Pretsy

THE J-POP THREAD a.k.a JAYYYYPAAAWP

holy shit track 5

i never used to like passepied but this is album of the year material. 

You ought to check their previous album (Makunouchi-ISM) in case you didn't . A little bit simpler and safer, but seeing as you "caught the gist" behind their music, I can imagine you enjoying it too :)

"Shaba-Lover" is one of those surprise J-AOTYs along with Yukawa Shione and Uwanosora'67 in my case :)

^Acquired taste + nostalgia for 90s J-pop glory (Passepied tend to remind me of JUDY AND MARY for the most part) are the main ingredients for liking so yeah lol.

Anyways

Kindan no Tasuketsu decided to go all lezzie with new album promos...that bunny though (then again, all that same Swedindie pop-worshiping glory, sigh)

Daoko's B-side sounds a bit better than that Komuro-y yet unsurprisingly dull A-side. Still not a fan of her major direction (took me months to realize her sellout-ish factor here).

Let's revive things here for a moment by throwbacks:

Which J-pop/-related release do you consider to be THE classic (your own personal take ofc) and why?

^ I really, really dislike this song for some reason. To the point I don't think I ever hear it again. lol I listened to a LQ rip a while ago and watching the video now only made it worse. To go from RITC/PCU, which was thoroughly great, to this...

there's always an element of children's talent show about them that makes them impossible to like

ahahaha! I feel ya, but for me, that's part of their charm. I feel like they have a kind of natural cuteness to them, which is refreshing in a land where's it's usually so forced.

Will give new Suiyoubi a chance (even though I have seen a lot of criticism, especially after her "Ra"-PV) - but thankies zombie for reminding me:

Daoko is gonna have a real hard time there ;)

edit: Clammbon's album off this year isn't as bad as folks used to describe it earlier - give it a bit more time and it'll become your good ol' Clammbon release with a good share of surprises ;)

^ The new Suiyobi isn't perfect, but it's been such a lackluster year for me, that it's easily in my top favorites so far.

I didn't think the new clammbon was bad, but it didn't quite grab me like '2010' did.

Now that we are reaching EOTY, I might as well post most probable candidates (some of them) in my top list of this year:

Dempagumi inc.

Tamaya 2060% and Mayemada are my favorite pop songwriting anarchists of this decade. Also: Kiryu of current J-pop idol scene pretty much (random arrangements, craziness, vocalcraft etc.)

Sugar's Campaign

While Especia (at least in my POV) rocked last year in terms of urban/city pop grooves, Seiho and Avec Avec churned out this real grower. Talk about TRULY POSITIVE record (no, not you Tofubeats).

Passepied

From poor girl's SFP to something you don't hear everyday in the midst of high-pitched j-pop girl/girl-fronted collectives. Technical brilliance, adorable quirkiness.

Bonjour Suzuki

A real shame that casual listeners are disparaging this newcomer as a "Daoko knockoff" even though Daoko herself never really set any specific styles she would've pioneered. Nice, dreamy Grimes/Chara crossover with ASMR-y ambiance.

Here's to hoping that more nice surprises will be up sooner or later!

It's been a weak year for me on the Jpop front, but the releases I've enjoyed the most so far are: Shione Yukawa, BOMI, Ropes, Suiyoubi no Campanella, Nakano Yoshie, Sebu Hiroko, and Atlantis Airport.

So both of my favourite members of KAT-TUN are out now. Kind of happy Junno is jumping ship at this point, tbh. Surprised he's passing up some of that 10th anniversary tour money though.

Looks like TK from ling tosite sigure composed a song for Ando Yuko's upcoming album. I was pretty hyped when I saw this on twitter, but having listened to the sample on itunes, it sounded like your generic ballad. I didn't hear anything remotely resembling TK's signature style either. Ah well, here's to hoping that the entire song turns out better.

http://www.ando-yuko.com/news/special.php

something like this?

To whom ever this may concern (Perfume's nyuu arubumu, doesn't deserve its own thread tbh):

New album "Cosmic Explorer" out April 6, Japanese and US tour also announced.

01. Navigate
02. Cosmic Explorer
03. Miracle Worker
04. Next Stage with YOU
05. STORY
06. FLASH(Album-mix)
07. Sweet Refrain(Album-mix)
08. Baby Face
09. TOKIMEKI LIGHTS(Album-mix)
10. STAR TRAIN(Album-mix)
11. Relax In The City
12. Pick Me Up