Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

The Miscellaneous Music Discussion Thread!

Have some music you'd like to talk about, but not quite sure where to post about it? Then this thread is for you! This topic will be used for the discussion of all of the genres and artists that don't have enough fans here to warrant threads of their own. Feel free to use this thread to talk about any music that you feel wouldn't fit into existing topics or probably don't have enough fans to deserve it's own topic. Old or new, it doesn't matter.

-

I guess I'll kick things off.

I'm really excited for some of the modern/"neo"-soul releases coming out. The new Hiatus Kaiyote album "Choose Your Weapon" just dropped this month and it's brilliant, though a bit lengthy @ 18 tracks. Still among the best records I've heard this year so far.

61-atxl1.jpg

Some great tracks from the album:

Lianne la Havas just released the music video for "unstoppable" - from her upcoming 2nd album "Blood", set to be released on July 31st. It's sounding super lovely so far. I hope she hasn't ditched the guitar entirely - either way, I have extremely high hopes for this record.

tumblr_nn48yo8Ut81ro7cy3o1_500.jpg

Bilal is dropping a new album called "In Another Life" in June, and a new track from it is now streamable via NPR:

hires_r_058_bilal_photographerkawaimatth

This first taste of his soon-to-be-released collaborative album with producer Adrian Younge, In Another Life, finds Bilal bearing witness to our tumultuous times and basically asking Marvin Gaye's famous question, "What's going on?" But here, over Younge's signature psychedelic soul production, Bilal is both a repentant participant and outsider observing humanity's strange, self-destructive ways from a distance.

Ethereal wah-wah guitars, almost funerary organs, and break beat-ready drums provide the perfect accompaniment for Bilal's musings and vocal gymnastics, which go from cooing to shrieking like an R&B Thom Yorke.

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/12/406162374/songs-we-love-bilal-satellites?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20150512

It sounds dope so far, but knowing Bilal, the album will likely veer off into the left field somewhere. Looking forward to it, though!

Nice topic, Cat!

I remember when you introduced Lianne La Havas a few years back. I checked her out and enjoyed her guitar stuff, but it didn't really stick with me. This new song, however... Hot damn. GORGEOUS! It's got such a great vibe to it. Musically, it kind of reminds me of something Kimbra might do, with that spacey funk feel. Lianne's vocals are a lot different though (much richer! Sorry, Kimbra bb!) You got me looking forward to her new album, bruh!

Speaking of Kimbra, I see you there Bilal. "Shrieking like an R&B Thom Yorke" is not that far off, hehe.

Actually, all three of these are really cool! Thanks for sharing!

Moodoïd is a French psychedelic band, led by guitarist/vocalist Pablo Padovani. If anyone is familiar with Melody's Echo Chamber, Pablo apparently plays guitar for that project as well. Their album Le monde möö was on my 2014 AOTY list. They've only released that, their 2013 self-titled EP, and a new single this year, so if you haven't been following them, you can easily catch up. Their compositions are really interesting and their imagery/videos are very... creative? If you're ready to get weird, give Moodoïd a try!

moodoid%20band%20pic_zpsqiga6in1.jpg

Tele Novella is a new discovery for me, but their style probably isn't a surprise for those that know my music taste--I love me some 60s-inspired indie pop. This band, from the Austin indie scene, keeps it interesting with a sllightly mysterious/psychedelic tinge. To complete the package, charismatic guitarist/vocalist Natalie Ribbons, whose ex-band

I have one person I've never commented about in a post before so... hehe. ^^;;

Matt Berry

Berry is an actor and comedian, as well as a singer! He writes his own songs and has released a good looking discography, including five studio albums. His songs are funny, cheesy and really sweet too. x3 His voice is a true highlight in any TV show/movie he's in, including his music work. It's unbelievably smooth and distinctive even if he's not putting it on! If you're in a chill mood and wanting something in between a well done perfomance and a joke (on a serious note, his music is rather folky genre wise), I can't recommend his charming stuff enough!

MB.jpg

Moodoïd

Alina Baraz

I tried "Urban Flora" by Alina Baraz & Galimatias and it was really great - not really a bad track on it. Very chill and mood-setting. Certainly one of the coolest things I've heard this year!

I've also got Moodoid on my list of things to get to eventually, but they seem really promising!

Lianne's album has been out for a little bit now. I only listened once, but I remember it being decent...I need to give it another go, though to see how I feel about it.

Also, a Joanna Newsom album in on the way! "Divers":

01 Anecdotes

02 Sapokanikan

03 Leaving the City

04 Goose Eggs

05 Waltz of the 101st Lightborne

06 The Things I Say

07 Divers

08 Same Old Man

09 You Will Not Take My Heart Alive

10 A Pin-Light Bent

11 Time, As a Symptom

http://pitchfork.com/news/59135-joanna-newsom-announces-new-album-divers-shares-sapokanikan-video/

Hiatus Kaiyote finally released a music video for "Breathing Underwater"! Absolutely ACE track and one it's one of the best I've heard all year. The Stevie influence is palpable!

Those looking for something quirky, yet very nostalgic and fittingly "cheesy" better check one of the bands I discovered through irl means (fellows/acquaintances...):

Horrorbilly/Horror surf/Surf punk act from Russia had their latest album out and it's hella nice BGM for your most thrilling midnight rides (in case you have to/managed to cross some grim, oddest corners of your hoods) :)

Frontman's earlier project on the other hand is basically a Sovietophile response to the whole Shibuya kei/sampling twee pop craze:

not sure if im doing this right.

until the ribbon breaks not sure of the genre and it seem that alot of acts in the states are doing this because teenwolfs music this season. I think they do it best, and i love how it's creepy yet full of love. And they broke me into the american market. 

also maybe brooke candy, but i guess she is hiphop/whatever she likes

runner up grimes

...And after a while, I'd love to mention something worth its massive hype - more thematic aspects and less lyrical pretentiousness from "Born to Die" (which unfortunately and metaphorically screams out some brat fooling around with B&W filter @Instagram), not to mention (possibly) a great continuation to the magnum opus that was her 2014 effort :) :

While guys are drooling over Chelsea Wolfe's 2015 gloom, I'd also favor something a bit lighter and more or less Newsom/Bush-ian: 

(while her lyrical visions are not really up my alley, the way she arranges her songs tingles my bi-characteristic listening senses)

In terms of Nipponese, this act's so fire that I feel utterly depressed over having little to no chances in getting their latest album:

THAT YMO-IAN APPROACH <3 TAPE REELS!!! Also: their TEDxTalk performance is one big must-check!

Also, really intending to check out on Snoop Dogg's latest FUNKAY effort - sour folks can freely pay attention elsewhere seeing as this is rather a welcome change on his part (while tunes might not hit solely, I might imagine the album being one heck of a feelgood BGM as whole). No need to worry about pseudo-gangsta merrymaking ^^;

regarding the new Lana album, it's been growing on me quite a bit. I'm a bigger fan of the second half of the album ("The Blackest Day", "24", "Salvatore"), but there's some good songs right in the beginning too ("Honeymoon", "High by the Beach" and "God Knows I Tried", which is possibly my favorite along with TBD). I like her other two albums better, though.

meanwhile, any Silversun Pickups fans here? their new album "Better Nature" leaked and it's incredibly good. 2012's "Neck of the Woods" was hard to get into as it was idk, dense as hell, but this one has a much lighter feel. I'm honestly enjoying every single song in my first listen and that's difficult to come across for me. here's one of the songs from it:

meanwhile, any Silversun Pickups fans here? their new album "Better Nature" leaked and it's incredibly good. 2012's "Neck of the Woods" was hard to get into as it was idk, dense as hell, but this one has a much lighter feel. I'm honestly enjoying every single song in my first listen and that's difficult to come across for me. here's one of the songs from it:

I don't think I've thought about Silversun Pickups in years... but I liked the first two records so maybe it's time to delve back in.

Good lookin' out!

"Neck of the Woods" was really my first time trying them, but I enjoyed that album a lot. I didn't even know they had a new one out, so thanks for that, I'll have to give it a try. The vocal melodies in that video remind me of winnie for some reason.

"Neck of the Woods" was really my first time trying them, but I enjoyed that album a lot. I didn't even know they had a new one out, so thanks for that, I'll have to give it a try. The vocal melodies in that video remind me of winnie for some reason.

NOTW wasn't bad at all, just not as catchy I think. But yeah, whenever they use the duo vocals, it always reminds me of winnie as well. :)

Tried the new Disclosure album today, and it was mostly forgettable. I did enjoy the track with Lorde, though. That'll probably get some repeats from me.

Aussie singer Ainslie Wills dropped a new EP recently which was pretty nice too. Super solid singer-songwriter/pop stuff

New Joanna Newsome was pleasant, but nothing incredible. I thought this track was superb, though!

The new Dråpe album was pretty great. Much more psyche influenced than shoegaze this time around:

Brazilian shoegaze:

Oh, man.I just discovered so many great artists in this topic. I wasn't aware of Hiatus Kaiyote and nothing from fitear1590's post. Thanks!

@CAT5: I'm not too familiar with Joanna, but that song was great indeed! Will check out her new album for sure.

@pedro217: I never stopped to think there might be Brazilian shoegaze bands lol but that song was actually rather pleasant. I'm in a rare mood of going after new Brazilian music to listen to (Maglore, although nothing new or groudbreaking, has been putting me in a good mood lately), so I'll give some other songs from Lupe de Lupe a shot.

@saishuu If you're still in the mood, these are two of my favorites by them:

I love these. If those are two guys about to kiss in the still for the second video, even better.

I'd love to watch them live here in Fortaleza if they ever come around Nordeste again. Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm glad to know we're from the same city. For your enthusiasm, there's even a shoegaze band from Fortaleza! http://maquinas.bandcamp.com/album/maquinas

And anyway, back to the topic....

I wonder when DIIV is gonna release their new record, "Is there are" not yet announced a release date, their new song is pretty good:

The first record by then, Oshin, is easy one of the best albums of the whole 2010s imo

cool

. Still have high hopes for her album.

[2]

Been spinning some instrumental jazz-fusion math rock-metal things lately, particularly:

...and looks like Javier Reyes from Animals As Leaders has a new solo album out under his Mestis moniker!

Sumerian records have a great rooster. 

And DIIV just released another new song:

The record will only come out in February. ;| this song is awersome

Sign in to follow this