Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Currently rewatching Friends on netflix. It's Been ages since last time.

Also really into HBO's Westworld . One of the best shows I've seen in years. I love when you don't know what the hell is going on or where it's going. 

So excited for the season finale on sunday!

On 29.11.2016 at 10:28 PM, Gaz said:

yeah, somehow i assumed it was HBO's but after i wrote that post i was reading wiki and saw that it's FX's. and now that you mentioned it, indeed, language has lack of good swearing. though, that doesn't bothers me at all.

It bothers me a lot actually. It's hard to buy that a bunch of rotten police or badass, violent bikers don't swear, curse or anything like that. To me it's like a slasher film without any blood. Can it work and be enjoyable? Of course it can, but the film would be a lot better with blood. Just like a lot of these series would be a lot better with a stronger/dirtier language.

America, man. Show some nudity and lots of violence? Sure, that's fine. Having someone say FUCK a couple of times? Heeeeeeeeeeell naaw!!!

Anyway, for recent comedies I'll highly recommend Derek (drama/comedy), Master of None (Comedy), Ash vs Evil Dead (horror/comedy), Danger 5 (bizarre, absurd adventure/action/comedy). None of these are straight up comedies though, but they're all great, and offers something quite different. Master of None is the closest to a straight up comedy, but it's a lot more than just that, and it's not a show to make you burst out in laughter.

Edited by Bear

17 hours ago, Mind of the sun said:

I highly recommend the sitcoms It's always sunny in philadelphia and Arrested Development.  

watched Arrested Development but i can't say this was a superb comedy show. i liked it, though. some jokes were quite unique and funny, and characters weren't annoying as it often happens with comedy series. but the last season was pretty bad tbh.

and i'm aware of ...Philadelphia but that show has so many seasons and it's still airing. maybe some other time, haha.

4 hours ago, Bear said:

It bothers me a lot actually. It's hard to buy that a bunch of rotten police or badass, violent bikers don't swear, curse or anything like that. To me it's like a slasher film without any blood. Can it work and be enjoyable? Of course it can, but the film would be a lot better with blood. Just like a lot of these series would be a lot better with a stronger/dirtier language.

America, man. Show some nudity and lots of violence? Sure, that's fine. Having someone say FUCK a couple of times? Heeeeeeeeeeell naaw!!!

Anyway, for recent comedies I'll highly recommend Derek (drama/comedy), Master of None (Comedy), Ash vs Evil Dead (horror/comedy), Danger 5 (bizarre, absurd adventure/action/comedy). None of these are straight up comedies though, but they're all great, and offers something quite different. Master of None is the closest to a straight up comedy, but it's a lot more than just that, and it's not a show to make you burst out in laughter.

lol yeah, SoA if so fucking brutal with all the gory details, that often i felt natural disgust to what i've seen. also don't get why did they haven't include appropriate language.

and damn, why the fuck did you mentioned that lack of swearing? when i was clueless about it i could enjoy it much more, but now it also bothers me! and there are still like 5 seasons of The Shield, thanks a lot! 

i might try that Master of None and Danger 5. both look pretty promising. i'm aware of Ash vs Evil Dead, watched 1st season, but that kind of humor isn't really my cup of tea...

Anyone here watching Zoo?

Started that tv show when the first season was almost finished airing and I enjoyed it a lot despite lacking of some coherence and a few characters being awful at acting. It started getting better and better and the 2nd season is really good, the characters are all awesome. I'm glad I started watching this.

Can't wait for the next episode of Vikings, the progression of events are kinda slow but I'm sure shit's going to get serious very soon hehe.

Also stoked for the next episode of Gotham coming up in January. Can't wait, it's going to be awesome. Amazing tv show! 

Will probably start watching the second season of Narcos in the next few days too. 

Edited by Visutox

Started watching Crazyhead today. Two episodes in and I am very impressed. Horror-comedy created by Howard Overman (Misfits, Merlin). It's fun, charming, bold and at times very rude, and I really like it. The series is just really fun and upbeat. Not scary or anything, but it's got some cool, tense moments here and there.

So, sometimes, if I've run out of toilet paper, I use sliced bread to clean myself.
If I've run out of that, I used slices of ham.
It's like a poor man's wet wipe.
I'm sharing that with you.

I started following Shooter on Netflix about two weeks ago, and so far I am liking it a lot. Since then I have been wanting to watch lots of war shows, but sadly the ones I want to check out are on HBO. And I have used the free month already. :<

Also today I started rewatching Prison Break. Man, there are lots of shit I don't even remember happening, so refreshing!

Finished The Wire and now I'm a freaking orphan. Hands down the best tv show I've ever watched. Great script, characters, dialogues and plotlines. Even the humor is light years ahead of any comedy on prime time... Could last 10 more seasons and I'm pretty sure they would keep the bar up there. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch some half assed tv show hoping it will eventually improve, after such an amazing experience like this one

Edited by chemicalpictures

Finished Crazyhead and thought it was very good. Not superb in any way, but it offers lots of fun and good comedy. Highly recommended, and it's only 6 episodes so you'll finish it pretty fast too. A big surprise.

mini-updates: 

- finished The Shield because it was great.

- dropped The Prisoner because it wasn't.

- watched 6 seasons of The West Wing and i'm mostly enjoying it. though, it's not that kind of a show which you can watch 24/7, after 8-9 episodes per day i become a bit tired of it.

- watched 3 seasons of Seinfeld and I FUCKING LOVE IT! the humor is hilarious! i can't believe this show was never broadcast in my country instead of 23123 re-runs of Friends. and Seinfeld is probably the closest to Friends' comedy level (or maybe it'll even be better, can't say for sure at this point).

- plan to watch Battlestar Galactica in a few days after i finish last season of The West Wing. i feel like this is my last chance to get something similar to LOST, suspense-wise. but we'll see.

Hey @Gaz, have you seen The Expanse? Space opera, often compared to series like Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Star Wars and so on. In other words, classic, space opera. But this has got a twist, it's half neo-noir. One of the best series I've ever seen. Absolute brilliant! Only beaten by Stranger Things post-The Wire.

Currently watching Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency which is loosly based on Douglas Adams' (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) novel by the same name. From what I've read, this isn't a very faithful adaption, but adapting Douglas Adams is kinda hard ain't it? Anyway, it's got a Douglas Adams feeling to it. The absurdism, the weirdness, the different-esque story and characters and so on is on place. The series stars Samuel Barnett and Elijah Wood with Hannah Marks, Fiona Dourif, Jade Eshet, Mpho Koaho, Aaron Douglas in some of the bigger supportive roles. In other words, the cast itself isn't very impressive. It's not exactly brilliant actors, but they've found someone who are more than able to pull this off, and more importantly they've found a cast with AMAZING chemestry. Absurd humor, silly action, some great bloody action and lots of fun. This series is A LOT better than what I expected. I expected something decent, but this is excellent! Truly great! Two episodes left, though. Excited!

Finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and thought it was really good. I can't believe this show has gotten so many mediocre reviews and stuff. It was great!

On 12/23/2016 at 10:18 PM, Bear said:

Hey @Gaz, have you seen The Expanse? Space opera, often compared to series like Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Star Wars and so on. In other words, classic, space opera. But this has got a twist, it's half neo-noir. One of the best series I've ever seen. Absolute brilliant! Only beaten by Stranger Things post-The Wire.

not yet, but it was in my to-watch list for quite a while. it's just that completed series have higher priority there, that's why i was always postponing that one. i plan on checking it when 2nd season will be out. anyway i watched Battlestar Galactica miniseries and half of first season and it's good so far. though, i'm always a bit too nitpicking about sci-fi stuff and the future stuff they are showing to us. i mean, all those wires and old keyboards and monitors and other stuff - man, that is just an old hardware stuff. 

speaking of space operas, have you ever seen japanese animated series from late 80's Legend of the Galactic Heroes (orig. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu)? that one is a masterpiece! combat strategy/tactics, politics, character relationships - everything is on very high level. sad to see that it's not very popular out here.

Thought I'd just throw out my best of 2016 list here now that's we're already in 2017. Another great year for both music, films series and almost everything else in life.

2016 was so good that it actually gave me one of my favourite series of all time. Top 5 for sure, and that's impressive as my top 5 have been the same for ages now. So managing to get into that is very impressive IMO.

Also, I'll not include new seasons of ongoing series. I'll take new series only.

1. Stranger Things

I will go as far as to call the first season by Stranger Things perfection, and personally I find it to be even better than the best season of The Wire. I think this is that good. A huge, fat homage to 80's pop culture and overall something veryJohn Carpenter-, Steven Spielberg- and Richard Donner-esque. PERFECTION!

2. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

It's as silly as it's funny and absurd, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency offers something different and I really liked it.

3. Luke Cage

The third ientry in Netflix' Marvel series, and while not quite as good as Daredevil, Luke Cage does not stand back to Jessica Jones which I really like. It's very different drawing heavily from blaxploitation, which the comics originally did as well, and I think that is a really bold move. Superb soundtrack, great characters and lots of things to enjoy.

4. Cooked

Food writer Michael Pollan explores how cooking transforms food and shapes our world. But this is not about cooking itself, it's more about the cultural anthropology of cooking and that's what makes this so interesting. Fire, water, air and earth!

5. The Get Down

A drama set to the late 70's Bronx. Hip hop and disco. What more do you need to know? This was cool as fuck!

6. Hip-Hop Evolution

A mini-series about hip hop. It's a bit too short, but it takes the most important elements of the different eras of hip hop and goes through them nicely. It's entertaining, it's informative , but it leaves you wanting more. Do we get more? I don't know, but I sure hope so.

7. Crazyhead

I'm not sure if this deserves to be higher up or not. This was funny as fuck, it was offensive and bold, it was different. I'm not sure, but I really enjoyed it. A unique combination of horror and comedy as far as TV-series goes.

8. Slasher

A disappointment, but that might have been because of high expectations. The main problem as I see it is that it's too long. It's only 8 episodes, but 4-6 would've been more than enough. It spends too much time on drama, which is a shame because the killer is AWESOME. I mean, he's absolutely brilliant! But at the end of the day this is closer to mediocre than good, which is a shame because the potential was there all along.

Very interested in seeing other peoples list, and even more interested if you write a little about it. A few words to give us a glimpse into why it was so good and what the film is.

^ kinda surprised you didn't include Westworld :o not a masterpiece but a very decent and high quality show, imo.

as for me, i was quite lazy to watch new series last year, mostly chased after finished/completed stuff. i still have yet to check such promising series as Stranger Things, This is Us and The Crown (Netflix + historical political drama = masterpiece, or so do i hope here haha). so for now it's only Westworld and The Night Of.

finished Battlestar Galactica earlier. i didn't entirely get what i've expected from this series but i enjoyed a couple of plot twists there. hated the social/political aspect, though. overall it's pretty good stuff and a must-watch for all sci-fi-fags. 

watched first season of Forbrydelsen (aka The Killing). holy shit i didn't expect danish series to be that good! i've seen the US adaptation few years ago and really liked it. but the original seems to be even better! i feel ashamed that it was carelessly neglected by me back in days when i checked the adaptation. but it's for the best, because now i still have 2 seasons of this delicious criminal thriller, dayum!

Havent had the time to watch Westworld yet, but ive got huge expectations as i am a huge fan of the film.

And Denmarks been great as far as both films and series goes for ages now. Cant believe how far ahead denmark and sweden is compared to norway. I wonder what the reason for this is.

Just finished watching Atlanta (season 1). Very nice stuff, somewhere between comedy and drama, sometimes with suprisingly weird and thought-provoking undertones. It's pretty much a slice-of-life thing, so there isn't really an overarching grand plot to speak of, but that's one of the beauties of it (and also the varying focuses and subtle or not-so-subtle style changes in each episode). Looking forward to season 2. Highly recommended.

tumblr_ogysio6OM41qg3yi8o1_500.jpg

I'm very impressed by A Series of Unfortunate Events so far.  It's very different from the film and my impåression is that it is a lot closer to the novels than the film too. The themes are dark, but wrapped into a dark, weird gothic comedy of some sort which should make this as enjoyable for teenagers as for adults.

I never liked Neil Patrick Harris, but he's fantastic as Count Olaf.  As creepy as he's amusing.

Edited by Bear

been watching The Sopranos lately (just finished 5th season). it's really good: the dialogues, actors' play, setting - everything reeks of high quality stuff. however, my only disappointment there is a plot. not saying it's bad, but when i watch a long-running series i expect it to have some climax, some events stirring. where the fuck are season finale cliffhangers that leave you hopelessly waiting in despair for the next season? so that's that. otherwise i enjoy watching it. also young and juicy Drea de Matteo such a sight for a sore eye!

I'm watching How to Get away With Murder S2, it's a great show but the stress it makes me suffer is unhealthy, I'm glad Netflix doesn't have the 3rd season yet,  a break will do me good. 

I'm also watching Shadowhunters s2, a pile of garbage series. At this point I don't even know who it's supposed to appeal to...probably 12 year olds who drool over Teen Wolf and Twilight copycats. I keep watching hoping that it will improve, or to see how they deviate from the book series... I guess it's good it exists because looking at paint dry helps my stress level come down after I binge on a few episodes of How to Get Away. 

Edited by Platy

6 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Just started watching Fresh Off the Boat, it's hilarious and sweet at the same time. Recommended.

omg I love this show!!! Jessica is my role model. LOL

Recently I've been hooked on Terrace House on Netflix. I seriously can't stop watching it and I have no idea why haha I guess I've just been super into reality TV recently @_@ 

I started the second season of Colony, and my expectations have been beaten positively! The plot improved, along with the setting and even the acting is really awesome (and it is really timely)! You can see it even if you didn't like the previous season, and I suggest you to do that!

i just watched the first season of Stranger Things and am now waiting in suffer for the next season......it was really good and i actually almost got teary-eyed on some parts. the 80s vibe are so strong i LOVE it...i can't wait to see more of it ugghhhh

Edited by plastic_rainbow

wasn't been able to watch that many series this month as i used to watch before, but somehow i managed to watch Community it was pretty funny and hilarious but in 4th season it turned into shit. but at least last 2 seasons were much better than 4th. this series reminded me of Gintama actually, because of so many references to other shows/movies/media. some of them were pretty awesome. also "Troy and Abed in the moooorning" lolol

now when i have a spare time i'm watching The Office and have to admit i'm completely enjoying it. really digging the concept of making it look like reality show! all the characters are truly hilarious in their own way. man, i just hope this won't turn to shit, would be such a waste!

also decided to pick up 24 from season 3, which i dropped several years ago. it's not a bad series, not sure why i have dropped it back then. well i read comments about each season following the same pattern, so maybe that's why. though, now i plan on making a few months breaks after every season.

Was curious about watching 11.22.63 since a friend of mine had suggested me to do so. Wasn't disappointed. Started out like a cool dream and ended up teaching an important lesson. Love this kind of TV shows, and also the references were fun to spot. 

Edited by Visutox