Champ213

Any old school bands?

6 hours ago, Carmelzors said:

One of my go-to albums in "Japanese equivalent to Fantomas" should be up your alley as well:

Reveal hidden contents

Kinda familiar sound if you know a bit about John Zorn's production and  maybe some other kinda-popular zeuhl outfits (does Bondage Fruit ring any bells? You should get familiar with the whole zeuhl genre since it is pretty much "Fantomas-core" - proggier yet similarly noisy)

To provide further examples on why you should seek things you cited in this genre: Tatsuya Yoshida's catalogue (Ruins, Koenjihyakkei etc. etc.) - very abrasive, noisy, at parts might be reminiscent of various acts - even Boris at some small parts.

Reveal hidden contents

If you seek Boris-tier sludgy, noisy stuff, consult these Steve Albini-approved noise metal guys:

Reveal hidden contents

These guys on the other hand are pretty much proto-Boris - the hell, their main Japanese influence I think?

Reveal hidden contents

I may have seen Aunt Sally and Cali-gari mentioned in the same context due to their frank similarity (well, influence or not, the hell I know), but you may enjoy Aunt Sally too:

Reveal hidden contents

Greatest recommendation in M-H history!!! Can't wait to check these out seriously especially "P.ON.". Also I'm very familiar with "John Zorn" but not the "zeuhl" genre but I'll certainly be sure to try start listening and familiarize myself. Perhaps then we can further discuss music of this sort in the future.

Edited by sume7

6 hours ago, sume7 said:

Greatest recommendation in M-H history!!! Can't wait to check these out seriously especially "P.ON.". Also I'm very familiar with "John Zorn" but not the "zeuhl" genre but I'll certainly be sure to try start listening and familiarize myself. Perhaps then we can further discuss music of this sort in the future.

Have fun while you explore all of that - it takes even weeks before you could assess what exactly clicks in your case there.

Also:

Spoiler

If CG are something you adore due to their quirkiness and abrasiveness, Yapoos and anything Jun Togawa should be your jams as well. Beware though: female vocals you either hate or love somewhat, lol.

Otome Yoshihide (the main guy behind this work) used to work with Patton (Fantomas) on various occasions. So expect yourself to enjoy this as well if you want something similarly psychotic like take say, Delirium Cordia.

I hope you all can help me discover some new bands. As I've stated elsewhere, I stopped keeping up with V-kei a few years ago and now that I'm back in Japan, I'm realizing that many of my old favorites are disbanded and I am woefully ignorant of most current bands that were created in recent years. To give you an idea of my taste, my absolute favorite band is Merry. Other older bands that I like include Matenrou Opera, SID, Alice Nine, Dolly, Doremidan, Dollis Marry, Nega, Sadie, Jack Rose, Exist Trace, Mucc, Nightmare, Pierrot, Mask, Despairs Ray, and D.  I have started listening to two newer bands recently: 0.1g no Gosan and Xaa Xaa

Generally, I like music with complex and intricate instrumentals that isn't too growl-y or overly scream-y (though I actually love screams, just not when they are used too much because I find that annoying). If there is something distinctive about the music, all the better! For example, Merry's blues influence or Dolly's carnivalesque early stuff. I am not really fond of a lot of Dir en Grey and Gazette stuff, with some exceptions. I love when Kyo sings primarily (because I think his singing voice is wonderful), so I really like songs like Ain't Afraid to Die, Garden and The Final. For Gazette, I'm a little picky and prefer their early stuff, especially songs like Tokyo Shinjuu, Miseinen and Cassis. If a band has some really beautiful, sad ballads, I really want to hear about them too!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sparrow
refining some ideas

On 2017/1/30 at 4:16 AM, SadMoomin said:

I highly recommend Xaa xaa if some of you guys are missing that old school sound and want a ''Nostalgic'' feeling.

For some reason this song sounds somewhat "recent"/gives me Vidoll vibes. IDK maybe it's just me.

Edited by jaymee

Anyone have recommendations for djent or any heavy, rhythm sections mixed clean/scream vocals? I've really been enjoying anything with low tunings and polyrhythms lately.

On 4/9/2017 at 4:55 AM, Sparrow said:

I hope you all can help me discover some new bands. As I've stated elsewhere, I stopped keeping up with V-kei a few years ago and now that I'm back in Japan, I'm realizing that many of my old favorites are disbanded and I am woefully ignorant of most current bands that were created in recent years. To give you an idea of my taste, my absolute favorite band is Merry. Other older bands that I like include Matenrou Opera, SID, Alice Nine, Dolly, Doremidan, Dollis Marry, Nega, Sadie, Jack Rose, Exist Trace, Mucc, Nightmare, Pierrot, Mask, Despairs Ray, and D.  I have started listening to two newer bands recently: 0.1g no Gosan and Xaa Xaa

Generally, I like music with complex and intricate instrumentals that isn't too growl-y or overly scream-y (though I actually love screams, just not when they are used too much because I find that annoying). If there is something distinctive about the music, all the better! For example, Merry's blues influence or Dolly's carnivalesque early stuff. I am not really fond of a lot of Dir en Grey and Gazette stuff, with some exceptions. I love when Kyo sings primarily (because I think his singing voice is wonderful), so I really like songs like Ain't Afraid to Die, Garden and The Final. For Gazette, I'm a little picky and prefer their early stuff, especially songs like Tokyo Shinjuu, Miseinen and Cassis. If a band has some really beautiful, sad ballads, I really want to hear about them too!

Thanks in advance!

I wonder if anyone would have any electronic visual kei music to recommend? I've been listening to Schwarz Stein quite a lot lately and I really like their style, especially songs like Last hallucination, Lilith and Fleeting beauty are really to my liking. So, I'd kinda want to find more stuff like that, but I don't really know where to search. ^^'

20 minutes ago, chocobuzz said:

I wonder if anyone would have any electronic visual kei music to recommend? I've been listening to Schwarz Stein quite a lot lately and I really like their style, especially songs like Last hallucination, Lilith and Fleeting beauty are really to my liking. So, I'd kinda want to find more stuff like that, but I don't really know where to search. ^^'

I'd try Far East Dizain: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by sume7

Could anyone recommend me an album from Aimer to start out with? I've seen that the latest output was highly acclaimed by almost everyone so I would want to get some recommendations knowing I never listened anything from the artist. 

I'm looking for some soft-kei stuff like L'Arc, Glay, La'cryma Christi and etc

I tried SOPHIA, but it's almost impossible to find anything by them in the internet

also, where to start in PENICILLIN's discography?

On 10/15/2017 at 8:35 PM, pedro217 said:

Try this:

Can anyone recommend me some good songs from Satsuki's solo project? 

I know a lot of people make fun of his solo project, but I'm wondering if he does have any other good songs bedsides the apocalypse mini album

I'm not sure it exists but if anyone knows any vk albums that are like a more chaotic version of Dum Spiro Spero or Ousia, please let me know (no deathcore).

Also are there any vk bands that have experimented with harsh noise or power electronics?

Does div have any other songs like death game?

On 10/15/2017 at 8:35 PM, pedro217 said:

I'm looking for some soft-kei stuff like L'Arc, Glay, La'cryma Christi and etc

I tried SOPHIA, but it's almost impossible to find anything by them in the internet

I would try getting into Shazna and Baiser. 

Edited by Reiko

Heya everyone, I joined the community a while ago but I kinda just lurk because I don't really know how to get involved in the community.

It seems really great and I'm super happy to be a part of it, and I want to get more involved and get to know people! XD

I wasn't sure how so I figured maybe I could start by asking for Jrock/metal/any Japanese music really recommendations. 

I've always liked Jrock/metal/pop you name it, I just felt I've barely scratched the surface and everyone here seems to know so much more than I do so anything would be

really appreciated!

Thank you XD

What kind of bands do you currently listen to? Depending on what you currently know, I can recommend some similar, and/or connected artists.

3 hours ago, AimiGen7 said:

What kind of bands do you currently listen to? Depending on what you currently know, I can recommend some similar, and/or connected artists.

Thanks for the reply! Old school stuff mostly, I'm really behind on new stuff. Girugamesh, Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer, Gazette, Maximum the Hormone, Mucc, Gakt, Versailles

Just giving a shout out to the staff who put together a seasonal recommendations list, idk if you checked it out or not, but if you haven't you might find some good stuff in there. ;)

44 minutes ago, ghata said:

Thanks for the reply! Old school stuff mostly, I'm really behind on new stuff. Girugamesh, Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer, Gazette, Maximum the Hormone, Mucc, Gakt, Versailles

Hey, I don't know if you like Power Metal like J-Rock in general, but I would recommend to add Galneryus, Concerto Moon, Gunbridge, GYZE, Kelly Simonz's Blind Faith, Liv Moon, maybe Onmyōza and Yousei Teikoku to your list. Not every single band is pure Visual Kei, but the music is really good and worth listen to ;)

37 minutes ago, doombox said:

Just giving a shout out to the staff who put together a seasonal recommendations list, idk if you checked it out or not, but if you haven't you might find some good stuff in there. ;)

I haven't! thanks for the link :D