Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Finished Blood Drive and thought it was awesome. It's not genius filmmaking, it's not a series that'll make you smarter or make you into a better person, but it's fun for what it is. A 13 episode long Grindhouse series with lots of cheese and sleaze, and even more blood and gore with beautiful practical special effects. Fun themes, memorable and fun characters and all you could possibly want from Grindhouse cinema.

It was cancelled, but kinda got a decent finish anyway. But considering the ending I'd fucking love another season with that theme. Looked neat!

Recommended! Channel Zero next!

Channel Zero: Candle Cove - Surprisingly well-crafted horror with an incredible amount of atmosphere, a lot of truly creepy scenes and moments and a very good mystery. I love how it manage to really draw me into the universe in the first episode and keep me there for all six, without every getting boring or uninteresting, like many horror series does. But unlike many of them (Slasher season 1, American Horror Story), this series is only 6x42 minutes long, so there's not much time for filler and regular TV-drama. Such a smart choice! Excellent!

Channel Zero: The No-End House - Very different from the first season, but as good IMO. Another smart choice is to make it really different from the first season while still making it feel like the same series. It's got less focus on atmosphere, but the creep factor is really high and the WTF-moments are many, and huge. Excellent!

Started on season 3, and after a couple of episodes I feel like it's a small step down. But will watch the rest tomorrow and judge for myself. So far there was one moment I just hated. Was so bad! But it's also super interesting, and the plot itself seems really good.

One of the best series on TV the last decade, and another good example that horror DOES have great potential for TV. Stranger Things and Ash vs. Evil Dead is two other great examples on how good horror can be on TV.

^ I agree, I was surprised how good (or at the least, decent) the Channel Zero seasons were! It took me a while to get into the first one, but got to like it very much by the time it ended. The second one was completely different, with a very interesting concept. ...and the third one was just overall prettttty weird, but I loved it, haha.

I found the first season the best one. It helps that I was really familiar with the original pasta, so there's some sentimental value there. I think 3rd season should have followed the original pasta regarding the stairs a bit more, their chosen script for the show was a bit off imo.

Just finished Sharp Objects, and it was entertaining. Amy Adams character is nuanced and complex, really interesting. Can't say the same about the support characters tho, many of them aren't even needed. The story also drags a bit, an episode or two, and there's the classic idiot ball trope now and then, but it's okay on the long run. Shoutout to the mother and sister, they both have some great moments. And don't miss the 2 mid credit scenes on the finale, GREAT STUFF.

Edited by chemicalpictures

Really liked the third season too. Weird as fuck, but it was really entertaining with fucking Rutger Hauer stealing the show as usual. What a man and what an actor! So underrated. The season as a whole was a small step down, but it was still really good. Looking forward to season 4.

Been watching an episode of Good Girls now and then lately and finished season 1 the other day. Fun crime-comedy with Christina Hendricks, Retta and a fantastic Mae Whitman in the lead as three women who decides to do something stupid because they're in a hard situation in their life. Manny Montana is also really good in the series. Thought it was both fun and engaging. Adds nothing new to the genre, but it's fun. Real fun!

I'm nearly at the end of Insatiable. I started watching just to see if it really was as awful and offensive as people were hyping it to be (after one trailer lol). I expected absolute crap because I hate the main actress but... 

Everyone offended by this hasn't watched past the first episode. It's a dark comedy and a trainwreck with a completely unbearable protagonist. The side characters make it worth watching. It doesn't spare anything or anyone from ridicule. Turns out it also has the best bisexual representation I have seen in a series (Brooklyn 99 did well too). It's made me laugh and I'm having fun watching it, I recommend Insatiable if you're looking for a quality bad series.

I am 4 episodes away from being caught up with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which I started in April. Man, this is a great series that I don't think has lost its momentum yet, although I know some people think otherwise. It's made me genuinely laugh so many times.

Next I plan to finish season 2 of Westworld and start working my way through Criminal Minds season 1 because I haven't watched a crime show in a while. BTW How to Get Away with Murder is back this 27th. I honestly haven't been that into it the past 2 seasons because I always like the case solving aspect more than characters' relationships in these type of shows and just like Bones, HTGAWM has become more of the latter. Season 1 and 2 were great though.

Oh yeah I am watching American Horror Story season 8 for laughs and because they brought Jessica Lange back.

btw for live-action bs I use trakt so feel free to follow me there

Castlevania, season 2 was twice as long and twice as good as season 1. Again they fully capture the essence of what makes the universe in Castlevania so fucking good. One thing that is upped tho is the soundtrack which this time is phenomenal all around. BLOODY TEARS!!!

Episode 7 was a monstrous episode. Can't wait for next season!

^ agree! i'm in the middle of 2nd season and it's really great so far. i have a few small issues with animation, which is lacking at times, but everything else is top notch. also love the humorous parts! 

finished 2nd season of American Vandal yesterday, and maaaaan it was so good! don't remember the last time i laughed so hard from comedy series. poop is funny [2]

Finished Black Mirror season 4. Very good as always, but weakest season yet?

Thought USS Callister, Hang the DJ and Metalhead were really good and stood out, not only in this season, but as some of the best episodes in the entire series. Hang the DJ had a really nice and uplifting tone ala San Junipero, and USS Callister had much of the same feeling to it. It has a certain bleakness and shit, but much of the comedic elements, bright and colorful visual style and ending had much of the same feeling. Metalhead were grim as fuck, but probably the most interesting of the entre series visually. Black and white, minimalistic, beautyful cinematography and just an overall dark and grim atmosphere. 

Crocodile and Black Museum were both good with both having some major pros, but as a whole they were flaws. The cinematography, bleakness and cast were amazing, but there was something that just didn't fully do it for me. Black Museum had a bit too much "been there, done that" feeling to it although the first short story of the episode was fantastic. 

Arkangel's among the worst of the series so far. Bottom 2 for sure. Just. Eh?

Haunting of Hill House was fantastic. The last episode was maybe the weakest, but I loved how this series felt like a theatre play. One of the episodes in particular, since it featured no cuts, was impossible to look away from. Although it does have the horror tag, the focus aren't the ghosts or odd things happening, it's more of how all the shit affected the family and how they deal with it. The secrets of the house and stories behind the ghosts were never fully revealed, I loved that they didn't try to solve the mystery behind the origins like your usual thriller/horror. Sometimes it's best to just not. Also it carries a blatant message about mental illness which hit me hard. 

Acting was top notch from both adults and children. I just want to re-watch it already. 

3 episodes into the new season of Daredevil and I already feel like the writing this season took a turn for the worse. I'm hoping it picks up in the next couple of episodes or I'll probably drop it.

Finished Narcos: Mexico the other day. It's more of the same tbh, but it's so well-directed, acted and written than it's hard not to enjoy it. Really, really good.

Picked up Inside No. 9 and it's been incredibly entertaining so far, highly recommended if you're into anthology series more than serialized stuff. Dark comedy stuff occasionally veering into straight-up horror territory.

Finished Ash vs Evil Dead season 3 and the cancelling of the series is an absolute disgrace. Best thing to ever happen TV imo. The series has gotten better and better with each season, and is just the funniest thing you'll ever see on TV. Bloody as fuck, loads of gore and Lovecraftian madness, as well as lots for jokes and humor that'll have you screaming out of laughter because it's that fun.

Give me a movie, cartoon or a graphic novel that continues EXACTLY where the last season ends. This, ladies and gentlemen, are TV perfection!

2e4w783.jpg

On 11/29/2018 at 10:09 PM, Bear said:

Finished Narcos: Mexico the other day. It's more of the same tbh, but it's so well-directed, acted and written than it's hard not to enjoy it. Really, really good.

also finished this during the weekend. it's still awesome, but i felt that this season was a bit weaker than original 3 seasons. don't you think so?

On 11/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, Tokage said:

Picked up Inside No. 9 and it's been incredibly entertaining so far, highly recommended if you're into anthology series more than serialized stuff. Dark comedy stuff occasionally veering into straight-up horror territory.

yeah, this is a really good stuff. i just can't praise it enough. Shearsmith and Pemberton are fucking geniuses! everyone who likes Twilight Zone or Black Mirror should check it out.

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

also finished this during the weekend. it's still awesome, but i felt that this season was a bit weaker than original 3 seasons. don't you think so?

yeah, this is a really good stuff. i just can't praise it enough. Shearsmith and Pemberton are fucking geniuses! everyone who likes Twilight Zone or Black Mirror should check it out.

No, I don't feel like it was any weaker tbh. Would rate it the same as season 3 I think.

Not seen Inside No. 9, but I love The Twilight Zone, Black Mirror, Tales From the Crypt and other high-quality anthology series so I am gonna take a look. I am doing a 24 days of christmas horror as I didn't have the time to go full in in October. Will start with The Devil of Christmas, and then start form the beginning later.

Currently watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and this is just beyond everything I'd ever expect. I'm not familiar with the comics, but I do of course know that the comics it is based on is a darker version than the original one. But so far this is exceptional. It's a coming of age story wrapped into a dark, grotesque and interesting universe with clear nods towards 50's, 60's and 70's gothic horror and camp. Beautifully directed with good and interesting cinematography, good character, great special effects and beautiful visuals. I' really enjoying this TV-series way, way, way more than I'd even thought I would.

I know some people have a huge problem with the distorted edge that's used some times, but I can't get enough of it and I personally think it is a genius move. Visually it sets it apart from everything else that's on screen, and it gives it that special bewitched atmosphere.

Also, despite being more of a young adult type of story, it kinds wears its influences on the sleeve. Think of Mario Bava's gothic films like Black Sunday, Black Sabbath and Kill, Baby, Kill, Dario Argento's Suspiria and Inferno, Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby, Clive Baker and the gothic Hammer Horror films. Just beautiful!

Edited by Bear

Finished The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the same day as I wrote that, and it was just fantastic. Truly superb throughout. Recommended as fuck!

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe - When I was little in the mid-90's we used to watch this every Christmas, but it's been a few years since I last watched it. But upon re-watching it now I realized that it's still a fun, charming and lovely as when I was a kid. The story is fantastic, the actors are all amazing, the sets, costumes, make up and special effects are nothing short of brilliant. Like the drawn creatures that's featured, they're just amazing. They don't look real or anything, but that's not needed. This is fantasy near its best. Almost Tolkien-esque, which should come as no surprise considering C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were good friends and attended the same literary discussion groups together.

Just brilliant! A must-see for any fan of fantasy.

In the middle of Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader  right now. Not quite as good as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but still excellent. Been even longer since I saw this and The Silver Chair. So this feels exciting.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader - I haven't read the books so I don't know how long the stories are and such, but this feels really rushed. Prince Caspian lasts for two episodes but should've been at least three, maybe four episodes long and the same goes for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Four episodes are way too little and it just back and forth too fast for its own good. Is it good? Yeah, it is. But it's a HUGE step down from The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe

FUCKIN' BLACK MIRROR. FUCKIN' BANDERSNATCH, MAAAAN.

It's the greatest thing ever, and it's only one episode - tho reportedly it has hours of footage, so there's lots to explore. It's super cool how when you re-do some stuff there are small changes, and then when you get to the next 'checkpoint' there are sometimes different paths to choose from, depending on whether you've got there for the first time or as a 'retry' round. Absolutely crazy. I've only messed about with it for like 2 hours, but there are still things I haven't tried. Strong replay value, that's for sure. If you have Netflix, this is the thing to experience right now.

(For those who have no idea what I just incoherently babbled: there's a new standalone Black Mirror episode up on Netflix called Bandersnatch, and it plays as an interactive movie where you have to make decisions at certain points for the protagonist, influencing the general storyline and further choice-offshoots, resulting in loads of different 'realities' and endings for our hero.)