Sign in to follow this  
Takadanobabaalien

DISREIGN (YOHIO) 1st single UNTIL THE FADE

It makes a difference! Paint is make-up. It's not the same thing as real hair.

I'll never listen to Malice Mizer again now that I know this. The feeling of betrayal. :-(

Only TRVE 'STACHE is HAIR 'stache. Just ask Salvador Dali, Charlie Chaplin, Vincent Price, Clark Gable, Frank Zappa, Ron Jeremy, Dr. Phil and Adolf Hitler. I am sure they will all agree with me.

Facial hair (real or drag) in vkei isn't new, it's just not that common.

MAXX had a mutton chops in Orphee.

There's also GRiST: 

GRiST.jpg

Signal:

Deadly.jpg

Gokiburi:

GOKIBURI.jpg

My Dragon:

My+Dragon++427012_403638552984203_210074

Cali Gari:

caligari.jpg

/

caligari+calibj4.jpg

Kathy Bates:

ethel-darling.jpg

+ Yu~ki, as already shown (he had at least another 2 looks with one too)

Do we need to start a visual beards thread?

dkm that preview was pretty cool and yohio's new look is hot AF

hopefully they rip off dim-era gazette as good as grieva did deg ^.^

either way it'll probably be better than 70% of the indiefag japanese bands putting out music now but no one will admit it lolololol

I still wonder why people call this Visual Kei — I think Visual Kei should be a term that goes for Japanese bands only, since that is where it sprung from. Anything else with such extreme visuals I simply consider glam metal-or rock. This scene is especially big in Scandinavia and I am certain that Yohio is also one of those guys who started on Mötley Crüe, Poison and Cinderella. 

But yes, Yohio is not a good singer. I haven't got a clue why Japan was so eager to adopt him, and I'll probably never know.

I still wonder why people call this Visual Kei — I think Visual Kei should be a term that goes for Japanese bands only

Yeah, and the internet should only be used for military purposes, which is where it came from and not for you to express your ignorant bullshit, right ?

VK fans are almost always so narrow minded. You disgust me. When will you guys notice that if there's no VK scene outside of Japan you won't have access to merch, gigs and bands will keep disbanding, getting shitty production and doing low quality stuff and all that stuff y'all whine about all the time ? What's the problem with gaijins doing VK ? Japan didn't invent glam and yet still you're all here thirsting on japanese trannys. Weebs are always like this. You think Japan is the most advanced placed on Earth and everytime people try to actually spread their culture you say this xenophobic shit, like, only Japan can do animation, cosplaying or VK. These are all copies of western stuff. Japan didn't invent shit, so it shouldn't be limited to Japan only. Get over it. It's because of people like you that the scene doesn't grow. Stop whinning and support the fuck out of western bands. You think this one sucks ? Ok, but there are in fact good non-japanese bands. And most of the shit you listen to is ripped off of western bands. Support non-jap VK or the scene will die,

Seriously regret coming into this thread, but anyway, gotta completely disagree with Jon Jonz:

Yeah, and the internet should only be used for military purposes, which is where it came from and not for you to express your ignorant bullshit, right ?

Pretty bad way to start a post that just may end up outdoing any ignorance or bullsh!t that came before it in the thread.

VK fans are almost always so narrow minded.

Is that a statistic? Maybe I should listen to something else so I can open my mind, see the real world, be one with the universe....

You disgust me.

Pretty darn narrow-minded and downright hateful way to feel about someone with a different opinion than you.

When will you guys notice that if there's no VK scene outside of Japan you won't have access to merch, gigs and bands will keep disbanding, getting shitty production and doing low quality stuff and all that stuff y'all whine about all the time ?

I seriously hope that this is about VK influenced bands outside of Japan only, and that you aren`t implying Yohio and co. help support actual Japanese bands in any way... Or maybe I am wrong and X Japan or Vamps would never play NYC without Yohio...

Pretty sure people will still want to see Visual bands they like even without forcing themselves to try and enjoy foreign imitations that don`t bring anything to the table.

Japan didn't invent glam and yet still you're all here thirsting on japanese trannys.

Visual Kei is far from simply Glam. Glam, Hair Metal and so forth are some of the ancestors of the music, for sure, but they in no way define it, and any attempt to accuse modern VK of being a Glam or Hair Metal rip-off would be buried under the countless iterations of Visual bands which have put their own perspective and ideas into the a mix of ideas that come from all over the world.

Also no idea why tranny is said so much around here, and any sexuality at all is not a factor for me personally in terms of my enjoyment of VK.

Weebs are always like this.

Pretty sure you have more scrobbles of VK than most people here combined. But you`re exempt from any kind of infatuation with Japanese culture / products?

You think Japan is the most advanced placed on Earth and everytime people try to actually spread their culture you say this xenophobic shit, like, only Japan can do animation, cosplaying or VK.

I don`t see `culture` being spread, I hold culture to a somewhat higher esteem than thinking a little boy who paid to have make-up put on and producers make his band sound like somewhat old Gazette is spreading `culture`. Japanese culture has been spread for a very long time, bringing the world a wealth of new ideas, perspectives, and technologies. This has nothing to do with that, in my opinion.

The reason why so many often fail (and fail hard) at creating many `Japanese things`, is they lack the cultural background, understanding of how things came about, and why, as well as the actual nuances of PERSPECTIVE that Japan can add.

No, you don`t have to be of pure Yamato blood and raised in Honshu to get it, but simply looking and or listening to something Japanese and then copying it (usually poorly) WITHOUT ADDING ANY OF YOUR OWN PERSPECTIVE WHAT-SO-EVER usually ends up creating something that is not a cultural import, not a new take on foreign ideas, and not anything interesting to most `educated` people at all. It ends up being DERIVATIVE (junk).

These are all copies of western stuff. Japan didn't invent shit, so it shouldn't be limited to Japan only. Get over it.

All ideas come from somewhere, The Waltz to The Schmaltz, Ragtime, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, Hair Metal, Visual Kei.

Yet somehow, as usual, the Japanese thing is especially a rip-off, and Japanese people are up to their thieving ways again, right?

Let`s just ignore the fact that same Blues riffs are used in countless songs, guys like Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore copied those riffs as well as other forms of music extensively, then that cycle repeated over and over again, until today where we can google current lawsuits or Youtube compilations of rip-offs from all around the world.

But VK is to be shamed specifically!

Something about Japan has always led foreigners to proclaim some sort of ill conceived notion that they are some special unique counterfeiters who make nothing of their own... Until the reality that Japan is one of the biggest cultural exporters and innovators of all time sets in (if it ever does, as in, if people ever actually learn more about the book than just its cover).

Stop whinning and support the fuck out of western bands.

So you`re saying:

Hey, not much people support the Japanese bands in the first place, but let`s change any focus we had onto supporting these Western bands for some reason... Surely it is more important to support them than, you know, actually creative bands, or actual current or past ambassadors for Visual Kei and Japanese Rock, like Dir en grey, Larc, VAMPS, Girugamesh, X Japan, etc...

????

1:Ok, but there are in fact good non-japanese bands. 2:And most of the shit you listen to is ripped off of western bands. Support non-jap VK or the scene will die,

1:Okay, so why don`t we talk about those in other threads, and support them if we actually like them, for example, bands like Lilith, as opposed to you telling us we should care about this Yohio band that many seem to dislike and only follow out of morbid curiosity?

2: Disagree, and disagree.

Overall I would have expected a much different, richer opinion from someone who listens to so much Visual Kei music.

In regards to things expressed not solely inside of the post I quoted:

At this point, it seems like some terms are just becoming irrelevant due to over-use, like: Rip-off, or trying to insult a VK band by calling them Indie...

Also just lol at `better than indie-fag` bands, not even sure why the select use of derogatory terms is allowed, but whatever, moving on:

Since when are the Indie VK bands seen as lower quality or, more importantly, the term Major seen as any indication of quality?

I can name tons of Indie bands that play circles around the Major bands, and if popularity is your rating point, I`m guessing you think Pop Idols are the cream of the crop. Hey, in reality that`s what this Disreign thing kind of is, I see it as less Rock and more Pop considering someone did their looks for them based on a pre-existing style, someone made the video based on pre-existing videos, someone made the album art for them based on pre-existing album art, someone produced the track to sound just like at least one pre-existing track... Where is the creative input and process from the band here?

Also to the question of why would we listen to Japanese singing in English: Because again, they put their own perspective on it, and we get a fresh product (not all the time, but you know). No matter what people say VK and other forms of Japanese music are very unique and can`t be substituted. Contrast an Indie band playing a common style with some English lyrics to a recent Miyavi song co-written by other people. You see the difference perspective makes in creating a somewhat unique product compared to what many are finding disappointment with in Miyavi`s latest.

Anyway, just my thoughts, it goes off topic, it goes back on topic, then it goes somewhere else, but whatever, think what you will, peace.

EDIT: If you like this band or whatever else, cool. I personally don`t but am not judging anyone, just disagreeing with the blanket statements, prejudices, and weird spin that seems to be put on some things. No I don`t think this band is original or important for VK at all, but that`s just me and those things don`t even need to matter to everyone anyway.

This thread is going on waaaay longer than it should, if you dont like it please just leave. Comments on how bad u think this is are not helping anyone. You either like it or you dont. The purpose of the news section is to help share news to people that honestly are interested, not so you can all hate on a bands style or sound.

bla bla bla ... Support non-jap VK or the scene will die,

Dear moderately mad Jon-jon, I'm certain Rocketeer knows that visual kei has most its origins in the glam rock scene. You don't have to educate her on that and certainly not in such a belittling manner. Why else do you think she lists Mötley Crüe, Poison and Cinderella.

Not sure if that last sentence of your post is meant comically or if you're dead serious. :lol:

If you're serious: where did you get that idea from? And which groups do you think we ought to support if not this one?

I still wonder why people call this Visual Kei — I think Visual Kei should be a term that goes for Japanese bands only, since that is where it sprung from. Anything else with such extreme visuals I simply consider glam metal-or rock. This scene is especially big in Scandinavia and I am certain that Yohio is also one of those guys who started on Mötley Crüe, Poison and Cinderella. 

But yes, Yohio is not a good singer. I haven't got a clue why Japan was so eager to adopt him, and I'll probably never know.

cuz jap girls love da pretty manga-lookin white androgynous boyz

Ugh, there's no point wasting my time here explaining my point. I've realized trying to bring some conscience to people on this forum is pointless, because you'll just wind up proving my point with your responses. I'm sure some people here understand that, but I won't waste my time anymore, don't worry. I've been into VK for many years and as the years go by the worst the fans get. I'm not saying my taste is superior and I'm always right or anything like that. I used to think gaijin VK was wrong too. I just realized how necessary it is eventually, and was trying to make you guys realize that too, but I give up. I won't even read shit posted in those threads anymore. It disgusts me. Which is why I don't even try to make friends with people who like VK anymore, no matter how much I like it. It's always the same bullshit... So yeah, go on and keep boycotting the western scene and getting mad whenever people call you weebs. Let's see how better VK will get.

That's a lot of words for saying nothing at all. How did you expect saying everyone disgusts you will work out if you're "trying to get a point across"?

Anyway, I don't think anyone is boycotting the non-Japanese -vk?- scene just because... because. People don't see any noteworthy groups, that's all. Where's the western answer to Versailles or the GazettE or even a newer group like MEJIBRAY? We only see bands formed by boys who are not just inspired by these visual kei acts, which would be okay, but merely try to copy them and doing terrible at that. There's another thread somewhere on this forum that hosts a very large collection of what I'm talking about: all talentless hacks who likely don't even have a team of ghost writers to back them up like many Japanese vk acts do (presumably). Though YOHIO is slightly more popular than those, there's still a lot of people who would add them to that thread without hesitation.

I bet if a Swedish or American group started dressing like Kamijo&buddies AND has some good memorable tunes while they're at it, people WILL listen to them. But right now there's simply nothing to support in the western -vk?- scene, and I don't know if there ever will be.

So what good does it do to support "visual kei" acts outside of Japan if they're even worse than the mediocre acts in Japan right now?

[edit]

If you're worried about a dying vk scene, but you start supporting bad groups who resemble vk who are not from Japan, I think that you are in fact contributing a little bit to the scene dying. Not that I myself care too much about this (I live in the past anyway :ninja:) , but just... you know... it's not really helping, that's all.

Edited by Des

Ugh, there's no point wasting my time here explaining my point. I've realized trying to bring some conscience to people on this forum is pointless...[tl;dr]

So where, or when did you do this? I couldn't see any efforts so far.

Sign in to follow this