46 members have voted

1. 1. Whose side are you on?

• pentagon's!
    • Chanty's!
    • Neither!
    • I can't decide!

pentagon.png?resize=620%2C264

ペンタゴン (pentagon) vs. Chanty

Both bands had released their first full-length albums earlier this year, and both had quite the reception here on MH. They're both pretty new bands with positive comments on, but who do you think is the better unit? 

17149-n93ion4o5t.jpg

Edit: changed the chanty PV choice

Before entering this thread I hadn't heard a single song by Chanty... fast-forwarded into the vid above, could tolerate it for 3 seconds.

So yeah, Pentagon gets my vote. They aren't anything mindblowing, but they're at least listenable.

I voted "can't decide" at first because I plan on giving Chanty's album a try soon. But I changed to pentagon because after listening to the videos, I enjoy pentagon's sound a lot more. 

I chose chanty. Pentagon isn't bad, but I found their sound a bit OVERLY formulaic...and i wasn't a fan of the constantly key-changed, pop choruses. Chanty is more my speed because musically, they're not too far from a lot of the non-vk indie/pop-rock bands out there - with the exception of the vocals. Needless to say, I enjoyed chanty's album a bit more.

WHERE IS THE PENTAGON ALBUM PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT

edit:nvm...it was CALL ME ( i thoguht that was a mini album)

i vote pentagon....they are playing with DIFFERENT STYLES in songs, and even on 少年ワルツ and it sounds good an almost all of it!
Trying alternative, metalcore-ish, ballad, pop-ish, even ballad sounds good on all. Well rounded band, very talented imo.
The pentagon video you posted is not representative of pentagon's total sound, because the man eating teddy bear song would be only showing pentagon's harder side

Chanty isn't bad at all, but sound like indie, i don't like indie that much, but it's good if ur looking for indie sound

I've never heard of pentagon, but according to the videos, they didn't sounds at all like Chanty xD

So, I can't vote.

yeah...you might be right actually, the bands might be too different in sound to compare

I haven't listened to either of them before. Pentagon is ok but that kind of band is a dime a dozen in the VK world at the moment. Plus, the opening to the song sounds as messy as Hybrid Truth's.

Chanty has a much better sound to me; I would say it's fresh but as I don't delve into indie that much, they're probably pretty derivative too.

I chose can't decide as I feel like musically and concept wise they're very different from each other. I like both for completely different reasons. I feel like there's not enough in common to compare and contrast the two with.

MINPHA CHAN KAWAIIIII

PENTAGONNNNNNNN

i havent listened to either except that one pentagon song and i just love minpha cuz who cares about the music

Chanty, all the way. Their singles have been really enjoyable for me and their debut album seems to have maintained the quality. I'm still gathering my impressions, but it has a decent amount of variety.

I checked out Pentagon's album, because there was a lot of hype leading up to it, but I deleted it from my HD after 2 listens. Their new single is a bit more memorable, but they still have some cheap production quirks and generic tendencies to overcome before I see myself getting any more invested in them.

In the end, Chanty's "indie rock" style of VK is much more novel and interesting to me. Perhaps pitting them against Yeti might have been a closer battle.

Chanty kinda lost me with that cringeworthy おとなりさん concept. Pentagon.

Are you referring to the cover art or the PV? Explain, gurrl.

Definitely chanty.

Pentagon sounds too electronic for me.

I like chanty even more, because now I can listen to Otonari-san without see that adorable cover-art.

I really like Chanty but I've never heard Pentagon and I'm at work so I can't listen, or even view for that matter, the PV's posted but when I get home I'll check Pentagon out. I have a feeling I'm going to like Chanty more but we'll see.

I really thought I was going to like Pentagon but after only the first two releases I'm completely and utterly disinterested. I couldn't even make it through their debut album, realizing "Id rather just listen to 2 Arlequin songs and be done." Their synth style drives me miles away.

Chanty somehow stole my heart this season, I liked their singles but a few songs on the album just really put them on a higher shelf for me. Chanty smashes this one IMO. I've liked Akuto since listening to Administrator in high school, I'm glad he is making a name in a more identifiable band nowadays.

Pentagon all the way.

This is probably an unfair judgment. I haven't heard any Chanty other than the video in the first post... but that song sounds very boring to me. And I'm not really feeling their singer, which makes me uninterested in hearing more from them.

Pentagon might be a derivative band, they don't exactly do anything new, but I love the vocalist. They also released one of my favourite songs this year, Suisai (from either type B or C of Shounen Waltz, can't remember which). Such a heartfelt, sweet song about returning to his hometown and regretting/missing a past love (i think...? i'm no translator). Almost makes me tear up every time I hear it. 

... plus, major bonus points for Minpha & the bunny mascot. So cute.

Going by the 2 samples, I have to say Chanty. Neither of the bands are doing anything particularly new or unique but Chanty do have a unique singer and although both styles are pretty common in western music, Chanty are a breath of fresh air with how many bands are playing stuff like Pentagon

Chanty. They have a very smart sound that doesn't feel all too recycled (unlike the thing which Pentagon does), the scene needs more bands like this — something that doesn't rely on a standard low E-string chugging paired with "death" vocals. I am not too particularly interested in the band, but they're certainly the best from both options.

I change my vote to Pentagon. Chanty are nice but they're getting a little boring with each new release.