Jigsaw9

Post-punk / New wave / Goth / Deathrock

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this, but here it goes I guess! Let's use this wonderful space to share our love of post-punk, new wave, goth and deathrock bands (and any relevant subgenre like darkwave etc).  :staru: Be it old classics or newer recommendations, reminiscences or news/new releases, all is welcome!

Some cool stuff I'm spinnin' recently:

She Past Away - excellent minimalistic Sisters of Mercy-esque goth-wave-thingie from Turkey (they just released their 2nd full-length a couple of days ago).

Spoiler

Metro Cult - Danish band delivering synths and energetic post-punk with a darker shade, what can go wrong? (their debut EP was released today actually!)

Spoiler

Ceremony - apparently they began as a shoegaze band but their latest album is nothing but amazing Joy Division worship (okay, it's a bit more varied than that).

Spoiler

I wholeheartedly recommend the releases of Mass Media Records btw, awesome artists all around! Cemetery, Rule of Thirds, Shadowhouse and Lost Tribe are brilliant.

Whoo, a topic to celebrate Siouxsie and Bauhaus.

While I'm having the greatest difficulties labeling this specifically, I think this is dark wave with some new wave/synthpop influences. The project is called Linea Aspera and has already been abandoned in favor of a new one called Keluar (also worth listening to) but for now I prefer their first S/T album, which includes this really, really catchy song:

Kokushoku Elegy. When I spun this in a room on plug.dj, the first reactions I received were "wow, Japanese Siouxsie" which I think is more or less accurate. While not all their songs are evenly matched, most are very much worth listening to. Very underground:

Samhain

Fans of Misfits and Danzing will be very familiar with these guys as this was one of Glenn Danzig's bands. There's some Misfits punk left in the sound, and Danzig's characteristic vocals are present, but musically Samhain was darker, more sombre, macabre and eerie than Misfits.

Listen

Listen

Christian Death

Christian Death' debut album, Only Theatre of Pain, is often considered THE deathrock album, and with good reason. I prefer Samhain to Christian Death myself, but this album, as well as the EP Deathwish, are must-haves for any fans of deathrock/gothic rock. Simple as that.

Listen

45 Grave

Cult band that should be familiar to anyone into the genre, or horror films actually. Best known for Partytime which was included on the cult classic The Return of the Living Dead.

Listen

The Damned

I can't say I am too familiar with this band, but Phantasmagoria is a total classic. Dark and eerie goth rock. Those vocals, man.

Listen

Beastmilk

A newer post-punk band who changed their name from Beastmilk to Grave Pleasures following the departure of their guitarist. Features Kvhost previously of Dødheimsgard, Code, Hexvessel and more. Superb band!

Listen

Someone finally did it. I already thought a long time about making this thread, but I never pulled it through, because I didn't expected so much interest here. But good to see that some people are into the genre. Also glad to see many nice newcomers mentioned. Most people know or will stumble upon the classics (Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Banshees) and I think it is more important to give the more unknown bands a spotlight.

Also glad that so far no one has mentioned anything like Blutengel, Rammstein, Motionless in White or Within Temptation. Because they are just not goth.

She Past Away are amazing, I just bought their second album. I do not agree with the Sisters of Mercy comparisons, that people often mention. Yeah, the singer has a very low and dark voice, but their music is still very different from the Sisters Hardrock influenced Post-Punk. She Past Away are, to me, colder, mysterious and distanced sounding.

Some recommendations of mine:

Sixth June
Since Linea Aspera have mentioned, this band also falls into a similiar genre, a mix of electro-, minimal- and dark wave. Also feautures a female vocalist.

Winter Severity Index
An all female band with a very nice, 80s sound. They are associated with the current coldwave revival thing (not sure how much this ties in with the original french coldwave of the 80s, but I guess so, since they have that sound). Really nice, athmospheric and melancholic music with lots of ambience. Their music is really soothing and calming, The Brightest Days is however hella catchy.

Catholic Spit
They are a Southern California based Death Rock group with a very distinctive sound. At least I haven‘t heard so many bands sounding like them. Which makes me glad, since many deathrock groups have the problem of trying to imitate Christian Death and end up being lame copies. Very punky sound and their style reminds me of old horror movie or tv show soundtracks.

Pink Turns Blue
German Post-Punk band with a really melancholic mood, for which they are associated with the goth and darkwave scene. I really enjoy their earlier albums. They were active  from the late 80s to 90s and reunited in 2003.

Soror Dolorosa

Now a band where the Sisters comparisons may fit. Though sometimes they remind me more of Bauhaus. Like many other coldwave groups they are hailing from France and impress with their wonderful angsty post-punk tunes.

(I hope my video links are working, Firefox does not show me any videos >_>)

Oh damn, so many cool bands you guys mentioned!

@Des I remember you playing Linea Aspera on plug (this same song), I must check out more from them!

I haven't listened to Kokushoku Elegy before, but they sound nice. A bit like G-Schmitt maybe (also fantastic band).

@Bear Now I'm reminded how few of the classics I truly know, haha. xD Always wanted to check out early Christian Death and Damned tho. So glad you mentioned Beastmilk btw, absolutely amazing band! Can't wait for their new album as Grave Pleasures, I'm sure it will deliver.

@Ikna You're right I guess, SPA doesn't resemble the Sisters to a T of course, I just wrote it for lack of a better comparison (SPA sounds a bit more airy and electronic maybe?). Winter Severity Index sounds pretty fine, I must look into that later. Also, Catholic Spit are just excellent! Love them so much. Reminds me a lil' bit of my country's Rats Kill Bats (tho RKB aren't nearly as good).

great fucking selection of bands yo

this is dope! for a great amount of time of my life I listened post punk non stop! still do!

The Sound

ho ho I just changed my icon to the album Jeopardy, what a coincidence ;)

Anyways 1979 post punk band with great sounds and feeling to their music. A lot of comparison to Joy Division, but personally for first listeners, you'll might say that. I listen to them a lot and by now I can barely relate but say they're both post punk bands.

I can totally relate to the motivation that they were putting out to. I am totally sucked in to their music.

note: very overlooked band and never hit high popularity

This Heat

One of the most greatest bands I've ever listened to. Very relatable to me and MIND BLOWING!

They started in the late 70's post punk era creating the most horrific sounding music you'll hear. Though they arent really categorized any genre or type of music, but still hold some post punk into them. Experimental and industrial I see more as.

What I found interesting is that their motivation of music if from fear! During the time of the missile crisis, it was a horrifying impact to peoples minds. Which I can clearly hear from their music.

The Pop Group

Lets put some funk into punk haha Mark Stewart -lead singer- knows how to project this unkindly scary voice, which made it so amazing! one ofa kind haha the same fear and paranoia inspired to make this music. fuckin end of the world

oh boy such aggression to his voice and all the instruments combined. it was something I always wanted to project out and so this grabbed me very instantly.

got more bands to share

The Damned

I can't say I am too familiar with this band, but Phantasmagoria is a total classic. Dark and eerie goth rock. Those vocals, man.

Listen

Whaaaaaat, I can't believe I never listened to this album before. Thanks a bunch.

Asylum Party

Can you hear it? It's speaking to my soul. *bobs head left and right*

Now this band was part of the cold wave french movement during the mid 80s or so. You can definitely feel this band going through your soul. Such dark cold voice.

Xymox/ Clan of Xymox

Early 1980 4AD darkwave band which I really appreciate how Pieter Nooten (keyboards) just perfect the synths. An atmosphere you feel confined to endless swirls. With the songs that Anka Wolbert (bass) has written gives a much more gloomy feel.

note: dont listen to CoX after anka and pieter split. just dont!

Coldreams

Very obscure coldwave band formed in the mid 80's. Give it a listen. Real great stuff.

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this, but here it goes I guess! Let's use this wonderful space to share our love of post-punk, new wave, goth and deathrock bands (and any relevant subgenre like darkwave etc).

Can people just list the subgenres that would be relevant in this thread? I'm not too well-versed in this genres, so I don't really know this. Name 'em, guys.

Can people just list the subgenres that would be relevant in this thread? I'm not too well-versed in this genres, so I don't really know this. Name 'em, guys.

Maybe let's keep it to: post-punk, new wave, goth, deathrock, darkwave, coldwave, dark rock, gothic rock...maybe some synthpop? Something like that. Not sure if we should include industrial and related subgenres (martial industrial, neo-folk, EBM etc.) cuz that would be a bit too much maybe. I'm down for anything tho.

@Heroin OMG the bands in your first post, I must check'em outttt! <3 Fun coincidence: I'm gonna go see Ash Code live tomorrow and they have a The Sound cover, heh. :D Asylum Party and Clan of Xymox are totally cool too.

Another great cult coldwave group: Opéra de Nuit!

Maybe let's keep it to: post-punk, new wave, goth, deathrock, darkwave, coldwave, dark rock, gothic rock...maybe some synthpop? Something like that. Not sure if we should include industrial and related subgenres (martial industrial, neo-folk, EBM etc.) cuz that would be a bit too much maybe. I'm down for anything tho.

@Heroin OMG the bands in your first post, I must check'em outttt! <3 Fun coincidence: I'm gonna go see Ash Code live tomorrow and they have a The Sound cover, heh. :D Asylum Party and Clan of Xymox are totally cool too.

Another great cult coldwave group: Opéra de Nuit!

Dude that covers sweet! Im a long waiting to hear a Sound cover live. Now that I would be something. If The Chameleons do a cover thatll be a super++!

Oh and yeah! You should really give a listen to those bands. This Heat, I wanna say is very uneasy to listen to. The Pop Group I say its much more easy to get into. 

Ill definitely message you some info and recommendations to the bands music. 

yay goth thread!

i love goth vk but im not sure what western bands to look into that sound similar

i love emmurée, merry go round, laputa, lamiel/blast and klaha era malice mizer so can  y'all rec me something that sounds similar to any?

^ i would recommend some but cant really think of any at the moment.

Lowlife

Now lowlife is a band thats very personal to me. From the beautiful calm dark saddening melodies, to the lyrics which reflects a lot to my life. All from the heart I take this band to. 

Aside from what I feel towards this band, this band formed in the mid 80s. From Grangemouth, Scotland. The sound is a bit different to expect from. Very post punk shoegazy style but not really determining. Its something different, but not too far. Very overlooked band. 

Well, if darkwave is included then Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows deserves a mention. Absolute stunning band and probably the darkwave band I am most familiar with. I think al the albums from 1995's Todeswunsch to 2007's Les Fleurs du Mal - Die Blumen des Bösen are fantastic. Some better than others of course, but all are really good.

Listen

Listen

And Enoch, a side project by Mirai of Sigh and Killjoy of Necrophagia. Released one album and I think it's a great album. It's a very horror film influenced album. A soundtrack to a non-existing horror movie. I really like the album. Great atmosphere and moods.

i love goth vk but im not sure what western bands to look into that sound similar

i love emmurée, merry go round, laputa, lamiel/blast and klaha era malice mizer so can  y'all rec me something that sounds similar to any?

A bit of a shot in the dark, but maybe you would like some of these:

Xmal Deutschland / Cinema Strange / Arctic Flowers / Horror Vacui / The Hunt

(none of these are like MM tho)

@Bear Sopor Aeternus, yessss!!! Totally unique & crazy stuff, gotta love it. Can't get this song/video out of my head for a while now. xD Also, I never knew about that Mirai/Killjoy project, I must listen to it in the future~

"The Fifth NEXT Twenty Post-Punk Bands You Should Know About"

http://stereoembersmagazine.com/the-fifth-next-twenty-post-punk-bands-you-should-know-about/

Awesome list, a lot of cool stuff to get through. Can't vouch for all of it, but Animal Bodies, Bat Nouveau, Rule of Thirds and She Past Away are all pretty sweet.

Well, more female fronted dark, electronic minimal wave: Lebanon Hannover is a english band active in Germany. If you like Sixth June, Linea Aspera and the like, then Lebanon Hannover might be your thing too. I like the deep and monotone voice of the singer.

And here is something old, but obscure: Look Back in Anger was an early 80s goth rock band. Their sound is a typical mix of late 70s punk and early goth (as it was quite usual at that time, ca.  around 1981). I totally love the guitar playing and the vocalist is amazing. It‘s really a shame that they didn‘t last so long and only had a very few realeses.

^ Cool mentions! Lebanon Hanover are fantastic, minimal and totally bleak. They just released their new album, as good as anything else they've done so far!

This other band sounds kickass too, I'm gonna have to look into them later. :)

Sixx - Sister Devil is a very good release. Goth/death rock band that formed after the death of cult black metal band Von back in the early 80's, with the three member of Von that was involved in the legendary Satanic Blood release. Sound-wise they're basically the goth/death rock version of Von. Evil stuff. Didn't get a roper release before 2009, thouugh, but it was a well-deserved one.

The whole demo/EP is out here: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/sister-devil

Minny Pops

I don't know that many minimal wave bands but this one has grasped me very deeply.

I can't explain... whole album is amazing!

give it a listen and see if it catches you.

Y'all able to help a bro out and recommend me some slept on post-punk bands with more of a 'funky'/dub-influenced sound in the lieu of 'Speaking in Tongues'-era Talking Heads or The Pop Group?

"Death In Venice" are recommended. 

Really good post-punk/gothic rock band from the 80s.

"BRANES" are a really cool find too.

Newer duo unit, with the 80s inspired new wave thing going on.

And here is something old, but obscure: Look Back in Anger was an early 80s goth rock band. Their sound is a typical mix of late 70s punk and early goth (as it was quite usual at that time, ca.  around 1981). I totally love the guitar playing and the vocalist is amazing. It‘s really a shame that they didn‘t last so long and only had a very few realeses.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting this, I need to check them out. : >

Some more recommendations:

Der Deutsche Adel (Germany, mid-80s)

They recorded only one untitled LP in 1984 in Düsseldorf, Germany which was released in Germany and France only. The members were from Germany and Czechoslovakia.

Surrealistic MEN (Japan, around 86-87)

Information on them is scarce, but as I could find out the members also played in quite a few more well known bands like AUTO-MOD, SADIE SADS and EX-ANS among others.