Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

Recommended Tracks: February 2015

Spoiler HTML code

Best New Tracks: February 2015

Best New Tracks is a new series brought to you by MH's review crew! Every month we'll be highlighting brand-new Japanese songs worth checking out, so stay tuned! Feel free to comment or discuss any of this month's picks and even offer your own as well!

@Zeus's picks:

"戦-ikusa-" by 和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band)

albumartist

The hype train is officially a hype rocket and thrusters are now initiated. Wagakki-Band is a juggernaut of win unable to be stopped. Ever since "Senbonzakura" set the otaku part of YouTube on fire, this band's rise has been impossible to stop. They've made strides in a year which take other bands three or four to reach. The three members of Hanafugetsu have realized there's a winning combination in fusing traditional Japanese instruments with the spirit of rock and roll, and they're stretching it as far as it can go. Note that stretching isn't necessarily a bad term. There's only so much one can do when restricted to a theme this precise, and yet Wagakki finds ways to surprise again and again. 戦-ikusa- is only their second original song, and yet they already been approached to have this single promote the anime "Sengoku Musou" (which if you didn't know, is a big deal). Wagakki-Band seem desperate to fill a hole in the Japanese music scene that's been missing for some time and I look forward to our new overlords delivering lots of quality material in the near future.

"marionette" by Lycaon

album imgartist

I may not have enjoyed camera obscura to a large extent, but this I enjoyed quite a lot. It might even be my favorite song from camera obscura! A boss song in a tiny package, marionette is worth two minutes of your time simply because Lycaon went in a direction they've never attempted before and came out successful. Equal parts creepy and enticing backed by a dark cabaret atmosphere from beginning to end, my biggest gripe with this song is that it's the only one of it's kind. Some Japanese bands have experimented with a similar sound here and there, the foremost figure in this regard being LIPHLICH, but besides them there's no other band really doing this kind of "sound". If marionette is anything to go by, this is one fad that is right up Lycaon's alley. I hope they continue to explore this sound to some degree in future releases.

@fitear1590's picks:

"For You" by Czecho No Republic

albumartist

Czecho No Republic has unfortunately been hit-or-miss for me since their 2011 album Maminka, but the addition of keyboardist/backup vocalist Mai Takahashi breathed some new life into the band. While she doesn't often do lead vocals, my favorite CNR songs seem to be the ones where she does, like this! "For You" is a chipper tune that sounds like something Madrid-based indie pop label Elefant Records would sign in an instant: jaunty horns, a breezy chorus, and a healthy heaping of "la la la's". This song might be overly happy for some, but it's just what I need right now to get me through this cold-ass winter!

"ツキナミ (tsukinami)" by 分島花音 (Kanon Wakeshima)

album imgartist

I haven't followed K-Wakeshima since her disappointing second album, but I ate up her Mana-tastic first album! While "tsukinami" sounds nothing like the old cello-wielding gothic lolita we used to enjoy, I still find myself strangely drawn to this song! It has a dense arrangement with somewhat noisy "rock" instrumentation, a barrage of piano, and orchestral backing. There is a fluttery quality to both the song's fast-paced melody and vocals that is quite pleasant. If she isn't Mana's protégé anymore, then this is an interesting and welcome new direction for her!

"endless" by ねごと (NEGOTO)

album imgartist

NEGOTO's single from their forthcoming album VISION delivers the synths in full-force, which, for me, means they are in top form! Calm verses and explosive choruses are strung together by a constellation of spacey synthwork. Towards the middle of the song, a prominent bassline and new wavey guitar build the song up for a dancey, anthemic outro. As always, the instrumentation from all four members is tight and they each have some moments to shine throughout the track. I don't know about you, but I'm certainly ready to hear this album now!

Watch the PV

"マーブル (marble)" by ユナイト (UNiTE.)

album imgartist

"Marble" is the debut composition from UNiTE.'s fresh meat drummer, Sana. How does he stack up? Well, he definitely sounds like he belongs! In fact, I wouldn't have a hard time believing that guitarist Shiina Mio had actually written this pleasantly heavy, yet twinkly track. Yui's vocals are as agile as ever, effortlessly gliding through gentle verses and powerful choruses. Sana's joining the band seems to have ushered in higher production values and generally more mature songwriting; hopefully, this stays the case! I'm looking forward to hearing the b-sides come March!

's picks:

"Paper Planes" by ONE OK ROCK

album imgartist

This song was everything absolutely no one was expecting from the lads in ONE OK ROCK. Armed with Sleeping With Sirens frontman Kellin Quinn, this track is an earworm from the first note to the last. It's a fun, rebellious tune that sounds like it would have made a proper summer anthem if released just a few months later. The guitars have a Red Hot Chili Peppers gusto to them that is backed by a ferocious drum beat -- only overshadowed by the sheer catchiness of the vocal melody. Quinn is the spotlighted vocalist in this track, fangirls beware, but it never turns into a SWS song in the process. So I definitely recommend it to fans of either band, both, or neither.

"Seven Deadly Sins" by MAN WITH A MISSION

album imgartist

MWAM are showing more maturity in their recent work. "Seven Deadly Sins" follows the trend with more depth both musically and emotionally than we've been privy to in the past. But that's precisely what makes it great. The band can't be all piss and vinegar all the time. The lyrics are easily relatable as they focus on the every day struggle with life's problems of all kinds, and often having no way to make sense of the chaos. But the song has an overall optimistic feeling that carries through, and takes a listener up to find inner strength.

"実験前" (Jikkenmae) by indigo la End

album imgartist

The album 幸せが溢れたら upon first glance feels a bit predictable. The band released a lot of the songs as promotional material and it may have worked against them in the end. However, with closer inspection songs like "実験前" step out of the woodwork and take you by surprise. The drum roll laden with slap bass intro is a cue that this track is a beast. All throughout is a frantic tension that drives the song to climax in an absolutely insane layered guitar solo, and my only complaint is I want this song to be a whole lot longer. With so much to take in, the 4 minutes seems to fly by all too quick.

"Kawareru" by theCharmPark

album imgartist

Another wonderful find that I stumbled across this month is indie artist theCharmPark's (ex. Hemenway) dual single "Kawareru". It's a nice, subtle blend of electronic elements and pop rock. The lyrical content is surprisingly heavy for such an upbeat song. It starts off breezy and mild but grows with each chorus until it explodes in synths and an EDM heavy drum beat. The depth and journey of the song is a fun ride I've kept on repeat for the last few days.

"アカペラ" (A capella) by ペンタゴン (Pentagon)

album imgartist

This song plays on just the right amount of classic and modern visual kei influences. A lot of bands are after this sound lately, mixing electrorock with big wubwub-core breakdowns, but I have to give Pentagon credit for doing a particularly good job at it. Also, something in the singer's voice gives me Under Code Production heyday nostalgia feels. So between the clashes of emotion and the song's non-stop energy, it keeps a constant momentum all the way through. It's not hard to imagine the crowd losing it to this song live.

"なくならない" (Nakunaranai) by 左右 (Sayuu)

album imgartist

Sayuu's simple and almost childish style was hard for me to digest at first. But this track's cute and quirky air is its charm, and something unique that makes it instantly stand out. To top off the whimsical feeling, the duo brings out the big guns: A kazoo! And yet, the song maintains a potent groove that will keep you bouncing along. This band isn't for everyone, but if you're in the mood for something unusual and interesting, I highly suggest you give them a shot!

@beni's picks:

"marionette" by Lycaon

album imgartist

At two minutes and thirty-five seconds long, Lycaon's newest release hides a diamond in the rough. It's a petite track inside a packed album, but it still manages to outshine the majority of 'camera obscura' with its simplistic yet catchy structure. Everything about it is repetitive, making for a straightforward formula, which results in one heck of an instantly catchy, memorable and headbang-able song.

"夜明けの街 (Yoake no Machi)" by CICADA

album imgartist

The disrupted and jumpy vocal effect right at the beginning is one of the more stand out starters of tracks in this album and the one which kept me coming back the most. The track itself has a cute sound to it thanks to the effects over the vocals which normally do sound adorable but this effect highlights this more so. The romantic and innocent sound of '夜明けの街' is sure to capture such sweet feels of listeners. It's time to cosy up with your sweetheart when you're giving this one a spin.

"そつぎょう (Sotsugyou)" by daoko

album imgartist

daoko's whispery rapping vocals are perfect for quick tracks with more elements happening within it. However, this slower paced track shows a quieter approach in her work that is just as captivating. In an album filled with different sounds in each track, 'そつぎょう' stands out for not being this way. Accompanied with only a piano through most of the track, it's a different sound compared to her other songs on the album because of its simplicity. It still holds the wonderous and dreamy imagery due to its fluffy chorus tricklingy with buzzes of synths. A very cute track sure to calm you down and send you into a dream.

"へその緒 (Hesonoo)" by 黒百合と影 (Kuroyuri to Kage)

album imgartist

In the midst of an album that doesn't exhaust due to high energy and frantic instrumental play throughout, only a couple are as slow paced as this one. This particular track is a god send in that sense. It's the lengthiest in the album and is probably not the best choice to show off their typical kind of sound, but it's certainly one of the more interesting songs on the debut album. The bridge involves a brilliant build up before a beautiful, melodious chorus. Throughout this, there are still heavy sections sure to entice you to check out their stuff if you're more into that. The flow is incredibly easy to follow and to lose yourself in.

"Future,Super Duper,Nova" by X4

album imgartist

This newly formed boy band includes the flawless J-pop singer Yuya Matsushita within the team. Obviously, this had caught online attention and my own interest. I wasn't expecting much from the lads but because it's Matsushita, I couldn't say no. 'XVISION' has actually become my most favored album of 2015 at the moment, and this track did that for me in particular. With incredible replay value, the boys take on a K-pop like approach, with one hell of a melodious and catchy chorus. The rapping is very Korean sounding which only adds to the attraction, but it is, indeed, the chorus that wins it for me. With higher group vocals and a DJ like sound to it, it's so fun, it's sure to get others attached too!

"TWO HEARTS" by 家入レオ (Leo Ieiri)

album imgartist

Winner of my young J-pop female spot goes to this lass. It was a tough song choice (and artist choice in that matter!) with so many possible picks but 'TWO HEARTS' continues to tug at my own heart strings. The opening has a very catchy beat, being instantly recognisable after the album listen. As the song goes on until it hits the chorus with some lovely background vocals, it becomes a soothing and sweet number. The melody captured me on first listen and it does so on each play. The opening and ending of the song makes this even more of an enjoyable track.

"さんすくみ (Sansukumi)" by 分島花音 (Kanon Wakeshima)

album imgartist

Wakeshima has always been my favourite solo artist, so knowing she had an album coming out, I was on it like a hyperactive kid is to their most beloved pacifier. That may be exaggerating it, since her sound change has bothered even me. This is due to her taking a different musical direction when Mana of Malice Mizer/Moi Dix Mois stepped away from producing her works after her debut album release. It's disappointing since she's gone off into the opposite sound of her gothic Lolita style. However, songs like 'さんすくみ' express how much worth and praise she still deserves even if her music is more poppy. The sound in this one works perfectly with her vocals, surprisingly. It drips with kawaiiness thanks to the sweet beat and her sweet tone. And thank god for the cello inclusion still!

"至上の人生 (Shijou no Jinsei)" by 椎名林檎 (Sheena Ringo)

album imgartist

Ringo's very recent release may have disappointed most by judgement of her Last.fm shoutbox, but her latest single title track still delivers with an effortless and tireless flow and delivery. The tune has an epic sound to it during the build up and as the chorus reaches the epicness of it all, this sound really spices the whole piece up alongside Shiina's saucy tone; as well as a touch of emotional impact due to the vocal delivery. It's quite breathtaking due to this and it has repeat value as I found myself replaying the track after the first listen a good few times. It's definitely one to check out if you missed this release, at least.

"WING to HEAVEN" by DIV

album imgartist

What caught me on this one was mainly the chorus. It's the only track within 'SECRET' to utilise some absolutely stunning high vocalisation from Chisa. The song is memorable to me just because of this fact. But with a catchy guitar solo before the final chorus hits us along with a constant fantastical beat, all this makes for one irresistibly beautiful piece. And with the most glorious song closer in the whole album, I'm finding it impossible hearing any faults in this track at all.

@CAT5's picks:

"all is white" by Anoice

album imgartist

Anoice is a modern classical/post-rock quintet helmed by master sound-crafters Takihiro Kido and Yuki Murata. Their compositions are usually delicate and minimal, yet the subtle dynamics in their music have a profound effect. "all is white" from their new album "into the shadows" is short, but poignant and brilliantly captures the essence of the band. Perfect music to lose yourself to on rainy/snowy day.

"Ground" by CARD

album imgartist

Up-and-coming indie-rock band CARD (the new band of both ex-LOSTAGE guitarists) just released their sophomore album "LUCKY ME". While the album as a whole is well done, it's fraught with chill and ethereal indie-rock tunes that are perhaps a bit TOO laidback. In fact, most of the songs tend to bleed into one another and the album quickly devolves into yawn-inducing terrirory. However, the opening track "Ground", chill as it is, stands above the rest of the album with its sun-drenched riffage, tasteful use of electronic claps, and its faintly progressive nature.

"街の底" by eastern youth

album imgartist

Japanese emo legends eastern youth recently released their 16th album "ボトムオブザワールド (bottom of the world)" and it clearly shows that time hasn't dulled the band's edges, even if their career is close to 30 years old now. "街の底" is a charging opener that blends angular indie-rock instrumentation with all of the punk drive that the band originated with.

"ンスターペアレンツ (Monster Parents)" - Jin-Machine

album imgartist

If you can't already tell by the album cover, or pics like this.....or this. .....or *cough* this, these guys are complete and utter trolls. In fact, if there were such a thing as "troll-kei", I'm sure they'd be the flagbearers of it. Jin-Machine gives no fucks and their second album is fun, cheesy, and sloppy, yet it's all the purposeful work of musicians who know exactly what they're doing. "Monster Parents" is a hilariously over-the-top song and kind of a tongue-and-cheek social commentary about bad parenting, but most importantly, it's a rocking tune that's amusing to listen to.

"Rep(110)%4" by loqto

album imgartist

Having formed only in 2012, loqto is a fledgeling instrumental math-rock band that just released their first EP called "Replication". For such a young band, these guys have impressive chops. Their playing is tight and technical and they're progressive to a fault, but their songwriting lacks soul and character. As impressive as they may be, they still sound like a nondescript math-rock band at the moment. "Rep(110)%4" from their new EP is perhaps the most memorable song on it, though. It's short and not as mind-bogglingly progressive as their other tracks, but it has just enough melody to stick with you.

"君を壊すガラスの衝動 (Kimi o kowasu garasu no shoudou)" by Lycaon

album imgartist

Lycaon's "camera obscura" seems to have garnered mixed reviews all across the board, but if one thing about the album is certain - it's excessive. Whether you're referring to the number of tracks or SEs, the amount of effects on Yuuki's voice, or the sheer amount of sounds crammed into the songs, there's a lot going on with this album. When you add inadequate production to the equation, it's easy for some of their ambitious arrangements to end up with tacky results. "君を壊すガラスの衝動" may very well be a "safe" song compared to others on the album, but it's amongst the most well written. It's a sign of welcome restraint in their music, but also a show of finesse in their songwriting. Nothing in this song sounds out of place or too overbearing for the production values.

"Gengar" by Sel'm

album imgartist

Sel'm's latest single "SCARLET OF THE GUILTY " is a great take on metalcore and it gets bonus points for not following the common trend of doing typical ballads or OMGRAWR tracks as b-sides. The entire single works well, but "Gengar" is especially rocking - from the verses, to the chorus, to the mid-song change-up. It almost sounds like an even mixture beween the gazettE and lynch. The only drawback to this song, and the single in general, is the muddy production.

"Foster Mother" by sukekiyo

album imgartist

With the release of VITIUM, sukekiyo is proving that they're a beast of their own, viable by their own merits - and not just DIR EN GREY #2. The two bands bands may share some simularities, but sukekiyo is already yielding tunes to distinguish themselves. "Foster Mother" in particular is a peculiar track. It's a dark, trip-hop-esque tune with an ethereal seductiveness to it and a steady groove. It's the most straightforward song on VITIUM (which probably makes it the most readily memorable), but it also has an immersive quality to it - one that easily lends itself to repeat listens.

"game over" by 大橋トリオ (Ohashi Trio)

album imgartist

Ohashi Trio (he's actually just one person) creates some of the smoothest pop music around and has some of the smoothest vocals to boot. He tends to keep his music organic, usually dabbling in acoustic or piano-based pop with light jazzy influences, but every once and a while, he breaks out a soulful, funky track like this. The results are always lovely too.

"Setting Sun" by 疋田哲也(Tetsuya Hikita)+NIL

album imgartist

Back in 2012, 疋田哲也+NIL released their first album for free through the Japanese electronic netlabel Bunkai-Kei records, and now they've hit the major league by releasing their latest album "Ferry" on PROGRESSIVE FOrM (the label that houses Japanese electronic greats like AOKI Takamasa, Ametsub, Geskia!, and more!). 疋田哲也+NIL produce exactly what you'd expect from the label - beautiful, introspective, and intricate electronic music. "Setting Sun" is one of the more overtly melodic songs on the album and it's a fantastic example of what this duo are capable of.

Have to agree with the Kanon Wakeshima comments, I was really impressed with this album generally speaking. The two more electronic tracks were a huge surprise to me and being a big fan of electronic music it was something that made me very happy. Sansukumi was probably my second favorite on the album overall, my first being Geijutsuka no Kawaii Souzoutachi. Additionally, the title track Tsukinami and the second single Killy Killy Joker are close to the top of the list. 

As for the Div song, it's flawless of course. I haven't had the extreme pleasure of hearing Secret in full yet, but that was one of the tracks I was looking most forward to and it didn't disappoint, but it almost doesn't even sound like them. I'm trying to think of the band this song reminds me of, but it isn't Div. Anyway, it's great and I look forward to hearing the whole album.

I like how the short lists are at the top and by the time you get to Cat's list it's just like... are you sure this is the shortest month of the year? >_>;

But seriously, there is so much here I still need to check it. It's insane. I need like a week between February and March to catch up. 

That new Wagakki Band tho. ♥

And I feel like I should check out new Kanon Wakeshima, because I didn't like her old stuff and the songs here sound like a practically entirely new artist. 

If the rest of CICADA's stuff sounds like this, combined with Silent Siren's album I am more than happy to overdose on kawaii kei this month. I need it.

Also, new X4 fan right here. I know beni said kpop influence, but I was not prepared. That is spot on. And I am diggin' it.

I've seen Eastern Youth's name around but I never checked them out until this and I also need them in my life. Fffffff how did I not listen to them before now?

You had me at 'troll kei', tbh.

Well, I will post my picks too (:

• STORY by DIV

This ballad song is kind epic to me to hear, because Chisa voice is one of my best frontman when singing a ballad or slow music. The melody from the song is perfect fitting with his voice.

• marionette by Lycaon

This choice was not very difficult, not because half were past releases and intro, but because this song catch my attention when I first listened on my ipod. Also the album is a good release.

• Dreamin' Boy by CAPSULE

I have never listened to CAPSULE before, but I'm on a eletro music life period, so I tried the new album on the shower, I jumped a lot on this song, so thumbs up for it.

That's it (:

Oh la la:

@Zeus:

Wagakki Band - speaking of them...well, you know me already since we are on the same bandwagon, bwahaha... >:V

@fitear1590:

Kanon Wakeshima - I used to hate her a lot in the past but man, did she really toned down on faux-lolita frills? Might check her out :>

Negoto - wish I had more time so I could delve deeper into their repertoire since they are really the band who know their shit, seriously.

UNiTE. - to me, Unite was always the case of 'drastic' up-and-downs (or "hits and misses"). Seeing as the sample is much closer to the "hit" than a "miss", I might check their new single out once it gets here :)

:

indigo La End - the song you posted happens to be my prime highlight off their latest album, and you nailed it with your description. :)

Sayuu - What would happen if you stripped Midori down a bit more? I am very curious about these two, :lol:

@beni

Daoko - <33333  + fun fact: according to the girl herself, she saved "the best bits of the recording session" for her major debut while the rest went to her last indie album a.k.a this release. So we better cross our fingers for stellar material <3

Kuroyuri to Kage - I can see why @Uglymouth pushed this band forth in the first place: they are certainly a band who are capable of attracting people who still grieve over long-lost heydays of 00s VK  back to the scene (along with Dezert, Diaura and alike). Might not be exactly my "GOAT" choice, but definitely deserves an honorable mention from me :)

Kanon Wakeshima - read above

Ringo Sheena - It's good to see at least some positiveness in Ringo's fanbase once in a while (seeing as Ringobox is already on the verge of being filled with "rip Ringo" spams). The single itself might not be her best, but I'd take this over NIPPON any day, lmao.

@CAT5:

Jin-Machine  - LOL this band (thx for introducing them, @Senedjem). I *might* keep an eye on them...*might*.

Spookykyo...sukiyaki...I mean, sukekiyo - you nailed it with your words on them being truly "a beast of their own" (I think I shared similar thoughts somewhere around here?). Good job :V

Ohashi Trio - this guy used to be way too mellow for my tastes (the first time I heard of him was through Cat's plugs, and the second time was during the spin of Utada Hikaru tribute album), but your sample convinced me to think otherwise. I might check him out as well.

All in all, some positive surprises out there. Keep it up! :)

@yakihiko: 

I have never listened to CAPSULE before, but I'm on a eletro music life period, so I tried the new album on the shower, I jumped a lot on this song, so thumbs up for it.

I strongly recommend their previous "dancey" albums in case you happened to enjoy their latest effort, e.g. for starters - WORLD OF FANTASY (WAVE RUNNER and this share many similarities) and

(much more experimental)

If the rest of CICADA's stuff sounds like this, combined with Silent Siren's album I am more than happy to overdose on kawaii kei this month. I need it.

I've seen Eastern Youth's name around but I never checked them out until this and I also need them in my life. Fffffff how did I not listen to them before now?

You had me at 'troll kei', tbh.

I can 2nd CICADA, they're really smooth...somtimes cutesy, but mostly smooth. The female vocals REALLY remind me of ACO. I was actually going to add a blurb from that album too!

Track 5 "フリーウェイ" is basically a shameless ripoff of the beat from Kendrick Lamar's "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" , but it's still super sweet!

and yeah Eastern Youth are basically legends when it comes to Japanese emo and indie rock...at the same stature as Number Girl and Bloodthirsty Butchers. Their first few albums were punk/oi stuff tho :P

I did not see eastern youth coming. I'm positively surprised.

^^

Thank you guys for reading & commenting! Feedback is always appreciated ;3

@ - I haven't listened to the new indigo la end album yet, but that track is the LAST thing I would have expected from them! If only they created stuff like that on a normal basis!

"Kawareru" sounds pretty great as well. Definitely someone to keep an eye on. I'm also glad to see pentagon on this list, they're quite fun.

@@beni - I agree with you on 黒百合と影. The heavy tracks on that album get pretty tiresome, but their slower numbers really shine. Great choice with lycaon. Also good to see daoko, CICADA getting some love! ;3

@@fitear1590 NEGOTO is super solid as usual! Looking forward to their album.

those are some nice lists, will go through them as soon as i'm at home with my stereo again.

Ringo's very recent release may have disappointed most by judgement of her Last.fm shoutbox...

also i don't really see what's up with that. I found her latest album pretty dope actually, it has 3 or so killer tracks, a bunch of pretty dope ones plus maybe one crappy one. that's fine in my books... I may be biased tho (peeksatavatarandsignature*)

those are some nice lists, will go through them as soon as i'm at home with my stereo again.

also i don't really see what's up with that. I found her latest album pretty dope actually, it has 3 or so killer tracks, a bunch of pretty dope ones plus maybe one crappy one. that's fine in my books... I may be biased tho (peeksatavatarandsignature*)

This is where "casual listening vs. listening with strong, pre-existing expectations"-kind of juxtaposition in Ringo's current fanbase is worth mentioning. With that being said, unfortunately most people here (incl. me) always had some far-out expectations when it comes to Shiina's, or the hell - anyone's recent releases. And these "expectations" I am speaking of stem in my case from phases where I used to spin *core albums* (take a guess) on a regular basis (read: even more often than most Ringo aficionados here altogether).

*shrug* just my random theory/blabber, gomen.

This is where "casual listening vs. listening with strong, pre-existing expectations"-kind of juxtaposition in Ringo's current fanbase is worth mentioning.

Context and expectation are certainly relevant, but there's always that one X-factor that can never be quantified - emotional connection. For me, this was severely lacking in the new single.

Also, I apologize for being too eager around here but I highly recommend folks to try out Morrie's latest 2014 album (in case you didn't) - a real shame (or not?) that it didn't leak at the moment it got sold in lives... :P

I can 2nd CICADA, they're really smooth...somtimes cutesy, but mostly smooth. The female vocals REALLY remind me of ACO. I was actually going to add a blurb from that album too!

Track 5 "フリーウェイ" is basically a shameless ripoff of the beat from Kendrick Lamar's "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" , but it's still super sweet!

and yeah Eastern Youth are basically legends when it comes to Japanese emo and indie rock...at the same stature as Number Girl and Bloodthirsty Butchers. Their first few albums were punk/oi stuff tho :P

^^

Thank you guys for reading & commenting! Feedback is always appreciated ;3

@ - I haven't listened to the new indigo la end album yet, but that track is the LAST thing I would have expected from them! If only they created stuff like that on a normal basis!

"Kawareru" sounds pretty great as well. Definitely someone to keep an eye on. I'm also glad to see pentagon on this list, they're quite fun.

Still sounds like CICADA is worth a listen then. I'll add them to my list. lol.

It was a show stopper for me, I'd love if indigo la End went in that direction more often too. 

Charm's solo work is miles ahead of what he was doing with Hemenway, if you ask me. I can only hope it gets half as popular. Glad to hear people are diggin' it!

I hope they continue to explore this sound to some degree in future releases.

Damn Lycaon, way to make it awkward. I'm glad the last thing I said about your activities was somewhat positive.

@Zeus 

As you know what I think of Wagakki Band (which I'll get back to you on your review about, thank you, sorry, ehehe ^^; ) I won't go on too much on this one but it's a VERY enjoyable single. I encourage others to give it/them a listen if they somehow haven't already. And that Lycaon track; magnificant. I totally agree with what you've said as you know on this one too!

@fitear1590

For You is a hell of an amazing song! I had previously downloaded most of their stuff but this track takes the cake on what I've heard by them already! That Wakeshima track was the one I was going to do at first aha. Just perfect all round. I gotta listen to that NEGOTO album today. You sold it to me with that blurb and track sample. And that UNiTE. song is really great. As expected, woot woot.

Totes agree on that OOR track. I've become even fonder of it over time thanks to you. The biggest thanks I want to give on this is to you for the theCharmPark one. I had no idea he was tied to Hemenway! I adore that band, dayum!! Awesome inclusion and find, (not exactly a find because it's all your doing!) I'm so happy to be listening to them. I realised you played these tracks in plug but I am obviously a lame plum at times. XD That Pentagon album is so much fun, brilliant choice on that one too. And finally, that Sayuu choice in which I've never seen before. Thank you once again for this one! I downloaded that album and am really looking forward to hearing it! Awesome writing and selections overall, a really great month for you it appears! ^o^

@CAT5

Anoice sounds really nice. I downloaded that album as soon as I saw it pop up because I knew you were looking forward to it so I was intrigued. Thanking you for reminding me about Jin-Machine and 疋田哲也+NIL in which I have also downloaded. sukekiyo and Sel'm were a great listen too, and a few I don't recognise like CARD sounds like a must listen! Also, thumbs up to what you did with the links in Jin-Machine. ;3

Have to agree with the Kanon Wakeshima comments, I was really impressed with this album generally speaking. The two more electronic tracks were a huge surprise to me and being a big fan of electronic music it was something that made me very happy. Sansukumi was probably my second favorite on the album overall, my first being Geijutsuka no Kawaii Souzoutachi. Additionally, the title track Tsukinami and the second single Killy Killy Joker are close to the top of the list. 

As for the Div song, it's flawless of course. I haven't had the extreme pleasure of hearing Secret in full yet, but that was one of the tracks I was looking most forward to and it didn't disappoint, but it almost doesn't even sound like them. I'm trying to think of the band this song reminds me of, but it isn't Div. Anyway, it's great and I look forward to hearing the whole album.

I didn't expect the Wakeshima album to be all round perfect to be quite honest. Since I wasn't enjoying her new approach as much as her debut style.

As for DIV, have you got to hear the album fully now? It's pretty awesome thoughout, to me. @CAT5 said Chisa sounded like UVERworld's vocalist at times, would it be them you were thinking of too? 

And I feel like I should check out new Kanon Wakeshima, because I didn't like her old stuff and the songs here sound like a practically entirely new artist. 

Also, new X4 fan right here. I know beni said kpop influence, but I was not prepared. That is spot on. And I am diggin' it.

If you didn't dig her first stuff, I really do encourage this sound instead then. I hope you can enjoy some of her works, I can't say anything bad about her really, aha. I think there's something anyone can like in her discography because of the various sounds she's done over time.

I think only two or three sound really kawaii in that CICADA album but the girl's voice is just so adorable all the time so I hope they've done it for you this month!

I am SO HAPPY to see a positive response to them! I played them in plug but I don't think many were impressed. ^^;; So yay~ I hope they release more music like this, it's so Kpop like, it's thrilling and such a nice change/approach. x'D

Well, I will post my picks too (:

• STORY by DIV
This ballad song is kind epic to me to hear, because Chisa voice is one of my best frontman when singing a ballad or slow music. The melody from the song is perfect fitting with his voice.

• marionette by Lycaon
This choice was not very difficult, not because half were past releases and intro, but because this song catch my attention when I first listened on my ipod. Also the album is a good release.

That's it (:

Thank you very much for putting up your own picks! Great little read, highly appreciated.

marionette, hella yes, of course! And that CAPSULE album, don't get me started. xD I liked a couple tracks and I think Dreamin' Boy was one of them but I do regret not including them in this to be honest, even if I disliked the album overall.

That DIV song too, hell to the yes~ Sucha  great album, I disliked none of the tracks but obviously a few stood out most. 

Daoko - <33333  + fun fact: according to the girl herself, she saved "the best bits of the recording session" for her major debut while the rest went to her last indie album a.k.a this release. So we better cross our fingers for stellar material <3

Kuroyuri to Kage - I can see why @Uglymouth pushed this band forth in the first place: they are certainly a band who are capable of attracting people who still grieve over long-lost heydays of 00s VK  back to the scene (along with Dezert, Diaura and alike). Might not be exactly my "GOAT" choice, but definitely deserves an honorable mention from me :)

Kanon Wakeshima - read above

Ringo Sheena - It's good to see at least some positiveness in Ringo's fanbase once in a while (seeing as Ringobox is already on the verge of being filled with "rip Ringo" spams). The single itself might not be her best, but I'd take this over NIPPON any day, lmao.

I can't believe she's releasing another album and so quickly after that other one already! Thank you for the fun fact, I do adore these very much! I am so excited to hear the rest of her upcoming works. <3

Glad you enjoyed Kage, I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did but yes, a band others better keep an eye on. 

I like how we like the opposite of Wakeshima's sound/style. But I do hope you liked this release or any of her upcoming works. She is such a star and angel.

I think I was the only one in her shoutbox to shout anything good about that single, LOL. Even if it's not her best, it's still a well done and listenable single so I don't understand fans being hateful about it aha.

@@beni - I agree with you on 黒百合と影. The heavy tracks on that album get pretty tiresome, but their slower numbers really shine. Great choice with lycaon. Also good to see daoko, CICADA getting some love! ;3

;3 I feel you indeed. The album packs way too much heaviness in it but that's not a bad thing. It's just much nicer to hear slower songs more often to me. Lycaon really did a perfect job on that one track! CICADA and daoko need more lovin'. u-u Even though is doing a great job on the latter lol.

So, how'd you like the selections? : 3 I hope you enjoyed a few!

Also, on Ringo too, her last album was perfect to me apart from that ONE electro track. xD That was so... so bad it's good, really aha. And this single just made my month, looking back. I listen to that the most out of everything and I can't see or hear why anyone would dislike it as much as users on Last.fm has expressed so much aha. Just stop comparing old with new and enjoy it, you know? xD

Also, I apologize for being too eager around here but I highly recommend folks to try out Morrie's latest 2014 album (in case you didn't) - a real shame (or not?) that it didn't leak at the moment it got sold in lives... :P

Too eager? That's great to see, go ahead! I have (you guessed it xD) downloaded it and am looking foward to trying it just because it's Morrie. I bet I'll like tracks so much and get depressed I'm too late to include them. (This has already happened ;-; )

#QUICK RESPONSES BECAUSE MY PC IS ABOUT TO PACK IT IN AND I CAN WAFFLE~

Totes agree on that OOR track. I've become even fonder of it over time thanks to you. The biggest thanks I want to give on this is to you for the theCharmPark one. I had no idea he was tied to Hemenway! I adore that band, dayum!! Awesome inclusion and find, (not exactly a find because it's all your doing!) I'm so happy to be listening to them. I realised you played these tracks in plug but I am obviously a lame plum at times. XD That Pentagon album is so much fun, brilliant choice on that one too. And finally, that Sayuu choice in which I've never seen before. Thank you once again for this one! I downloaded that album and am really looking forward to hearing it! Awesome writing and selections overall, a really great month for you it appears! ^o^

If you didn't dig her first stuff, I really do encourage this sound instead then. I hope you can enjoy some of her works, I can't say anything bad about her really, aha. I think there's something anyone can like in her discography because of the various sounds she's done over time.

I think only two or three sound really kawaii in that CICADA album but the girl's voice is just so adorable all the time so I hope they've done it for you this month!

I am SO HAPPY to see a positive response to them! I played them in plug but I don't think many were impressed. ^^;; So yay~ I hope they release more music like this, it's so Kpop like, it's thrilling and such a nice change/approach. x'D

That OOR song is definitely an ear-creeper! XD Oh and yes, Charm was the guitarist for Hemenway, iirc. But it definitely sounds like he's exploring some new directions now. So much is going on in the plug room all the time even I barely remember what was played and by who unless I saved it. lol. 

I haven't kept up with Wakeshima to see how many albums she's released since I last listened to her but I definitely have some catching up to do. And that's fine with CICADA, I'd honestly like to see what versatility they have. And I can probably see why X4 got a lukewarm response, the pop crowd is smaller here, and they seem to prefer the female groups a lot. But this group is right up my alley so more for us, I guess! lol. 

Sign in to follow this