CAT5

Recommended Tracks: May 2015

MH's Best New Tracks: May 2015   

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the quantity of this month's recommendations?

• The more the merrier! I love checking out new stuff!
    • There's a lot to read, but it's worth it.
    • I don't mind it, but I can't check everything out in one sitting.
    • It's a bit overwhelming

Best New Tracks: May 2015

Best New Tracks is a new series brought to you by MH's Official Reviewers (ORZ)! Every month we'll be recommending brand-new Japanese songs from the recently passed month, so stay tuned! Feel free to comment or discuss any of this month's picks and even offer your own as well!

May was a busy month! We've got tons of recommendations this time around, so sit back, relax, and dig in! :3

Visual Kei

"午前二時 (Gozen Ni-ji)" by AvelCain

albumartist

AvelCain cast a love spell on us all with their new mini album. This standout song does a wonderful job of reminding listeners that you don't need breakdowns and harsh vocals to be heavy (not that either are unwelcome), and the song also presents a perfected incorporation of symphonic elements that have been recently absent in Visual Kei's embrace with electronica. The song has somewhat fast verses you'll find yourself headbanging to (or dancing? or fist pumping? I dunno), and a slower, symphonic chorus where you'll be standing still and embracing the beauty. Best of all, this song is a perfect showcase of how much the remnants of early Lycaon have worn off and how well this band has come into their own.

- @Seimeisen

"ひどいかお2 (hidoi kao 2)" by Chanty

albumartist

With an impressive full-length album now under their belts, these VK lads pack a punch with their energetic yet solid release. Only a couple of tracks have them dipping their toes into Oshare Kei water, with certain tunes sounding so "genki" (happy), the band could easily pass as being an Oshare Kei band themselves, this being one of those songs. The effects over the vocals gives them a rougher sound in contrast to the hyperactive chorus which kicks in with lyrical repetition in a similar way Serial⇔NUMBER does.

- @beni

"キャリー (Carry)" by Develop One's Faculties

albumartist

While the entire single is worth mentioning, I chose to recommend this song to showcase a different side to Develop One's Faculties that many of us haven't seen from their previews thus far. This song rocks along throwing in everything but the kitchen sink, so to speak. "キャリー" especially focuses on some interesting percussion with wood blocks and cowbell, even beatboxing, yet they don't forfeit their trademark fast fretwork on guitars. The band really does everything to show what they are made of. And this release only pushes my expectations higher still for what is yet to come from them.

-

"包丁の正しい使い方~思想編~ (houchou no tadashii tsukaikata~shuusokuhen~)" by DEZERT

albumartist

Thank goodness DEZERT released a collection of songs about the proper way to use kitchen knives. My cooking has improved dramatically and I no longer get nicked on the side of my thumb! I suppose it was also cool that they made a collection album of all of their live distributed material and a previously unreleased bonus track. This song here has the right mix of heavy and bleak DEZERT that I know and love, plus a catchy chorus to boot. Be sure to check out "Gossip" as well.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

"Pairidaēza lost" by IX -NINE-

albumartist

I had originally heard of members of IX through their previous band EATHERLY when I picked up their demo cd in a Tokyo cd shop which I proceeded to forget about. I will definitely say this new band is not going to be easily forgotten. I've seen many comparisons to sukekiyo, which I hate but have to agree with as I can definitely hear some similarities between the two. Thankfully IX lacks the pterodactyl screeches Kyo's become so good at. While "Pairidaēza lost" wasn't my favorite off the two-track EP, it's definitely what caught my attention drew me in. Everything flows together so perfectly, from the electronics to the ethereal vocals and sweeps you off into another almost dream-like world that I personally don't want to wake up from. These guys are offering their EP on soundcloud FOR FREE so give them a shot because they are totally worth it. ----> http://soundcloud.com/ix-nine-official

- @fictioninhope

"The Beginning" by Royz

albumartist

Having only heard a bit of their discography pre-Core, I never expected to become a big fan of this band. To me, over the course of the last year, it's become apparent that they know what they're doing. They've found a sound that works for them and they will continue to churn out songs with mainstream appeal. Might not be the most beloved sort of sound in the indie scene, but Royz brings the energy with this single.

- @ShanethVarosa

"Voyage" by Sadie

albumartist

Whether or not they come back from their hiatus, this song is what I've missed from them for a number of years. There was actual thought into the composition and release of this song and it leaves fans with the appropriate note of cautious optimism. Why they couldn't have just done good work the last few album cycles is beyond me, because we all know they're capable of it, but if this hiatus means they will come back with their individuality then I support it.

- @ShanethVarosa

"Lament." by the LOTUS

albumartist

Suffering from a style that tends to be a bit shamelessly copy-paste and lacking that underlying hint of fire in their bellies, the LOTUS had yet to impress me much. However, "Lament." may be the song to make me question that. The opening riff is instantly gripping and gives a dark, gritty feeling that only builds on itself as the song climaxes with an explosive chorus. It lands somewhere between D'espairsRay and the GazettE, which isn't such a bad avenue for them if they choose to explore more of it. It would certainly make me a fan.

-

"new born baby" by VERY BERRY

albumartist

A session band with such a fantastic line-up of musicians was already a dream, but to become a formal unit was beyond even that. Members that reach as far back as the likes of カリメロ (Karimero) and ビリー (Billy) naturally sent my expectations through the roof. Much to my own surprise, this release did not disappoint! "new born baby" pays homage to the era and scene the band members cut their teeth in. It has just the right touch of 00s visual rock nostalgia without sounding overly dated in the process.

-

"Fake" by グリーヴァ (grieva)

albumartist

グリーヴァ are back after the departure of their first drummer with a triple single campaign, returning to a Gauze-inspired style that they have been shying away from as of late. "Fake" is the longest of the three singles and brings with it a well orchestrated chorus, frantic sing-talking, and an instrumental opener featuring a creepy child trying to find his lost mother. Have you guys seen mom?

- @Peace Heavy mk II

"アネモネ (anemone)" by ペンタゴン (pentagon)

albumartist

Pentagon released their second single and it was a complete change in direction for them. While their Arelquin-esque bloops and beeps are still around, they went full on cabaret with this single and to me it was a much needed, albeit risky, improvement. "Anemone" is one of the slower songs on the single and it is fall-to-your-knees-while-singing-in-the-rain melodramatic. The chorus is full of powerful, heart-wrenching cheese, but they still managed to sprinkle some creepy elements such as warped music boxes and t.v. static throughout.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

“螺旋 (rasen)” by メディーナ (Mediena)

albumartist

Newcomers Mediena, formed from ex-MiLLa members, just released their debut “demo single” and it’s largely a throwback to late 2000s VK, a time before it all went to bleep-bloop wub-wub-core. My favorite song from the release “rasen” even sounds like Valluna’s “アイシア (aishia)” at times. However, I think ryo’s clean vocals here are much more pleasant than the singer in Valluna. If cheesy “dark” VK is your thing, then Mediena might be a new band to keep an eye on!

- @fitear1590

"まつぽいよ (Matsupoiyo)" by 最上川司 (Tsukasa Mogamigawa)

albumartist

When I was told Tsukasa from D'espairsRay was doing enka I couldn't help but laugh, it was just too hilarious of a mental image. It was a surprise to me when the short version of the Matsupoiyo pv came out. It was really enjoyable. I'm definitely not one for enka but if the rest of what Tsukasa releases is as good as Matsupoiyo, sign me up. Whether you listen to it out of sheer loyalty to a great musician or just for laughs you'll probably end up coming out of the experience with a new favorite jam like I did. The official single release on June 10th is going to be a great day for all of us.

- @fictioninhope

Rock / Metal / Punk

"Lies And Sorrow" by 16REASONS

albumartist

dessin the world just released their fourth compilation in a series called "a plan named overlap", which features an array of indie bands from both Japan and Thailand. The focus of this series lies primarily within the realms of post-rock, math-rock, indie-pop, and punk and other related genres. Japanese band 16REASONS has contributed one of the most rockin' tracks in the mix, sporting a melodic hardcore sound with traces of emo and screamo in tow. Not only do I recommend this track, but I recommend this compilation series as well, as it's a great way to explore two Asian indie scenes at once. Get it here on bandcamp FOR FREE!

- @CAT5

"Surrender" by Boris

albumartist

The chameleon strikes again! 'urban dance', the album "Surrender" is featured on, is the black sheep of the three albums Boris released this year with a focus on traditional rock instrumentation over experimental drone doom noise. It's even more of an oddball considering it's the only track across all three albums with any vocals. It's a welcome change; for as good as they are at post-rock Boris don't utilize it as much as I would like. "Surrender" fits right alongside material such as "Angel", "Farewell", and "Feedbacker", and while not in the same tier as the aforementioned songs still comes with a hearty recommendation from me!

- @Zeus

"Ignorant Rain at the End of the World" by envy

albumartist

After five years, Japanese screamo legends envy have returned with their latest album "Athiest's cornea", with their usual mix of post-hardcore and sprawling post-rock tendencies. While well executed, the album itself leaves much to be desired and is more tiresome to listen to than immersive. "Ignorant Rain at the End of the World" manages to stand out by a hair, being both the shortest and the most straightforwardly intense track on the album, with the rest being almost indistinguishably dull. Very much worth the listen, though!

- @CAT5

"Feedback" by geek sleep sheep

albumartist

This was my first chance getting to hear geek sleep sheep, but with this line up, it had been on my list for some time. MO'SOME TONEBENDER, 凛として時雨, and L'Arc〜en〜Ciel members all in one band? Yes, please! This month had some seriously great side projects putting out some seriously great music. "Feedback" is a fun romp in grunge-y alternative rock with loads of atmosphere that you won't regret.

-

"行く先へ手を伸ばす" (Yukusaki e te wo nobasu) by ROLE

albumartist

envy weren't the only Japanese screamo acts busy this month. Indie band ROLE released their debut EP "HERETICS" as well, and much like their predecessors, their sound revolves epic, post-rock soundscapes. "行く先へ手を伸ばす" (Yukusaki e te wo nobasu) opens the EP with the band playing at full-throttle ferocity. It's a great track from a promising new band that is sure to please fans of the genre. Get the HERETICS EP for cheap over at bandcamp

- @CAT5

"おかげさま (okagesama)" by SUPER BEAVER

albumartist

SUPER BEAVER's latest album is a smooth and relaxing ride. But there's one song that stands out from the rest thanks to its trinkles of various instruments coming into play in the chorus. Sure, it may just be a tambourine I'm talking about but since that's the source of magic, be sure to look out for it. The chorus' tempo is really well done and this song packs everything that SUPER BEAVER has to offer, from its gospel like, operatic opening to a steady yet melodic beat in its verses. 

- @beni

"僕の言葉ではない これは僕達の言葉 (boku no kotoba de wa nai, kore wa bokutachi no kotoba)" by UVERworld

albumartist

I'm not usually a person for anime theme songs, but this one was just too catchy to walk away from. Every single "di-di-ding" and "ahhh" lodged itself so solidly into my consciousness that I had no choice but to listen to it repeatedly. I'm betting I'm not the only one, either. UVERworld seem to have a knack for ear-creeping rock themes as they've been used for everything from anime, to dramas, to commercials. This one just happens to be the new offering for Arslan Senki.

-

"Music Traveler" by クウチュウ戦 (koochewsen)

albumartist

If you enjoy some good, old fashioned, psychedelic rock then koochewsen may be for you. "Music Traveler" is a song that transports you on a groovy journey back to the early 70s. The guitars are progressive and bluesy; the vocals are smooth as silk; the organs have been upgraded to a more modern keyboard, but otherwise, all that's missing is the peace, love, and psychoactive drugs.

-

"売春 (Baishun)" by 女王蜂 (Ziyoou-vachi)

albumartist

It's certainly a far cry from the thunderous noise-rock of their earlier releases, but as always, Ziyoou-vachi swirls around vocalist Avu-chan. On Baishun, over a gentle dance beat, she performs an otherworldly duet with an alternate version of herself. An incredible demonstration of the subtlety of the human voice.

- @leafwork

Indie / Alternative

"ムカデ (mukade) Starlight Ver." by amazarashi

albumartist

This release was promoted as 'acoustic' from what I read, but I'd dare say it has more of an orchestral feeling with guitars traded for violins and the piano having more emphasis. Since the entire mood of this song felt re-written for this purpose and not simply transfering electric guitar parts to an acoustic, this song does more than compete with the original, it completely eclipses it. I'm not quite sure if it has to do with the amount of time between the original song and growth of the musicians, or if the song simply suits this style more. But either way, it's a winner.

-

"夏がそうさせた (natsu ga sousaseta)" by never young beach

albumartist

Fans of guitar-pop and chill indie-rock bands like CARD, ミツメ (mitsume), シャムキャッツ (siamese cats), and even OGRE YOU ASSHOLE might have another band to add to their playlists - never young beach. The band released their first full album titled "YASHINOKI HOUSE" this month and it was tough to choose just one track to recommend. Their sound is heavily inspired by 70's Jpop/rock - in particular, Haruomi Hosono's early output and work with Tin Pan Alley. "夏がそうさせた" (natsu ga sousaseta) is just one example of the incredibly well done indie-rock tunes on the album. Just in time for the summer.

- @CAT5

"飾りすぎていた (kazarisugiteita)" by odol

albumartist

Though the video was released over a month ago, this song retained its strong presence on the full album. I found it intense, and unwilling to be skipped over or reduced to background music. The emotions run high throughout, ebbing back and forth in the composition like the tide of the ocean. The guitars lend a ravenous build up as the song rises, then falls again, over and over. It all comes together beautifully, and proves odol know how to reach in and grab the heartstrings while enrapturing their listener with ease.

-

"Anyone" by theCharmPark

albumartist

Charm Park released his full length album this month, and it's entirely self-written, recorded, and distributed. "Anyone" is a shining example of Charm's electro-pop rock style. Though, the synths never mask the fact that he is a guitarist first and foremost. The fabulous solo speaks for itself, and creates a nice contrast between the first half and the second more rock heavy side, yet maintains a perfect balance.

-

“めまい (memai)”by ミツメ (mitsume)

albumartist

Mitsume is back with a new single after their 2014 album. With no sense of urgency, “memai” is another serving of the laid-back, beachy guitar pop sound that the band is known for. Clean guitar work plods the track along, while Moto Kawabe’s gentle vocals add a daydream-y quality. I can imagine just watching the waves with this song in my headphones. It’s perfect for lounging out in the sun on a hot summer day.

- @fitear1590

"あぱんだ (apanda)" by 吉田一郎不可触世界 (Yoshida Ichiro Untouchable World)

albumartist

ZAZEN BOYS fanatics should rejoice, as the band's bassist Yoshida Ichiro has appeared with his own solo project this month. Ichiro's Untouchable World is very much an extension of ZB's sound, sharing an affinity for retro synths and grooves while maintaining a forward-thinking outlook. Ichiro even recruited fellow nostalgic Leo Imai (who's a member of another ZAZEN related side-project) to contribute backing vocals and more. The title track "あぱんだ" (apanda), with its funky 80's inspired synth work, stuttered minimalistic piano lines, and chaotic free-form breakdown, is a great representation of the range of the sounds to be found within Yoshida Ichiro's Untouchable World!

- @CAT5

"i I I i...." by 湯川潮音 (Yukawa Shione)

albumartist

Folk-pop extraordinaire Yukawa Shione has released her sixth full album "セロファンの空 (Cellophane no Sora)", and it's her most innovative and compelling yet. The album features production and instrumentation from musicians of renown acts like NATSUMEN, EGO-WRAPPIN', PETROLZ, pupa, anonymass and more. "i I I i...." is a mathy tune produced by master guitar loooper Dustin Wong that mixes Shugo Tokumaru-esque wonder with the experimental edge of Wong's former band Ponytail. Fantastic track from a fantastic album!

- @CAT5

"アニバーサリー (anniversary)" by 禁断の多数決 (kindan no tasuketsu)

albumartist

Indie outfit kindan no tasuketsu released a new EP this month, and while their sound usually gravitates towards cutesy, spacey, and sometimes noisy indie-pop, on this EP their sound is a bit closer to the "kawaii" hip-hop of artists like daoko, izumi macra, and COPPU. "アニバーサリー" (anniversary), however, takes a slightly different route. It has a prominent, groovy beat, but the vocals and instrumentation are all submerged in a beachy, almost psychedelic haze. Besides the obviously Japanese lyrics and the cuteness-factor of the vocals, it has a distinct western-indie feel to it. A great track to get into for fast-approaching summer!

- @CAT5

Pop / Idol

"Is this call??" by BiSH

albumartist

Due to the tie in with former idol unit BiS, this was a must check out in my books. Why I didn't pick a louder track you ask? 'Is this call??' features all four girls with seperate singing parts which really shows their unique pitches. For this reason in particular, I found this track most enchanting. 

- @beni

"My Heart Beat" by Crystal Kay

albumartist

I've always been a pretty passive fan of Crystal Kay. Her features, some of her solo work, things of that nature have appealed to me in small ways. However, within the last year since the release of "Rule Your World" which is the jam to end all jams, I have become a super fan. And when she released her new single/EP "Kimi ga Ita Kara" this month she gave fans several excellent follow up songs including "My Heart Beat" which is one of the catchiest songs of the year and a total departure from the raw sexual appeal of "Rule Your World." Keep up the good work, Kuri from the Hama.

- @ShanethVarosa

"DREAM" by FLiP

albumartist

Girl band FLiP take a poppy turn in their latest mini album release. The gals are already equipped with an exceptionally brilliant vocalist who could easily pull off a rock tune as well as a pop tune, so it comes as no surprise that they've excelled in it even if it wasn't a warmly recieved change of sound from the majority of listeners. Each track is a highlight in itself, but what always catches my ear is a catchy chorus. The chorus in "DREAM" involves a dose of Engrish of 'I love you, honey, I miss you,' with background vocals harmonising 'ah's and 'oh's. It's a pleasant and sweet tune to relax to during the warmer seasons thanks to its easy going sound and light electro features.

- @beni

"LOVE" by MACO

albumartist

MACO finally comes out with her own song release, entitled 'LOVE.' After a lot of coverage due to covering English songs on YouTube, MACO has garnered attention from Western singers and fans alike. Her voice has a certain maturity yet innocence about it, similar to popular J-pop singer Nishino Kana. There's a lot of parallels there which is why I personally enjoy seeing her climb up the J-pop ladder ranks little by little. Her first non-cover song certainly didn't disappoint me. With a chorus soaked in sweet honey thanks to its tempo, MACO proves she's one to look out for.

- @beni

"Now I Know" by PassCode

albumartist

If you can't get enough of BABYMETAL and FRUITPOCHETTE, then add these cute bunch of kickass girls to your music library. The progression in this tune is immense. Starting off like a dubstep track, PassCode sing in an almost angelic fashion in whispers. Unexpected but totally welcoming, it doesn't prepare you for the onslaught that is the 'idols' giving a heavy electro breakdown. What's even more perfect is that drumming during this break. It's pretty much Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but cute. 

- @beni

"Beautiful" by Superfly

albumartist

The name of this track really does do this justice - the song itself is truly stunning. This is thanks to its chorus which bursts with an elegant yet strong flare. Everything works together with such a majestic rhythm, it sounds like a grand theater performance finale, or even a Eurovision song entry if you think I'm being too kind there. Ochi's headstrong vocals cannot go unnoticed in this one as she dances over the clambering instruments with absolute grace.

- @beni

"LOVE TO YOU -by CUPS-" by Suzu

albumartist

This track really did come out of nowhere. I had listened to her second album not expecting much at all, but this song has come out as my top track for this month. Clearly featured in this song is the traditional Japanese instrument, the Sanshin, an Okinawan instrument with 3 strings. Just give it a listen and you'll notice how much this pops out and adds so much substance to what could've turned out as the same old J-pop song. The PV is a highlight in itself which is highly recommended.

- @beni

"The edge of Heaven & Revolution" by T.M.Revolution

albumartist

Takanori Nishikawa finally brings us another album after four years. With a heavy track listing of seventeen songs in total, the album ultimately weighs too much with its overly used anime sounding tunes. That is what makes this track so refreshing and jumps out more so. It sounds like it could come out of an epic Hollywood movie. Nori's vocals are on point throughout, carrying this heroic feel across from start to finish. It's a strong song which is my personal highlight of the entire album.

- @beni

"I Believe U" by TiA

albumartist

TiA is best known as the TiA (out of a possible three other TiA artists that is) that sung an

for the anime Naruto. Her music has had a pop sound throughout her career, so this release of hers which is operatic at best was extremely surprising. I didn't think she had it in her, but boy was I wrong. It's her best release since she debuted! 'I Believe U' showcases her high vocals and control. The choir vocals in the background makes the song all the more dramatic and enriching. Even in my stunned state, it's a truly beautiful piano piece. 

- @beni

"Stay With Me" by TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE

albumartist

This group could give AKB48 a run for their money. With an undeniably tempting tempo as its chorus, 'Stay With Me' asks you to really do so. Member Hitomi dominates the track, with her other gals doing the group vocals during the chorus. It's a sexy and sweet tune with an addicting chorus.

- @beni

"Birthday" by 安室奈美恵 (Namie Amuro)

albumartist

Several songs from Namie's new, awkwardly named album "_genic" were pre-released this month with "Birthday" being one of them. While her last single, "Brighter Day," was stunning in every way, Namie had released a terrible ballad collection earlier last year that made me question whether I would be a fan any longer. Thankfully, she brings a somewhat '80's throwback vibe in this track as well as several of the other pre-released tracks. Look forward to her album next month!

- @ShanethVarosa

"TOKYO/OSAKA" by 神田莉緒香 (Rioka Kanda)

albumartist

I must thank Kanda for being so cute that I just had to check this out due to that cover. It's exactly what I was hoping for and much more. Kanda's vocals are delicious. Imagine if your favourite candy could talk. You'd have Kanda for sure. The beat has a poppy sound, but overall, it's more of a indie folk track. Kanda's quite unknown, so lets give her the attention and love she deserves!

- @beni

R&B / Hip-Hop

"ONE OF THEM" by EMI MARIA

albumartist

The whole atmospheric R&B sound with thumping trap beats and spacey, ambient-like backdrops - exemplified by American artists like Drake and Jhené Aiko - is a trend that hasn't really caught on in Japan. "ONE OF THEM", the opener from half-Japanese/half-Papua New Guinean singer EMI MARIA's latest album "EUPHORIA", shows that Japan is definitely capable of nailing this sound - if they so wish to. Unfortunately this track is a one-off, as the songs following this one quickly defaulted to Japan's usual pop/r&b cheese and sound relatively dated. Perhaps this sound doesn't resonate with Japanese consumers - whatever the case, "ONE OF THEM" is a refreshing track in a scene that's dangerously out of touch.

- @CAT5

"Night Club Session" by NAGAN SERVER & MANTIS

albumartist

Underground hip-hop artist NAGAN SERVER has teamed up with producer MANTIS on a new collaboration album called "RELIEF". It's a heavily sampled, boom-bap affair with less than a handful of artist features - singer CHIYORI, fellow rapper BASI (from insist), and interestingly, N∀OKI from ROTTENGRAFFTY. "Night Club Session" is a super chill track that features NAGAN's equally smooth, spoken-word-esque rapping, but stands out especially for MANTIS's fantastic production that cleverly samples the Isley Brother's "Footsteps in the Dark"; a beat that would even give the late nujabes a run for his money.

- @CAT5

Electronic / Jazz / Other

"Speak no Evil" by Kyoto Jazz Sextet

albumartist

Formed by Japanese jazz veteran and co-founder of Kyoto Jazz Massive Shuya Okino, Kyoto Jazz Sextet is an ensemble featuring some of Japan's premier jazz musicians: Avant-jazz trumpeter Shinpei Ruike, Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro's Ken Kurihara on tenor sax, quasimode's pianist Yusuke Hirado, SLEEP WALKER's Nobuaki Fujii on drums, and Yoshihito "P" Koizumi on bass. They just released their first album called "Mission" which is filled with classic jazz songs from the likes of Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock and more - in addition to a rework of Kyoto Jazz Massive's "eclipse". "Speak No Evil" is a splendid cover of Wayne Shorter's modal jazz classic that the band tackles with the utmost prowess - even putting their own unique spin on it with nods to club-jazz, free-jazz, and other styles. Brilliant!

- @CAT5

"Ants" by nego

albumartist

Three years after the release of one of my favorite 2012 albums, "SANSARA", nego has returned to impress with their 3rd album "THE WORLD". Just like their last album, this one is also mixed and mastered by the amazing KASHIWA Daisuke, but also features production work from a member ハイスイノナサ (haisuinonasa) as well as featured vocalists. nego describe themselves as a "Hybrid Dub/Dancehall" band, but the lead track "Ants" proves that to be anything but accurate. The song features vocals from misato of KACICA and has an intense, otherworldly atmosphere that's anchored by a steady groove and swells into a thunderous roar. Fans of bands like downy will love this!

- @CAT5

"doll (kidkanevil remix)" by Noah

albumartist

Noah is a recent signee to Japanese electronic flau and as expected, her sound treads closely along the same lines as labelmates cokiyu and cuushe - dreamy ambient-pop with hushed vocals. Noah employs some vague traces of r&b in her work, though. In anticipation of her upcoming debut album "Sivutie", she's released her first single for the song "flaw". While the title track is nice enough, the b-side, remixed by labelmate kidkanevil, is particularly outstanding. His IDM-like touches add a brisk feel to Noah's classical piano and icy, whispered vocals.

- @CAT5

See you next month! :3

loved the new envy :( im surprised the reaction wasnt better

thanks for the role rec, i'll check it out asap~

Thoughts:

Grieva - Grieva's singles were the same good ol' Grieva we loved and might still love in the near future. Not much to add in here tbh - coolio stuff.

Envy - Envy's hype train (okay okay I know, their comeback after a while) was so loud enough that I decided to give their new release a shot...nah-uh, compared to their earlier output this felt way too watered down. I don't even feel like "barking at the caravan" either, idiomatically speaking.

Koochewsen - finally there's at least one "far-out" act in the midst of latest J-indie groups! I didn't give their album a try yet but I will be definitely expecting some nice things from them (70s-is concept is totes neat) :)

BiSH -  As far as my promotions are concerned, this is where I actually jumped out of the hype train I drove in the first place, lol. Their manager seems to be playing way too safe games with his new girls and I am not digging it for that sole reason, meh. 

T.M.Revolution - Might not be on par with his earlier, more diverse outputs but it's a nice comeback from Takanori anyway. Out of non-single tracks AMAKAZE and "Salvage" were my standout favs...well, there's not much to say than that it was better than CLOUD NINE, heh.

Namie Amuro - J-troll of the year in all honesty. Just why did she have to lie about showcasing a "grandiose throwback" to her 90s soundscape? This feels like poor, FEEL-y imitation of PLAY! Ugh *hating*

EMI MARIA - I have heard many good things of her new album so far, but is it worth trying - MH urban enthusiasts? I am kinda scared :S

Kyoto Jazz Sextet - quasimode? Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro? YASSS PLS.

...phew :D

@:

About The Lotus:

How do you enjoy this song? Lol

I really dislike the full mini, the music quality is the lowest in consideration with their other two minis.

About geek sleep sheep:

I'm really on the way to listen to their latest work, I only don't had enough time to check.

@@beni

About Chanty:

Seriously? Another choice like mine? XDD

About DiSH:

One friend of mine in Japan said to me this group is cool, and seeing you enjoying it, is another point for me to try them.

I don't found it here to dl.

About TM Revolution:

I will give him a try too, I enjoyed the era I used to listen to him.

My list this month is small :D

Develop One's Faculties - papillon

Oh boy, in the beginning I was only giving a try because of Rui, but the vocalist has a good voice, I highly recommend, didn't know him from before,

The arrange and music elements in papillon are super, and it's one lovely song, mixing all I like in music \o/

Chanty - ひどいかお2

It was a really hard choice, their newest album are full of good songs and easy to fall in love with.

I choose this one because besides being a "continuation" from ひどいかお it's a song that represent how Chanty is. The riffs and Akuta's voice are just amazing.

I slacked this month, so it was nice to go through and find some overlooked songs/releases to check out.

Some highlights included:

@@beni
Chanty: Yay, so glad you included Chanty! They're a rising VK fave for me. Having said that, this song was one of least favorites on the album, haha. (I enjoyed tracks 4-6 the most I think). Also, as @yakihiko mentioned, I didn't even make the connection between the title of this one and "first" version of "ひどいかお". I wonder if there's a lyrical connection, because musically, they don't seem that similar (and I much prefer the first one :D).

@@Peace Heavy mk II
DEZERT: I haven't truly checked out this band yet, but the few attempts to sample them have left me feeling "eh, I'll get to them later." This song, however, caught my attention!
Pentagon: This was the most standout track to me on that single! They definitely need to explore this "cabaret" style more, as there doesn't seem to be anything particularly memorable about their usual stuff. Also, it took me forever to figure it out, but this chorus is quite reminiscent of Tokyo Jihen's "禁じられた遊び".

@@fictioninhope
IX -NINE-: Never heard of them or EARTHERLY, but this is pretty sweet! Really nice of them to offer it for free on soundcloud as well. Gonna keep an eye on them!

@
the LOTUS: I was about this close to including a track by them ("A.P.O.") myself, but I'm glad to see you covered them! "Lament." was my second favorite track off that single; kind of reminded me of Heartless' "白蓮" from their MASQUERADE single. I hope the band finds their own sound, because I like the vocalist, but they're still a bit generic. Still, they have some potential.
geek sleep sheep: I need to check out the album. This track sounds good, though I think I prefer the sublime, shoegazey sound of that "kaleidoscope" track.
Koochewsen: This is tight. I wanna hear more. The romanization of their name is so goofy though, haha.
odol: simply stunning! I also really liked your blurb on this one :D

@@CAT5
never young beach: Yesss, gimme that beachy guitar pop. Also, since you mentioned CARD, I'll have to give them a listen too.
Yoshida Ichiro Untouchable World: This is some wonky shit. Love it!
kindan no tasuketsu: wasn't expecting this sound at all, but it's lovely.
EMI MARIA: This is a neat track, indeed. It's a shame you say the rest of the release doesn't continue this sound. Also, if you like this, be sure to try out Alina Baraz if you haven't already.

NAGAN SERVER & MANTIS: Wow, I would not have recognized the "Footsteps in the Dark" sample if you hadn't mentioned it. This is chill as fuck and my kind of hip hop.

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting this month, fellow ORZ-colleagues!
PS: I love how beni dominated pop and CAT had the last two sections to himself, haha.

IX -NINE-

I've heard about this band but didn't check them out until now. Stylistically I found them rather enjoyable, but their vocalist really leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. I'll give them more of a chance though and see if it grows on me a bit more.

湯川潮音

This track was really cool. I'm assuming that it's not particularly representative of her discography as a whole, but it's a really enjoyable track nonetheless.

nego

Found this album in general to be rather good, though not necessarily a favourite. I do consider Ants to be one of the better tracks on the album so I'm cool with its selection here.

Generally speaking I'm cool with the large quantity of tracks. In my opinion it's just a by-product of the fact that people enjoyed a lot of music this month. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, as @yakihiko mentioned, I didn't even make the connection between the title of this one and "first" version of "ひどいかお". I wonder if there's a lyrical connection, because musically, they don't seem that similar (and I much prefer the first one :D).

@@fitear1590:

No, I just said because the title being "2", like Nightmare for the Gianizm songs xD

But now that you said I want to see what both say on lyrics. :D

@:

About The Lotus:

How do you enjoy this song? Lol

I really dislike the full mini, the music quality is the lowest in consideration with their other two minis.

LOL really? XD I have only listened to their Providence of BIONIC mini before this, but I didn't like it at all. I found PoJ to be much better. "Lament." was good to me because they didn't follow heavy verse, pop chorus formula like a lot of other songs, it followed a more traditional rock format. It also felt like they were trying to put across stronger emotions this time and not just follow a musical trend. But everyone enjoys different things, I suppose. ^_^

I slacked this month, so it was nice to go through and find some overlooked songs/releases to check out.

@

the LOTUS: I was about this close to including a track by them ("A.P.O.") myself, but I'm glad to see you covered them! "Lament." was my second favorite track off that single; kind of reminded me of Heartless' "白蓮" from their MASQUERADE single. I hope the band finds their own sound, because I like the vocalist, but they're still a bit generic. Still, they have some potential.

geek sleep sheep: I need to check out the album. This track sounds good, though I think I prefer the sublime, shoegazey sound of that "kaleidoscope" track.

Koochewsen: This is tight. I wanna hear more. The romanization of their name is so goofy though, haha.

odol: simply stunning! I also really liked your blurb on this one :D

PS: I love how beni dominated pop and CAT had the last two sections to himself, haha.

You absolutely didn't slack. Some of us may have just had a lot more free time this month lol. OTL Your picks are great! Where are you finding these vk bands? Both Xenon from last month and Mediena are so good. Please keep it up! 

Considering Heartless is an old fave, that's quite a keen observation! I never even thought about that, but now I put "白蓮" on again and they most certainly do have a similar feeling! No wonder I was drawn to this track. "A.P.O" was good too. Like I was saying to yakihiko above, I felt PoJ was the strongest release I've heard from them so far. But I've only heard one other mini so I can't say it's their best, imo, just yet. XD Have you listened to their other releases? "kaleidoscope" is great too. I liked most of the gss album so I definitely recommend you get on it! Koochewsen is goofy in general. Not a stretch to say there may have been some mind altering substances helping with these "wacky" decisions. XD And thanks for the nod on the odol blurb! Sometimes the songs just bring it out of you. lol. 

I was laughing at the "benicore" and "cat-files" sections as well. X"D bless.

--------------

Alright. It's that time for me to buckle down and listen to these jams because AW YIIISS BNT DAY IS BEST DAY! I may never leave this post. ;3;

@fictioninhope

You already knew how I felt about the Tsukasa track, and I'm still super grateful you wrote it up because he deserves all the love~. But I really enjoyed the IX song. I went and downloaded their stuff, and I regret nothing! 

@Peace Heavy mk II

High fives on that Pentagon track. I'm a huge fan of the Vidoll sound they have going on in this too, you were dead on about that.

@CAT5

Thank you so much for so many punk picks! I have been severly slacking, mostly because the bands I know have been quiet this year. So 16REASONS are just what I needed right now. This song is great!!! I legit went and downloaded the comp while we were proofing this. I'm probably gonna go buy that ROLE release too... X"D Agree about the envy album. I was super hyped for it and left with liking that song only. :| And even that one had to grow on me a bit. I'm kinda still hoping the album will with some time. I'm also gonna have to check out that never young beach, sounds perf for the season. And worth mentioning... I like how Leo Imai worked his way into BNT two months in a row. XD

@beni

I'm glad you wrote up TMR this month. I was going to if you didn't. "DOUBLE DEAL" and "HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS" were my faves, but the song you picked is really pretty and a great representation of the album. :3 That Roika Kanda song is super cute and soothing. I really enjoyed it, too. Now I can't help but imagine little candies emoji faces singing along to this song. lol

@Ender you chose alot of songs that I kind of fell in love with this month<3. The Geek Sleep Sheep - Feedback video I know it maybe not to much going on but camera movement but I thought it was pretty Epic looking at it first time around and Amazarashi I loved the acoustic album.

@shaneth Royz - the beginning I thought was really good too glad you posted it and YESSSSSSSH Sadie - Voyage I'll miss them I thought that was a good last single all around at least for now I can't wait for them to come back. I mean they have too!!! RIGHT?  :lolita_sad:

@Seimeisen was it hard to choose your favorite of Avelcain's - Omajinai I mean everything was good, like always, but I think I have to settle for Oyasuminasai since I'm always a sucker for the slow ballad type songs, but glad its up there

@Beni the whole Chanty album I thought was pretty good but I guess I never went back to choose a favorite. Guess I should give it a try again, but I liked the whole album as a whole.

@Ender you chose alot of songs that I kind of fell in love with this month<3. The Geek Sleep Sheep - Feedback video I know it maybe not to much going on but camera movement but I thought it was pretty Epic looking at it first time around and Amazarashi I loved the acoustic album.

I'm so happy you liked them! I liked the Feedback video too. The mood was perfect, sometimes simple is best. Yay! Another amazarashi fan! :D

AvelCain, Chanty, Develop One's Faculties, DEZERT, Sadie.

All the VK releases I'd peg here got mention. Surprised about the song choice from Chanty but I love that. I'm right with you on the DOF song choice.

Yo, ender-ender, this the LOTUS EP is killing me. Lament. is easily the best, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

LOL it's not AOTY material, that's for sure. But I felt that song was worth mentioning. XD

I'm so happy you liked them! I liked the Feedback video too. The mood was perfect, sometimes simple is best. Yay! Another amazarashi fan! :D

Yeah Amazarashi is pretty good I love the mood they set in their music and the acoustic album was nice. So true though about simplicity being the best at times ^_^

Okay, first time going through a BNT post and I’m glad that I did!

@Peace Heavy mk II, SO happy a DEZERT song made the cut. The first two 包丁の正しい使い方 songs are incredible, though I think the second one is my favourite. But the first one was a better choice for people who still haven't heard the band. My only gripe with the compilation is that it didn't include 変 and 異常な階段. Oh, well...

The Pentagon track was pretty good, too.

@beni, I haven't formally listened to the Chanty album yet, but I think I would have chosen the first song, since the song alone is making me want to give this band a try. On another note, one thing about this band that really stood out to me was the fact that they didn't tack on some intro "S.E." track to the beginning of the album like almost every VK band does these days.

, great choice on the Develop One's Faculties track. I really like this band's style, but a lot their other songs don't seem as engaging. Not much else to say since this is only their second single.

Definitely trying out the LOTUS and VERY BERRY releases; possibly odol as well.

@fitear1590, I might try the Mediena single 'cause I love the Valluna homage, though I'm really hoping there are better tracks. I think the original Valluna song is better that the Mediena song it inspired...

@CAT5, role mini album is going on my Bandcamp wishlist. Downloading that dessin the world compilation right now! That 16REASONS song is great!

@Zeus, Goddamn, I need to dive into Boris more. I have their album Noise, but I’ve only heard Angel (in a shuffle last summer). “Surrender” sounds really cool, though! Guess I’ll go download those three new albums, now.

@Seimeisen was it hard to choose your favorite of Avelcain's - Omajinai I mean everything was good, like always, but I think I have to settle for Oyasuminasai since I'm always a sucker for the slow ballad type songs, but glad its up there.

It was very, very difficult lol. I love all the songs on the mini album. I was really considering choosing おやすみなさい as well, it's a very beautiful song, and it is slower, but 午前二時 is more energetic and it seems quite different from other songs that eve has composed for this band.

, great choice on the Develop One's Faculties track. I really like this band's style, but a lot their other songs don't seem as engaging. Not much else to say since this is only their second single.

Definitely trying out the LOTUS and VERY BERRY releases; possibly odol as well.

I'm so happy people seem to like DOF's music so far. It is hard to say since, like you said, they only have a couple of singles released so far but I really liked how this song was different that the others. And while I enjoy the other songs quite a lot, they can kind of blend into each other and that can surely get monotonous. Good luck with the other releases! I recommend that odol album most of all. :3