Champ213

Any old school bands?

On 7/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, secret_no_03 said:

Looking for bands like ロマン急行 or I guess you'd say punk visual kei bands?

well, there's like a 99.9999% chance you know of Sex-Android, but if you don't... Sex-Android

I'm looking for old, edgy grimdark vk after vk kind of evolved away from 80s speed metal territory, but (here's the important part) before western nu-metal/alternative metal influences started creeping in. Basically, not too soft, but no chugga chugga riffs.

for reference, I like Deshabillz, Madeth Gray'll, old(!) Dir en Grey, Aliene Maφriage, La'Mule, Cali Gari when they had their second singer, Genkaku Allergy and some others. I find that sort of mix of over-the-top melodrama and quasi-punk aggression compelling.
There's probably a huge chunk of late 90s stuff that fits the bill. Besides what I named, what's the cream of the crop?

Edited by hopefully_benign

Is anyone really familiar with Tenten/Taira Kazuhiro's bands and could recommend some of his stuff? I used to really like Chemical Pictures but fell off with following his bands after that. He has a really unique voice that I always liked and I wanted to see if any of his more recent bands were any good but I'm not too sure where to start.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:44 AM, hopefully_benign said:

I'm looking for old, edgy grimdark vk after vk kind of evolved away from 80s speed metal territory, but (here's the important part) before western nu-metal/alternative metal influences started creeping in. Basically, not too soft, but no chugga chugga riffs.

for reference, I like Deshabillz, Madeth Gray'll, old(!) Dir en Grey, Aliene Maφriage, La'Mule, Cali Gari when they had their second singer, Genkaku Allergy and some others. I find that sort of mix of over-the-top melodrama and quasi-punk aggression compelling.
There's probably a huge chunk of late 90s stuff that fits the bill. Besides what I named, what's the cream of the crop?

I'm not too familiar with their stuff but Merry Go Round always seemed like a seminal "dark" 90's band.

There's also Orgel who fall right in line with Madeth Gray'll, and Kc+loid which you might like as well. I always feel like the gist of this stuff was released in 2000/2001 rather than the 90's proper by the way so you might have some chance digging just sliiightly further down the line (basically right before the genre went full nu metal/UCP style)

On 8/25/2019 at 9:22 AM, Manabu said:

Ling Tosite Sigure fans, whats the best album to start with?

Haven't listened to them in a while but Telecastic Fake Show was SOMETHING in my playlist ... 

I dunno. I wrote a big text here at first but then I deleted everything and I just wanna say, please recommend me vk bands that speak to my soul as much as Amai Bouryoku

I kind of like/d GIGAMOUS, CLOWD, Moran, Nightmare, A9, Acme, La'veil Mizeria, Leetspeak monsters , HOLYCLOCK, Vivarush and Neverland from the top of my mind ... my preferred style is probably "we're all nostalgic aesthetic bitches from 2000's vk scene" . Thanks for suggesting!

2 hours ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

What’s a good Greiva album or single to start with?

Apart from "Oni to kage" I really recommend their mini album "Mousou shugisha no haitoku.", it's some of their best stuff imo.

So for a few years on my interest to finding music I've come across many varietys especially Japanese music but most of the bands I found have bland lyrics repeated guitar riffs styles and so on which only a few I actually liked ( An cafe, Kra etc.) I've later decided to look at more older ones from late 2000s and I've found a lot I've liked and wanted more some of these are bands like CLOUD Zipang Missing tear and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to some fresh bands