Sign in to follow this  
Pretsy

Gackt lashes out at Cool Japan: “Almost no results of Japanese culture exported overseas”

Thought someone would find this worth noting:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/07/03/gackt-lashes-out-at-cool-japan-almost-no-results-of-japanese-culture-exported-overseas/

While visiting friends who were a part of the recent Naruto stage production, Japanese film and music star Gackt was left with a bad feeling. Having watched one of the overseas Naruto performances, the singer couldn’t help but notice the lack of people in the audience.

Gackt doesn’t rule out possible flaws with the play such as too much material crammed into a short time. However, as he wrote in a recent impassioned blog post, he thinks the real culprit may be the Japanese government and their Cool Japan promotional program, which he feels is anything but.

“I wonder if anyone in Japan actually understands what Cool Japan does?”

Cool Japan was an initiative set forward by Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI). Its purpose was to promote Japan’s “creative industries” to foreign countries. To many, including Gackt, this would mean products such as music, film, manga, and anime to name a few. Yet the performer feels that the Cool Japan budget is being sent somewhere else.

“The Japanese government made a new attempt at this in the name of Cool Japan, but while they have set up a huge budget for it, they have no idea where that money should go. It’s no exaggeration to say it has fallen into a downward spiral of wasted tax money flowing into little known companies.

Let’s assume that it is the right move for the money to go into these obscure companies. There still have been almost no tangible results of Japanese culture being exported into foreign countries. I can’t help but accuse METI of having no idea how to use this huge budget properly.

Mentioning how South Korean artists and projects get strong backing by their government, Gackt turned his sights on Japan’s own efforts to support its creative works.

“With Byung-hun Lee cast as the villain in the new Terminator movie, we can see how the South Korean government is continuing to firmly push their culture.

Meanwhile, what actors are representing Japan around the world? Ken Watanabe has been active overseas after the hit Last Samurai, but the sad fact is that it was a private production without any support from the government whatsoever.

And since Ken, no world-class Japanese actor has appeared.”

Earlier in the blog post as well, Gackt accuses the Japanese government’s lack of support of causing the country to fall behind its Asian neighbors in terms of cultural exports. He later begins to wind up the post on a somber note.

“But the Cool Japan budget is still floating in the air. Who the hell is this budget for? I wonder if anyone living in Japan actually understands what Cool Japan does. I wonder what Cool Japan does. How many people can clearly answer that question?

It’s sad.

Desolate feelings well up when I think about how my country is not keeping pace with the government/private sector cooperation of other developed nations. Can anyone fix this? Our next generation will not grow in this way.”

Ruh-roh.

The first thing I notice is how similar Gackt's complaints about the program are to our "justification" of piracy. They are on two different levels of importance, but it gives a lot of weight to the arguments of westerners who claim bands / companies don't make their goods easily available internationally. I would also trust his word more than most people's because he's done everything from movies to plays to music. He's been around Jollywood a couple of times so he knows a thing or two about the business. It's as if he's saying it without really saying it.

Also, I've never heard of this program yet the government seems to be pushing it heavily? That's already another strike.

Haha cute. Dear Gackt, Japan is not playing Civilization 5 and aiming for a cultural victory.

And nobody cares about some stupid anime stage adaption. In what universe did they think it would attract an audience? Number one rule for any kind of adaption is that the source material is workable. Now look at that piece of shit called Naruto.

let's not listen to the opinions of a rapist

Moderator Message:

Please refrain from making any off-topic remarks about Gackt's character if it does not directly relate to Cool Japan or Gackt's comments about Cool Japan.

The only thing I know about "Cool Japan" was that they had some raffle thing last year where they were giving away a ton of vacations to Japan... which was subsequently cancelled. Whoops :v

cool thanks for ur thoughts satan...now the real cool japan money maker will be a gackt-era malice mizer reunion so stop complaining lil gakuto and DO IT!!!  save cool japan! spread the love of visual kei overseas!!

but srsly a naruto stage production? whos dumb enough to have thought of that? i hate naruto but would any actual naruto fan wanna see that???

Might as well post a sneak-peek on Cool Japan's usual committees (you MIGHT see a few familiar faces there, e.g. that azn dude from "Heroes") - Gackt might be a bit too much but he has his points there:

http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/27269/Cool+Japan+Strategy+Committee.html

...It has been one heck of a mess straight from the beginning lol :D

Also: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/07/09/general/can-metis-%C2%A550-billion-fund-unfreeze-cool-japan/#.VZxNJ_ntlBc (evil signs from the past, boohoo!)

Sign in to follow this