Purlpi

J-music Albums You Need To Hear Before You Die

Kerrang! posted a list a month before in which you can find 50 albums that you need to hear before you die. To any curious people out there, the list is here.

So, what J-music Albums do you think people really need to hear before they die?

Maybe we can make a list of 50 albums haha.

--

As for me, the first one I thought was [coll:set] from D'espairsRay. I'm not sure about the other ones that I thought, but [coll:set] is definitely one that people must listen to.

Dir en grey - GAUZE

MERRY - NOnsenSe MARkeT

Plastic Tree - ネガとポジ

I also think an album from THE NOVEMBERS (and possibly 凛として時雨) would belong in this list.

Girugamesh self-titled album

Not 13's reborn? >.>

13's reborn was also a great album, but seeing this post originally coming from Kerrang, I would recommend something sounding Western-ish especially anything Girugamesh released in 2007.

Personally, I like both of them, and I doubt any future releases of theirs can give the same level of the excitement I had when 13's reborn and the self-titled albums were released.

Let's begin the long list : P

9goats black out - TANATOS
9goats black out - Karte (single)
D'espairsRay - SEXUAL BEAST (single)
D'espairsray - BORN (mini-album)
DEZERT - Tokusei noumiso zetsurin suupu ~-sei kuriimu shitate~
Dir en grey - GAUZE [2]
Dir en grey - Macabre
Dir en grey -Uroboros
Girugamesh - Reason of Crying (mini-album)
GULLET - Hide and Sick (single)
GULLET - hidden baby (single)
LAMA - NEW!
lynch. - greedy dead souls
lynch. - THE AVOIDED SUN
MUCC - Zekuu
the GazettE - DIM
Rentrer en Soi - The bottom of chaos
school food punishment - school food is good food
school food punishment - air feel, color swim
school food punishment - Riff-rain
Screw - Nanairo no Reienka (mini-album)
sukekiyo - Immortalis
Sukippara ni sake - Boku no Chi

I know this is a long list, but I truly believe these are all albums that must be listened to before passing on.
Each one of these albums/releases left a big impression on me the first time I listened through. 
I feel different now about certain releases than I did before, but that initial impact hasn't changed and I can't see myself without these albums.

i didn't think i'd want to put coll:set BUUUUUUT looking at my library, its honestly classic--more so than gazette or dir en grey. so +3 on that,  if theres one metal derivative that is a must listen--its that.

1.) D'espairsRay - [coll:set]

2.) emmurée - Love Letter-dark mania+-

3.) MALICE MIZER - Merveilles

kinda random, but out of my whole library these are essential stand-alone works.

HONORABLE MENTIONS GO OUT TO:

amber gris - pomander
cocklobin - iris
deadman - in the direction of sunrise and night light
DIR EN GREY - Gauze
蜉蝣 - 黒旗
MALICE MIZER - 薔薇の聖堂
merry go round - merry go round is dead (yeah its a best of, shut up)
Moran - jen:ga
RENTRER EN SOI - THE BOTTOM OF CHAOS
Sugar - Sweetest
9GOATS BLACK OUT - Thanatos (honestly 4th place)

GLAY - Hai to Diamond

ETA:

DEAD END - ZERO

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - Cult Grass Stars (or Gear Blues, depending on the day, although I'd pick TMGE 106 if compilations counted...)

ELLEGARDEN - Don't Trust Anyone But Us

THE BACK HORN - Headphone Children

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Tierra

Perfume - GAME

The Birthday - NIGHT ON FOOL

the telephones - We Love Telephones!!!

Kuroyume - feminism

Seconding these:

DIR EN GREY - GAUZE
9GOATS BLACK OUT - TANATOS

Malice Mizer - Merveilles

school food punishment - Riff-rain

Adding these (avec brief explanations):

Kuroyume - Mayoeru Yuritachi ~Romance of Scarlet~

I really, really, REALLY regret dismissing this album for years. Dynamic, technical finesse of strong bass and elegant guitar riffs, not to mention the soulful, emotive vocal contribution by courtesy of Kiyoharu gives this album its unique, very influential "visual depression"-kind of mood. A definite must-check release in case vk history is up your alley :)

LUNA SEA - MOTHER

I think Zess has summed it up well at some point: no fillers, no need to change the order - everything's up to excellent listening standards, and this should be enough to please the both sides of Luna Sea Fandom...and visual/non-visual fans too.

La'cryma Christi - Dwellers of a Sandcastle

What might look like a short mini at first glance packs a wide palette of prog, artsy rock and old vk frills, not to mention the beauty and sui generis attributes of band's playing + melodic approach. No wonder that these guys were used to be on par with Malice Mizer's Gackt-era as "vk miracles" back in Japan circa late 90s.

Ringo Shiina - Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana

The truest definition of Japanese avant-gardeistic approach in the vein of early pioneers a la Kate Bush and alike. Oh, and the soundscape is TOTALLY MASSIVE AND BEAUTIFUL.

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Tierra

By having a varying vista of exotic wonders, lush and pure nostalgia (a la 80s for instance), Laruku managed to push out one of their most memorable, and STRONGEST "vk" albums to date. One of a kind release in the vk history, defo.

Ling Tosite Sigure - Inspiration is DEAD

Fittingly varied, but very powerful package holds up emotive, shaking frailty and exploding, riffing sonicbooms that are enough to make you feel quite amused in one way or another. TK's vocals might not be your cup of tea, but the kudos-worthy performance is something you should look up to. :)

Cornelius - Fantasma

Highly varied, but to the point where "experimental mishmash" doesn't feel abrasive at all but...chilling, something worth focusing into?

Pizzicato Five - HAPPY END OF THE WORLD

Short, nicely nostalgic gem packs a lot of genius sampling, creativity and primarily SEXY elegance of the good ol' Shibuya kei movement.

...let's call it a day here, too tired to contribute lol.

No DEAD END, Jigs? Explain thyself! I thought you were a massive fan!

Alice Nine? Explain thyself!

Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas? What is this garbage, kill thyself! Explain thyself!

Would replace that larping seal album with their debut: Dune, and the the GazettE album with DIM. And X Japan album has to be Blue Blood.

Also it has too much emphasis on visual rock, could do with some more Elephant Kashimashi, Jun Togawa (or YAPOOS) or Flower Travellin' Band and that sort of stuff. And don't forget the whole shibuya-kei scene either! Throw a couple of albums in there!

Expecting a major revamp now Jigs, don't disappoint! :lleft:

It's impossible to make a list like this without feeling you've left someone important out, but today my list would look like this (only one release per band):

Sigh - Hail Horror Hail

Kagrra - San

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori

Sabbat - Sabbat

Boris - Akuma no Uta

Pyg - Pyg! Original First Album

Utada Hikaru - Ultra Blue

Framtid - Framtid

Kinoco Hotel - Marianne No Jubaku

Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor

S.O.B. - What's the Truth?

Denki Groove - A

Kiko Yano - Japanese Girl

Acid Mothers Temple & The Cosmic Inferno - Ominous from the Cosmic Inferno

Meiko Kaji - Golden Star Twin Deluxe

Tomorrow the list would be slightly different.

Thought that list looked fairly good, but the lack of Sabbat, G.I.S.M., X Japan, Disclose, The Stalin and general punk is quite disturbing. I also think both Feedbacker and Live At Roadburn 2008 is weird-as-fuck choices.

But other than that it looks surprisingly good IMO.

Thought that list looked fairly good, but the lack of Sabbat, G.I.S.M., X Japan, Disclose, The Stalin and general punk is quite disturbing. I also think both Feedbacker and Live At Roadburn 2008 is weird-as-fuck choices.

But other than that it looks surprisingly good IMO.

Regarding Stalin I could say that there is no clear consensus on "the essential/best Stalin album"  (voices divided between their debut album, STOP JAP (considered as "overrated") and Mushi). I am really puzzled about CoM choice too.

Speaking of which, they skimmed over

and
for some reason (highly respected albums there too btw) but they might have been too "experimental" to lump into genres anyway.

Yeah, you've got a point but The Stalin is essential, not only for Japanese music and punk, but for punk in general. Should've been there for sure IMO.

I think this is a great topic, so I'm gonna bump it back up.

My tastes have been changing over the years, but my core must listen to albums have remained consistently the same over time.  Just a list, no explanation (listen to the music for yourself ;) ) and only full albums.

Top Ten list:

10. L'arc en Ciel - Tierra

9. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape

8. Malice Mizer - Merveilles

7. X-Japan - Vanishing Vision

6. Gilles de Rais - Satsui

5. Flower Travellin' Band - Satori

4. Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor

3. Zazen Boys - Zazen Boys IV

2. Luna Sea - Mother

1. Dead End - Ghost of Romance

Of course this all only my opinion. 

Edit: honourable mentions go to the bands LOUDNESS, D'erlanger, Kuroyume, DIE IN CRIES, and Guniw Tools.

Laruku's album Tierra was only recently brought to my attention. I can't stop listening to it.

Edited by Atreides