Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Yeah the effects are not so brilliant, but the series has other reasons that got me in, for example the hilarious situations (I'm at fourth episode, and that mental trip xD)

eah, there's plenty other reasons to watch Ash vs Evil Dead, like Bruce Campbell for example. But I'm a huge fan of all three original Evil Dead films, as well as the remake/reboot, and the special effects are a huge part of what makes all these films so good. They're simply special. Love me some good old-fashioned special effects.

also tried that Making a Murderer some time ago but couldn't even force myself to finish the 1st episode. utterly boring stuff lol. i guess documentary is not my cup of tea at all.

still watching Person of Interest. gosh, what a show! haven't seen anything so good in a while. most of its episodes are decent but every now and again we get some fucking mindblowing episodes! oh, and there were so many guest actors from the shows i adore(LOST, House of Cards, The Wire) which is also nice. Root and Shaw are just 2cool, love them both! and that Bear dog lol! a really great stuff.

btw, does anybody hyped about new upcoming season of Prison Break? i still don't know what to feel about it. the 4th season was beyond awful, i couldn't bear to watch what they did with the show. the trailer does look promising though but i guess we'll figure out for ourselves in 2017 whether it'll be good or not.

Finished Cooked a  minute ago and I must admit I was very impressed by it.  This isn't a show about cooking or anything, but about the cultural anthropology of cooking, and about how cooking transforms food and shaped our world.  It is based on Michael Pollan's book, and he plays a big part here as well and ends up being one of the main reasons why this was so great. He's got so much charisma and the way he talks about food, the process of cooking and what it means to us is just really fun and interesting.

It four episodes lasting an hour and totally worth watching. It ended with the best and most interesting episode too, which may be because I consider cheese to be one of the greatest things on this planet.

I also finished Orphan Black season 4, and while I am happy about the season I'm very disappointed by the season finale. But it was good enough that I'm looking forward to the next season.

Jusst finished The Cinema Snob season 1. God, this is truly great. This is a web series about Brad Jones, a film critic who watches obscure exploitation films in a most funny way, and I guess it's fair to compare him to The Angry Video Game Nerd. Their style is very similar. But this is great fun, and Brad Jones is awesome.  Now, Brad Jones is a huge exploitation fan but review these films as a pretentious film critic,, and it's too damn funny.

He's reviewing some good/great/entertaining films too such as Burial Ground: Nights of Terror, Alucarda, Video Violence, Blood Freak and more. I am especially a big fan of the masterpiece that is Alucarda and a complete trashfest that is Blood Freak, and being a fan of exploitation films and a lot of these films in general just makes it even funnier. Can't wait to continue on this and check out more of Brad Jones' filmography.

Hot damn, the new season of OITNB was amazing as hell. Every bit as dramatic, funny and shocking as I've expected and even more so. The characters, the directing and the dialogues, all top-notch as ever. Those devastating last episodes too, wow... The wait for Season 5 will be unbearable now, haha.

tumblr_o931arfkfw1tlbqmwo1_540.jpg

2 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Hot damn, the new season of OITNB was amazing as hell. Every bit as dramatic, funny and shocking as I've expected and even more so.

Good to hear! (I haven't read any long reviews about it yet) I only managed to watch one of the new episodes this weekend.... I need to carve out some time this week.

Master of None - Warm and witty drama-comedy with lots of soul and heart that's easy to relate to.

Co-creator and star Aziz Ansari plays Dev, a thirty year old Indian actor who lives in New York City. Master of None follows his life as he chases his dream of becoming a big star, hangs out with his friends and his private life in general. The series deals with themes such as racism, sexism, and modern social life, but it's all seen through a humourus eye, but never by trying to make themes such as racism or sexism any less serious than what it is.

I thought this was fantastic. Super witty, warm and very charming, and the chemestry between our two leads played by Aziz Ansari and Noël Wells are just brilliant.

Best part of the series, though? Dev's dad. Jesus, makes me burst out in laughter every time he enters the screen.

Great show, can't wait for season 2!

master-of-none-review.jpg

Edited by Bear

finished Person of Interest. sadly, last 2 seasons weren't that good as i hoped they'll be. at some point i started to lose interest but last few episodes were good and i'm mosly satisfied with this show.

Oz was a great shit! gave me dem The Wire vibes, and not just because half of The Wire's cast was in there. the whole show in general looked like its predecessor imo. great, enjoyable stuff with lots of interesting characters and some awesome twists now and then. definitely must watch stuff!

The Stand was short but enjoyable. now i see what creators of LOST smoked before doing my fav show lol. 

also decided to finish off a couple of series i abandoned long ago, Californication and Misfits on their 5th and 4th seasons respectively. well season 5 of Misfits was pretty crappy and now i see why i dropped this show. on the other hand Californication season 6 and 7 were really great and i'm glad i decided to finish this. Hank Moody is one cool bastard!

now i started watching Mad Men. cant's say much about it so far, but the first 2 episodes were pretty good so i'll continue with it. looks promising.

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Oz was a great shit! gave me dem The Wire vibes, and not just because half of The Wire's cast was in there. the whole show in general looked like its predecessor imo. great, enjoyable stuff with lots of interesting characters and some awesome twists now and then. definitely must watch stuff!

This series is great! Vernon Schillinger are one of the best characters ever, and Simon Adebisi isn't too far behind. How the fuck does his hat not fall off? Always puzzled the shit out of me. Great series for sure.

Jack the Ripper - 2x1,5 hour mini-series about Jack the Ripper from 1988, starring Michael Caine in his prime. To my knowledge the series isn't very accurate at all, but it's got a nice, gritty feeling to it, and it feels twisted and dark. 70 and 80's Michael Caine was fantastic, and his performance is the driving force in the series. He's convincing as the main detective, and the co-actors are for most part great too. It looks neat too.

Worth a try for sure.

jack-the-ripper-1988.jpg

Children of the Stones - Mid-70's children's fantasy TVseries consisting of 6x25min episodes. It's pretty dark and sinister for a children's/family TV-series, and it's got a heavy folk-horror vibe similar to The Wicker Man, as well as some Village of the Damned feeling.  I actuall think "The Wicker Man for kids" oisa fair description of this show. This is one of the coolest TV-series I've ever seen. I fucking loved it.

The theme song, though. Creepy son of a bitch!

hqdefault.jpg

On 6/27/2016 at 10:09 PM, Bear said:

This series is great! Vernon Schillinger are one of the best characters ever, and Simon Adebisi isn't too far behind. How the fuck does his hat not fall off? Always puzzled the shit out of me. Great series for sure.

yeah, those are really cool ones. also Ryan O'Reilly, that sly piece of shit!

i loved how people always were messing up with pronunciation of Schillinger's name and that made him so angry, lol.

Watched four episodes of Outcast and it made me curious of where will go the plot, since the exorcism things are not so simple to deal with in a show!

Glenister makes a great work as Reverend Anderson and Brent Spiner scaries me a lot...

Overall a good series!

Finished the first season of 'Billions' yesterday. Not my usual type of show but it got me hooked quite quickly with it's  intriguing drama and plot.

Damian Lewis and Paul Giamatti are both fantastic, especially the scenes they have together wich are to few but so intense.

I have been watching Kingdom which revolves around the MMA world but it's basically a family drama. I feel like this show is pretty underrated but I guess it's because of  the subject matter too.  The first season is great, first half of second season (10 episodes) is also great. The second half of 2nd season is airing now and it's the weakest yet and my least favorite, sadly. I'm not digging some of the character-development but there's still some hope for it to get better again...

Edited by indigo

Have you seen Stranger Things on Netflix? I enjoyed it a lot, the setting is retrò and pretty astonishing and the acting was superb (especially Winona Ryder!). If you enjoy 80's sci-fi and mystery tales with a touch of Twin Peaks vibe, you should check this one!

I have also watched the pilot of Penny Dreadful, quite decent, I hope that the series will get on me more...

Not watched Stranger Things yet, but I have high hopes for it. It looks damn good!

Started watching Penny Dreadful a year ago or so but had to give up awfully early. I never got why this show got so popular. I thought it was awkward and boring. Poorly paced, sloppily written, a seriousl ack of both horror and suspense and uneven atmosphere. It's like they didn't know what they wanted to make, where they wanted to go with the show and how to do it. The atmosphere just jumped all over the place. idgi

watched first season of Colony, which was pretty awful. a shame actually, lots of decent actors are in that show. i was expecting much more from Carlton Cuse :/

also watched Taken. this one does look like it had a solid budget and Steven Spielberg did a great job with it. can't say i really enjoyed it, but it was a decent show. if you like X-Files you will most definitely like this.

I (shamefully) never watched Oz... I was a little too young to have watched it when it actually aired and never bothered to try it out till now. I am working my way through (and rapidly becoming addicted to) it now.

Just reached the point where Christopher Meloni's character joins the cast... and really my only complaint about the show is the 1998-era standard definition!

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

watched first season of Colony, which was pretty awful. a shame actually, lots of decent actors are in that show. i was expecting much more from Carlton Cuse :/

It seems that on second season it will become darker and with more sci-fi elements (and will have 13 episodes instead of 10), and in my opinion the first one was pretty good as introductive one...

Who knows, it could become better :)