beni

#46: 赤西仁 (Jin Akanishi) - Me

Any opinions on something a bit different?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a successful attempt at doing westernized J-pop?

• Success!
    • Some tracks do it, others not so much.
    • There's better attempts out there.
    • Fail!

Me
Artist: 赤西仁
Album: Me
1. Let Me Talk To U 7. Christmas Morning (2015 Mix Ver.)
2. Good Time 8. Dayum
3. Miss California 9. Mi Amor
4. We The Party 10. What Happened
5. Baby 11. [bonus Track] Go Gitt'er
6. Lionheart 12. [bonus Track] Mi Amor (Spanish Ver.)

Rating: :_8/10_: | Westernized Japanese? Doing it right!

Jin Akanishi is one of the lead vocalists of popular boy band KAT-TUN as well as a solo artist. Last month, Akanishi released his third studio album, and the majority of it is how Namie Amuro’s latest attempts at creating a Western sound should have sounded like.

The album’s Western feel comes from its many dance floor sounds, from the feel good single ‘Good Time’ to the mighty track ‘Dayum.’ The album starts off strongly with these hard hitting dance/club numbers. With ‘Good Time,’ Akanishi noted that he "wrote this song with the image of summer,” and while this certainly comes across with its upbeat presentation (both in sound and PV), the repeated hand-claps and the EDM induced chorus give it more of a dance floor feel. It’s a nice follow-up after the opening PV song, ‘Let Me Talk To U.’ This has a soul feel with a rhythmic build, featuring acoustic guitar during the bridges and a heightened chorus with a dash of folky elements in it. I didn't know where this was going as it started with a baby giggling/speaking, but Akanishi’s whispery vocals kick in straight away and keep this an engaging listen. Visually, it’s a gorgeous contrast of monochrome imagery against colourful flowers which goes wonderfully with the change from quiet verses into the louder chorus.

With the third song titled ‘Miss California,’ I was expecting this to sound extremely Western. I wasn’t wrong. Its rapping section as the bridge, albeit a small part, is both very well done and well placed. The highlight in this one is its chorus, with a rather cowboy like sound to it thanks to the whistles and the Latin-flavored instruments that tend to pop up now and again. The song is surprisingly bearable for one which sounds like it’s created for Ke$ha. What’s more, the song is sung entirely in English. Doing it right, Akanishi! ‘We The Party’ doesn’t let up with the American vibe – most noticeably with its grammatically wrong name, and more English to further highlight this Western sound. A tambourine features in this one, as well as taps and clicks of the finger. This is the best song to showcase how precise Akanishi is with his English, especially during the rapping. Autotune is also involved within this one, and it may sound like a lot to digest as a whole but it actually works surprisingly well and flows the best out of the dance-y tracks.

Akanishi

‘Dayum’ very much gets a "D-AYUM" from me. At track eight, this one can be grouped with the above dance numbers, thanks to its energetic and dance-encouraging sound. It’s another song that features a tambourine, and it’s highlighted gorgeously with its quick, repeated shakes during the chorus. There's a lot going on here, but the song has a certain charm with its unstructured sound. Little jingles and strums of guitar with the sound of clapping going off here and there spice up the track until that tambourine comes in to emphasise the chorus amongst it all. Everything mashes together into a flawless number, making this my favourite out of the four dance numbers.

With a neat batch of previous dance tunes, ‘Baby’ is the first slow song on the album. While the previous two have demonstrated Akanishi’s ability to rap, this ballad highlights his smooth tone, very fitting to such a genre of music. While ‘Baby’ isn’t the best ballad song – with literally nothing being noteworthy about it - Akanishi’s vocals really make up for it. It’s your typical Japanese ballad. The following song is how ‘Baby’ should have sounded like. ‘Lionheart’ features the gentle vocals Akanishi exhibited previously, alongside a tribal-like drum instrument and soaring choir vocals gives it an African vibe. It’s a massive upgrade which leaves ‘Baby’ in the dust.

Never have I listened to a supposed Christmas song which didn’t sound at all Christmassy. Apart from the English lyrics, ‘Christmas Morning (2015 Mix Ver.)’ is a needlessly dramatic track which starts with guitars, similar to the foreign sounds from ‘Lionheart,’ but that’s quickly lost. This is the first track I wouldn’t mind not seeing in the tracklist. At track nine comes the PV song ‘Mi Amor,’ which got me hooked to Akanishi. This one is a dash of David Guetta meets MIYAVI – let me explain before anyone throws their guitar at me – alongside Enrique Iglesias, the latter being a key factor throughout this. The opening has some neat guitar work that instantly grabs your attention, because it’s done with the skill and swiftness of MIYAVI. Even the PV will make you question who the guy playing guitar is. The Spanish element now smacks you right in the face with the final track being a Spanish version of this song. ‘Mi Amor’ has it all; a thrilling beat break, catchy guitar work, and splendid vocals in both versions.

Seeing as ‘Mi Amor’ is the standout track on the album, whatever follows has to be at least four and a half stars. Unfortunately, the last couple tracks really pull this whole package down. It would have been near perfect without ‘What Happened’ and ‘Go Gitt’er.’ What DID happen, Akanishi? The first of the two start of promising, with nice little taps of a high pitched keyboard. I was enjoying his vocals until he started rapping, and it wasn't in the same way he had done before. Akanashi sounds like an amateur trying to freestyle to the beat. The mix of a boy band sounding bridge against a slow ballad rap doesn’t blend together at all. It doesn’t help how his rapping in this one sounds completely different than his singing. I usually like contrast, but here it’s unbearable. The first bonus track (the other one being 'Mi Amor (Spanish Ver.)) ‘Go Gitt’er’ fails harder than ‘What Happened.’ The last track shows how Akanishi’s attempt at the Western sound could’ve gone down if most of 'Me' sounded like this one. It’s best to avoid this song unless you can somehow dig a Japanese version of Chris Brown. It’s a “No Gitt’er" from me.

Akanishi excels in staying loyal to Japan with the majority of the album being in Japanese, while also being extremely apt for the American audience of this day. The couple of songs which are completely English really do capture that Western vibe Akanishi was going for, and props to him for achieving that! All in all, the start and middle of the album are extremely strong, while the last part is a miserable flop. Hopefully the last couple of songs can be forgotten because the beats, the vocals and the instruments are all really Western sounding as a whole, while genuinely being enjoyable most of the time. Just goes to show Johnny’s do have a gem in the rough!

Support the artist!

CDJapan

US iTunes

Japanese Amazon

"Mi Amor" is extremely well done, especially for mainstream Japanese pop. That song alone is more compelling than any of the EDM stuff on Namie's latest album. I also agree that the ghost-guitarist in the video brings to mind Miyavi!

Also seconding your thoughts on "Dayum". It's a cool track but also pretty amusing in that I'd more readily associate that sound with America or Korea. The production on it reminds of Timbaland for some reason.

When did sound jpop japanese?

I don't think you can say something sounds more like the west..

]sometimes jpop is just a bit more crazy but.. still for me the only difference is that japanse pop is sung in Japanese.. just no more differences.

I think the MV's are a bit more Japanese. But crazyness also happens inside western pop.

Checked out "Mi Amor" and the sample for "Let Me Talk To U" and wow... way better than I was thinking it'd be. I agree that it has a very western-influenced sound. It's really good. I may just have to buy this haha. Thanks for the review!

When did sound jpop japanese?

I don't think you can say something sounds more like the west..

]sometimes jpop is just a bit more crazy but.. still for me the only difference is that japanse pop is sung in Japanese.. just no more differences.

I think the MV's are a bit more Japanese. But crazyness also happens inside western pop.

I'd argue that there are some distinct differences between Jpop and, say, American pop. Granted, it's all pop music at the end of the day, so I can definitely see where you're coming from.

I think what beni was referring to with this particular release was the use of musical trends (like EDM) that have been much more prevalent in America's mainstream than in Japan. That's not to say that EDM is strictly a western thing, but simply that it's not as widespread in Japanese pop. The same could be said for the whole trap craze which has burgeoned from a local/esoteric rap scene into something that's heard regularly in American mainstream pop. While there are Japanese hip hop artists that have taken on the trap sound, it's still something that hasn't caught on in the Japanese mainstream. Major acts like Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasaki, and even capsule are just now capitalizing on the EDM craze which is already old hat in America.

I think what beni was referring to with this particular release was the use of musical trends (like EDM) that have been much more prevalent in America's mainstream than in Japan. That's not to say that EDM is strictly a western thing, but simply that it's not as widespread in Japanese pop. The same could be said for the whole trap craze which has burgeoned from a local/esoteric rap scene into something that's heard regularly in American mainstream pop. While there are Japanese hip hop artists that have taken on the trap sound, it's still something that hasn't caught on in the Japanese mainstream. Major acts like Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasaki, and even capsule are just now capitalizing on the EDM craze which is already old hat in America.

Then you simply can say that Japan now finally is going with worldwide trend.

But pop is pop and as so long there aren't any national instruments/ENKA parts inside it's worldwide style of pop.

Also the more DANCE vipe feeling. I guess you call it EDM? It's not coming from America.  EDM is born in Europe. Mostly in the Netherlands.

Then you simply can say that Japan now finally is going with worldwide trend.

But pop is pop and as so long there aren't any national instruments/ENKA parts inside it's worldwide style of pop.

Also the more DANCE vipe feeling. I guess you call it EDM? It's not coming from America.  EDM is born in Europe. Mostly in the Netherlands.

A trend being popular in the west doesn't necessarily equate to being "worldwide".

And where did I say EDM originated in America? If we're speaking strictly about the music, then "Electronic dance music" is a pretty broad, umbrella term that could refer to a variety of different styles. But if we're talking about EDM in reference to the American Mainstream, then yeah, the term itself was coined by the American media/industry, and is often used to describe a more narrow field of sounds.

Thanks for the comments, and I'm glad people are enjoying it.

@DarkWater, the mainstream music of this day that can be heard on TV sounds extremely like Akanishi's album, and that's where I drew similarites. I could mistake him as an up-and-coming artist in America, and that's what I've tried to say. @CAT5 pretty much summed up what I was thinking in better words then I could ever. 

A trend being popular in the west doesn't necessarily equate to being "worldwide".

And where did I say EDM originated in America? If we're speaking strictly about the music, then "Electronic dance music" is a pretty broad, umbrella term that could refer to a variety of different styles. But if we're talking about EDM in reference to the American Mainstream, then yeah, the term itself was coined by the American media/industry, and is often used to describe a more narrow field of sounds.

Because you called it American Mainstream (^.-)

But EDM is everywhere.

: Beni

I could mistake him as an up-and-coming artist in America, and that's what I've tried to say.

Isn't that finally a good thing? then finally he can lose his J-pop TAG and get the normal "POP" Tag. 

Also to go to the more EDM sound will make him maybe an international artist... and not just a Japanese pop singer... but then he still need to switch fully to English. Otherwise his music won't be accepted fully worldwide. Or he has to come with such song Psy made.

That's the point, he made it sound good, apart from the last couple of songs but let's forget that. The majority of the album is done really well, not just the ones that have him singing English, but yes, I agree he may need to sing in English to get further. However, PSY was successful singing Korean, was he not? The ones where Akanishi sings Japanese are even more appropriate sounding for over here, it doesn't have to be English. I'd like to see him keep it as is, personally, with a mix of Japanese and Western influence, so as he's mainly done in this. I wanted to review this because if he wants to be 'international' as you say, then he's going in the right direction. 

Psy actually did got attention because of the "dance moves and the funny video" in gangnam style.  Not really because people thought its an amazing song. The dance moves where way more in the news around the world.

So maybe Jin should create a fancy dance? plus a catchy sound and a nice video to watch, which get people attention?

At least he should do that, if he really want the BIG attention. only EDM sound isn't enough if he is not working with the BIG DJ names.