Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

Recommended Tracks: April 2015

Mh's Best New Tracks: April  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the new categorized format?

• Nice! I like it better than the previous BNT posts!
    • It's alright, but I prefer the previous format.

Best New Tracks: April 2015

Best New Tracks is a new series brought to you by MH's Official Reviewers (ORZ)! Every month we'll be recommending brand-new Japanese songs from the recently passed month, so stay tuned! Feel free to comment or discuss any of this month's picks and even offer your own as well!

We're also trying out a new format this month, so let us know what you think! ; )

Visual Kei

"NONONON" by Anli Pollicino

albumartist

April ushers in the 4th release in this band's year of monthly digital releases. And it's definitely my favorite so far with a fun, dance worthy beat and a sprinkling of 80s synth pop we all grew to love from this band since their Dead Or Alive cover. This time they've layered it with an infectious guitar groove and funky record scratches. Again, Anli Pollicino create an addictive song I'll jam along to all season long. And so should you.

-

"猿 (Saru)" by BugLug

albumartist

Following up some rather strong singles, BugLug didn't disappoint with the level of quality songs on their album. One of my favorites was "猿", the 3 and a half minute party jam about living wild and carefree, just like a monkey (saru)! Most of the song is fairly straight forward, but it's only meant to lull you into a false sense of security before the plot twist of a sway-worthy reggae break really shows BugLug's diversity and adventurous spirit. It's a fun trip you won't regret, unless the urge to dance completely overwhelms you in public. However, I'm positive BugLug would approve!

-

"LOCUS" by Far East Dizain

albumartist

I've been super excited for this band since its creation was announced, being a forever bitter DELUHI stan and sad that Leda's UNDIVIDE project didn't last longer. After listening to the two-track EP, "LOCUS" definitely stood out to me as the more cohesive of the two. It has Leda and Sujk's heavy hitting guitar and drums mixed with some bleep-y bloop-y electronic additions that fit really well with the vocals. However, if you are looking for DELUHI 2.0 move right along because this is not it and I don't think it ever will be. If these guys continue on the path that "LOCUS" has started I have a feeling they'll be another heavy hitter in the VK scene.

- @fictioninhope

"灰色の森 (Haiiro no mori)" by My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND

albumartist

The one ballad track of their newest mini-album, '灰色の森' stands out for its solidness and catchiness. With small trinkles of piano keys, it's a hypnotising listen from start to finish. Instruments work and meld together effortlessly into a melodic tune alongside Tenten's emotional delivery. It's definitely the breakthrough point in 'MIMIC.'

- @beni

"au revoir" by Nimo

albumartist

Covering MALICE MIZER always seems to be risky business. D made it their own, Moran was passable but forgettable, and let's not even talk about the disaster that was Misaruka's cover. With "au revoir," Nimo, ex-vocalist of A (エース), undertook the difficult task of covering my favorite Gackt-era track. I was afraid until I heard the first preview! Despite mostly sticking to the blueprint of the original, he downplayed the violin and went for a slightly rockier approach; somehow, this puts an unexpected, but welcome twist on this flawless song. While I wasn't a huge fan of him in A, I must admit he delivers silky smooth vocals here. As far as I'm concerned, he has my permission to cover the entire Merveilles album!

- @fitear1590

"蕾 (Tsubomi)" by SCAPEGOAT

albumartist

This song is a wonderfully dark and romantic ballad. I was surprised to hear them change gears and do something in this vein so well when they are predominantly known for their heavier work, but SCAPEGOAT have grown in leaps and bounds in their 6 years together. "蕾" is a direct reflection of that. It flows along with increasing emotional intensity and never feels like it drags or stalls out. It all culminates in a song worthy to be a staple in anyone's playlist.

-

"SPiCA SPHiA" by パノラマ虚構ゼノン (XENON)

albumartist

XENON was one of my random downloads this month and what a surprise it was! The title track of the single "LIQUID" is heavy and features some cool instrumental parts, but ultimately suffers injuries sustained from out-of-the-blue chorus syndrome. This b-side is the more balanced composition. While I'm not sure if this band is actually signed to Danger Crue or not, this track reminds me of DIV, featuring pleasantly spacey synths and healthy mix of heavy and mellow pop-rock sections. Especially considering DIV's underwhelming recent album, I needed this! After this single, I'm ready to go back and see if I've missed any other treasures in XENON's discography.

- @fitear1590

"九尾 (kyuubi)" by 己龍 (kiryu)

albumartist

Kiryu's latest single was titled after Japan's mythical 9-tailed fox "九尾(kyuubi)" and released in 10 different types. The title track is frantic and thoroughly intense, with a cacophonous mix of piano, shamisen, and shakuhachi thrown in for some traditional flare. Yet despite the bombardment of sounds, the musicianship remains super-tight and the songwriting is quirky and catchy. "九尾(kyuubi)" (and it's accompanying PV) perfectly encapsulates the band's trademark mix of traditional Japanese motifs with over-the-top, Visual Kei flamboyance, and it's sure to please both new and long-time fans.

- @CAT5

Rock / Metal / Punk / Etc.

"Hello,world!" by BUMP OF CHICKEN

albumartist

For those who already knew about this release, it shouldn't be a surprise seeing them here. The lads' latest release, 'Hello,world!,' packs a mighty punch in their already impressive latest batch of rocking singles. The title track is a flawless run from start to finish. With a tune quickly familiar to the ears after a few listens, to vocals always on point when delivering strong and emotional lines, 'Hello,world!' may be this year's best anime opening.

- @beni

"地下室の花 (chikashitsu no hana)" by cinema staff

albumartist

cinema staff has always written pop-tinged indie-rock tunes, but they've also maintained a high enough level of rawness and musical ingenuity to blend in with their friends over at Zankyo records. Though ever since their tie-in "great escape" for the hit anime 'Attack on Titan', they've been streamlining their sound for wider audiences while leaving most of their indie-proclivities at home. Fortunately, tracks like "chikashitsu no hana" from their latest album "Blueprint" prove that the band can still write compelling rock songs even while striving for mainstream appeal.

- @CAT5

"Kaedit Nos Pestis" by Sigh

albumartist

After twenty years of polishing their avant garde psychedelic black metal jamboree into a sound that can only be described as "Sigh", Graveward represents the latest - and greatest - offering from Sigh in quite some time. "Kaedit Nos Pestis" continues the tradition of Sigh starting off the album on the right foot; a compelling hybrid of catchy guitar riffs, tasteful bursts of orchestra, and one tortured man on his way to hell. As catchy as Corpsecry -Angelfall- and as tumultuous as Prelude to the Oracle, Sigh knows how to stick to their guns while aiming to please. Graveward is my metal album of the year so far, and this track is a good introduction as to why.

- @Zeus

"GET BACK" by THE ORAL CIGARETTES

albumartist

Keeping up with a killer album like The BKW Show!! is not an easy task to accomplish and I felt a little underwhelmed with the new single's title track, but it helped this one shine even more afterwards. It's much more reminiscent of the upbeat songs from the album and the melody is extremely catchy! The guitarwork is playful and intricate but not to a degree that becomes distracting, so this song finds a perfect balance with technical flair and memorable hooks. THE ORAL CIGARETTES' are showing a nice sense of consistency in their songs and building on a strong signature sound.

-

"ELE!!!" by THE TURTLES JAPAN

albumartist

The lad's debut album is an impressive release with so many fantastic tracks that it was difficult to recommend just one. I decided to settle on the album's concluding track as it's a marvelous closer. Every element mixes gorgeously to give it a dramatic yet pleasant sound. The vocal work is on point and encourages this ride to its destination in a smooth and thrilling way. Allow the chill melody to take you away and revel in the delight that is Japan's Turtles.

- @beni

"calling" by uchuu,

albumartist

Piano keys open the last track of uchuu,'s latest EP. Drums and guitars quickly work in together, but it's when the vocals kick in that it turns into a piece of art. It's Engrish at its finest, but with not the best of vocals doing so, uchuu,'s 'calling' may not be the calling for everyone. However, the lyrics express purity, delivered with absolute grace. This song is actually my favourite single track of this year at the moment. A sound surely no one better scroll past!

- @beni

"私以外私じゃないの (Watashi Igai Watashi ja Nai no)" by ゲスの極み乙女。(Gesu no Kiwami Otome.)

albumartist

Indigo la End frontman, Enon Kawatani's quirky side-band has released 3 mini albums and 1 full album since their debut in 2013. Their output has been pedestrian at best, with most of their songs being riddled with tired melodies, weak hooks, and disjointed songwriting falsely marketed as "progressive". On their new single "Watashi Igai Watashi ja Nai no", it finally sounds like the band are beginning to gel. The song is light and airy, with a super-smooth, whimsical funk to it. They've also managed to work in an instantly catchy hook, and both a piano and a guitar solo whilst keeping things cohesive. It's the perfect spring song from a band that's finally beginning to blossom!

- @CAT5

"夏の落とし物 (natsu no otoshimono)" by そこに鳴る (sokoninaru)

albumartist

If you want to hear some new blood in the indie scene sokoninaru might be just the band for you. Their debut PV "

" showed some definite promise, but relied on a gimmicky sense of being experimental for the sake of being experimental. I struggled with choosing between "natsu no otoshimono" and track 3 "ARAGAE!!" from their new EP, but both are the stronger tracks for me. This track in particular exhibits the tightest composition on the EP and a beautiful chorus. The quickly strummed, scratchy riffs remind me of one of my disbanded faves, caroline rocks. Soothing background vocals by bassist Misaki help to balance the nasal yet raspy vocals by the band's killer guitarist Suzuki. I'm keeping an eye on this band!

- @fitear1590

"Calling" by 雅-MIYAVI-

albumartist

If I'm honest, the last MYV album I listened to was 2008's This Iz the Japanese Kabuki Rock where my interest started to fade. I picked up THE OTHERS to see if it was worth giving him another chance and I was not disappointed at all. While the majority of the album was mighty enjoyable for me, the song "Calling" stuck with me more than the others. It has such a chill groove to it with MYV's unique guitar style that has me listening to it on repeat like I haven't done since "Girls, Be Ambitious" and "死んでもBoogie-Woogie." If you gave up on this talented musician as his style evolved like I did, I highly recommend turning your speakers up and letting this song weave its magic and pull you back in. It's worth every blissful second.

- @fictioninhope

Pop

"Over The Rainbow" by Atlantis Airport

albumartist

Atlantis Airport is a young, up-and-coming indie-pop band with the grace and artistic inclinations of clammbon, the rawness and vitality of tricot, and the ingenuity of mouse on the keys. They just released their 1st mini album "a [ 360° ] Cosmic Flight" and they're already captivating indie fans, Japan and abroad. Their sound is largely centered around the piano, with a enough pop and proggy elements to appease fans of both Uchuu Conbini and school food punishment. "Over The Rainbow" is probably their hardest hitting track so far and it does a great job of showcasing the band's versatility. This is certainly a band to keep an eye on.

- @CAT5

"Faraway" by miwa

albumartist

J-pop princess miwa came out with her newest album this month. It's a good run, but delivered at track nine is a truly magical number that stood out. The song takes many twists in its exact four minutes run, creating fantasy-like imagery due to its chorus changing tempo with high vocals. The beat is pleasant and sure to catch your attention with its melody alone. It's a track sparkling with cheerfulness and positivity. Don't leave this tune in the distance!

- @beni

"雪風 (Yukikaze)" by スピッツ (Spitz)

albumartist

Spitz return with a lovely television drama theme song. It's a fairly traditional ballad but packed with so much technique and tenderness, only Spitz could make it sound this effortless. Though, it should be for them as they've been packing live houses for nearly 30 years with their brand of gentle pop rock. The song touches on the melancholy of the last holds of winter intertwined with the coldness and warming of one's heart. Even in cold and sadness there's still a bud of hope ready to bloom.

-

"YOU" by 泉まくら (Izumi Makura)

albumartist

Makura could probably pass as DAOKO's little sister/apprentice. Her debut album was released this month, and was a listen I was looking forward to due to her similar sound to the recently majored singer. As a whole, her album is surprisingly poor. With either too much happening in one track, and not enough happening in another, it's underground sound makes for a rather hard-to-dig release. However, the song 'YOU' is a breath of fresh air. With a straightforward tune and beat, it's a cute, dinky little number to doze off to after a hard day's work.

- @beni

Electronic

"TOO FAR" by APOGEE

albumartist

APOGEE took their already eclectic mix of electronic pop rock and put it in a blender with Leo Imai (KIMONOS). The results were even more infectious and melodic than usual, proving for a truly potent combination. The addition of Imai modernizes the heavy throwback tendencies APOGEE is known and loved for, but "TOO FAR" still sounds undeniably APOGEE at the same time. It's a pleasant surprise and a refreshing sound—a real home run!

-

"LUNARIA" by Chouchou

albumartist

Electronic duo Chouchou just released their 4th full-length album "ALEXANDRITE" after 4 years. Standout track "LUNARIA", which was previously released as a single, has been given a pristine remaster for the album and the result is marvelous. It's an absolutely gorgeous track with deep sub-basslines, IDM glitches, dreamy bleeps, and whispery, delicate female vocals piercing through. If there's a sound for "leisurely floating in space while admiring earth's beauty from afar", then this is likely it.

- @CAT5

"Remains Domain" by Geskia

albumartist

I have to thank @Pho for turning me onto this artist. Geskia paints a beautiful ambient soundscape that is both highly emotive and understated. It makes his songs incredibly easy to listen to and this track is no exception. I found myself repeatedly lost in the music and enveloped in a dark, dreamy world constructed as much by synth as hip hop samples. The beat is subtle yet no less hypnotising as it carries you away. This is your perfect low-key escape from reality.

-

See you next month! :3

The new format works a lot better than the old one in my opinion. Whilst it's nice to know which writer chose which song, grouping them stylistically just makes a lot more sense.

I couldn't second ATLANTIS AIRPORT enough if I tried. Despite only having discovered them a couple of days ago (courtesy of @CAT5), my mind is quickly being taken over by their brilliant mix of catchy pop, mathy rhythmical passages and piano-driven instrumentals. They really seem to fill the void that school food punishment left after they disbanded, except they bring a progressive flair that tended to be missing from sfp's later releases. I'm keeping a close eye on this band and hoping that they don't pull an 宇宙コンビニ on me.

I'm also glad to see that Geskia got a shout from . I tend to enjoy most of his releases and Remains Domain is no exception. I don't necessarily consider the title track to be my personal favourite on the EP, but that's basically the equivalent of me saying "of these 5 tracks that I love, this is the one that I love slightly less than the others" rather than reflecting any particular sense of dislike. Also, it's likely to be the most reflective of his upcoming album, which is also supposed to feature a prominent use of vocals.

Anyway, there are a lot of songs on this list that I'm not familiar with, so I'm going to start working through those and see how it goes. Nice job as always!

I'm not surprised we vary on which one is our favorite, we come from pretty different musical backgrounds. But I'm glad we agree that the mini is great though. lol. And I'm looking forward to that album too. Especially if it'll be more like Remains Domain. X"D please forgive me. Thanks again for sharing that news on this release!!!

I'm also walking away with Atlantis Airport. That may be my biggest take away from all the other songs this month. Super dynamic and fun. 

I really enjoyed this new kind of format, I can see which one fits the same/or almost, the music's style like me.

@fictioninhope did well choosing FED, it was the best track from the EP, giving that an opportunity to me for like their new vocals and check back how amazing Sujk and Leda are, and with that electronic additions.

Also I should give a try for MYV new album too.

@beni you had just like me 灰色の森 by MBHI for the best track hahaha

My own list:

My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND - 灰色の森

Once again, a fabulous release coming from these guys. I had a very hard time to choice, maybe the hardest choice ever made in "the best new tracks" because their full mini album is super amazing, every time I hear the mini a got a new feeling about each song on it, but I got myself thinking on this song and playing on my head on repeat, strangely because it was not my favorite track on the mini, but it has became from a mysterious way, until this moment...

Some diabolic magic from this band.

the Lotus - Grace

It's not to be surprise because the Lotus is here in my list, this band comes from nowhere and conquer a space in my heart that they will probably never lost, they were able to continue with the great line of songs from their first release.

FAR EAST DIZAIN

This was my best on their debut release, they got electronic additions that fits perfectly on the song bringing some amazing tune to it. As always wonderful guitar from Leda, and some oriental elements that can be noticed sometimes along with electro beats, also showed me that Keita was a good choice for being the new vocal.

Dat Visual kei selection is looking positively brilliantly. The few I didn't check out from this month before looking through this list I also encourage giving a listen, like Nimo, Far East Dizain and XENON.

cinema staff's latest album is a must listen, and a great song choice for a place there, @CAT5. Thanks to @Zeus and @Bear recommending the same release, Sigh looks like a must too. is doing awesome coverage for THE ORAL CIGARETTES. They sound like they have a continously great run, I'm slacking with those guys. I honestly don't understand how I forgot to do that Gesu no Kiwami Otome. one myself. Such a major awesome tune!! Happy to see they have been included. Another major thanking to you, @CAT5, for that new blood of a band Atlantis Airport and @fitear1590's sokoninaru. Totally getting on them sometime.

Also, dat Miyavi album. I'm curious to hear of what everyone thinks of the album as a whole, not as bad as I was expecting to be honest. And that track is a damn fine one to include! Also, on the topic of that, I am extremely pleased to see blurbs from both @Zeus and @fictioninhope. <3

I had no idea listens to Spitz! I've only given a few songs of theirs a listen, and this one will surely pull others in. Those vocals = such perfection. (omg, that third dude in the used pic, looks like what An Cafe's Yuuki would typically look like x'D) And under the final genre heading, I either haven't heard of them before, or haven't checked them out yet. ^^;; So much new stuff to go over, always a pleasure!

Okay.... finally got around to my super long reply after listening to everything because these posts basically make my entire week! *~* BNT days are best days.

@beni

Hearing this MBHI song outside of the context of the rest of the single sounds a lot better than I remember it. I still don't particularly like Tenten's vocals on these songs for some reason, probably the higher melody behind the main vocal is not meshing for me. But this song does sound WAY better than I remembered it, so thanks for making me give it a second chance.  I'm also really happy you included BUMP OF CHICKEN and THE TURTLES JAPAN. I loved these releases too. Both of them were so beautiful and just solid song writing. I can't get enough of them! Seeing you write up uchuu, was a surprise. I was on the fence about listening to this album from the video they released. But this song changed my mind.  Definitely make sure you catch up with THE ORAL CIGARETTES, you won't be sorry. I promise! and LMAO at that Yuuki/Spitz comment. He does look a bit like him hahaha. But Spitz is classic. I feel like, if you like Jpop you need to at least know that name or you're really missing out on great tunes. You had a few others I need to hear more of, but enjoyed them. miwa and Makura were both adorable, as I've come to expect. XD

I'm not a huge MM fan, but they were one of my "introduction to vk" bands. I'm not really familiar with more than one or two A songs, either. But that cover of "au revoir" is nice. Nimo's version really feels updated and he was able to put his own style into it without totally changing the song. This is also my first time hearing XENON. I'll definitely look for their future releases. I checked Danger Crue's website and I don't see mention of them anywhere. So if they are connected it's not in an official way that I know of. They have the right sound though, I could easily see them fitting in well there. Right between DIV and SID.  そこに鳴る! Yes! I saw a lot of bad reactions to this mini but I liked it a lot. Maybe I'm not as harsh on it since it's not my main genre but I think this band's got a really bright future.

@CAT5

I got around to that cinema staff album so late! I would have certainly added something and I'm glad you did. That song is great. Actually you picking it made me get off my butt and finally listen to it. I wasn't crazy about the opening or the closing, but the chunk of songs in the middle of this album kept me pretty happy. I hope they don't soften their sound too much more, though. It could start getting boring... You picked my favorite song from that ゲスの極み乙女。 release as well. The rest I'm not sure how I feel about them. I think I still like indigo la End a bit more than this project so far, but you're giving me some hope. lol. ATLANTIS FRIKKIN AIRPORT. Holy crap. I was not ready for this perfection. I directly proceeded to grab that mini album. I did not pass go and did not collect $200. 

@Zeus
Man, I have been seeing this Sigh's name everywhere. And I still thought I was gonna hate them just because I don't normally do the really dark metal stuff (I like my -core) but this song is surprisingly fun! It's not at all the chug-chug doom and gloom I was expecting. Well okay, maybe just a little doom and gloom. But in a good way. lol. I can totally hear why this is gonna be on a lot of AOTY lists.

I'm digging the FED song, you're absolutely right that it's not DELUHI at all and it people shouldn't be comparing the projects. I will say I was expecting heavier vocals due to the samples I heard from CodeRebirth in the past, and in LOCUS he doesn't seem to get past a growl in some of the parts he could have really pushed it farther. Saved it all for the b-side I suppose. But the song is still really cool and I'm excited about future material from these guys! Calling wasn't my favorite on the Miyavi album, but he had a lot of good songs to choose from. You came back at the perfect time. He's finally moving on from his "world music" phase and just doing some cool modern rock again. Miyavi fits in well with this current bluesy garage rock revival, maybe he can help keep it going.

#JusticeForSuiyoubinocampella

She's cool - I just keep forgetting to give her music a listen! kenmochi hidefumi is def. one of the last ppl I expected to produce for a jpop artist, though.

@CAT5

I got around to that cinema staff album so late! I would have certainly added something and I'm glad you did. That song is great. Actually you picking it made me get off my butt and finally listen to it. I wasn't crazy about the opening or the closing, but the chunk of songs in the middle of this album kept me pretty happy. I hope they don't soften their sound too much more, though. It could start getting boring...

You picked my favorite song from that ゲスの極み乙女。 release as well. The rest I'm not sure how I feel about them. I think I still like indigo la End a bit more than this project so far, but you're giving me some hope. lol.

I agree about cinema staff. It would be a shame for them to go completely pop when those guys really have some chops. I pretty much cringed at the intro and the piano ballad song.

I'm not huge on either indigo la end or gesu (mostly because of enon's vocals), but that new gesu song too me by complete surprise.

As for your picks - it's good to see BugLug on that list. I tried them for the first time with their new album and I was surprised at how varied and fun it was. The song you chose is definitely fun I can see why you like it with all the chanty "WOO OH OHH"s and all. That reggae part was both hilarious and awesome. If you didn't get to SCAPEGOAT, then I would have. The song you chose was one of my favorite from that album. I may have mentioned this to you before, but the vocalist reminds me of Hizumi...very briefly at times. THE ORAL CIGARETTES...I've yet to listen to any of their releases, but this song is super decent. I don't care for the chorus, but the verses are very nice. APOGEE - not a fan of the engrrish, but It's cool to hear that they're continuing to embrace their electronic side more. Geskia's material is usually pretty sick. I'm not sure how I feel about this new direction of his, but I'm still pretty hype about the album.

@fitear1590

sokoninaru...you already know what I'm going to say. They're not bad, but atm, I'm having a hard time seeing them as anything other than a poor man's ling tosite sigure. I'll keep an eye on them and see how they progress, though. XENON - surprisingly cool track with some pretty neat synth work. The chorus is a bit underwhelming, but all in all, I would not mind hearing more of this band. Nimo, is it just me or does this dude kinda resemble Ice? aha..

@beni

this miwa song reminds me a lot of that noanowa song you like. I'm actually having a hard time figuring out why, but i like it. uchuu, - i feel like I could like this band, but the vocalist just sounds tacky to me, aha. Speaking of issues with vocalists - My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND - this song is fantastic, musically, but I still can't get into tenten's vocals.

Thank you @EnderEnder Saru made my April!!! I thought it was such an amazing song. But all in all BugLugs newest release was to me their best yet ^_^.

I pretty much like the rest of the songs chosen by everyone on the VK list and there are a lot I haven't heard yet on the rest of the other lists so thanks for the recommendations ^_^

Thank you @EnderEnder Saru made my April!!! I thought it was such an amazing song. But all in all BugLugs newest release was to me their best yet ^_^.

Haha no problem! Glad you're enjoying it. The BugLug album has grown on me so much. I'm really loving it right now!

Many of my favorites are also listed on this months release list, but the biggest surprises for me were:

fitear1590 - I had never heard Xenon until today - and that entire single was amazing (A and B sides).  The DIV characterization was right on, and I rushed into sampling their other offerings throughout the day and really wondered why I never gave them a shot!  They are able to meld melody and heavy very well, and their guitarist(s) can solo much better than DIV ever has.

Also - I adore the Sokoninaru!  As a huge fan of bands like HaKU, Androp, and Ling Toshite Sigure, they are in the same vein and are great!

Thanks for this - the format and content are both spot on.

Cat, I'm glad to see you covered Kiryu and Gesu no Kiwami Otome. Those songs were almost on my list as well.

Beni, the MBHI track is awesome, which is saying something, because Tenten's vox usually piss me off for some reason, lol. Wasn't expecting them to sound anything like this.

ender, so glad you posted Spitz! I forget that they're still around and they proved that they still kick ass. Kusano's vox make me melt :')

Many of my favorites are also listed on this months release list, but the biggest surprises for me were:

fitear1590 - I had never heard Xenon until today - and that entire single was amazing (A and B sides).  The DIV characterization was right on, and I rushed into sampling their other offerings throughout the day and really wondered why I never gave them a shot!  They are able to meld melody and heavy very well, and their guitarist(s) can solo much better than DIV ever has.

Also - I adore the Sokoninaru!  As a huge fan of bands like HaKU, Androp, and Ling Toshite Sigure, they are in the same vein and are great!

Thanks for this - the format and content are both spot on.

Yay, so glad you got to hear something new from the list, TheStoic! XENON was a cool surprise, indeed! Now that you've checked out some of their older material, any recommendations?
Thanks for your comment :D

fitear1590 - I really liked the 心像 [shinzou] Maxi-Single, however, their LP Ultima contains most of their A-Sides and is closer in content to the Liquid single. Both are really enjoyable in my opinion, and the guitar work really impressed me. I would start with Ultima if i were you.

The song -0- Story from the LP is a good example of channeling the DIV vocal sound and electronica, but with some heavy elements and technical guitar soloing.

Sign in to follow this