Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Finished two new seasons:

Fargo, season 3. Might be my favourite of the three so far. Just totally fucking fantastic from begining to end, and as with the previous two seasons, what a great cast and what a brilliant character gallery. I also love the way they connected this to earlier seasons.

Wes fucking Wrench, man. So cool! And a nice way to connect it to season 1.

Better Call Saul, season 3. Again, another great season. Them characters are everything in this series, and this time around the roster was even better. That ending!

i personally have a bit mixed feelings about Fargo. second half was undoubtedly amazing and if whole season was like that, it would be my favorite for sure. but instead first half wasn't that entangling, even boring at times. 3rd episodes itself seemed like a filler to me. so i guess this season is about on the same level as 2nd one to me, with 1st one being my favorite. can't be 100% sure about this, because it's been a while since i watched season 1 and i would need to revisit all seasons, maybe next year before 4th season starts. i really hope there'll be a 4th season, otherwise it'd be such a fucking loss to the series world. really don't wanna lose my favorite series.

I finally got Netflix, wohoo!

So I had one week of vacation and watched the first 2 seasons of The Killing. And if you're not familiar with the show it's about two detectives who are trying to solve the brutal murder of a 17 year old girl. And there's a shitload of red herrings. I think I had my doubts about every person on the show being the actual murderer at different points.

I thought Season 1 was pretty good, season 2 was weaker. I enjoyed the investigation / detective stuff the most and season 1 had more of that. And if there's two detectives, as there was in this case, the chemistry between them is very important. I felt that it was really great on these 2 seasons.

And I've got a question for y'all. Are there any other great shows about solving a murder? I don't want any of those episodic shows, though. I've seen True Detective obviously, Fargo's first season and The Bridge (the Danish/Swedish version) to name a few.

Edited by indigo

29 minutes ago, indigo said:

And I've got a question for y'all. Are there any other great shows about solving a murder? I don't want any of those episodic shows, though. I've seen True Detective obviously, Fargo's first season and The Bridge (the Danish/Swedish version) to name a few.

You could try Hotel Beau Séjour, which is available on Netflix. Not a masterpiece, but it's a nice noir-series. I liked it.

46 minutes ago, indigo said:

And I've got a question for y'all. Are there any other great shows about solving a murder?

This might not be what you exactly had in mind, but I really recommend Making a Murderer. Despite being a documentary series, it's quite exciting.

Another one in a similar style (tho it might not be on Netflix?) is The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst.

And The Keepers, it's about a lot more than just a murder though. But if Making a Murderer is your thing, this should be too.

23 hours ago, indigo said:

try original The Killing, aka Forbrydelsen. it's just all the way fantastic and overall it's much better than american version imo. also there's a british copycat (kinda) called Broadchurch. another british series, The Fall, gave some The Killing vibes, plus there's Gillian Anderson. and also there's this Bosch series, that i started yesterday. there's also two cops who are trying to solve a murder of a little kid. so far looks pretty good. 

besides of Bosch i finished and started a few things:

- Louie (a very good sitcom about nothing. hilariously funny at times)

- Band of Brothers (somehow i always thought that i've seen this one, but it turned out that i only saw The Pacific. well i'm glad that i decided to doubt my memory and watch it. great stuff, even though i don't really like war related movies/series. this one is definitely must see)

- Blood Drive (sadly not as good as i hoped. they lost me after that weak attempt of introducing the plot into grindhouse series. but i'll still keep on watching it at work just to annoy my co-workers)

- SKAM (started this norwegian series because there was too much hype about it. so far it's just an average teenage drama, but i'm enjoying it. also looking forward to 3rd season, which people are praising so much)

- Scrubs (well, yeahhhh. i'm not marathoning it, only watching like 3-5 episodes per day, so i guess i'll have my daily sitcom dose for two months)

- The Twilight Zone (also taking my time with this one. i'm not so fond with mid XX acting, but somehow here it doesn't bother me at all)

oh and this week's Twin Peaks episode was just... wow. so obscure and disturbing and creepy! damn, i had to pause it a couple of time, that's how much disturbing it was. totally loved it tho

Skam has some of the worst acting I've ever seen. The acting is more or less on par with the worst acting I've seen in shitty soap operas. The dialogue is also so unatural and fake that it gives me cancer, AIDS and everything bad in form of diseases. I wonder what type of person who actually manages to write this shit.

their acting doesn't bothers me much tbh. it's just slightly worse than in 13 Reasons Why. and i guess you shouldn't expect much from teen drama anyway.

Edited by Gaz

I finished watching the first season of Mr. Robot a while ago and just started watching the second season. I really loved the first season so I had kinda high hopes for the second one, but... meh. I watched like five episodes of it and then just gave up, the whole show just became so boring and uninteresting and weird. Which is kinda sad, I liked the first season so much. :(

glow-netflix-first-look-1.jpg

Watched and finished GLOW early this week. Short season (10x30min), so I finished it in a day. But also because it was really good. "The series revolves around a fictionalization of the characters and gimmicks of the 1980s syndicated women's professional wrestling circuit, the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (or GLOW)".

It's smart, it's fun and it's super witty. And they really caught a 80's vibe with this series. It looks and feels like something from the 80's. And Marc Maron is FANFUCKINTASTIC!!!

Started Freaks and Geeks on netflix, always heard good things about it but never stopped to check it out. Boy, have I been missing. What a freaking good show! hits me right on the 80's high school afternoon movies feels. GREAT cast, lots of funny moments and development. Seriously, how the fuck a show like this would get cancelled with only one season?

Season 3 of Narcos was released last Friday. I watched the first episode today and holy shit, it's sick as hell... looks like it's gonna be a damn good season.

Funny thing about Narcos atm is that a lot of people where  very sceptical due to the events and a few specific  death's in season 2, but most people seem to think that this is a huge step up from season 2 which again was a huge step up from season 1. Seems to be going the right way for sure.

32 minutes ago, Bear said:

Funny thing about Narcos atm is that a lot of people where  very sceptical due to the events and a few specific  death's in season 2, but most people seem to think that this is a huge step up from season 2 which again was a huge step up from season 1. Seems to be going the right way for sure.

my thought exactly, ahaha. totally loved 3 season. 

also Twin Peaks season 3 finale was so fucking brilliant! i really hope this won't be the end of the show.

9 hours ago, Bear said:

I had no doubt about this to be honest, especially knowing how the story goes further and deeper than revolving around only one person. I'm three episodes in and it's brilliant so far, and as you say, a huge step up compared to previous season. 

I was eager to see the Cali Cartel being portrayed and its characters being developed by the writers and actors and so far I'm really getting what I wanted. Top stuff for sure.

Finished Castlevania, season 1, and what a fucking series. It stays so true to the video games and everything about just feels like classic Castlevania. Not superbly written, but it's good enough with great atmosphere, a fantastic amount of violence and a superb cast. This is probably the first time a western animation film/series has given me a real 80-90's anime vibe. Makes me think of Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D/Vampire HUnter D: BLoodlust and so on. Loved it!

Also finished The Expanse, season 2. It was really nice, just like the first season. But it was way different. Was a much bigger focus on drama and politics, and they kinda seemed to have gotten plenty inspirations from Game of Thrones. Superb series!

2 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

stranger things season 2 was freaking good i watched the whole damn thing in one sitting

I'm only finished with ep3 but damnnnn I feel this is when shit's gonna get real, haha. Lovin' it so far btw.

Also began watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, pretty nice so far (never watched any Star Trek stuff, only some random eps of Voyager and maybe like two movies from the '90s-'00s).

Edited by Jigsaw9

last two series i've watched have been Danger 5 and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Both were absolutely fucking hilarious and i absolutely 100% rec them to everyone

4 hours ago, Tokage said:

last two series i've watched have been Danger 5 and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Both were absolutely fucking hilarious and i absolutely 100% rec them to everyone

I'm not sure I ever finished Darkplace, but omg DANGER 5 IS THE BEST THING EVERRRRR

Besides Eleven's boring-ass centric episode, Stranger Things 2 was quite a nice ride! I don't know if it was better than the first one, tho. Curious on what they'll do for the third season, there were much less cliffhangers this time. By the way, Steve is the king!

Like @chemicalpictures, I'm not sure if Stranger Things 2 is better than the first season, but that's okay -- overall, it was pretty damn good and certainly a worthwhile idea for the creators to continue the series.

I have to say, the actor for Will really stepped up this season -- he had so many great acting moments!

Being better than the first season is no easy task. Stranger Things season 1 is up there with the very best TV-series/seasons ever made.

Watched the first episode yesterday and can't really decide if I want to binge or watch it over 4-5 days. First episode was so good I wanted to cry.