Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

Started watching Westworld and it's such a fucking mental tv series, I love every aspect of it. Four episodes watched so far and I'm loving the hell out of it. Anthony Hopkins is such a great actor, what a legend. 

Spoiler

By the way that fourth episode was really amazing, the last scene left me speechless. It's crazy how the "robots" are slowly digging and starting to remember. 

finished 3rd season of How to Get Away with Murder and 6th season of Suits. i really wanted Suits to finish things up in this season, but nope, there'll be at least one more. don't see how can they make me interested in this show in 7th season. i hope there'll be no more of that robo-Donna bullshit, because that is a fucking drag. 

for HTGAWM on the other hand, i'm looking forward to 4th season. 3rd one was really intriguing and now i can say for sure that this show is better than its predecessor, Damages. glad they dropped out that shitty formula to shove sex scene down viewers throats whenever they had chance. i expect 4th season to be the last, if they plan to wrap things up nicely. but if they will manage to make some new interesting plot twist for a 5th one, then color me interested!

I'm almost finished with Love season 2. Where the first season was fantastic, season two just turns everything up by a notch or two. It's fun, it's charming, it's dramatic and it's warm. The warmth of the entire series just rules . Top this with some fantastic charachters, both leads, supporting and cameos, and you've got yourself a real treat. The flawed characters and their lives feels super authentic and a lot of the episodes could so easily have been a day or two in my life, or your life. I do think that this series and its characters are that authentic.

Also, I usually don't give a rats dick about critics, but their panning of Iron Fist is worrying. Because they all seem to have the same issues with the series, and one thing that really goes again and again is the action scene. Bland and short fights is not exactly what you want when you watch a TV-series about a man with some mystic powers and some incredible martial arts skills. And this could become a real problem as I am a martial arts film/series nerd, and even if the rest is good this could be enough to turn this into something uninteresting to me. Uh, not looking forward to this anymore. Afraid of being disappointed, especially since they have four amazing seasons behind them with Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, and I was really looking forward to this and The Defenders. Still have hopes for The Defenders, though, no matter how bad this might be. But still. Fuuuuuuck!!!

I marathoned 'The Santa Clarita Diet' over the weekend. 

It's a dark comedy that loves clichés and absurdity. The two main characters have enough charisma between them that it kept me interested.

But I think mainly the contrast between the perfect American family and the absolutely disgusting things that happen in every episode is what makes this stand out. 

There's a lot of gore and scenes where people are eaten, they don't cut anything away here. It's all shown and it's super disgusting. I'm still trying to get some stuff out of my mind. ugh. 

I'm not one for American series where we follow rich white families around but this one was somehow endearing(?) I dunno, I'm still processing it. 

Started watching Black Mirror yesterday and right now I just can't get enough of it. Just three episodes left. I've always enjoyed the anthology format, and especially series which is just a bunch of short films, and not entire seasons. And this series is doing it really well, much like a modern-day The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. It'd diverse, with episodes covering different genres (drama, horror, thriller, black comedy), with different type of atmosphere and whatnot, but at the same time it's all conected through everything being sci-fi at the botton and thematically based around technology. Great satire all around, and overall very bleak and dark.

On it's worst (The Waldo Moment) it's really fun, at its best (Fifteen Million Merits, Be Right Back) it's absolutely mindblowing. And the rest of the episodes are much closer to Fifteen Million Merits and Be Right Back, than The Waldo Moment as far as quality goes. Says it all really.

Gotta point out that White Bear was fantastic. And please tell me I am not the only one who gets a folk-horror feeling of this one? At times it made me think of The Wicker Man, Kill List and so on. Did not expect that.

Finished Black Mirror, season 3 today. The third exceptional season of a TV-show that's different and completely unique as far as modern TV-series goes.

Both San Junipero and Hated in the Nation are among the best episodes in the series so far, if not the best.

San Junipero showed a total different side by ditching the grey environment and bleak atmosphere in favour of something colourful, cheerful and positive. A very uplifting episode in many ways, and a real pleasure to the eye. This was visually stunning.

Hated in the Nation are so far one of the most thematically relevant stories of the series so far. A top notch thriller clocking in at 90 minutes, making it the longest episode of the series so far. The storytelling here is much more traditional and familiar, but it's really nicely done throughout.

What a series. Holy shit! Brilliant! I have no problems understanding the hype or cult status. Deserved!

Glad to see you enjoyed it. Love love love Black Mirror myself too, all throughout.

In other exciting news: Rick & Morty is backkk!!

Edited by Jigsaw9

Finished the new Netflix show "13 reasons why" today, after a (nowadays) very rare bingewatching for me.

Expected a mellow teen drama show, what i got was a heart wrenching and very unsettling story about many taboo subjects, which forced me more than once to pause and do something else, before i could continue. I certainly didnt expect such a dark storyline. Never did i feel so much hate when watching a tv show.

Now its time to wait for the 21st. 

new Fargo and new Bosch.

Just finished Narcos, season 2.  I really liked the first season, but I was very sceptical about this season and delayed watching it because I read somewhere that the first season was something like 75/25 true/fiction and that this was 25/75 true/fiction, and I didn't think they could create something as good as the first season. But I was wrong, because season 2 is a step up from the first season. Fiction or not, this season was fantastic from start to end. Season 2 is a lot more action-oriented, but at the same time it pays more focus to the emtotional side of the characters, and that's what really makes this season. I'm very surprised, but this was excellent.

Can't wait for season 3. And good thing is that they can so easily move this to other coutnries, like Mexico, as they seem to have stepped into fiction a long time ago anyway. Holy shit, excited for more!

^ good timing, I've been also delaying watching the second season since it came out and yours is the only opinion I've read so far. I might start watching it very soon.

Started watching Utopia, which was recommended to me by a friend of mine like two years ago or something. And fuck, I hate myself for delaying it so much. It's bloody awesome, watched 2 episodes so far and I'm really enjoying it. The photography and colors are stunning. The actors are also great, especially Fiona O'Shaughnessy as Jessica Hyde and Neil Maskell as Arby (so fucking creepy he is).

Edited by Visutox

been mostly marathoning The Good Wife lately. a very decent legal drama mixed with some politic aspects. 5th and 6th season were so damn good plot-wise and i'm sure season 7 won't disappoint me either. if you like stuff like Suits and Damages then this is you will most likely enjoy this too. and also there's Julianna Margulies.

watched last season of Black Sails. it really amazes me how this show evolved from utterly awful acting, lame-ass excuse of a plot with so many holes in it and uniteresting, annoying characters to what it is now. if i were to compare season 1 and 4, i'd say that these are completely different shows with a couple of similar characters. nonetheless i truly enjoyed these 3 years (yes, 3, because 1 season was just a joke to me) and i'm glad i forced myself to watch season 2, otherwise i would've missed this fucking masterpiece. my only regret is that it's ended but at least it happened on its peak, so i can't really regret about it. great ending for a great show. now it's time to read Treasure Island lol

finished Broad City few days ago. not really what i call a good comedy but there were some fun moments that prevented me from dropping it. 

now i'm catching up with new season of The Expanse. 3 episodes in and have to say that it's still delivers. though, i can't call myself a huge fan of this show (and sci-fi in general) but 4th episode of season 1 was fucking amazing, disregarding mediocre acting. actually acting is always an issue for me when it comes to sci-fi stuff, dunno why. even some guys that i consider decent, tend to disappoint me when it comes in sci-fi series. nonetheless, The Expanse has a lot of potential and i really hope they won't waste it with useless filler episodes.

There's so much to look forward to this year, bot new seasons of older series and completely new stuff. Black Sails, Better Call Saul, Fargo, The Defenders, Westworld, Taboo, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, The Expanse, Twin Peaks, The Deuce, Guerrilla, The Punisher, Inhumans and more. It's gonna be a busy year.

I'm almost done with The Get Down part 2, still very fun. Half hip hop, half disco, it sure does contain lots of good music. I'm not too keen on the relationships in this series as they seem very artificial, but the stories themself are good and the musical numbers, especially the ones by The Get Down Brothers, are exceptional. I also like the cartoonish, over the top violence, even though it's been toned down quite a bit for this part 2. But it's all fun.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

There's so much to look forward to this year, bot new seasons of older series and completely new stuff. Black Sails, Better Call Saul, Fargo, The Defenders, Westworld, Taboo, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, The Expanse, Twin Peaks, The Deuce, Guerrilla, The Punisher, Inhumans and more. It's gonna be a busy year.

for me it would be: Better Call Saul, Fargo, Westworld, Taboo, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, The Expanse, Twin Peaks, Guerrilla, House of Cards, Mr. Robot, Narcos, 13 Reasons Why, The Young Pope, The Crown aaaaand a shitload of older stuff from my watch list. busy year indeed, but that's actually a good thing.

Finished watching season 2 of Utopia and now I'm wondering how the fuck did that show get cancelled? It's a fucking masterpiece and it makes me angry that tons of shitty tv shows get renewed for more and more seasons but shows such as Utopia get cancelled like this. Fuck, dude. Easily one of the best series I've ever watched. 

I also regret watching it because now I think I'm going to die of frustration one of these days, knowing what the episode finale implied. Season 3 would've been even crazier. 

watched Luther, which was pretty good (mostly because of Idris Elba). i was hoping it'd be more suspense detective, but unfortunately it wasn't. still, first season was really cool, the latter were also alright to watch. and there's only 16 episodes in total, basically few day's watch. 

also watching Parks and Recreation. the same creators as in The Office, yet not as good. but it gets better. i'm on season 3 now, and some stuff there is quite hilarious! definitely worth checking out.

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

also watching Parks and Recreation. the same creators as in The Office, yet not as good. but it gets better. i'm on season 3 now, and some stuff there is quite hilarious! definitely worth checking out.

Gotta say, Parks & Rec is one of those shows that actually gets better as the seasons progress. :D Great stuff.

Episodes 1 and 2 (s3) of Black Mirror really fucked me up, the 2nd one especially. Holy shit.

I hope I'll be able to watch the whole thing before heading to school. 

Edited by Visutox

Finished watching 13 Reasons Why.

I have mixed feelings on this one. Yeah, I read the book back in 2009 or something and got excited finding out they were adapting it, it can easily work as a series. However there were several issues with it.

To start with, the main character. He's especially unlikable & plain. Like, I get it that he's just your average awkward kid, but he brought the show down until the last 2 episodes where the actor finally learned how to actually do something with the role. 

Secondly, the pacing was painfully slow. I think they needed to keep filling the show with unnecessary stuff to make into a standard length Netflix series, which ruined it imo. There was no need to fill the episodes with some lawsuit bullshit, no need to drag them out with teenagers bickering, not when the dialogue is so cringe worthy. So, I was just bored through scenes and scenes of Clay's face staring into nothing and people saying some cheesy line then walking off into nowhere. It'd have been way better if the story was more  focused...like the book. 

But the third point ties in with the second one, because they wanted to pump as much content into the story to fill it out they also wanted to use that content to make points which are trendy\relevant nowadays (rape, bullying obviously, objectifying women, male gaze, etc.) but some points are just pulled out of their ass in the last episode, leaving the good ones to the side.

Spoiler

That photography guy having a machine gun hidden in his room and the story heavily hinting at him being a potential school shooter. Okay.... And Alex's death being announced at the very end and leaving it at that. grrr 

That being said, I still enjoyed it. It's a story that's even more powerful when you can watch it and I'm surprised they did the abuse scenes very well without shying away at the horror of it, I did struggle to watch 3 scenes in particular which led to the story having an impact on me overall. 

7/10

The Magicians just finished season 2 on Wednesday night and I'm distraught. They always leave the season on a huge cliffhanger and I have to wait till the end of January of 2018 to find out what happens. I love the show tho. Both seasons are great.

finished The Knick, which was very beautiful visual-wise. and Clive Owen masterfully did his job there, bravo! cinemax did a great job with this series, imo. also if you decide to try it, i'd recommend not to eat while watching it, some scenes were really disturbing/disgusting(but it makes this show even better).

also watching Shameless and Banshee. not really hooked up on neither of these tbh. Shameless is kinda like these shitty teenage comedies with dogawful music and fucking all over. but slightly better, because there's at least some drama involved. still, there's no single character that i like in that show. and actors are pretty bad too. Banshee is also not as good as i hoped. each episode so far followed this schema: main character fights with bad guys -> main character fucks random gurl -> shit appears to be progressing, but in fact it isn't.

basically, i'm watching these 2 just because my series to-watch list is already pretty small and if i drop them, i'll finish everything by the end of the year.

edit: okay, these 2 actually grew on me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yh6Nq35F0 <-this scene alone was worth watching entire Banshee, but there was more interesting stuff every now and then. and Shameless got better too. though, i still dislike every fucking character there.

Edited by Gaz

marathoned 13 Reasons Why yesterday. don't really get people saying about it being heavy. just an average teenage drama, that makes you roll your eyes while watching. but i kinda liked the concept of those tapes and discovering the truth bit by bit. though, the pacing was painfully slow. also i find the main character(as well as few other ones) highly annoying. nonetheless, it was good watch-and-forget series and i hope there won't be a 2nd season.

now watching Happy Valley. just finished season 1 and it was pretty good. i guess i'm a sucker for detective series with fucked-up main female character.

I thought 13 Reasons Why was really good. Was super entertained throughout the whole series, and I didn't find it slow at all. I thought the pacing was brilliant. I do think it could've done with a few episodes more tho. But that's not a big deal.

I think 13 Reasons Why is a good show, I didn't find it slow or anything like that. My only real problem is Hanna, at the end the reasons why she killed herself seemed very shallow (and it seemed like she did it to get back at people), typical stuff teenagers go through, the only thing you could argue is Bryce's tape but then again, the way it happened just kills it for me. Besides, half of the people in the tape didn't even do anything to her.