Champ213

Any old school bands?

Hi! I'm looking for some good japanese indie rock and post-hardcore bands.

Are there any bands that you already know?

No ):

what about metalcore, deathcore or electronicore?

here you go.

Her Name In Blood (deathcore)

ArtemA (electronicore)

Ashley Scared The Sky (electronic deathcore)

Sever Black Paranoia (trancecore)

Translations (electronicore)

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (electronicore)

Crossfaith (electronic metalcore)

SILENT DIFFERENCE (blackened death metal / progressive metalcore)

Fear From The Hate (trancecore)

キバオブアキバ (electronicore / alternative metal)

and some visual kei...

Lynch (alternative metalcore)

CodeRebirth (alternative metalcore)

meth. (alternative metalcore)

Nocturnal Bloodlust (some symphonic and synth influenced deathcore)

Deathgaze (alternative metal / melodic death metal / metalcore)

these are my ever listened bands.

Hi! I'm looking for some good japanese indie rock and post-hardcore bands.

For Indie/indie sounding try these.

Art-School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baS_avowVWo

The Novembers

Tokyo Shoegazer 

Supercar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UljBmNsCeVs

Ling Tosite Sigure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4SVb8ZoIU

I was wondering if anyone could point me in to any bands in a similar vein as Sugar...that kind of dark, groovy, and jazz-tinged rock. I know we have Loki's solo project, König, but other than that, I got nothing.

I finally got around to listening to baroque and was totally blown away by their album "sug life". The kind of eclectic sound with a mix of pop/ambient/shoegaze elements certainly doesn't sound 2004 at all. Anyone can recommend bands that have a similar kind of sound?

Separately I'm looking for bands with unpretentious, clean vocals with straightforward, fuss-free melodic lines such as SINCREA. It's surprisingly hard to find another band like them in vk..

Thanks in advance :D

So I'm into anime and stuff and thus when I first got teh internet I met a lot of girls who were crazy about Gackt and Malice Mizer and whatnot.
 MM and Mana's subsequent act Moi dix Mois have been teh two Japanese bands I listen to most. I like MdM but I enjoyed Gackt-era Malice Mizer's sound. It's softer and sweeter than their last album or the more full on Goth metal Moi dix Mois employs.

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a visual kei band with a similar sound to MM in Merveilles? I was thinking maybe Oshare Kei could be my thing since it's supposed to be the lighter, poppier type of VK. What are some good Oshare Kei bands then?

Malice Mizer and Oshare Kei in the same request post? XD

Are you asking for a band that sounds like Malice Mizer and is Oshare Kei, or one a band that sounds like Malice Mizer and an Oshare kei band?

The second one. A band with the softer sound of Gackt MM or an oshare kei band since I haven't heard anything by an Oshare artist and I want to try.

Really I'm just trying to find some more Vk bands to listen to. Broaden my horizons so to speak.

I just discovered "Drastic Will" and expected something generic.

Turns out this is actually pretty cool for their first song! Rather refreshing sound for a VK band!

That was surprisingly different and kind of enjoyable...I had a hard time getting over the vocalist's voice though lol.

It's very good for an oshare-kei band. I know the singer's voice is a bit hard to get used to. But I'd rather listen to him than Gackt's voice (personal opinion). If Gackt's voice and MM old-fashioned synth sound are what that person is looking for, that is not similar. But for a poppy oshare-kei band, that's worth a try.

I'm just searching for the most critically acclaimed Japanese music of 2013. What albums were generally considered the best?

I've been feeling nostalgic for that period in 2008/9 where I could download random VK releases and they'd be something I'd listen to. Whether it was stuff like early Nega or Dali or Unsraw or Sadie or Devise en Despair or Black:List or D'espairsRay or VanessA or Saruin or Sel'm. Anyone know anything reflective of that era? I'm after that 2003-2009 style. The stuff that was heavy but not particularly over-heavy. None of the post-hardcore stuff that's popular now. Preferably EPs but I'll take albums if they're really good.

And if you could PM them to me...that would be great. I don't get a lot of time here to check.

can anyone help me with some bands similar to ROACH, HARVEST, Rikugo, Oto-oni and Wagakki Band?
I know their not that much similar with each other but I think you understand the concept, the traditional stuff and the ryukyu kind of singing style.
please?

can anyone help me with some bands similar to ROACH, HARVEST, Rikugo, Oto-oni and Wagakki Band?

I know their not that much similar with each other but I think you understand the concept, the traditional stuff and the ryukyu kind of singing style.

please?

音影 (Otokage) maybe?

Hey everyone,

Could you recommend some VK artists to me?  I tend to like the non-screaming bands (^_^)

My favs are GACKT, X Japan, Versailles, and Luna Sea.  I would prefer bands that have their music readily available on iTunes, etc. as well.

Looking to expand my knowledge a bit!  Thanks!

Judging from that list I'm going to link a few favourites of my own. I would definitely say BUCK-TICK at first, they're one of the guys that definitely belong on that list:

They've been around for about 27 years now, and it's hard to give them a label in general as they've experimented A LOT. There's bound to be one of their 19 (?) albums that you will like. If you don't know where to start, watching one of their live performances will probably give an idea of what you like. They're one of those bands that are live even better than on CD and their drummer is still rocking the mohawk, how cool is that?

DEAD END is a must as well; they've been pioneers when it comes to VK. I wouldn't call them VK (more like glam metal) but they definitely inspired a lot of VK artists.

Their vocalist is fantastic btw, probably one of my favourite singers.

I'd also say (even though they have a complete different vibe than the other artists on your list but they were just fantastic) 9GOATS BLACK OUT. They've disbanded last year (or was it the year before that) but their entire discography is incredibly solid. If you want to give them a try, start at their first mini; devils in bedside.

Another disbanded favourite of mine is A. They weren't around for long (about 3 years) but their stuff is really really good. If you like theatrics, give them a shot.

That's all from me, really. I haven't been into VK that much anymore but these are the four artists that survived my "VK cleaning" from a few months ago. I hope this post was useful to you!

Thanks for those ideas.  I like em all, but right off the bat I'd say I like DEAD END and BUCK-TICK best.  I gotta check out more :)

I decided to do what I used to do when I bought CDs in a CD shop years ago.  I would just buy randomly if the artwork was cool, or if a couple samples grabbed my attention.  I bought Versailles' "Versailles" album and Jupiter's "Classical Element".  I like Versailles a lot, and I need to listen to Jupiter more, but I like it so far.

Also picked up NIGHTMARE's "SCUMS" album