Pretsy

THE J-POP THREAD a.k.a JAYYYYPAAAWP

The idol (don't be scared, they're not exactly high pitched or look like it lol) group 風男塾 (Fudanjuku) has a surprisingly neat sounding album out. Might be a grower. 

Well, seems the old DAOKO is gone for good. This new song is really generic sounding, yet still pleasant.  @beni @Carmelzors @Amoz

I know hip hop isn't super popular in Japan, but still...her change in sound is disturbing.

Yet it will be merely a b-side for her new single instead (other A-sides would involve Teddyloid = more ME!ME!ME!-ish EDM/pop-rap stuff)

also, that video is anything but PC at this point (not that no one cares but...Kodama, what the heck are you doing)

Those guys who dance throughout made it worth it, lmao. R.I.P. daoko, I can't see myself loving it, but it's not terrible. The chorus mainly is pretty nice and catchy. Will probably stick to her really early stuff though. Also I'm still not used to being able to see her. X'D

I actually quite like that new DAOKO song.

Anyhow, so @benidoesn't get too upset about that :X'D:, here's something she'll like:

Edited by Amoz

8 hours ago, Amoz said:

I actually quite like that new DAOKO song.

Anyhow, so @benidoesn't get too upset about that :X'D:, here's something she'll like:

You're forgiven.

I've been recommended this by @CAT5 too! Clearly I should jump on this! I wasn't expecting it to sound this perfect, omg. I promise I won't exterminate daoko now. :P

Necro update for 2k17:

- Natsume Mito will have a new album churned out by courtesy of Mr. Japanese Guetta, I mean - Yasutaka Nakata. Only 3 new songs though, and the rest does not have that oomph old Ystk fans would love to feel once again

- CORNELIUS is back! A new single done in the cooperation with that Shintaro guy from Yura Yura Teikoku will be released around late April.

- Especia will kaisan. No promising future for long-time idol acts, boo.

- Towa Tei's EMO album is making socks go giddy-giddy~

- Kominami Yasuha is calling kaisans too...

- If you have hopes and dreams for this duo unlike me, keep an eye on new Charisma.com chunk of chunez

- KPP seems to disoriented now that she doesn't know whether to drop the shtick or not, time to break the shackles off Nakata~

- Perfume and a new single. Render me emotion-free now.

- Ryuichi Sakamoto's comeback...J-pop or just avant?

Edited by Alroy

Has anyone heard Wednesday Campanella's new album SUPERMAN? It's really freaking good. And it's on the US iTunes so I've been listening thru Apple Music. Every song is great if you like her. Her best album yet. 

Ayumi Hamasaki is going deaf.

http://aramajapan.com/news/pop-music-emergency-ayumi-hamasakis-non-deaf-ear-is-going-deaf/75372/#more-75372

Since the mid-2000s, a huge topic among fans of J-Pop Empress Ayumi Hamasaki has been about the gradually worsening condition of her hearing. From feelings of sorrow, to worry, to being the butt of a joke from haters; as a singer, it has no doubt affected her vocal technique.

Today, the Ayu took to her Team Ayu blog to talk about her current health condition and revealed that her right ear is beginning to weaken after years of compensating for her fully deaf left ear.

After talking about her knee injury recovery, Hamasaki writes:

Just before this year’s tour began I received a second blow – my hearing started to deteriorate further. My semicircular canals had blown, and I was experiencing crippling dizziness. I wasn’t able to walk in a straight line, and was often reduced to vomiting in the restroom at the rehearsal studio. I tried to put a brace face on things, but was told after various hearing tests that my right ear (which had been working overtime to compensate for my deaf left ear) was weakening fast. I don’t have a clear memory of my journey home after that. I just remember wondering how I, as a singer, would cope with two useless ears. Other than that, I was in darkness.

None of this is surprising considering how her left ear got in such awful condition.

During her concert tour 2000 Act 1, Ayu caught a cold accompanied by an ear infection. She was warned by her doctor that she needed to ease up her exposure to loud noises so her ear infection could heal. However, she only spent a few days in the hospital to recover to get back to touring and surrounding herself with loud noises. Being the hard-working and motivated business woman she is, at the top of her game and fame and devoted to her art and the coins, she did not cancel or postpone any tour dates until Act 2.

During performance rehearsals for her DOME TOUR 2001, it was believed that Ayu began suffering tinnitus, a ringing in the ear that is caused by constant exposure to sound.

Despite the numerous warnings for years that she should avoid loud noises and ease up on her immense touring schedule, Ayu continued at full speed. For years to come, she continued her schedule of at least one tour per year, a New Year’s countdown concert event and appearances at a-nation each year.

Edited by Traxan

Just realized that Leyona released a new album called "SMMR" last month. It's on spotify, so Imma def have to check it out cuz this is pretty dope.

Shout out to the bassist from PETROLZ in the video, rockin the afro!

Holy shit, I just realized I never posted in this thread lol. It seems to have died out, but maybe it's not too late for a revival.

I'm a long time fan of JPOP, currently listening to music from as far back as the 80's, but my heart belongs to the bands from the 90s like TRF, ZARD, Globe, Day After Tomorrow, and a lot of others under the powerhouse that was AVEX at the time. The aesthetic of this era of JPOP is real to me. Even bands that we consider visual like GLAY and L'arc-en-Ciel were on my radar for some time because they had pop rock songs that became popular along with other bands like B'z, Spitz, and even the pillows during their early years. Never got around to listening to Mr. Children or Southern All Stars though 🤔.

More of my nostalgia talk here.

Spoiler

The so called "Queens of JPOP" entering the new millennia like Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, Kumi Koda, of course Ayumi Hamasaki, and the 5 or so artists over the years that went under the first name Hitomi lol.

Pop rock from artists like Nanase Aikawa, Do As Infinity, The Brilliant Green, etc. were also some of my jams.

Electro/Dance Pop starting with M.O.VE. and Dream, later with Perfume and artists like Nami Tamaki, and Ami Suzuki were in full swing back then too with their own blend of the genre.

I think anime/video games helped JPOP get more recognized internationally and then more artists like Rina Aiuchi, Maaya Sakamoto, and Mika Nakashima cropped up to fame.

Man, time flies lol. I'm curious as to how many underground artists and bands existed back then, from those who know more, as I'd like to one day return to the 90's era and see what I can find.

Seems this thread cropped up right around when I took a break to listen to VK as my newer main. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about new artists since my return a few years ago, so this thread definitely helps. Hopefully one day I'll catch up cuz I can't even remember new names and who's actually still active lol.

Any 90's JPOP fans still around here?

Hah, I realized I asked about this thread, found it and then forgot to post what made me search for it in the first place ^^;; 

ANYWAY I think I went in a bit different direction with my jpop journey back in the day than you @YuyoDrift. It's not 90's, but I suppose still pretty old lol I used to listen to hella lot KOKIA, Eiko Shimamiya, YUI, antennasia and kinda on the other end of the spectrum BOOM BOOM SATELLITES, capsule, she (not really japanese, but signed on in Japan), DAISHI DANCE. Namie Amuro, Kumi Koda, Ami Suzuki and Urata Naoya were also somewhere in there but in single songs. 

And onto what I wanted to post:

❤️ 

Definitely remember KOKIA when she and a few others like KOTOKO, LiSA, and I think Mami Kawada started bringing the whole anime song (anison) craze from Nico Nico to the mainstream. Last artists I remember before I took my break were Eir Aoi with her music in KILL LA KILL/SAO and Maon Kurosaki with her tracks in HOTD.

I've never heard of Eiko Shimamiya, which is odd because I used to listen to all of the above artists, including others like MELL, which her music reminds me of. Also a tad like artist Lia from a few years before, but she was more into the trance/eurobeat stuff.

I did listen to BBS and Capsule, but I didn't want to spill it all out and have nothing to talk about lol.

She I'm surprised to be brought up here, as not a lot of people listen to chiptunes/8bit/electrobit stuff anymore, and Orion was actually nice to listen to.

They often compare them to Towa Tei and Cornelius, right?

Eiko Shimamiya, MELL, Mami Kawada, and KOTOKO were all part of the same I've Sound generation which produced a ton of the major anisons, visual novel songs, and techno/trance stuff at the time. I'd reckon the I've Sound omnibuses are my most-listened-to albums because they're fantastic on long commutes. 詩月カオリ (Kaori Utatsuki), Mami Kawada, and KOTOKO are my favs of that generation.

Spoiler

Edited by colorful人生

23 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Definitely remember KOKIA when she and a few others like KOTOKO, LiSA, and I think Mami Kawada started bringing the whole anime song (anison) craze from Nico Nico to the mainstream. Last artists I remember before I took my break were Eir Aoi with her music in KILL LA KILL/SAO and Maon Kurosaki with her tracks in HOTD.

I've never heard of Eiko Shimamiya, which is odd because I used to listen to all of the above artists, including others like MELL, which her music reminds me of. Also a tad like artist Lia from a few years before, but she was more into the trance/eurobeat stuff.

Surprisingly I was never into anime, despite my best efforts, so I got to know 99% of my jpop separate from that wave. I think the only artist I found because of anime was YUI with her Bleach song, I think it was Rolling Star? And then Maximum the Hormone (also from Bleach lol) but that's hardly pop.

I know that both KOKIA and Eiko had some anime stuff, but only because of the cover art lol I liked them both because I've been a huge Enya fan since childhood and they have a similar vibe ^^ KOKIA THO MAN, I could wax poetic about her music for hours~ 

I, on the other hand, never heard of MELL. lemme get on that!

Let me link you some of my Eiko's favs: 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, colorful人生 said:

Eiko Shimamiya, MELL, Mami Kawada, and KOTOKO were all part of the same I've Sound generation which produced a ton of the major anisons, visual novel songs, and techno/trance stuff at the time.

Yeah, funny how @YuyoDrift knows all but Eiko while I only know her of this selection LOL 

27 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

I did listen to BBS and Capsule, but I didn't want to spill it all out and have nothing to talk about lol.

She I'm surprised to be brought up here, as not a lot of people listen to chiptunes/8bit/electrobit stuff anymore, and Orion was actually nice to listen to.

They often compare them to Towa Tei and Cornelius, right?

DUDE, I love chiptune/glitch/and just about any genre of electronic music probably but I digress. 

I found she way before he signed up with Pony Canyon and was still posting his music for free on his website. I had vested interest because he's actually from Poland and it blew my teenage mind that my fellow countryman can make music that I'd actually like to listen to :P coloris and chiptek were my life back then. 

I couldn't tell you what he was compared to, sry, my music knowledge is as vast as it is shallow.