BrenGun

[suggestion] New music catogory (TAG).

I know this idea is MAYBE very very useless.

But since more and more people are SHARING their TAPE rips, it might be an idea to have a "Tape catogory"?

Now they are kinda tagged as "DEMO" even if the songs are actually no "DEMO's". and than "DEMO CD" will be not mixed with "TAPES" anymore.

Or are tapes always been seen as "demo tape"?

And maybe also Tag for video's?

PV

LIVE

Comment

Other

I'm not gonna say anything about the demo tag, since I never upload or download tapes.

But I think that tags for the video section would be great, but then we have a slight problem: how to tag eg. extra DVDs that usually come with the single's limited edition, as they might have both live material and a PV?

maybe more tag's such as

how to tag eg. extra DVDs that usually come with the single's limited edition, as they might have both live material and a PV?

maybe another tag called;

PV/LIVE

PV/OFFSHOT

PV+more

But singels are mostly only focused on PV.

A DVD tag would be great too. I know it could be live DVD or documentary DVD but still, an overall tag for DVD would be nice (aside from PV, I mean).

edit: eeeeeh the categories are showing up now (for the dl section) on the main page. it's great, we should have the same for the video sections' content.

I know this idea is MAYBE very very useless.

But since more and more people are SHARING their TAPE rips, it might be an idea to have a "Tape catogory"?

Now they are kinda tagged as "DEMO" even if the songs are actually no "DEMO's". and than "DEMO CD" will be not mixed with "TAPES" anymore.

Or are tapes always been seen as "demo tape"?

We have always lumped these together because not enough people ripped tapes to make it worth the new tag. If more people are now sharing demo tapes we can make a new tag for this.

But I think that tags for the video section would be great, but then we have a slight problem: how to tag eg. extra DVDs that usually come with the single's limited edition, as they might have both live material and a PV?

Good point! I will need to think on this too.

We have always lumped these together because not enough people ripped tapes to make it worth the new tag. If more people are now sharing demo tapes we can make a new tag for this.

Yeah I thought that..

but since nowdays more and more people are sharing tapes, so maybe it's time to separate them?

So maybe when you are doing the next MH maintenance?

I have already created the new tag. The fastest way to tag all the old demo tape topics with the new tag is to either report it so one of the mods can take care of it, or contact the original poster to change it. There's a way where we can get a lot of them at once but it is not possible to get all of them.

haha so fast, you are great ZESS.

If ya want I also can help out with tagging. Just give me some fancy mod power and I will help out. :P well if help is needed/ appreciated.

haha so fast, you are great ZESS.

If ya want I also can help out with tagging. Just give me some fancy mod power and I will help out. :P well if help is needed/ appreciated.

Just start reporting the shit out of those threads, that will make it a lot easier for us! :D I've been tagging tons of news threads today, so why not continue with tagging the lossless section!

Just for your info, the "Demo" tag was always supposed to be shorthand for "Demotape". If you go to Grassthread for example and pick any random 90s band (like here) you will see that absolutely EVERY release on cassette tape is labeled デモテープ, which means... "demo tape".

If we are now going to replace all "demo" tags with a "tape" tag, do we really need that tag anymore?

I don't think japanese bands are overthinking the matter nearly as much as you do.

Pretty much all tapes we are talking about here are from 90s bands. These bands didn't release tapes because CDs didn't exist (they did since the 80s), but because back then it was just cheaper and easier for a band to record a tape. So in the beginning of their career vk bands would often start with a few tapes as demonstration, and when they met with some success, they would venture into making CDs. As such, pretty much every tape could be considered a "demo". At least I have never seen a band say "Okay, we released a few demo tapes, and now we are going to release our first "real" tape!"

After some discussion among staff we thus decided that if we are going to have a new "tape" tag, EVERYTHING originally released on tape should be tagged as such. Trying to make a distinction between a "tape" and a "demo tape" just seems like splitting hairs, especially if bands use the terms interchangeably anyway.

As for the old "demo" tag... we will probably rename it to "Demo CD" to avoid confusion. But it's a really vague tag. There aren't really any inherent criteria that signify that a CD is a "Demo CD" other than the band calling it such. And apparently you can call pretty much everything a "demo CD", whether it's some unlabeled CD-R given away at lives or pretty much a standard single sold at shops. As such I consider that tag to be rather useless and I myself would prefer it if people used single/live dist/whatever else applies instead.

Its not only the reason why they choosed tape over CD.

Don't forget that many people didn't had a CD player yet...japan never was a country of getting the new highteck stuff, even if many was discovered and made in Japan. Nowdays many people don't have a laptop or PC... I know a few who only use there phone for internet...

Anyway back to topic

"Demo tape" "demo CD"

Since the tag was used for demo cd too, it was getting confusing.

You actually could have renamed demo into tape, and kinda retagged those "demo CD"'s.

But its still splitting hairs...