Sign in to follow this  
Elazmus

[REVIEW] MEJIBRAY - VENOMS.app [Mini-Album][2015.08.05]

Artist: MEJIBRAY

Album: VENOMS.app

Release: 2015.08.05

VENOMS.app is MEJIBRAY's third mini-album to date and comes packed in a roller coaster release schedule featuring four other singles in 2015, two still to come. This is also the shortest of their mini-album releases, just 22 minutes (with MESSIAH.bat and Silvers.exe reaching 25 and 30 respectively). Upon a first listen, it felt deflating listless to me. Capitalized my Tsuzuku's vocals drifting into what could be called bored, droning, and decidedly safe. After a few days' listen however, I've developed a familiar fondness for each track and would say that there isn't a truly bad one to be found.

As for individual tracks;

Moudoku(Deadly Poison)(SE): An official CD release of MEJIBRAY's signature anthem and live intro. Also my first problem with the mini-album. I have personally never been interested in this track and in the back of my mind, the sound of it only makes me think of watching previews for their recent PVs repeatedly. IMO does nothing to inspire the mini-album or set the tone. Could be nothing more than a pleaser for live fans. (0/5)

VENOMS: Title and PV track as usual. Opening with the piano tune that was shown in the PV. Setting the tone for the album on it's own, symphonic theme sounding quite pleasant (it actually sounds like something I kept trying to write in middle school music when using keyboards lol). Pretty basic main guitar riff for a standard MEJIBRAY song. The verse is a bit dull and bored, but the harsh vocal section really sold me and the song takes it's time reaching the chorus which is an easy selling point. Sounds like something right at home on The 420, somewhat like Hungry Psychopath. This one was stuck in my head prior to release as expected. Could use more energy in some sections but is undeniably solid (4.0/5.0)

Kairi: The most ominous and intriguing of the album samples. Perhaps the most dramatic build we have heard from MEJIBRAY, somehow the symphonic sound over marching guitar rhythm sounds.. off? The actual melody is had to place and almost sounds as if the wrong key was struck. I'm sure this isn't the case but it makes the synth a bit hard to digest. This is one of those 'reverse' songs where the chorus features all harsh vocals after mostly soft clean singing. I like that this song carries the same air as VENOMS but even more somber. I did expect more from this track, suffers from listlessness as much as anything on this release. Even so, it takes it's risks and I like it. (4.0/5.0)

Until...: Strikes me as almost a direct follow up to Kairi (which in itself already follows VENOMS nicely) making feel like they belong together. This is my favorite song from the mini, I think it has a lot of the things that Kairi lacked. Yet another swaying, symphonic atmosphere surrounds the opening. This time accompanied by a twinkling, morose piano. One of my big draws to this song is the sense that Tsuzuku took more care in the vocals overall. More effort to delicately lay out the melodies and be consistent with his vibrato. The chorus is very strong and the song sports an equally strong guitar solo that DOESNT sound like a bunch of other MEJIBRAY solos (thank you). This one I think will stay with me the longest. MEJIBRAY at their current best (4.5/5.0)

ACME: MEJIBRAY's signature twangy guitar and bass choke into life sounding like an engine turning over and struggling before finally starting. High energy where it was mostly absent up until now. ACME is almost a textbook b-side for this band. Somewhat disappointed in the vocals here, though the melody is pleasant. There is too much hacking by Tzk on every other note. There isn't a whole lot to say about ACME that hasn't been said about recent b-sides already. There is some screaming, there is a solo, but both are likely heard before from anyone actively following them. I would have gone to a 3 or higher here but keeping in mind that this is a mini album and NOT a single, I expect a bit more when discerning what tracks deserve a spot on the list. Still a good listen (2.5/5.0)

Kodoku no Catacomb: Rolling guitar and bass riff into a cacophony familiar to MEJIBRAY fans. The vocals bounce back and fourth between speaking tone and Tsuzuku's dry, quiet harsh vocals (think XV). There isn't much more to this sub-3minute track until the chorus, which despite sounding out of place, has gotten stuck in my head more than most things from this mini. This is also most easily categorized and dismissed as a b-side, but I think it has a lot of it's own charm and I'll be returning to it for sure. (3.5/5.0)

Rui(Trouble)(SE): *Feels ripped off again* So they basically included the same SE twice on this mini album, once at the beginning of VENOMS and then for some reason again as it's own song at the end here. I truly cannot decide which SE is more frustrating to me. As much as I don't care at all for the live intro, I can't even think of a reason to justify the way Rui was just DUMPED here. (0/5.0)

VENOMS.app makes a lot of mistakes, has a lot of cool selling points and ultimately, like most of their releases, leaves me wondering exactly what is next for MEJIBRAY. I'm sure they realize this based on their release schedule. There is quite good material here, but I think the packaging is wrong, this could in fact be more of an extended single stretched out into a mini album. Thoughts?

Nice review... you're probably slightly higher on the mini than I would be overall, but I think you and I agree about which are the good songs and which ones are 'meh'.

There is quite good material here, but I think the packaging is wrong, this could in fact be more of an extended single stretched out into a mini album. Thoughts?

I don't really keep up with Mejibray criticism but this has got to be a huge knock against them right? They're just too prolific it seems.

It's like, if you took all the tracks they released in any given year you could probably make a really kick ass 10 song album out of each list... but they keep releasing what seems like over 20 songs each and every year and it really waters down the final product. They need someone to tell them that not every song they write is worthy of wide release.

I feel like I had the same problem with mid-2000s Mucc. Plenty of good tracks, but sooo many throwaway songs that my overall enjoyment of them as a band was diminished.

I don't really keep up with Mejibray criticism but this has got to be a huge knock against them right? They're just too prolific it seems.

It's like, if you took all the tracks they released in any given year you could probably make a really kick ass 10 song album out of each list... but they keep releasing what seems like over 20 songs each and every year and it really waters down the final product. They need someone to tell them that not every song they write is worthy of wide release.

I feel like I had the same problem with mid-2000s Mucc. Plenty of good tracks, but sooo many throwaway songs that my overall enjoyment of them as a band was diminished.

You have described how I feel perfectly.

Also great review! I can't comment because I haven't heard this mini but I like how you structured it and how closely your ratings match up with your words.

No talk about the first intro, it looks like they only want to win 250yens on sites/apps like itunes. Maybe is good on live and just it.

Venoms should like nothing special to me when the preview comes. But this did well with the final material.

Not the best they can do yet, but for this moment of them is very well appreciate.

The last intro is perfect as fuck, I'm happy they did a longer and split version of it. The piano ♡

Acme is pretty good and sound a bit with Crazy Brain (?), btw I like a bit too.

Kodoku no Catacomb looks like a parent from XV in the rhythm, drums and bass I think.

Until and kairi sounded bleh to me, sorry to those who like it.

Is sad to see that Mejibray delivery material that don't have potential, since 420 had release, I feel myself losting the hope on this guys every release. On this release it was nice that besides those two bad singles I still enjoyed half from that mini.

Is not a thing a can say I will be playing and repeating, but Venoms and Rui are tracks that I'm listening a lot this days.

Maybe should be a new ship between me and Mejibray growing back.

Once again I say, they should stop like releasing every month and make a powerful album like Karma was.

True ending: :_6.5/10_:

Good review, thank you :)

They need someone to tell them that not every song they write is worthy of wide release.

This exactly, it seems like the release literally EVERYTHING they write. Like there's nothing left on the cutting room floor at any time because they've used and leftover material to mash into throwaway casserole songs instead of sitting on ideas for a while and writing something that makes them payoff more.

If anyone here MEJIblazes, it often feels like they are scraping the same bowl after every smoke up just to squeeze out the smallest amount of res and instantly smoke it. The result for both is usually stale and tasteless. Bordering on headache inducing. God I love these boys.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) maybe I'll do more this year.

This is a very good review! I agree with all the sentiments that the constant releases from Mejibray are creating a very stale feeling. I've also had the whole "bored at first listen" feeling with this mini, but like you I'm sure I'll like it more in a few days after a few more listens, just like I have with many of Mejibray's other recent releases. Hopefully they'll realize that they need to chill out with all their releases soon....Then maybe I can finally be as excited as I used to be about hearing their new music. 

I told myself I was giving up on Mejibray but I just can't seem to yet.

"Until..." was also my favorite on this release. It's the only song I remotely liked, tbh. But at least it's enough to keep a small spark of hope alive. I 100% agree with your comment that they need to be more selective with the material they release and hold some kind of more consistent quality level. 

Nice review. :)

Do find that the SE's were out of placce or I guess not needed at all. For SE's I usually look forward to the one's that lead kind of cleverly into the start of the next song. I think those one's are cleverly done but that's just me. Moudoku didn't quite do that for me I felt I guess they could've put Rui as the first track and maybe dropped moudoku all together. But I guess as a fan most people would grab it just to have everything they have so I guess thats why you chose the regular or the limited edition. I guess for this release the limited editions would've been the safest bet.

I do like that they kept the same kind of somber melancholy sound through out the whole release, so that it seemed like that had a clear planned out style they were going for on the release. The order of songs was actually great for the first 3 tracks just like you said feeding one into the next except the SE.

Only thing is I think my favorite track was Kairi. It had everything, like the peak of somberness, the screams, the vibrato, basically everything complied into that one song and love the chorus too.

Like you said ACME is probably my least favorite of the lot. I think "Kodoku no Catacombe" shouldve came after "Until.." and hmm let me see

1)Kasane

2)VENOMS

3)kairi

4)Until...

5)Kodoku no Catacombe

I think that would've been a solid track list and would've gotten them a higher score. ACME could've been placed on a single of similar value. Think I would rate the mini a 3.5/5 probably a 4.5 or 5 if the above list had happen. Anyways, that's what I think.

Love the review

I agree with your review. 

I was really excited about this release but... as a whole it left me somewhat bored. As people before me have already said, Moudoku felt really misplaced and Rui didn't even have to be there when it was already being used in the beginning of VENOMS. 

I was a bit afraid of VENOMS when I first heard the short preview because the chorus did not feel quite right, however, I came to really like it when I heard the song as a whole. The verse was a bit slow, but the following scream and Koichi's bass part made it up for me. 

Kairi instantly got me with its dark atmosphere. And the lyrics are probably going to be great, too. (I've managed to find a spanish translation but really I am waiting for a Heresiarchy's english translation) 

Until...'s guitar solo is my favourite thing of the whole mini. There are a few of MiA's solos (f.e. Anemone is the first that comes to my mind) that can spark something inside of me and this is one of them. It was an instant love.

ACME and Kodoku no Catacombe are not that memorable for me, sadly. They are certainly nice to listen to, but lack that 'something' that would make me hit the repeat button. I am putting my hope into lyrics.
I love Tsuzuku's lyrics. 

That being said, I feel like my expectations for Venoms.app were a bit too high. Nevertheless, my hunger for more Meji was satisfied and I am digging their current look, all four of them look stunning.
I am still waiting for my package with Type B (Akasaka footage, yiss) to come.

I told myself I was giving up on Mejibray but I just can't seem to yet.

This is pretty much me after every Mejibray release. I'll sometimes find a song here and there that I like from them and I really loved VanessA but Mejibray just can't hold my interest for some reason. Still I go back hoping my opinion of them will change but it just never does. I don't understand their popularity at all. I always find myself getting bored of their songs.

Sign in to follow this