Jigsaw9

Post-punk / New wave / Goth / Deathrock

On 06.03.2017 at 0:46 AM, Kaya-Rose-Addict said:

Otto Dix

Is a talentless female transvestite with some badly mixed synths from Russia.

Fixed it for you

Whispering Sons are a bretty gud Belgian post-punk unit

What this word needs is a few bands to walk into the footsteps of Samhain. I want more albums similar to Initium, Unholy Passion and Samhain III: November-Coming-Fire. Three very different and unique albums. Nothing come close to these as far as deathrock goes.

But I've read some good things about Son of Sam and how their early stuff sounds a bit like Samhain. They have some members and ex-members of Samhain and Danzig as well.

I'd also love to hear more bands similar to Sixx. They took the evil, stripped down sounds of black metal cult Von and turned it into deathrock. Such a cool release.

Edited by Bear

On 7.3.2017 at 6:44 PM, Tokage said:

Whispering Sons are a bretty gud Belgian post-punk unit

Agree, they are very cool!

Some more old and obscurer stuff (and slightly more punk/deathrock:

Arch Criminals - In the Shadow of a tree

Brain Damage and Death - Jesus Christ

Burning Image - Time is Running Out

Actifed - Innocent

Gloria Mundi - Glory of the World

The Naked and the Dead - Taboo

^ Oooh these are nice, thanks for the additions!

Currently spinnin' some cool Italian throwback-deathrock accompanied by beers, feels good man

Btw, I've been listening to a lot of youtube/spotify/whatever mixes lately trying to find great bands (goes for all genres, especially trap, psytrance, disco and such where it's more about single songs than albums), but no matter how many deathrock/darkwave/post-punk/goth rock mixes I listen to I never find any deathrock bands that's hard enough. I want bands like Samhain, with that punky/hardcore attitude, but no-one really comes close. All are a lot softer and play more on atmosphere.

Give me deathrock in the vein of Samhain for fuck sake.

17 minutes ago, Bear said:

Give me deathrock in the vein of Samhain for fuck sake.

I'm not too familiar with Samhain (save for a few songs), but here's some gutsier stuff:

Anasazi (they are one of my absolute favorites)

Spoiler

Slimy Member

Spoiler

Cadaver em Transe

Spoiler

Cemetery

Spoiler

Some of these are kinda closer to anarcho-punk actually, but whatever.

Edited by Jigsaw9

^well, no wonder since goth rock and deathrock are not the same or as strongly affilated to hardrock or hardcore and historically most wavers and goths hated anything heavy or metal-ish. I also always felt that Samhain was more of a Horror Punk band that also happens to draw influence from deathrock, but isn't necessarily a pure deathrock band itself.

Most of the current wave of post-punk groups are also imitating the more psychedelic and classic early 80s stuff. The heavier goth stuff was a product of the 90s, but maybe a 90s revival happens soon, who knows.

You might however be lucky if you search for some goth inspired metal acts, such as groups similar to Lock Howl, Wailin Storms or Alaric. Jigsaw also posted a few suggestions and these are really the ones that come the closest to "goth and heavy". 

A few new songs:

Oh right, Alaric are amazing too! Heavy as fuck too. I somehow always forget about them when the topic is deathrock and such, cuz they seem to do their own thing.

@Ikna That Ritual Order track sounds awesome as hell, thanks for the recc! :D 

Edited by Jigsaw9

1 hour ago, Ikna said:

^well, no wonder since goth rock and deathrock are not the same or as strongly affilated to hardrock or hardcore and historically most wavers and goths hated anything heavy or metal-ish. I also always felt that Samhain was more of a Horror Punk band that also happens to draw influence from deathrock, but isn't necessarily a pure deathrock band itself.

No one have said that deathrock and goth rock are the same as far as I can see. Not sure where you've read that. The reason I wrote "deathrock/darkwave/post-punk/goth rock mixes" is because the majority of the mixes I find includes two or more of these subgenres. I don't think I've found a single mix that's all deathrock. It's always mixed up with other genres, like post-punk, goth rock, darwave and whatever, and even then there's barely any deathrock to be found. It's usually just post-punk/darkwave/goth rock, with maybe a couple of deathrock tracks if you're lucky.

And I don't think you can deny the fact that Samhain is a deathrock band. It's not exactly a hidden fact or something that they are, in fact, a deathrock band.

Are Samhain closer to hardcore than most other deathrock bands? Sure. Does that mean they're not a deathrock band? No, not at all. Saying that Samhain isn't a deathrock band is like saying that Darkthrone's "A Blaze in the Northern Sky" isn't a black metal album because there's a shitload of death metal riffing and druming throughout the album. Yet it's considered one of the best and more importantly one of the purest black metal albums of all time. Becuase it's fully possible to be inspired by other genres, include lots of elements of these genres, and still be genre X. It's very natural, very usual.

I wish pain upon anyone who tries to tell me that Samhain III: November-Coming-Fire isn't a deathrock album. What an album btw.

But I will check out these tracks posted. See if I find something to my liking. Thanks for the recs!

Edited by Bear

Also, I totally forgot Rudimentary Peni (especially the later stuff), but you probably know them already. Tho I'm always on the fence with them genre-wise, they might be more hardcore punk. But they sure had some weird crazy dark experimentation going on now and then.

Edited by Jigsaw9

And I didn't mean to indicate that you have said they are the same. I am sorry if that came over as such. I was just trying to illustrate a possible reason for the lack of "heavy" bands in goth, especially in the current scene which is far more focused on recycling the 80s than 90s (which def had a few heavier bands, see Rosetta Stone, Catherines Cathedral, Angina Pectoris and even the Nephilim).

Heavy isn't really what most people in the self proclaimed "trad goth" scene listen to and that is reflected by the playlists you see on the net and the styles of music new bands play. 

Was not stating it as a fact, that Samhain aren't a deathrock band, I said I FEEL they are more punk, which is my subjective opinion. Deathrock they are indeed, but they also mix a lot of other influences. They aren't a "pure" deathrock (as in that they only play straight deathrock) band in my own book, hence they also sound so different than any other bands of the genre. And that may be why you would likely not find something that truly compares to them.

I also have to add that I am not very well versed with their disco (as well as the Misfits' and Danzig in general) and most of the people in my local goth and deathrock circle seem to prefer other bands, such Christian Death (very cliché, but what can you do since Rozz has reached icon status in the scene), the Screaming Dead, Burning Image and most of those "deathrock revival" bands (funnily enough, they all love Rudimentary Peni for some reason). My knowledge about Samhain may thus be limited, but you are always free to correct me (I did for example never listen completely to that album you posted). 

But all of that again reflects how much goffs don't curr about heavy stuff (and are rather stuck in the 80s). And my guess is, that you will likely find more bands of that style when you focus more on the metal and hardcore end of the music spectrum. Alaric for example I stumbled upon by mere accident, they were not supported or advertised by people I follow (who mostly listen to Joy Division clones), but by metal blogs.

Do you people know the CVLT nation website? They write mostly about dark music, no matter the genre, inclding sections dedicated to deathrock, metal, post-punk, etc. In my experience their deathrock section features a whole lot more of these style cross-over bands. 

Such as these groups:

Also maybe you don't know this yet; this album of the band is often labeled as Hardcore/deathrock.

Not sure if these have already been mentioned in this thread:

Pinkish Black, Anasazi, Rakta, Secta, Deathcharge, Deth Crux, Death Index

^These are all of the punkier and heavier bands I know the top of my head.

Since I have already mentioned Alaric, there is also a band called Atriarch and they play doom metal mixed with deathrock influences.

Also I recommend to check out bands from the blackened shoegaze/Blackgaze scene. There seems to be a recent trend there to combine blackgaze with doom metal and add hardcore (and deathrock) elements.

Maybe this helps :D

Ah, ok. My bad.

Yeah, early Samhain feels very punky, but then againd deathrock did evolve from punk and is a subgenre of punk. And Samhain isn't the only band who sound punky. It's not like a classic deathrock album like Only Theatre of Pain isn't punky, because it sure does have a strong punk feeling to it. Which again is very natural. But on Samhain's first few releases they kinda took the sound of Misfits into a darker, grittier and more atmospheric direction, starting to move away from the traditional punk/hardcore sound of Misfits. But 45 Grave are also knows as a classic deathrock bands, and it's another band that is heavily rooted in punk.

And what exactly is pure deathrock, or what does it mean to play straight deathrock? Christian Death also have clear influences from other genres and subgenres, but no one would deny that they, and a masterpiece like Only Theatre of Pain, are deathrock as pure, straight, true, whatever worse you'd choose, as it gets.

And Samhain are a 80's band with an 80's sound, btw. So if the scene is more focused on recycling the 80s than 90s then it wouldn't be totally unlikely that someone would create something in the vein of Samhain. :P

But when I do search for new deathrock bands I usually look for bands who are heavily connected to hardcore than gothic rock or pust-punk. So in that sense I know what I am looking for.

I had to search up Deathcharge+deathrock because I know a brazilian Deathcharge (who recently changed their name to DeathSlaüghter) and imidietely thought you were talking of them, which I through was odd as they play black/speed/hardcore/doom metal heavily inspired by Vulcano, Sabbat, Venom, Warfare, Discharge, Apokalyptic Raids and so on.

^ Gotta love Grave Pleasures. Can't wait for the new album! Should be pretty rockin'.

Also, I randomly stumbled upon this band, and..uhmm.......yeahhh.

On 8/1/2017 at 3:13 AM, Takadanobabaalien said:

Been listening to swedish female-fronted Makthaverskan (post-punk/indie(?)). They call themselves death pop, but there's clearly post-punk influences.

Their first two albums are great, really loving this song

Aren't they dropping a new album soon?