Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

watched entire 4th season of House of Cards and holy shit that was so fucking intense! that goddamn last episode, WOW! finally i can breath, whooh. i hope the wait for the 5th season won't kill me haha. in any case my body will be ready for anything

I also watch It's always sunny in Philadelphia 

I surprised the show is still so funny after 10 seasons. Crazy.

I literally cannot get bored of this show. I must have watched it beginning to end over 10+ times. I love it.

Started to re watch LOST a month ago. Love it even more than the first time around.

I am planning a rewatch of LOST too, but I don't have much time unfortunately :-(

By the way I am binging Downton Abbey (I am at season 4), if you never watched it you must do that, it is a masterpiece drama, probably the best UK show for me! (MAGGIE SMITH RULES EVEN TODAY!)

Watched and dropped Ascension almost quickly, so dull and silly...

I am planning to proceed with Falling Skies (season 3), and I have just started Fringe, great one so far!

Everything for filling the emptiness left by Colony, which will end its first season this Thursday :-( *me starts to wait until 2017*

I am planning a rewatch of LOST too, but I don't have much time unfortunately :-(

i wonder if i rewatch LOST for my 3rd time and it will be better than it was before (like it was with my 2nd time).

anyway, watching Suits now. this series is okay. itty-witty lawyers bullshit mixed with mediocre relationship shit. worth watching if you are into this kind of stuff.

Any love for documentary series? Watched Making a Murderer a while ago, and recently marathoned The Jinx. So good and exciting! Especially the latter one, holy shit. :D Somehow I'm enjoying these more lately instead of 'regular' series.

I enjoy me a good documentary. A few favourites of mine:

An Idiot Abroad (travel documentary comedy. Pure gold!)

A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss (mini-series about horror)

Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle (mini-series about superheroes)

Ross Kemp on Gangs (Ross Kemp travels the world and meet up with gang members, locals who's been affected by the gangs and authorities)

The Real Football Factories (series taking a look at football hooliganism and hooligans firms in britain)

The Real Football Factories International (the sequel taking a look at holliganism around the world)

I'd say An Idiot Abroad, Ross Kemp on Gangs and Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle are the best.

An Idiot Abroad is just pure comedy gold and among the best within the genre of comedy, be it film, series, stand-up or whatever. Absolutely brilliant! Karl Pilkington should be the one and only world ruler! No kiddin'.

Ross Kemp on Gangs is very intense and interesting, especially since I am very fascinated by different gangs around the world.

Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle is a must for anyone who enjoys superheroes but don't knnw everything about it. I thought it was an excellent and thorough exploration into the world of superheroes, from the begining of it all and to what it has become.

I am very interested in The Moaning of Life with Karl Pilkington too, which is another travel documentary but a bit different from An Idiot Abroad. Should be very interesting and very fun.

Started The Blacklist S3 (I am loving it more and more) and Sleepy Hollow S3 (I fear that it will be the last season and it would be bad...)

Recently downloaded the first season of Penny Dreadful and Fargo, i'll see what i think about them later

watched last two episodes of Black Sails 

shit, why did they have to kill captain Vane? one of the best characters of this show and now he's gone. not sure how to feel about season's ending. i haven't really liked John Silver from the beginning, so him being a new legend is kinda meh. i hope Teach character will get more screen time in the next season because he's pretty cool. in general, 3rd season was a bit worse than 2nd to me. this show needs more action.

Just finished the two last episodes of Black Sails eason 3 myself, but I can not disagree with you anymore. Some spilers ahead:

I think John Silver is the character that's grown the most of me. I thought he was poor and uninteresting to begin with, but now I'd say he's the best character in the series. His progression and dvelopment from he was first introduced and till now is nothing short of exceptional in my eyes. Fantastic!

I also how to praise the development of Anne, not only as a character but also on how she's acted. Thought she was poorly written to begin and and awfuly acted, but she's become great, despite a limited amount of screen time.

Same goes for Charles Vane who I thought was poor to begin with, both as a character and an actor. But he grew strong, but his death I really loved because there was so much reason behind it.

Billy Jones too is getting better with each episode, same with Jack and Blackbeard. Loved the scene with them both. Jack so clearly wants Blackbears respect, and he clearly sees him as a kind of father. Surrogate father maybe? Lovely stuff!

Max too is getting real interesting. We just don't know exactly where she stands.

By far the best season so far, and by far the best season ending till now. The scenes with Flint and John Silver talking philosophy and morality around the camp fire, sharing a bottle of rum and shit were the highlight for me. Fuck it, this was so good!

It's gonna be a long wait till season 4. Good thing there's coming more Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul and Daredevil (not seen these two yet), as well as upcoming series with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders and more in the meantime. Shieeeeeeeet!

Started on Daredevil season 2 today and four episodes in I'm shocked by how good this is. Story-wise it doesn't seem to be quite as good as the first season, but action-wise it's already been much better. Some really spectacular and very un-american action-scenes, just as in the first. But it feels much more brutal, much darker and a lot more playful.

That corridor/stairwell scene in episode three was just too good.

That shit is just too good. I think I watched that video something like 15 times after I finished the episode. That's something you expect to see in asian martial arts films, not american superhero series. Breathtaking!

Ten episodes in and I am digging this season of Daredevil a lot more than the first one. While not as strong plot-wise, I kinda like the plot more here. A bit more all over the place and because of the many characters it doesn't get to build them as well as in season 1, but they still manage to pick them apart and show us who they really are. And the introduction of several of the characters really helps it out for me. Some really badass motherfuckers here. Not quite as dark as the first, but the overall tone is grittier, more brutal and meaner, with the action sequences being pushed to the max. They're so god damned imroved, whih says alot considering how good the action in season 1 was. Foggy and Karen are more in the spotlight, and Foggy is more than just a comic relief this season which is a big relief. He was probably the weakest link in season 1, but here he's an actual character with a lot going on. Great sets and lovely cinematography as well.

So I'll just disagree with everyone else and say it right out: Season 2 > season 1!

My first thought when I saw Jon Bernthal was that Frank Castle/The Punisher is gonna be awful, because let's be honest here: he was so bad he wasn't even dreadful in The Walking Dead. He was beyond fucking godawful, but to my big surprise the guy can actually act when he gives a fuck about his character and the series and just gives it a try. A pleasent surprise for sure. The Punisher is one of my all-time favourite characters and I think they've made him really fucking cool in this series. So fucking badass!

As with the first season it's so refreshing seeing an american series with good action sequences. The choreography is good, the direction of the scenes are good and they're not cut to death like we're used to in american films and series. They actually film it from distance and let the characters fight without making a cut for every single punck/kick thrown. Kudos to Philip Silvera for this. I wonder if he's found a lot of inspiration in Southeast Asian martial arts films of the 2000's. I get that feeling when watching this.

watchin Penny Dreadful nowadays, the plot twist at the end of the first season actually made me go ''oooooo'' irl...

I was gonna re-watch LOST, but... one day, a few months ago, I was sick, felt like watching something I haven't seen before, so I started watching Buffy... and then my life went away :lol:

For a week or two, I didn't feel like starting season 7, because I just felt like things could have ended as they were at the end of season 6. Now, I'm about two episodes into season 7 and it's actually good. There was just a certain character dynamic development that, during seasons 4 and 5, I really liked, but in season 6 it all went straight to hell.

Spoiler

I've been putting off watching season 7 because of how things escalated between Buffy and Spike in season 6. When he tried to rape her, I lost every bit of respect I had for him, and from what I've read, it looks like Buffy is going to forgive him, which I'm NOT looking forward to seeing! I loved "Spuffy" in seasons 4 and 5, it was that amusing unlikely friendship (?), but when they started fucking, I couldn't put up with them anymore.

The main reason I started season 7 in the first place is because I'm curious to see how Willow continues with her life after her "apocalyptic flaying meltdown," which I fucking LOVED! I LOVED Dark Willow! She was a total badass. But I also love "normal" Willow. And seeing Xander make Willow's dark rage wear off just by saying he loves her was a nice moment.

And regarding the other seasons:

Season 1 - delightfully cheesy and dated, and starts things off rather well

Season 2 - Angel losing his soul was a great storyline, made for some intense moments; plus Xan and Cordy were amusing

Season 3 - OMG GET OFF MY SCREEN, FAITH, GO BE ANNOYING SOMEWHERE ELSE!! The finale with Mayor McSleaze was epic though

Season 4 - Riley and The Initiative were also very fucking annoying, but we meet Tara, and the finale with the dreams was great!

Season 5 - HELL YES! I know everyone hates Dawn and probably wish she jumped into the portal instead of Buffy, but everything else makes up for it! RILEY LEAVING! GLORY was like a homicidal Cordelia, and I loved her! Joss Whedon killing Joyce was very intense, Buffybot was funny! Season 5 might be my favourite

Season 6 - Once More With Feeling. I did find it cheesy that the writers approached Willow's "magic problem" like they were writing a heroin addiction storyline, but it's Willow y'know.

Bored now...

I'll probably finish up season 7 after I get through season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

And then I'll need to re-watch how to get away with murder season 2

And I'll be binging Archer in between on the side, because that show is everything

And then I need to watch The Office (US) because one of my friends told me I have to

And then ...... I'll think of something to watch ...... oh, maybe I'll watch Angel.

Is there something else? I feel like there's something else...

i swore to myself that I wouldn't continue watching Orphan Black after the dreadful third season, but I started on season 4 yesterday and the fist episode is the best, most interesting and most enjoyable episode since season 1 for sure. Interesting.

I think I'm about to drop Gotham, it was bad, then it was good, now it's getting boring again. I just don't feel the actor they have as Gordon carries the show well. It's like this season he went for ultimate cheese. For me it's super grating. Is anyone enjoying this season?

Blindspot is getting a little hard to watch now too since it became more about hookups than plot. *sigh*

I hope Sleepy Hollow comes back for a new season. I know with a line up change like that it's gonna be a hard sell but I still love the cast that's left and would like to see where they can take this. 

finished Buffy last week. it was that kind of series i wanted to watch since school but somehow there were other things to watch. so now, 7 years after i watched Angel, the time has finally came. Buffy was pretty much as i've expected: mediocre series with funny/interesting episodes every now and then.  lots of nostalgia too. kinda liked it.  would've liked it even more if i watched it when i was still at school when it was aired on tv. 

oh and btw, i totally hated Dawn and her silly squeals. Buffy herself was quite annoying at times. Anya was great though. Emma Caulfield is such a cutie <3

also watched old british version of House of Cards novels adaptation. can't say i enjoyed it, but it's good to know where american's House of Cards took inspiration from. main plot twists were pretty much the same. hopefully Netflix won't finish their show by killing Frank in the end, that would be so lame. Kevin Spacey's Frank is like thousand times better than Ian Richardson's. 

now i'm in the middle of 2nd season of Person of Interest. great series made by Christopher Nolan's brother Jonathan. season 1 finale was fucking awesome! and season 2 was nothing but great so far. i really hope this series will keep being great (or maybe even gets better) by 5th season, which should be the last one iirc.

dunno yet what to start after i finish PoI. maybe OZ or Six Feet Under. both are from HBO and both have pretty good ratings. 

Edited by Gaz

Finished Making a Murderer today. An incredibly interesting but very flawed documentary-series about the murder of Teresa Halbach by Steven Avery and his nephew Brendan Dassey. The documentary is a bit too black & white for me and is very much one-sided, which is quite a shame. But other than that it's a well-made and superbly edited documentary about a very engaging and interesting case. Worth a look for sure.

The most shocking thing here is the treatment of Brendan Dassey, a teenager who's clearly not very intelligent and who clearly doesn't fully understand the situation he is in. The treatment of this, to some degree I'd guess, autistic boy is quite disgusting to be honest. He was never given a fair chance, and it just shows how awful the justice system can actually be. The facts about Brendan's defense attorney and defense attorney's hired investigator might be the most shocking thing I've ever seen. This is like taken straight outta a poorly written Law & Order episode or something. How the fucking fuck can that shit be real? Christ almight, what the actual fuck?

Edited by Bear

Have you seen Ash vs Evil Dead?? It is literally amazing and funny, the first time that a splatter horror makes me laughing a lot xD, really hard to be serious even in the most horror scenes! (BRUCE CAMPBELL CONTINUES TO ROCK AS ASH!)

I have also started Blindspot, good plot and acting, especially from Jaimie Alexander, loving her since Thor and also the male guy does a good acting

33 minutes ago, Ada Suilen said:

Have you seen Ash vs Evil Dead?? It is literally amazing and funny, the first time that a splatter horror makes me laughing a lot xD, really hard to be serious even in the most horror scenes! (BRUCE CAMPBELL CONTINUES TO ROCK AS ASH!)

Yes, I have. I liked it a lot even though the special effects were a real let-down. There's just way too much CGI and shit, and they were totally unnecessary. They could've easily made all those special effects practical without spending any more money or time than they did.