Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #19: Do you care how accurately your last.fm depicts your music taste?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #19  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care how accurately your last.fm depicts your music taste?

• Yes. I'm picky about what I scrobble and I tailor my charts to appear a certain way.
    • Somewhat. I customize my charts a bit, but I don't get too picky about it.
    • Nope. It'll never be completely accurate, so I don't bother trying to make it so.
    • I use last.fm more for stats and records than to convey my taste.

Do you care how accurately your last.fm depicts your music taste?

To submit a poll for the MH POLL OF THE WEEK, P.M. @CAT5 with your poll question, choices, and state whether it's multiple choice or not.

other: don't even use last.fm anymore

I changed computers about two years ago but scrobbling had slowed my old comp down a little so I had uninstalled it (and a bunch of other things) before then. It also often missed my iPod's plays even when I plugged it in. 

Now, it's missing 2 years worth of music to the point that it's completely inaccurate now. 

Tbh, I never really used last.fm to get in contact with other people or to look at friends' stuff, etc so I never really got around to installing the scrobbler again and I just kind of stopped caring.

i go through so many phases so keeping track of my little musical phases is pretty much pointless and would require a new account every few months. i just like looking at the data tbh.

I did create a new account because after however many years (I think it was 6?) I wanted to change my username and last.fm doesn't allow that. I do like that my new account reflects my current taste better, but that wasn't really something that bothered me as much as the old name. So I went with option #2. I'm kind of picky, I guess.

I usually use it to record my music, even some of the more crappy side of it. I would never delete my scrobbles unless I listened to a song or album under the wrong name.

I'm a bit of a mixed bag here, seeing as I'm both of the top option and bottom option. Since my music taste is strictly Japanese, Korean and Chinese, if I happen to scrobble an English song when I'm in the mood for it, I try not to let it bother me. If it does (like, if it's not a Paloma Faith track x'D) I'll remove it because it doesn't sit right in my Asian music library. I'd called myself "picky" in that sense. But apart from that, I really only made Last.fm to keep stats on what I listen to, how much I do, and discovering any new artists that pop in recommendations. I've gotten a bit more cerial about it after having made the account, since I hate it when artist pages redirect you to the wrong page. ._. I still can't be bothered tagging everything dough. ='D I've decided to go with the second option in the time I've typed this all out, aha.

Before 2011 I didn't really care and scrobbled anything but then I made a new account and I changed my mindset.

Nowadays I want my last.fm to depict my current music taste, and sometimes I go through my library and delete artists that I don't enjoy anymore.

Last.fm is just a list of what artists and songs you listened to when. If you purposefully manipulate those charts by playing a song on repeat overnight, turning off the scrobbler on "embarassing" songs, deleting old songs out of your Last.fm library, adding new artists to your Last.fm library, etc., then you aren't accurately recording anything. You're only showing what you want to show.

I've manipulated my charts a lot so that all artists and albums are tagged as properly as to how I can get it. My scrobbles lag behind by a day or two anyway, so I don't care if it accurately depicts anything or not.

Combination of options 3 and 4, chose 3 on the poll. If something is tagged wrong, I'll delete it, but beyond that, there's no point because my tastes change so often.

Nah, I don't care if it shows my taste or not. I do like, however, all the stats it shows. It's kind of an addiction xD. But I try not to delete anything I didn't like or something of the kind. If I just listened to it, it can't be "unlistened", damn it! xD

Why should some musicians or bands be embarassing to listen to? I like every artist that I show on my Last.fm, if I wouldn't like them, I wouldn't play it after all. The artists which I cannot enjoy that do pop up there in an unfortunate event — well, they are simply unfortunate to be on there, and unless someone is extremely obsessed with my musical taste, no one goes looking for them at the very bottom of my charts where the numbers range from one to five plays. No one should hide what they listen to, in my opinion. The only things I might delete or alter are scrobbles with wrong tags, but everything after that remains on there.

not at all. I just know Ill stay consistent with my music taste and progressively discovering new sounds.

hey i use to listen to alesana. some point i was ashamed but nah, its who i am.

if i for somehow scrobble justin bieber, then Ill say in disappointment, son of a bitch. wont do anything to change it. its just going to bother the fuck out of me knowing that dip shits in my list.

I used to show things the way i wanted them to be seen, when I was like 17. 

In all honesty I'm always more about the username, but sometimes I'll stop using last.fm and have a huge music binge while doing so... so when i come back it scrobbles all those artists that haven't been scrobbled and like one artist will always have a million more plays than any others which bothers me. 

Lately I'm cool with my last.fm because I feel like it's accurate. Some of my top bands that I like NOW  are not in my top artists because of past things I used to listen to that have already achieved high plays... but... that's okay too because I still did listen to those tracks. 

I guess last.fm is just kind of there. sometimes i care about it and sometimes i don't... but i would never intentionally play something i wasn't listening to or disable scrobbling when i was listening to something embarrassing.

Of course I care! I mean, I don't want Scrobble to get an artist I like wrong, you know? It's done that so many damn times it's not funny. So, I've had to fix a lot of my songs and artists just so it would catch them properly. Like said above though, I get a little bothered because it has the thing where when or two artists are played the most. I do listen to a certain song every night before I go to bed, and it usually catches this and ugh...

Oh wait, I see the point here. Sorry. It's five in the morning. >____> Some of them I am embarrassed about. Well, maybe just one I am but that's nothing.

Back when I started using last.fm (almost NINE years ago...) I was quite obsessive over making sure every single song I listened to was scrobbled. (not including songs I hear on the radio or whatever, because I didn't actually choose those songs). So even if I watched the video on youtube, I would manually scrobble it. Deleting scrobbles just because they didn't fit my "image" would've been sacrilegious. 

I did. I still do, to an extent, though I've been having a hard time catching up (less than a hundred scrobbles in the past 5-6 months.. I reckon?) and in a few instances I actually spent some time listening to music I just did it regardless of the fact it may have skewed my charts and displayed artists whose songs I have listened to too much already / previously non-existent (due to a certain taste I used to try to insinuate) in my library. Because whatever.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with tailoring your charts to appear a certain way or to project the kind of taste that you envision. If that's how you make use of last.fm, then go for it.

Although in my personal experience, being overly selective of what I scrobble, specifically trying to tinker with stats, and resetting to better reflect my tastes has always been more trouble than it's worth. To add to the futility of it all, my tastes tend to evolve and jump around a bit, and that's not always readily perceivable on the charts. Furthermore, the scrobbler app on my phone tends to scrobble even the songs that I skip, so that skews the stats a bit. Not to mention the fact that I usually scrobble a greater variety of music from my computer than I do on my phone.

So all in all, I think there are too many factors at play to worry too much about accuracy. I still tinker with a few of the display settings from time to time, but that's about it.

I went with the second option.

It's almost a bit embarrassing thinking about the fact that I do feel uncomfortable for the moment that, as an example, Malice Mizer isn't higher on my list (I deleted all songs written in romaji and replaced them with the accurate title in japanese) so I might see my charts and feel like, maybe I should listen to a Malice Mizer album today...just to bring them up a bit. Not that I don't like them, just haven't been in the mood for them lately.

About scrobbling the same song on repeat to make it go higher, I do scrobble some songs for hours but that's honestly just because I feel like it. I have a hard time listening to full albums and tend to just repeat the same songs over and over, especially when I've found something new I reallyreally like. ...and I do avoid listening to bands/artist which I only like 1 song of, it's annoying to have those on the chart :wacko:

Voted for "I use last.fm more for stats and records than to convey my taste". I scrobble from everywhere humanly possible and I'm OCD with tags.

Sign in to follow this