CAT5

Recommended Tracks: July 2015!

Poll: Mh's Best New Tracks: July 2015  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite tracks from this month's list? (multiple choice)

• D.I.D. - "Fatal Error Race"
    • DADAROMA - "æ?ã?ã?ªã??ã??ã?¼ (Urei libido)"
    • Diawolf - "Everlasting Flavor"
    • Kamijo - "ã?のä¸?でä¸?ç?ªç¾?ã?ã?è??è??ã?? (Konoyo de Ichiban Utsukushii Bara Yo)"
    • Lament. - "The Screaming Pain"
    • My Fairytale - "鳥籠ã??ã?­ã?¤ã?¡ã?©ã?¤ (torikago träumerei)"
    • Purple Stone - "ã?¢ã?ªã?¤ã?¤ã?? (Aoi Yami)"
    • ã?³ã??ã?¢ã??ã?©ã?´ã?³ (Codomo Dragon) - "ç ? (Keiki)"
    • ã?¦ã??ã?¤ã?? (UNiTE.) - "é? è?±ã¨å?? (zouka to uso)"
    • ã?ªã?©ã?¤ã?¾ (Liraizo) - "人形å?? (Ningyougeki)"
    • Does It Escape Again - "closer"
    • Galileo Galilei - "ä¿¡ã?て (Shinjite)"
    • LEGO BIG MORL - "STRIKE A BELL"
    • Nature Living - "From This Day"
    • NoisyCell - "Dream Box"
    • Sailing Before The Wind - "Iolite"
    • THE BOHEMIANS - "male bee, on a sunny day. well well well well!"
    • ã?·ã?¥ã?ªã?¹ã??ã?¤ã?­ã?? (Syurispeiloff) - "å¤?のå?¬å?? (yoru no koen)"
    • ã??ã??ã?ªã?¨ (Hitorie) - "ã??ã?¼ã?­ã?¼ã??ã?³ã?¹ (Talkie Dance)"
    • Mouse on the Keys - "the lonely crowd"
    • N.Y&BICYCLES - "Jaguar"
    • PELICAN FANCLUB - "Dali"
    • toe - "My Little Wish"
    • å??å??みなみ (Minami Kitasono) - "å¤?é?§ (yuugiri)"
    • 水中å?³é?? (Suichuzukan) - "ã?·ã?¼ã?³ (scene)"
    • é?¨ã®ã??ã?¬ã?¼ã?? (Ame no Parade) - "new place"
    • Aimer - "LAST STARDUST"
    • BILLIE IDLE - "5th season"
    • CJ Li - "Lights Go Out"
    • Caro kissa - "ã?µã??ã?¼ã?µã??ã?¼ (summer summer)"
    • Charisma.com - "ã??ã??ã??ã??(Yareyo.)"
    • GACKT - "Claymore (DJ Koo Remix)"
    • å??ç?°ä¾?æ?ª (Koda Kumi) - "Ex Tape"
    • TOWA TEI - "LUV PANDEMIC"
    • 東京ã?«ã?©ã?³ã?³ã?­ã?³ (Tokyo Karankoron) - "ã?¹ã??ã?¤ã?¹ (Spice)"
    • whiteeeen - "Pocket"
    • 印象派 (Inshouha) - "綺éº? (Kirei)"
    • 岸谷é¦? (Kaori Kishitani) - "DREAM"
    • æ»´è?ç?±å®? (Yumi Shizukusa) - "Run Away"

Best New Tracks: July 2015

July was a big month for Japanese music and the Official Reviewers (ORZ) have been extra busy sifting through the plethora of releases, all in order to recommend you the best new tracks! Feel free to comment or discuss any of this month's picks and even offer your own as well! :3

Visual Kei

"Fatal Error Race" by D.I.D.

albumartist

Over a year ago, D.I.D. announced the release of their track, “Fatal Error Race”. Shortly after the announcement, they went on hiatus and cancelled the release, then another few months later, they announced their comeback and reinstated the release of “Fatal Error Race”. One year later, D.I.D. FINALLY release the track and make their incredible comeback! The song composition is very fresh, while maintaining the style of instrumentation that we all have come to expect and love from D.I.D., epic electronica-drenched metalcore with a wide range of vocals (both clean and harsh).

- @Seimeisen

"愁いリビドー (Urei libido)" by DADAROMA

albumartist

Nestled on DADAROMA's latest single between a song that manages to splice metalcore with balladry, and another song packed with so much punk jet fuel that it about blasts itself into outerspace, sits "Urei libido". It seems that heavy swing is now officially filtering its way back into visual rock with some extra vigor and these guys are doing it serious justice. The band are well on their way to figuring out how to genre jump without losing their core sound in the process. Break out the 'dancing' shoes, and get your two-step ready for this one.

-

"Everlasting Flavor" by Diawolf

albumartist

In a very interesting side project from Alice Nine's members Shou and Tora, we have a straight up dubstep song. While the whole EP of "Rebellion" is decently electronic in nature, Everlasting Flavor is the only one that is 100% electronic. The heavy use of vocal distortion makes it almost not even sound like Shou, which could be a blessing or a curse depending on the amount of love you have for him.

- @ShanethVarosa

"この世で一番美しい薔薇よ (Konoyo de Ichiban Utsukushii Bara Yo)" by Kamijo

albumartist

While this song may not have been the overall focus of Kamijo's revival best album, it certainly was a magnificent addition to the track list. Camille's voice is extremely expressive in this number and only becomes more emotional as the song reaches its apex.

- @ShanethVarosa

"The Screaming Pain" by Lament.

albumartist

Lament. first came to my attention thanks to my friend, @WhirlingBlack, whose username may be familiar to fans of the band. Visual Kei usually isn't my wheelhouse, so I won't attempt to generalize, but compared to the bands I usually come across, whom often emphasize pop-hooks in stark contrast to chuggariffic verses, Lament. is a bit refreshing. Their songwriting has more personality than formula, and in instances like "The Screaming Pain", it can actually be quite amorphous too. This song is easily the most headbangable track on their latest single, "The Unvarnished Truth", but it's done well enough to avoid being written off as 'rawr'-fodder.

- @CAT5

"鳥籠トロイメライ (torikago träumerei)" by My Fairytale

albumartist

Light as a feather, the track begins with twinkling piano, compounded shortly after with an eruption of ethereal, twangy guitarwork and vibrant basslines. Kudos to drummer Neo for this compositional beauty; he seems to do a lot of the heavy lifting in the band’s songwriting! Music aside, one of the best parts of the track (and the band, let’s be real) is vocalist Kate. I’ve probably overstated my preference on MH for clear, higher-pitched male vocals, but let it be known that Kate has quickly become a new favorite! In fact, with his voice and the soft, evocative music, I’d even argue that 'torikago träumerei" is an exemplary piece of modern “white kei.” Now, I just need a washed out, misty PV on a bright white backdrop and we’ll be all set.

- @fitear1590

"アオイヤミ (Aoi Yami)" by Purple Stone

albumartist

This band is certainly one to keep your eye on lately. Their output has been consistently good and surprisingly polished for such a young band. "Aoi Yami" is a fun mid-tempo track with strong sing-a-long vocal melodies over a familiar enough arrangement of 'heavy' verse/melodic chorus formula staples - plus some twinkly DIV-esque qualities thrown in. The song's many elements keep it varied enough in its composition that it never loses steam for the entire four and a half minutes!

-

"砉 (Keiki)" by コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon)

albumartist

コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon) is a band that’s comparable to Royz, in that they have a similar electronic-infused sound, but are a great alternative for listeners who want something heavier. Their song, 砉 (Keiki), which roughly means “the sound of peeling flesh from bone”, might be their heaviest track, and using it as the first track of their latest album, 下剋上。(Gekokujou), was certainly a bold move, as there is no other song on the album that’s like it. This song may not be the best representation of their sound; there are no clean vocals or any electronic infusions, just a straight-up metalcore rampage.

- @Seimeisen

"造花と嘘 (zouka to uso)" by ユナイト (UNiTE.)

albumartist

UNiTE.'s 4th album UNiVERSE delivers a patchwork of different sounds and after looping it this past week, I can safely say that "zouka to uso" has risen to the top as the most memorable. What makes this track even more special is the fact that it's composed by Sana, the band's new drummer. He took the new album as an opportunity to show off more of his songwriting, penning about a third of the album! This track recalls the mellow, but emotional atmosphere of past UNiTE. tracks like "青と白のコトバ (ao to shiro no kotoba)" and "ハートレス クラシックメモリー (heartless classic memory)". Because I adore those songs, it should not come as a surprise that "zouka to uso" is now my favorite Sana track.

- @fitear1590

"人形劇 (Ningyougeki)" by リライゾ (Liraizo)

albumartist

Liraizo have been a pleasant surprise for me since their formation. I was never keen on the members' previous bands, but the current lineup seems to gel together nicely. This tune plays on some of my favorite sounds from the mid-2000s visual rock heyday, which I'm happy to say seems to be a reoccurring theme lately. If you've been looking for a darker band that doesn't utilize a lot of harsh vocals or thrive on the new ~core trend, this may be exactly what the doctor ordered.

-

Rock / Metal / Punk

"closer" by Does It Escape Again

albumartist

The day they released the music video for this song, the band pulled a fast one and gave out this single for free download. It was time limited, of course, for only 3 days. Who does that?! Does It Escape Again has a heavy-hitting sound that's based in post-hardcore, but is also surprisingly clever about borrowing from other genres during the quieter moments. It's a refreshing brief reprieve just before they come back in for some sick breakdowns. I have to agree with Alternative Press Japan, this is definitely a band you need to know this year.

-

"信じて (Shinjite)" by Galileo Galilei

albumartist

My first thought while listening to this B-side is how the song captures the flowery image and essence of the single's cover. Galileo Galilei has always been a favourite in my books for creating some of the most delightful melodies and mixing male and female vocals beautifully. While that strength hasn't been used anywhere in this track, the magic is still there. At first, the song may sound like a standard rock tune you could hear anywhere, but the chorus gives it that needed edge to be something more. It's climactic, emotional, and delivered gorgeously. This is one single where, for me, a B-side has shined incredibly brighter than the title track itself.

- @beni

"STRIKE A BELL" by LEGO BIG MORL

albumartist

'STRIKE A BELL' manages to be simple yet effective in the best way. The build up throughout the song is steady, only peaking slightly during the chorus until the last segment hits at the end. The chorus itself is a clamber of instruments featured throughout the song in different areas; Kanata's singing is haunting and sometimes angelic thanks to the echo-y vocals at the end of the chorus sections. This song manages to have two sounds: firstly, sounding like a mysterious and haunting number and then turning into a danceable disco tune. It certainly makes for a lasting impression.

- @beni

"From This Day" by Nature Living

albumartist

Emotional rockers Nature Living return from their 5 year long hiatus with a surprisingly chill album. "From This Day" is probably the most uptempo of the entire batch. The band has left most of their previous post-hardcore influence behind and opted for a piano-driven melody in this track. It results in an updated sound that brings them into a more mainstream bracket. However, it's done in a way that builds off of Nature Living's emocore signatures instead of forgetting them completely.

-

"Dream Box" by NoisyCell

albumartist

I know I pushed this song in my review of their album already, which I highly recommend if you're into the 'post-screamo' arena, but I'm still over the moon with it. What sets NoisyCell apart from the pack is how they douse their brand of aggressive music with a large helping of pop sensibilities. It makes for an nice juxtaposition that embodies the push of chaotic, squealing guitar riffs and the pull of a sugary-sweet vocal. It's a distinct hybrid sound that I've yet to hear any proper rivals for.

-

"Iolite" by Sailing Before The Wind

albumartist

It's nice to see this band back at it again, even if it's down to only one official member. Bitoku seems content hiring a rotating lineup while he continues to write all the music himself. This is the first new song released in 3 years, give or take. And while I'm not completely sold on the vocalist, the music is the same emotive, djent-ridden, melodic metalcore I've come to love from SBTW. "Iolite" is also a good balancing act between melody and aggression in a genre that can sometimes get stuck in a contest of who goes the hardest. (Not to mention, it's extremely affordable at SBTW's bandcamp page!)

-

"male bee, on a sunny day. well well well well!" by THE BOHEMIANS

albumartist

THE BOHEMIANS are a band that I've been casually following for a few years, but this track has me more excited about them than I've been for a while! First of all, that title, am I right? The song itself is soaked in a 60s aesthetic with in-your-face garage rock energy. Pulsing keyboard organ forms the backbone of the song and frontman Hirata Panda delivers his signature charismatic delivery. All around, "male bee" is just a rockin' good time--that chorus is infectious! Hopefully, THE BOHEMIANS can finally get a little more overseas notoriety.

- @fitear1590

"夜の公園 (yoru no koen)" by シュリスペイロフ (Syurispeiloff)

albumartist

'salaryman-core' and 'salaryman-kei' are terms I jokingly coined to describe your ordinary Japanese rock, made by ordinary Japanese folks - you know, stuff like ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION and The Pillows. Syurispeiloff definitely fit the bill and they take on this fictional genre quite well. They're a low-key, but very tight band that prioritizes feelings and aesthetics over flashy instrumentation and showmanship. Their latest album "sono shuuhen" is more or less business as usual, but "yoru no koen", with its Mission: Impossible-ish riffs, proves that even bland can be spicy sometimes.

- @CAT5

"トーキーダンス (Talkie Dance)" by ヒトリエ (Hitorie)

albumartist

Vocaloid is something that I've long admired from a musical standpoint, but could never get into because of the, well, vocaloid part. Thankfully Hitorie exists now. They're an actual band (of humans) formed by vocaloid producer Wowaka, and they do an amazing job of realizing his vocaloid imagination. "Talkie Dance", from their latest mini album, is a perfect example of this sound coming to fruition. The song is full of infectious and colorful riffs, Wowaka's vocals are robotic, yet vivacious, and the energy rivals that of a ling tosite song!

- @CAT5

Indie / Alt.

"the lonely crowd" by Mouse on the Keys

albumartist

It can be tricky to make epic-sounding instrumental music without being cheesy. When Mouse on the Keys released the PV for "leviathan", it had all of the makings of an epic track, but it got a bit too self indulgent and lost steam in its progressiveness. "the lonely crowd" gets it right, though. It starts off strong and then simmers into an upwards curve, constantly rising in intensity. The piano work is relatively simple, but the band's trademark, aggressive percussion and the addition of a wailing saxophone take this track over the top.

- @CAT5

"Jaguar" by N.Y&BICYCLES

albumartist

As awkward as this sentence sounds, I have to thank @herpes for putting me on to this band via plug.dj. They seem to be pretty obscure, which may or may not be due to their name, as it seems they were previously referred to as just N.Y&BICYCLE (without the 's'), and ニューヨークと自転車 as well. Thankfully, it seems like they've officially settled on 'N.Y&BICYCLES', though their name is probably still a nightmare for last.fm users. :P But more important than tags, their music is super pleasant. They play funk-infused indie-rock with soulful, raspy vocals - perfect for bright summer afternoons.

- @CAT5

"Dali" by PELICAN FANCLUB

albumartist

Mushroom-haired j-indie lives on! PELICAN FANCLUB's (spectacular name, btw) new track can be divided into two parts: rhythmic verses and blissful choruses. The chirpy guitar chords and chant-like vocals that characterize the opening of "Dali" explode into a barrage of jangly riffs and euphoric falsettos during the chorus. While this band is a random new discovery for me, I must say I'm looking forward to their self-titled mini-album in August.

- @fitear1590

"My Little Wish" by toe

albumartist

Toe's highly anticipated 3rd album "HEAR YOU" is probably best appreciated as a whole. It's an album so cohesive and consistent that it's difficult to highlight one track above another, but "My Little Wish" stands out for one reason - Kashikura's drumming. His performance is noticeably subdued for most of the album, but he cuts loose here, bringing this track the closest to capturing that vintage toe goodness we've come to love!

- @CAT5

"夕霧 (yuugiri)" by 北園みなみ (Minami Kitasono)

albumartist

Kitasono is a label mate and collaborator of the band Lamp. With his keen ear for drama, he creates one-of-kind, effervescent compositions. I'm not even sure how to categorize his creations: jazz, pop, easy listening, melodic crust enka? None of these quite describe his approach to music, from its fluttery band/orchestral arrangements to the unpredictable, yet catchy melodies. He's like the Lamp's quirky younger cousin and I'm so jealous that he's only in his 20s. Whatever he's doing, I'm into it.

- @fitear1590

"シーン (scene)" by 水中図鑑 (Suichuzukan)

albumartist

Suichuzukan is an up-and-coming indie band that plays an experimental brand of shoegaze. They released their first full album, "198X" this month, and while they might not be the next J-indie 'it' band, the release is still a promising start. "scene" is a mostly instrumental track with a post-rockish build, and it's one of the most riveting moments of the album. A definite hint that this band is capable of writing some moving material. Even running at just a bit over 5 minutes, it still feels too short!

- @CAT5

"new place" by 雨のパレード (Ame no Parade)

albumartist

Ame no Parade's new mini album "new place" has seen them step their game up considerably from the snoozefest that was "sense". The EP isn't perfect, but for the most part they've tightened up and smoothed out their edges. The title track is their most potent song to date. It's atmospheric pop-rock tempered by indie aesthetics. Ame no Parade has finally learned how to take familiar sounds and make them fresh and effective. Now if only they could do that for an entire album!

- @CAT5

Pop / Idol / R&B / Hip-Hop

"LAST STARDUST" by Aimer

albumartist

I'm convinced that epic pop-rock is Aimer's reigning forte and no contemporary Jpop artist does it better at the moment. Her new album "DAWN" has a few in this style, and while my partner @beni prefers the song "Brave Shine", my standout of choice is "LAST STARDUST". Both songs are fantastic examples, though I'd award the stronger refrain to "LAST STARDUST". The production features your perfectly typical ensemble of piano, distorted guitars, and orchestral strings, but Aimer's voice makes all the difference. Her breathy timbre is instantly recognizable, and there's some actual depth and strength behind her emotiveness. If grandiose Jpop songs is your thing, then look no further than Aimer.

- @CAT5

"5th season" by BILLIE IDLE

albumartist

The other new 'idol' unit comprised of BiS members, BILLIE IDLE manages to compete against BiSH's neat album released just a bit before them. Certainly, the 'NON-IDOL' jackets aren't fooling anyone, since BILLIE IDLE are very much the silly idols you'd expect coming from anything BiS related. The music doesn't leave much to be desired for any idol listener. '5th season' is the slow track of the album, and one which highlights how harmonic their voices can be. When the girls have their own lines, it's extremely sweet how different they sound from one another. And when they sing together in the chorus, it sounds more like a choir then anything. '5th season' doesn't jump out at you anywhere, but it takes you on a soothing journey. It's the perfect track to fall asleep to and expect sweet dreams from.

- @beni

"Lights Go Out" by CJ Li

albumartist

Seeing as CJ Li isn't major, it would be surprising if you listened to this song and thought otherwise. At a measly twenty four listeners on Last.fm, this young acoustic angel could pass as a popular artist if she wanted to. Particularly the song 'Lights Go Out,' which could easily be played as a Dorama song or an opening/ending song to a TV show. It's sung entirely in English, and very well at that even, with encouraging yet bittersweet lyrics and soaring, gentle vocals. If you're as much of an acoustic fan as myself, then check out her YouTube channel with various covers from musicians!

- @beni

"サマーサマー (summer summer)" by Caro kissa

albumartist

If you live in a cold-winter city like me, then you know to cherish your summers. Part of that means jamming out to beachy summer tunes. My pick for this month is Caro kissa's aptly-named new song. With some absolutely funky bass and subtle, airy synth flourishes, there's actually a lot of layers to this sunny track. Download the full "One summer day" single for free on Bandcamp!

- @fitear1590

"やれよ。(Yareyo.)" by Charisma.com

albumartist

While the new album wasn't all many of us hoped it would be, the opening track "Yareyo." set the hype levels to eleven. It effectively set the bar so high that the rest of the album had trouble keeping up. I still heartily encourage you to give this club banger a spin, in any case. The mix of heavy bass and electric guitars riffing along in the background, plus a nice sprinkling of zippy electronic effects, all help to build a soundscape as dynamic as it is addictive.

-

"Claymore (DJ Koo Remix)" by GACKT

albumartist

Arguably the best song on GACKT's remix album, it takes a song that was already good and makes it great. The man is such a vocal powerhouse, but his recent musical endeavors have not necessarily shown what he's capable of. The original Claymore features a lot of intricate guitars and other hard-rock staples and it can border on generic. This version is a well-produced EDM track with a strong beat and an even stronger synth melody that sets the right mood for the lyrics of the song while also giving you something to dance to.

- @ShanethVarosa

"Ex Tape" by 倖田來未 (Koda Kumi)

albumartist

Kumi is the master of summer jams. Every year about this time she drops at least one song that is total fire. Arguably speaking, the last couple of years have had some of her best work, but she exceeds her own history in her new song "Ex Tape" which features a catchy hook, incredible beat, and a cute music video with interesting choreography.

- @ShanethVarosa

"LUV PANDEMIC" by TOWA TEI

albumartist

I admit, I haven't followed TOWA TEI in anything musically since his days in Deee-Lite. Some fellow monochromians got me curious when they mentioned this album's release, so I made sure to check it out. And I regret nothing! It's a fantastic electronic pop collection that is so infectious you'll find yourself singing along almost immediately. This track's "pan-pan-pan-pandemic" chorus is a stunning example. The song also features a plethora of quality collaborators, in typical TOWA TEI fashion. It's a slick summer jam you'll get a lot of replay mileage out of.

-

"スパイス (Spice)" by 東京カランコロン (Tokyo Karankoron)

albumartist

Discovered during my watch of the anime Shokugeki no Soma!, 'Spice' is a wonderfully fitting ending song to the series. Not only does it match the visuals to a T (chibi characters and food everywhere, what more could you ask for?), 'Spice' becomes more of a treat once you bite into it more. The familiarity and warmth it sends across is rewarding for the ears after all the appetizers to the eyes - if you're watching the anime that is. The singing is the cherry on top above the addictive, repetitious guitar riffs. Additionally, the little extra trinklets of violin, piano and synths here and there give this that bonus 'spice' factor.

- @beni

"Pocket" by whiteeeen

albumartist

whiteeeen is the young female J-pop unit equivalent to GReeeeN (I like to think). You see the uncanny similarity already, right? whiteeeen are produced by rap group GReeeeN, and the four teens even did a cover of GReeeeN's song 'Ai Uta' as their first single. They also keep their identities hidden, instead being portrayed as anime characters like さよならポニーテール (Sayonara Ponytail). Their debut single was already BNT material, but I decided to sit tight and wait to see if their own, original single could be just as good, and I wasn't disappointed. 'Pocket' is an easy-going and feel good listen. The vocals a smooth as silk and just a pleasure to listen to. It's got the charm and the cuteness to carry the girls to yet another number one.

- @beni

PV

"綺麗 (Kirei)" by 印象派 (Inshouha)

albumartist

There is something deliciously charming about the music these girls make, and I can't quite put my finger on it. They don't really follow any of the major trends in Jpop and their singing is inoffensive, but other than that, there's nothing that outstanding about them. Their music just manages to hit all of the right spots. "Kirei" is the latest single from their upcoming album and it doesn't fail to please. It's catchy, groovy, and down-right wonderful. Their new album is sure to be a winner.

- @CAT5

"DREAM" by 岸谷香 (Kaori Kishitani)

albumartist

Kishitani-san is the definition of mama/cougar power. At forty-eight, she proves you can still be a pop princess. All joking aside, this rocking pop track proves that age really is just a number. While the roughness in her tone is very clear throughout due to her age, it makes for a breath of fresh air to see the older generation getting in and keeping up with the modern sound. 'DREAM' really does sound like a single from, say, Nishino Kana, and while you may have to excuse the madam for her fashion sense, the PV itself is quite comical in places. It's also important to bring up that Kishitani was a member of Princess Princess, a rock/pop band active from 1983 to 1996. Still keeping it real, girl!

- @beni

PV

"Run Away" by 滴草由実 (Yumi Shizukusa)

albumartist

I'm just going to ignore the fact that the main riff in this song was BLATANTLY STOLEN FROM AN OLD USHER SONG. The Japanese are usually adept at taking established genres and putting a new spin on them, but R&B has never been their strong suit in that regard. When they're not openly plagarizing beats from American artists, their output is often cheesy to the point that it seems caricatured. This song off of Yumi Shizukusa's latest album "Blue", is a surprisingly jammin' piece of 'urban pop', though. It's not original by any means, but it's a step in the right direction, even if a bit dated. Extra points for the time-signature change near the end!

- @CAT5

See you next month! :3

There was alot of great tracks that came out this month and I think a majority of the ones that appealed to me were already listed.

@Seimeisen I felt like D.I.D. kept its same composure coming back from their hiatus and I'm glad that much didn't change after that, since their sound is pretty amazing. I thought both songs were amazing on that release but the LONG AWAITED "Fatal Error race" was the better half.

For Dadaroma I like how they keep the songs balanced between metal core to jazzy to a mixture because for them I think it gives their fans a lot of different techniques to look forward too even if a majority of people like their harder stuff better. I think I would have to say the best part of that single for me was "kusatta mikan no houteishiki" I really liked it, but all together loved the whole single.

I think Diawolf's house/EDM music game is strong I could so see my brother playing that even though he doesn't listen to too much japanese music, but since he loves that genre I'm sure he would play that out. 

@ender-ender PURPLESTONE!!!!!!! THOUGH that single was amazing I love how they keep it consistent with great releases I think for me this was their best yet. Glad that made it on the list.

@ShanethVarosa I always love the arrangements of Kamijo's songs I feel like they compliment his voice very well and always look forward to his releases so his newest best were something I looked forward to hearing. Being that I love ballads this song was one of the best on the release for me too.

OK so I noticed aimer and have to leave VK for a bit but YESSSSS @CAT5 AImer is like one of my favorites now. i feel like everything she puts out is pretty amazing Last Stardust being my favorite on the album ( I don't think it's because I already heard the "Fate Stay Night" relases already but that could be true, even though I don't think it is). But Last Stardust had me on re-play it is SOOOO GOOD. i love her voice, it really grew on me. I even loved the melancholy "Dareka、Umi wo。" glad she made it on the list. 

Unite. and Codomo Dragon both released splendid albums there wasn't anything I had to think about twice if I liked it or not but I think my favorites were Codomo Dragon - Kireigoto and Unite. - ---Kiritorisen--- ( I think this was my favorite because it also caught me by suprise).

I guess after is a list of what I also liked:

Scandal - Stamp ( pretty catchy track)

Spyair - Fire starter (they always sound pretty amazing to me)

SuG - teenAge dream (I'm a pretty big SuG fan. That's not why they made it on the list for me though the song is just really well made IMO)

Ganglion - Save your heart (actually I think this is the first whole song I've heard from them. Thought it was really good)

Born - foxy foxy ( I think they do ballads pretty well. This was my favorite on the mini)

Thanks for the post. Love hearing what everyone else thought was great.

For Dadaroma I like how they keep the songs balanced between metal core to jazzy to a mixture because for them I think it gives their fans a lot of different techniques to look forward too even if a majority of people like their harder stuff better. I think I would have to say the best part of that single for me was "kusatta mikan no houteishiki" I really liked it, but all together loved the whole single.

@ender-ender PURPLESTONE!!!!!!! THOUGH that single was amazing I love how they keep it consistent with great releases I think for me this was their best yet. Glad that made it on the list.

I'm a big fan of how DADAROMA are trying to be that all-around band that does a little bit of everything. A lot of bands try that but they are really weak in certain areas. But these guys are getting better and better at it! I was torn between "urei libido" and "kusatta...". The entire single is great.

Purple Stone are really blowing me away. Hope they keep it up!

Nice picks! I like the Ganglion song a lot too. :3

I found the D.I.D., Diawolf, Lament., mouse on the keys, toe tracks all particularly enjoyable. Some of the other VK ones sounded promising before descending into really generic territory, such as the UNiTE. and My Fairytale tracks. On the whole, though, a decent list.

Thank you for the reviews everybody :)

My vote was to: Aimer

@@Seimeisen

Fatal Error Race was a great song for sure, when I get both songs I played it for more than 3 hours in a row.

W.O.D II and FER complete each other when playing together, this become another positive point.

@@CAT5 & @beni:

Aimer has a stunning and strong voice, I got to listen to the full album, and my favorite is still 誰か、海を。, but from the two you both mentioned is LAST STARDUST, also both MOON RIVER are cool too.

@

About DADAROMA, hmm, I prefer 腐ったミカンの方程式, but nothing I can say, "wow, amazing".

I always think that Yoshiatsu could bring back his Crazy Shampoo style and stop this ""heavy"" with DADAROMA.

My list ↓

tumblr_ns9do3BbWe1rwpswso1_250.jpgtumblr_nsbtehCOph1rwpswso1_500.jpg

BORN – オルテナ :_10/10_:

This song is perfect for my ears, the way Ryoga sings as always, is amazing together with the others.

No more words, only much love♡

BORN – 坩堝 :_8/10_:

A song that is like something you can found easily on some old album from the band like VIGOUR. Than around 1,33 min I kind remember of an old Transformers PS2 game loading, that was kind nostalgic.

BORN – foxy foxy :_9.5/10_:

A perfect ballad from BORN, I was missing this type of song from them. In some moments, remind me about ProudiA and Sakura.

The piano, the guitars, with Ryoga's is so beautiful.

Should be because of this, that foxy foxy get 1st place on oricon.

http://twitter.com/oricon_indies/status/623690959369297920/photo/1

tumblr_ns9twrJXlZ1rwpswso1_250.jpgtumblr_nsbtehCOph1rwpswso2_500.jpg

Moran – 幸福についての尺度 :_10/10_:

A song with the pure essence of Moran, with Hitomi's outstanding voice, the band was able to make a "magic goodbye song" on their last single, that's is wonderful.

To be honesty, I cried when listening to it at first.

tumblr_ns9cgxPUjW1rwpswso1_250.jpgtumblr_nsbtehCOph1rwpswso3_500.jpg

SEKAI NO OWARI – ANTI HERO :_7.5/10_:

After some releases, SNOW have get back in action for me, this time with ANTI HERO, a song pretty different in instrumental elements and a darker atmosphere from Dragon Night and 炎と森のカーニバル.

I think they tried this new atmosphere and lyrics in full engrish for Attack on Titan movie, but they should continue with this because the have quality for it.

Thank you for the reviews everybody :)

@

About DADAROMA, hmm, I prefer 腐ったミカンの方程式, but nothing I can say, "wow, amazing".

I always think that Yoshiatsu could bring back his Crazy Shampoo style and stop this ""heavy"" with DADAROMA.

It's funny because I think we like opposite sides from DADAROMA. Yoshiatsu is my least favorite part of their sound, but he's not that bad, really. He reminds me a lot of Mao from SID in his singing. I have never listened to Crazy Shampoo so I can't say if he's better or worse now. I want them to be heavier, though. They are one of the few vk bands incorporating metalcore truly into their sound and not just using it for a lame breakdown here and there. 

I don't enjoy BORN too much since they joined with PSC, but if I definitely agree with the SEKAI NO OWARI recommendation, and that they should write more dark material like this. It's a good song!

It's funny because I think we like opposite sides from DADAROMA. Yoshiatsu is my least favorite part of their sound, but he's not that bad, really. He reminds me a lot of Mao from SID in his singing. I have never listened to Crazy Shampoo so I can't say if he's better or worse now. I want them to be heavier, though. They are one of the few vk bands incorporating metalcore truly into their sound and not just using it for a lame breakdown here and there. 

I don't enjoy BORN too much since they joined with PSC, but if I definitely agree with the SEKAI NO OWARI recommendation, and that they should write more dark material like this. It's a good song!

I'm suspect to talk about BORN songs xD

Lol, at least we agree with SEKAI \o/

Here are some Crazy Shampoo on youtube,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Owf_2eg-VCc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X2o0nAZtmB8

I would recommend singles for: the place in which I'm now, LOVE SONG, GAME and Regulation.

Hey, everyone has different ears. That's why we like to get everyone's opinions! :3

What I'm gathering in these samples is you just don't like him doing heavier style music in general? Because he's singing more clean there, but the music also isn't as heavy as DADAROMA so to me it sounds like he's doing what the music would call for to keep a specific kind of energy. But I can definitely understand when you get used to someone doing a style you like and then they change, it's not always something that suits your tastes. Goodness knows I've seen a lot of that being in the fandoms that I am. XD

The only two July releases I've listened to entirely are Fatal Error Race and Aoi Yami and I like them both. Good picks. 

I kinda like W.O.D.II a little better than Fatal Error Race but the two compliment each other well as yakihiko said.

Dadaroma's Ame no Waltz is also pretty good, but I haven't heard the whole single. I still prefer Crazy Shampoo, though.

I'm also kinda digging that Codomo Dragon song. If the rest of their music had a similar sound I'd totally to buy that album.

A real shame that SuG's "teenAge dream" wasn't mentioned seeing as the song itself marks SuG's (eventual) return to form (BLACK already showcased it but I am expecting more obvious signs) - as for anything else vk-related, don't count my commentaries in  :lolita_lol: (I am not really in touch with the scene, except for a few acts).

As for the "non-VK" department, I was actually pleased with Fitz' choices (no no no, don't blame me for favoritism lol) and really intending to give them a chance once I get over my nostalgia ventures :) I'll keep that new Toe in my mind as well...

Ps. new SEKAI NO OWARI ain't half-bad either - very odd tie-in choice though!

@@CAT5: We cannot call Yumi's song "blatant stealing" if the said riff happens to be sampled from Usher's track (god knows how much they modified the said snippet - it's 2k15 fhs). Someone has to up single sleeves so we could see those credits :)

Thumbs up to for TOWA TEI, btw!

There was so much cool stuff this month. I have to say I really enjoyed the Lament. and Pelican Fanclub (I get some aweseome Vampire Weekend vibes from them!!) as far as totally new to me finds. There really wasn't anything this month I disliked, tbh. So listing everything I enjoyed would be, well... everything! haha. 

Nice job, everyone. <3

@Seimeisen - that codomo dragon song is nice!

@doombox - This Liraizo song is pretty great. I still need to try that TOWA TEI album, but it sounds promising. Purple Stone sounds nice too and I can see the DIV comparison. Really like the music for Does It Escape Again, but the vocal style isn't quite my thing.

@fitear1590 - this UNiTE. song sounds like a J-indie-pop/rock song with vk vocals, ahaha. PELICAN FANCLUB reminds me of western indie, which is cool. Seems to be more and more Japanese bands getting into this kind of sound lately. Minami Kitasono sounds great too. Very retro, but also very animated and imaginative.

@beni - Galileo Galilei song is pretty good, nice pick! I didn't like that 東京カランコロン song when I first heard it, and I kinda hate that they've basically become an all-around time jpop band, but after hearing it so many times watching 'shokugeki no soma', it's difficult not to like. Shame they didn't keep that as the ED...that oomori seiko track is irredeemable tho :lol:

@@CAT5: We cannot call Yumi's song "blatant stealing" if the said riff happens to be sampled from Usher's track (god knows how much they modified the said snippet - it's 2k15 fhs). Someone has to up single sleeves so we could see those credits :)

Whether it's a sample or simply replayed (sounds like it could be), the riff is basically played in the same manner and used in the same way for both songs, with no real attempt to alter or enhance it. Granted, the rest of the song is different enough that's it doesn't really matter. As for toe, it's good and a bit different for them, but I'd sooner recommend their first two albums.

That SuG song is a great choice. Saw it too late to include it.

It is.... I think teenAge dream is really good. But, you know sometimes it's hard to remember every song you think is great in a month. So NP atleast I know you liked it too ^_^

^ I WAS GOING TO DO FOXY FOXY! X'D Maybe next time. And lol, if I see that SEKAI NO OWARI song one more time..!

Simply the best man~

And again I think Born does really well, at least for me with their ballads. To me they usually make them pretty amazing 

^ I WAS GOING TO DO FOXY FOXY! X'D Maybe next time. And lol, if I see that SEKAI NO OWARI song one more time..!

Simply the best man~

I thought you were doing foxy foxy too xD is the more "calm" on the mini, just like when you did with MBHI :)

That song from SEKAI is pretty amazing lol "one more time"? XD

Don't know why I did all of this, but here's my quick, unfiltered thoughts on all of the tracks:

Green = mhmm

Yellow = hmmm

Orange = uhhhhh

Red = uuuugh

VK

D.I.D. - "Fatal Error Race"

Alright track but pretty forgetable. Except for those growls...they were bad.

DADAROMA - "愁いリビドー (Urei libido)"

This song would be soooo much better if they found a real horn player instead of that synth crap. I actually dig this, which is surprising since most jazzy VK is pretty crappy. Vocals leave something to be desired in spots. Breakdowns felt really interesting mixed in with a jazz track. Probably would love this song if it werent for the crappy ass synth brass.

Diawolf - "Everlasting Flavor"

Nope nope nope. I couldn't finish it. Just plain bad dubstep imo.

Kamijo - "この世で一番美しい薔薇よ (Konoyo de Ichiban Utsukushii Bara Yo)"

Synth violins, my -favorite-. Nothing makes a track like this feel cheesier than feeling like it was recorded off of a casio in someone's basement. Kamijo's vocals are nice if you are in to that, but I can't see anything else redeeming here.

Lament. - "The Screaming Pain"

Lament is one of the few bands doing VK right currently imo. This keeps that thought alive. Not super into the vocalist's growling vocals, but I still dig the track. The heavier bits reminds me of lynch, which is not a bad thing.

My Fairytale - "鳥籠トロイメライ (torikago träumerei)"

Solid track, but I struggle to sing it's praises. Not a big fan of the vocalist's higher pitched tone though. Not a track I would intentionally spin, but if it came up on shuffle I would let it play.

Purple Stone - "アオイヤミ (Aoi Yami)"

Feel pretty standard, but I liked it. Nothing else to say. Kind of reminded me of Girugamesh.

コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon) - "砉 (Keiki)"

Heavy but kind of generic. Some of the riffs feel pretty stale. No large sins though. I like the spoken word mixed with screaming sections.

ユナイト (UNiTE.) - "造花と嘘 (zouka to uso)"

Enjoyed listening to it, but I've already forgotten it.

リライゾ (Liraizo) - "人形劇 (Ningyougeki)"

Have the mid 00's VK feel, but still feels kinda flat. Instruments are pretty solid but aren't doing anything super interesting. Vocals leave something to be desired though.

Rock / Metal / Punk

Does It Escape Again - "closer"

Felt great in some parts but messy in others. One the fence on this song.

Galileo Galilei - "信じて (Shinjite)"

Galileo Galilei has always produced great tracks when I am in the mood for a lighter rock. While not going to be other their with my favorites of theirs, enjoyable none-the-less.

LEGO BIG MORL - "STRIKE A BELL"

Nothing bad here per-say, but there really isn't anything here that hooks me. I could see someone digging this, but that someone isn't me.

Nature Living - "From This Day"

Vocals kill this one for more. Instrumentally nice but nope.

NoisyCell - "Dream Box"

Not sure if the mix of styles in this song works for me at all points, but this song certainly has some highlight moments.

Sailing Before The Wind - "Iolite"

Those vocals seems so damn forced. No thanks. Ruins the entire song.

THE BOHEMIANS - "male bee, on a sunny day. well well well well!"

Solid but not for me.

シュリスペイロフ (Syurispeiloff) - "夜の公園 (yoru no koen)"

Don't feel like writing anything about this one.

ヒトリエ (Hitorie) - "トーキーダンス (Talkie Dance)"

Really interesting and unique sound. Digging the bass and kind of on the fence on the organ, but overall I think this is pretty tight.

Indie / Alt.

Mouse on the Keys - "the lonely crowd"

This is ace.

N.Y&BICYCLES - "Jaguar"

pretty decent. I'm getting lazy.

PELICAN FANCLUB - "Dali"

laaaazy

toe - "My Little Wish"

I have been so busy that I haven't even bought toe's new album yet. wtf is wrong with me? Why am I reviewing all these songs? Who fucking knows. toe is the shit though.

北園みなみ (Minami Kitasono) - "夕霧 (yuugiri)"

I can see the appeal, but feels a bit too dated for me.

水中図鑑 (Suichuzukan) - "シーン (scene)"

Perhaps in the context of the album I would like this one more. As it is, it takes nearly half way through the track for me to start enjoying it.

雨のパレード (Ame no Parade) - "new place"

Pop / Idol / R&B / Hip-Hop

Aimer - "LAST STARDUST"

Shockingly good. Melody felt a little bland, but other than that, great. Her vocals make it.

BILLIE IDLE - "5th season"

CJ Li - "Lights Go Out"

boooooring.

Caro kissa - "サマーサマー (summer summer)"

Dat funky ass bass.

Charisma.com - "やれよ。(Yareyo.)"

The appeal of this duo is lost on me.

GACKT - "Claymore (DJ Koo Remix)"

倖田來未 (Koda Kumi) - "Ex Tape"

I can't stand Koda Kumi. This is no different.

TOWA TEI - "LUV PANDEMIC"

What?

東京カランコロン (Tokyo Karankoron) - "スパイス (Spice)"

That synth gives me cancer. If it weren't for that, I would probably like this track.

whiteeeen - "Pocket"

Wouldn't load for me.

印象派 (Inshouha) - "綺麗 (Kirei)

Fun and forgettable 

岸谷香 (Kaori Kishitani) - "DREAM"

Wouldn't load for me.

滴草由実 (Yumi Shizukusa) - "Run Away"

Wow. You really checked out a lot! O_O Thanks for the feedback. I lost you on some of the electronic picks, but glad to see I managed to get so many into the yellow zone haha. You and CAT5 definitely seem to have fairly aligned taste from the looks of it. :)