This is one that makes me interested to hear more choruses from him. There isn't a lot to pick apart here. Just over 3 minutes and all quite good. (4.0/5.0)

04. Black Lily - The previously-shared PV track for Haunted Vox. Begins to feel that much more like Nega. Starts with a muffled vocal solo before the song breaks down to it's expected level. The background sounds subtly make this song what it is, and Ray's bassline is quite hard to ignore. The synth over the main riff this time around is VERY cool although the riff itself sounds a bit like a refocusing of the general style in CLOSET. Minami's growls are invigorating and the rhythm has a lot of replay to it to begin with. The chorus too ends up sounding like the reforming of the melodies from the CLOSET single. This is something I'm looking past, with the previous single being a demo, but it did reach my attention lol. The PV for this song is also beautiful and a great introduction to this band for those who don't know of them. (4.5/5.0)

05. ANACLISIS - Following a pounding bass intro, ANACLISIS hits with a quick chorus line before getting serious. Originally I had a problem with the common move of sticking the chorus right up front that has ruined VK songs for me in the past. This song however benefits by providing a little experimentation by their current standards. I'm very into the fragile falsetto sound shown off here. I cannot even hide my shame from how much I love the breakdown and growl at 1:53. No shortage of haunted synth and actually a nice general guitar solo to offer which Heretical Child was sorely missing. This took the most to grow on me of this mini album. Still growing, but I play it more now than originally!  (3.5/5.0)

06. Jukai no Yubiwa - Delicate piano and another vocal intro. This time not giving way to grueling heaviness as with Black Lily. The song stays airy as the drums march up to meet it. It's a slow progression ultimately leading up to a strangely sweet chorus. I believe the melody may be a bit above Minami's range, but you don't grow if you don't push I suppose. Shir0 and myself discussed this one to be hard to get into and hard to focus on while doing other things. It really is quite good to focus on, seems like a large undertaking for their current skillset on their first release. Unexpectedly, the song very softly twinkles out of existence with no sign of turning back or surprising with aggression at the last minute. (3.5/5.0)  

Conclusion: I think if anything could be improved on this release, it's the track ordering. Scaling down the energy though ANACLISIS and Jukai no Yubiwa results in me playing the first half of the mini much more than the latter half even remembering the closing tracks to be good. Placing ANY of the first 3 songs between these two could have done a world of good. Either way, put it on a playlist with Haunted Gate and CLOSET and you have a decently flushes out collection of songs. I'd love to hear anyone else's feedback on this mini album so hotly anticipated (...by me).

RECOMMEND: YES.

Overall I thought the whole minialbum was really good. The opening track took a second to get used to for me, but the rest of it I felt was really solid. I'm excited to see what these guys come out with next.

Ok, this is my first time listening to this band. Don’t know the history behind them, but I saw some hype surrounding them so I decided to check them out. 

I’ll get right to the point and say it left me very unimpressed. This a below average release.

First off the intro track is way too long. It isn’t interesting enough and is very stale, not much if anything changes over time. Should have scrapped this track or cut it down to under a minute. I did love the screams at the beginning though.

The next three songs have lots of problems. First the synth leads and electronic bits are way too overused. In some instances they’re used effectively, but during the main parts, they’re not melodic or interesting enough, or don’t have sufficient support from the rest of the instruments. Heretical Child is the prime example of this. If your'e going to rely on synth leads you better make them melodic and memorable. 

Another issue with that track is the transition into the chorus and the chorus itself which is really weak.

Jubaku is a slight improvement, but its still a below average track. The chorus is passable on this song, but the rest of the track is forgettable. It’s trying to be a heavy hitter, when in execution is comes across as a generic and a convoluted mess. Those “heavy” parts ruin whatever interesting ideas the track had going for it.

Black Lilly started off promising with the cool piano, creepy vocals, guitars and drudging bass lines and then the crappy synth leads and the band trying to be brutal ruined it.  Come on guys >.< this song had potential.  

Anaclisis. Ok, I actually like this song. It’s the only track the band got right when it comes to mixing the electronic and metal styles. The composition and build up of the song actually make sense. There aren’t any distracting electronic leads, the transitions are serviceable, the chorus is decent, and the band properly used a breakdown.  \m/  The only moment on this release when I went hell yeah and wanted to headbang. 

The last track on this release is probably the best. It’s a ballad and it’s actually well done. Good emotional chorus, cool piano accompaniment, nice string sections, and mandatory emote solo. If only the rest of the of the songs on this release could have been held to this standard.

One last problem I have with this release is some of the guitars solos. Heretical Child has the worst solo I’ve heard in a while. Even the solo on  Anaclisis is not that good. It’s literally just a wah pedal that leads into sustained half/whole notes. It ends up sounding very boring, and emotionless. Which is strange because the solo on Jukai no Yubiwa is actually really good. I don’t know what’s up with the inconstancy but that needs to be fixed.

If 5/10 indicates a average run of the mill album, then I’m going to have give this release a 3.5/10.

Too many songs and pitfalls ruin it and the only 2 good tracks can’t make up for that. 

Things the band needs to get together

- Better electronic leads

- Know when to transition into heavy parts ( don’t just randomly throw the listener in and out.)

- Get better at combining the electronic and metal aspects. 

- Improve the guitar solos

Sign in to follow this