Sign in to follow this  
Tetora

BAROQUE - PLANETARY SECRET

SFCD-155.jpg?v=1

Is it the same Baroque that many fans have came to love?

Not exactly, it`s a turn in another direction, it isn`t the same line-up, it isn`t the same sound, and it would not fit in with their early discography.

Okay, they changed, but will I still be able to enjoy it; are they still `good`?

They have definitely dialed in and delivered what they were going for, but let`s be honest, there may be little or no correlation between their early work and this. The interest will not rely on being a long-time fan so much as it will rely on you simply also being able to enjoy their new sound. From a technical standpoint, the vocals and guitar are at a higher level than their early work, though again, the style is different.

So what`s the new sound?

It`s atmospheric, it`s wide, it`s meditative at times, `uplifting` at other times, and tightly tied together. The guitar and vocals are the center-piece, and they really play well together, like brothers. At first the other instruments may seem just like a backing band, but everything they do eventually began to hold more value for me. If you wanted to compare them to someone, you could loosely compare some of their sounds to bands such as U2, and certain tracks by The Who, amongst others who stemmed from that, but with their own, more modern, take on those sounds. The production is also very nice, the sound is spread out, every detail is nailed down, and it is a pleasure to listen to how each instrument is covered.

So do they come off as a copy of other, already established sounds? 

That`s going to come down to your own opinion, but I definitely feel as if they have done enough to establish themselves as having their own complete spin on these sounds. But I think, obviously, some people will not be getting enough of what they call Baroque on this album.

Okay, okay, it sounds pretty mellow, can I still rock to it?

It isn`t as rocking as other things they have done, though, while I definitely gravitate to a more intense rock sound, this album can hold my attention. The first tracks come off with lighter guitar, but I eventually get a refreshed feeling as SWALLOW THE NIGHT hits a harder guitar part, and the album picks up a little more. There`s also a nice solo in the final track, MEMENTO.

So are these the stand-out tracks?

Yes, SWALLOW THE NIGHT, MEMENTO, and PLANETARY LIGHT are my personal favorites.

Alright, so please sum up your thoughts on the album as a whole.

It`s very well done, the vocal effects are not overdone, though some may have preferred a clean feel. They play amazingly together, they have refined a new sound in a very short amount of time, and the album contains a great amount of variety, while staying unified, and giving off a tight, concept-album feel.

However, it is bound to have a hit-and-or-miss reaction with many fans, new as well as old. The band has changed a lot, and not everyone is going to like the sound. I personally, as a long-time fan, also enjoy this sound, and can go back to their older tracks whenever I want to revisit those days. This is not my usual style of music, however I grew to like it, and appreciate each track more with each listen.

It`s an atmospheric album that isn`t limited to certain moods or listening hours for me, and retains strong guitar elements that enable me to really keep listening over and over again.

Track Count: 9 

Listens: 20

Production Quality:  :5.0:

Overall Rating:  :4.0:

Worth the Purchase?

It`s not going to be something instantly worth buying for all Baroque fans. The best thing to do is to listen to the preview, and see if you enjoy what you hear from it, and know that the songs themselves offer more than just what the preview holds. Personally, the preview didn`t do justice to the album for me.

If you enjoy the sound, or feel like you could get into it, I definitely recommend it.

Hey Tetora, nice review!

People should see this as a natural step from kannivalism's 'helios' and even more as a refined, atmospheric evolution of kei's solo effort 'silk tree'. BAROQUE always evolved, always changed in sound/concept. baroque from 'sukebe boy' is not the same as baroque from 'SUG LIFE', as it's not the same of 'non-fiction' or 'PLANETARY SECRET'. 

The problem here is expectation. If it was labeled as a kannivalism release, it wouldn't receive half of the flak it did. That being said, this may not be an easy listen for the average VK fan. This is as far away as we can get from VK, and I'm glad they choose this route, as I find this album an exceptional, cohesive piece of music.

I believe it was made to be listened in one go, as each song compliments each other. There's a whole sense of grandeur, of greatness through the whole album, that makes you understand why they went with this album's name. It starts with a sweet melody in 'PURIFY' (they did the same on the releases mentioned above) that paves the way to 'PLANETARY LIGHT' and 'DREAMSCAPE', two highlights of this album. However, it really peaks when 'SWALLOW THE NIGHT and 'SILENT PICTURE' starts, halfway through the album. both are rocky, guitar-focused songs that takes you back to kei's classic style of composition.

The "overused" auto-tune may turn some listeners away, but I assure you, don't let that youtube preview turn you away before giving it a listen. It has a purpose, it FITS the experience they wanted you to have. I do agree that some tracks would sound better with a little less tho ('CELEBRATE' falls into this category).

In the end, this is a really great album that should not be missed because of one's misconception of how a band should evolve. Everyone has a right to turn away from a sound they don't like, but as they named their tour, If you "open your world and see the light" of BAROQUE, you may enjoy the ride.

Sign in to follow this