Sign in to follow this  
Aferni

My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND - MIMIC

157oso4.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆

(NO WAY MY NO ASK KILL YOU!! LEAVE OUT ALL THE REST!!!!!!)

MBHI CAST:

__________________                                                                                                          

Vo.平一洋(taira kazuhiro) 

Gt.ダイ(die) 
Gt.衍龍(kouryuu)
Ba.りょう(ryou) 
Dr.てつや(tetsuya) 

Today I will be reviewing, MBHI's recent and first mini album (wooooot~ <3) "MIMIC". Feel free to drop your thoughts below! I want to hear your input too! <3

1.)  嗚咽

Oetsu is the opener track for this mini album, and both halves of the song are uploaded on youtube with it's pv spot. Anyways, When I heard it's preview I was absolutely dumbfounded, When I heard both previews I knew at that moment I would need to hear the full version. Hearing it now, it was way better than I expected it to be, TenTen sings with a strong sense of emotion, the riffs and guitars alone are just a rough sound that only MBHI can deliver. The break down was delicious, it was so rewarding to wait for this song, no this mini album. Oetsu is the best track on this mini having it being the heaviest. TenTen's Voice is the highlight of this song, his harsh vocals are just so angry sounding. They  compete with Jin (THE BLACK SWAN) and Akane's(D.I.D.). That bass playing is sexy too, ryou's skill's are as dope as a pound of marijuana. If he keeps up he might surpass RENA of THE BLACK SWAN.....someday because RENA's skills are as hard as an erection that last's more than three hours.

☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆ 

2.) ネジレル

Nejireru, the second track of this glorious mini album This track being less heavy than it's predecessor oetsu, fit this mini really well. This is apart of MBHI's inbetween heavy and non-heavy style, somewhere near heavy but not too close. This track gave me a Linkin Park vibe and it's okay because this song fits MBHI, the composition was solid, the sound was as hard as the asphalt I also enjoyed the piano sounding snippet thrown in there. MBHI is really mixing it up with thier songs and I like it. This song was very unique to me, TenTen's voice again save's the day , not saying the music doesn't but TenTen's voice is a precious Gemstone. Do you see where I'm going with this.....no..? Okay  :/  

☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆ 

3.) REAPER MIMIC

To be honest I skipped over this track while listening because being a fucking retard, I thought it was going to be like "meh". But, BUT....I was way wrong. The instrumental starts off with a great little jam and then TenTen kicks in and starts slaying shit With the mass murderous weapon that is his voice. at 1:33 shit got real, and it continued to get real. I couldn't resist the urge to head bang in my room when I heard this it got too powerful for me around 1:43. I Had to turn up the volume. This track was indeed a banger! MBHI Never Fucking Disappoints. So Far we're doing great! Three more tracks~.

☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆ 

4.) 灰色の森

This fucking track, oh my god.....its my second fave from this mini. I cannot describe the mixture of feelings this track gave me. It was a mix of nostalgia and calmness, accompanied by a sense of melancholy. This track is beautiful, and I hope for MBHI to make more tracks like it, this is what perfection is in it's purest form. I like how they made it sound like drum and bass with their dynamic sound. The piano is the icing on the delicious cake. It takes you far away, it has a gentle snowfall feel to it. I love those Semi-High notes that TenTen hits,this is definitely a song to get stoned to. Dear God this Mini is fucking love in its purest form. <3

☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆ 

5.)  凶の世界

DAMN THIS TRACK IS PERFECT.....This track just gives you that feel of bathing in moonlight. TenTen's vocals match the guitars, everyone is jamming in their own way and that is to be appreciated in this track. Everyone is just slaying like fucking knights in a days of old tale. Jesus Christ, MBHI has no chill what so ever when it comes to pleasing their fans, this track is something like Aozora Guillotine. And THAT TRACK WAS SEXY TOO. But this calm is more calm, collected and cool. Get what I mean?.....you don't..? Its cool. Lmao

☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆

6.)目覚める2分前

NO WAY MY NO ASK KILL YOU!!!!! This track is fun and fast. This track is quick on it's toes with it's speedy composition, it's one of the more fun tracks on the mini. It sounds like everyone was into it, TenTen's harsh vocal's at the beginning did it for me he fucking killed it! Yeah this song is short but there's nothing wrong with that, it's one of those short but sweet deals. I just love it when he goes "Wooooahh~" dear god he has a unique voice and I love him for it, and you should too :D........LONG LIVE TAIRA KAZUHIRO...LONG LIVE MBHI.

☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆

In final This Mini Gets from me a ☆☆☆☆☆ out of ☆☆☆☆☆,

Why you may ask~?

Because this mini turned out better than I thought it would, being as how I wasn't too big on MBHI before this has fully thrown me into their arms to be embraced by the arms that is their dynamic sound.

didn't think I scored it correctly? Give me your thoughts <3

Lol, perfect Aferni (:

Here are mine:

嗚咽

嗚咽 is literally wonderful even better than the spot showed.

I can't control myself on this song, there is a lot of jumps and headbang.

5/5

ネジレル

Definitely my best song from mini album, this surprised me!

Perfect dj skills from hiLo fitting really well with the band beats and Tenten's voice.

5/5

REAPER MIMIC

A regular song. Not my favorite, so I don't have something consistent to say, sorry haha

3.5/5

灰色の森

An amazing ballad song, that had some cool expression on the album that is different from ballad and related.

4.5/5

凶の世界

Sincerely, I was having high hopes on this one, is not bad, I like it, but I was justing waiting for more.

5/5

目覚める2分前

Good vocals and lyrics, also the title is funny.

The tones that Tenten can do on it is *-* hell yeah baby!!

4/5

Ah I guess I'll do a short review. 

嗚咽 - 4/5

This song works as an OK opener for the mini album, but the reason I like this song is it literally gives me hints of KuRt and SKULL tendencies. But at the same time that has brought them back in to that typical VK layering of a fairly basic riff with a repetitive pop in from the lead guitar here and there. Not to say it's a bad technique, it's just common. Make for a great live band. The layering in Tenten's vocals is what makes me think of KuRt. I can't put my finger on it but there's a certain tone and consistency in the way he holds his notes that make me think of his vocals in KuRt. I think the most creative part of this song really is around 1:31-2:13 That has to be the sweet spot of the entire song. With everything combined I'm really curious as to who composed this song or if it was a full group effort.

ネジレル - 3/5

Eh the intro is cool. But other than a few cool guitar riffs, the contrast between the vocal melody and the music itself isn't anything really satisfying or memorable. Not a bad song, probably a good song... but it's not speaking to me. 2:20 - 2:48 was nice and the sudden heaviness after it caught my attention. Regardless, this song is more of background noise for me.

REAPER MIMIC - 5/5

Hmmmm. I really like the guitar work in this song. the intro took me off gaurd. With that type of technique I usually expect something melanchilic sounding but they threw in a few notes to make it a tug of war between melancholic and sunny. This song literally sounds like clock work to me. I love when two guitarists can do that where it sounds like a domino effect. How do I explain it... Like when one guitar plays something but it seems to tie in with the other in a way that it sounds like it could almost be disjointed.... but the second part can't happen if the first doesn't.... Ah I don't know how to explain it and this is why i suck at reviews because I have trouble forming words for how I feel. but this is my favorite song on the mini.

灰色の森 - 5/5

THIS SONG. I feel like, even though there's no members from CPS in this band other than tenten... this is a good example of where cps could have continued on to? I don't know this song is just beautiful. The bass has chances to shine through and I feel like it's kind of hard to have an original and upbeat sounding bassline in a ballad sounding song with out making it sound over powering. I also like that this song has kind of a swing feel to it, ah. Me gusta mucho.

凶の世界 - 3.5/5

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. dat bass and drums though. Much love. I feel like musically it sounds disjointed in the guitars in some spots, but I like the variety they offer in this song? Ah but there's that over used SKULL riff that is in like 60% of their songs... LOL The idea of this song is really pretty but I have mixed feelings about the guitar work. +2 for bass and drums though. 

目覚める2分前・・ - UNABLE TO RATE.

REALLY MAD BECAUSE INTRO WAS TOTZ STOCK DRUM SOUNDS. Eh I like the bass and vocal melodies..... I STILL HAVE MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT THIS SONG.... IT'S LIKE... ONE WAY ONE SECOND THEN IT CHANGES THE NEXT AND.... GIVE ME A MILLION YEARS TO ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THIS SONG. I literally don't know if I really like this song.... or if I really.... just feel confused.

I was pumped even before I heard any samples! So let's see how it is!

01 嗚咽 - It has this very creepy vibe to it, but that guitar riff gets really repetitive after awhile even if they do small variations throughout the song on it. The mini break after the first chorus is so cool and creepy and then the break! F*CK YEAH! but then it goes into the repetitive guitar again and eh. Chorus is decent though. 3/5 

02 ネジレル - Sounds like some nu metal music and I can get down with that. Love the DJs scratching. It feels well with this song without being overbearing. The only thing I didn't really like was the chorus. Kind of boring, but overall the song was decent. 3/5

03 REAPER MIMIC - I love the guitars in this song. I like Tenten's rapid lyrics in his verses and his more aggressive voice. This is my head banging sh*t but once again, the lowest part of the song is the chorus. Love the outro. My neck hearts. 4/5

04 灰色の森 - Very beautiful sounding song with some really cool fast pace drums going on. I love Tenten's singing and that bass is grooving all the way through. The piano is just icing on the cake. They really know how to take minimum elements to a song and make it sound distinct. 4/5

05 凶の世界 - THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG RIGHT HERE! Everything is perfect with this song. The guitars, bass, vocals, drums and there are some cool utilization of guitar effects in this song. I love the chorus. Tenten sounds so beautiful and endearing. 5/5

06 目覚める2分前・・I explained my love for this song. These types of songs are also to me. It's like they literally just sat down and whatever came to them at the time they were just like "f*ck it, this is the song". one take. I know that's not how it went, but it's really raw and I love it. Head banging and such. But I will say that it's NOT a good track to leave us on. I feel like the mini isn't complete with this song being the last thing I hear. 4/5

Overall: I love how all the tracks flow smoothly into each other. This is a very cohesive sounding mini album but I was annoyed they left me on a cliffhanger  "目覚める2分前・・". I don't think that was a good way to end things. I will say this is a good first mini album even if there isn't anything really groundbreaking here. One thing I can say that I love about Tenten is that he always knows the right band members to pick to suit his voice. There is never that awkward feeling of "hmmm..this band shouldn't do this because their vocalist can't do that type of song". HIS BANDS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT TYPE OF SONG TO FIT HIS VOICE. This mini album is like a combination of all the best parts of his previous bands (minus kiss my way which I didn't like that much anyway) plus skull influence. I'm so happy with this work! 4/5

I had to get in on this one, I'm glad I waited a little longer to get to know it (I was gonna do this yesterday).

Overall I think MIMIC shows the band is still a ways off from finding their sound, more importantly it shows how much fun it's going to be to follow them though the process of doing so. To me, MIMIC gives of slightly more of a demo sound than the AG single (Possibly just due to number of songs)

01. (Whimper/Sob) - The most ear catching preview leading up to release is a strong opener, short and simple. A darker atmosphere than MBHI usually swims out to (similar to the later segments of Taizai Koroshite Yama ni Umetai from Nisshin Geppo) The vocal melodies in the first verse are a little aimless and IMO fail to match the tone that's been set. I know this is the nature of Tenten's style, still has to re-work his mentality for these songs. The chorus however is really nice and of course the breakdown that had people salivating for weeks cant disappoint. Being a short song, no time is wasted returning to the second chorus. Works to it's benefit. It's not my favorite on the CD but it's one of the better ones. (40/50)

02. (Twist) - The second song opens with a somewhat misleading DJ intro from HiLo before breaking into heavy metal riffs, keeping the light piano overlay throughout. The composition sounds really solid. Tenten NAILS the verses on this one. Sounding dismal and hopeless and staying on the mark right through the chorus. The soft moments are decent and stay pretty somber themselves. Once the breakdown hits It starts to very much feel like a rework of the previous track. Just to say they serve virtually the same purpose on the mini album lol. I might be more in love with it if it was placed somewhere else, but for now it sits in my head as kind of an Oetsu Part II. (42/50)

03. (REAPER MIMIC) - On to the title-suggested centerpiece of MIMIC. My first thought is that the main riff sounds like Shine by Sel'm. After it gets going and the vocals start it feels like a fairly typical KuRt song. (with different tuning of course) I don't actually have a whole lot to say about this one, it did unfortunately become my least favorite. Not worth skipping my any means, but not calling for a whole lot of replay. (35/50)

04. (Gray Forest) - I saw more than one person start this topic with "THIS SONG". THIS FUCKING SONG[3]. It's already looking to stick with me more than Aozora Guillotine. We know MBHI can work guitars to call back to Chemical Pictures, this song does not only that but enjoys a bass line that absolutely seals the deal. I feel like I'm listening to a real, NEW CP song. Not just a reference to it. Every section of this song heightens the emotion. Forlorn, steeped in a beautiful, gentle sadness with just a little surviving warmth. I know many people would describe Tenten's singing style "amateur" (not totally untrue) but he has such a heart-melting, genuine love in his voice. I'll mark all the way out like a little bitch and say this is the kind of song that made me love CP so much in high school. Tenten just sounds like he is singing for you, or TO you. Why can't this song be longer. Even just a little. (50/50)

05. (World Of Evil) - I was quite into the PV preview for this as well, but they kind of cheated flashing that little smile from Tenten in the beginning, how do I NOT love this now? Anyway, it's a casual, pleasant song like the video would suggest. I love the long soaring notes here and there, for the same reason Sekai wa Sore wo Mitsumerushikanai stood out to me so much on the last single. I find the chorus improves each time. It's hard to love it so much after the last song but it's truly great too. (45/50)

06. (2 Minutes Before You Wake Up...) - BLOWOUT time. This is tailor made to rock out shamelessly. Tenten howling like a beast NO WAY MY NO ASK KILL YOU. Musically this isn't actually anything we haven't heard from them. (I'm not super into the chorus if I listen to the song by itself, but serving as the end of the mini album it's more enjoyable. Still interesting to leave off the way it does. MIMIC goes out the same way it came in, in your face, disjointed, and doesn't give a fuck. (38-40/50)

I still think as a song, Aozora Guillotine is the most even and well shaken-out combination of memebers' styles. but these guys can experiment for years and I will devour all of it.

TOTAL: 250/300 <3

I tried listening to this but I found it quite bland. This is of course blasphemy, but I really don't see why everyone loves Tenten so much?

Tenten's is a cult following, most people raving about him have been following him from other bands. I don't know if you've heard any KuRt or Chemical Pictures but MBHI by comparison is an experiment thus far.

I've heard of them, and I remember liking a few tracks from KuRt, but I just think Tenten is pretty standard fare for a VK vocalist.

I know it's a different genre entirely but I much prefer Skull XD

That's cool too SKULL was a really solid band with a cool vocalist in their own right!

Tenten is kind of strange by VK vocal standards, if you hear him speak he has a VERY dry kind of raspy voice. I am actually more surprised hearing him called standard rather than people openly calling him awful XD. But my perspective is totally shot lll never be able to look at him normally lol

Sign in to follow this