Bear

The big TV-series discussion thread

I know there's more people on the board who enjoys watching TV-series, so i thought we needed a general thread about TV-series instead of making a new thread whenever we want to talk about a series. What are you currently watching, what have you just finished, what are you about to start on, recommend, ask fo recommandations and so on.

However, a thread need a few rules to make it interesting:

1. Do NOT spoil! Use the spoiler tag whenever discussing a series/an episode, like this:

The Walking Dead S2E09

bla

Like this you don't risk getting spoiled about whatever you're watching.

2. Say a little more than "I'm about to watch Danger 5" or "Just finished The Walking Dead season 46546".

You got it? Good.

I just finished:

Danger 5 and I am very impressed with it. It's silly as fuck, over the top and straight up ridiculous, but aside from some annoying element (talking animals!) I really enjoyd the season. The series is basically about five spies in a fictional, bizarre 1960's inspired version of World War II whos mission is to kill Hitler. Funny and with a superb soundtrack.

Currently watching:

Twin Peaks, season 2

Season one was perfect, and the first 9 episodes of season two were as close to perfect as you get without being perfet, but from  episode 10 the quality fell a lot. It's not been bad since then, just not as engaging and good. Still enjoying it though.

The Twilight Zone

Very cool drama/psychological thriller/fantasy/sci-fi/suspense/horror-anthology series that I watch ever now and then. Since no episodes have aything to do with the next, it's not something I've been rushing to finish. Very enjoyable series.

The Munsters

A sitcom of the kind I shouldn't like, but still enjoy very much due to its horror-elements. It's just something about those things that gets to me.

The next series on my watchlist is the following, and I'll start with one of these (if I can find them!) after I've finished Twin Peaks:

Kung Fu, with David Carradine in the leading role. Action/martial arts/western series. Only seen a few episodes here and there when I was young, and really liked it back then. Now that I am an even bigger fan of martial arts I should enjoy it even more now.

Zatoichi, with Shintaro Katsu. A jidaigeki series based on the film character by the same name. The films are amazing (well, the 17 or so that I have seen. Will finish the rest before starting on this), so I have high hopes for this series. Most episodes are original, but apparently there's a few sequels to some of the films and a few remakes of the films. Got massive expectations to this one to be honest.

Hammer House of Horror, an anthology horror series. It's Hammer Horror, what more do I need to say? Should be quite exciting!

few days ago i watched Houdini and it was pretty good mini-series. though it seems creators were trying to make it look more like surreal story than biographical story. nonetheless i enjoyed it and recommend to everyone. it's only 2 hours and 25 mins in total, like average movie. oh and the tricks were really cool!

I started Parks and Recreation a few months ago, but I've only made it up to season 3 so far. I'm pretty slow, though, as I tend to marathon a few eps and then go for weeks on end without watching anything.

So far I like it a lot. The characters are all pretty charming/funny. There have been a few dull episodes, but for the most part, the show is pretty hilarious. I never watched the office, but this whole mockumentary style and the way it's shot is great.

Favorite things I've been watching lately are probably Cucumber/Banana and season 2 of Broad City.

Cucumber and Banana are both new British LGBT shows created by the man behind Queer as Folk (Russell T. Davies). Both air back-to-back and share storylines on a bunch of queer people. Banana is just an introductory show to characters featured on Cucumber, each having their story told within 20+ minutes. Cucumber is the main show (which I like a lot more), mostly following a 46-yo gay man failing at life and all the people that are involved in his life somehow. Both are pretty entertaining and easy to watch. There's also a third show called Tofu, but I haven't watched it yet since it's more of a documentary and doesn't add anything to the main shows.

Broad City I had been waiting for ages and this new season is just as good as the first one. There's not much to say about it, it's just really, really good and silly fun. Any show that takes an entire episode to deal with the repercussions of a guy asking a girl to do it with him with a strap-on has my heart.

I'm also addicted to Empire because that soap drama mess is amazing and Taraji P. Henson is killing it.

Twin Peaks has its infamous second season low point, but the last couple of episodes are incredible. It's worth it to hang on till the end.

The only show I've been watching these days was Agent Carter. I was actually amazed how good it was. It started off much better than Agents of Shield. Considering how much of a slow burn Agents of Shield was, Carter gets right into the meat of the show with almost no filler. All the 1940s aesthetics is done well where you're actually watching a tv show that takes place during that time. One thing I loved about the show is how well written Carter is herself. In the Captain America movie, you see what she's capable of, and thankfully the writers fully utilizes her character in this show - keeping her strong. First season lasted 8 episodes and it'd be cruel not to have a 2nd season since there's still a few lingering plot unresolved.

Seen the pilot and two first episodes of Kung Fu, and despite my love for David Carradine I'm disappointed so far. Not at all what I had expected. The series focus on the philosophical side of martial arts, which is fine, but it all gets a bit too standard. So far it's felt like a traditional late 60's, early 70's western drama with a shaolin monk thrown in for good measure. Also, David Carradine wasn't a martial artist, so I didn't expect over the top good fights, but they are so poorly choreographed, directed and executed. The fights offer nowt at all to be honest. I'll give it a whole season because I really want to enjoy this, but so far it's not worked out. However, it's still early in the series though. Might get better any second now, and hopefully it does.

watched new season of House of Cards.

Kevin Spacey's play is something i will always enjoy, especially in this show. his character is a real devil in flesh. those episodes where he was treating Jackie and Claire like shit... wow, that was rad.

also was surpriced they've put russian president V.P. into the plot. V.P. character was obviously taken from the real president - everyone can see where that homophobic tyrant is coming from. even their look is pretty similar. that's why i doubt this season will be ever shown on russian tv. 
not sure how i feel about Doug's storyline and its outcome. it lacked something, imo. i wouldn't mind him die in the end of 2nd season.

Started watching Vikings like two weeks ago and I'm lovin' it, it's really good. Though one of the biggest flaws of this series is that there's only 9 or 10 episodes in each season, pretty short for a series which deals with a historical subject, if you ask me. But then again, it's only my point of view. I enjoy it a lot anyways.

I also would like to start another series, as I'm up to date with those I'm already watching. Any recommendation(s)? I know a lot but only by name, and there are so much that are seemingly good. You can go ahead, I'm not someone who watches a lot of series anyway. I'm even able to mention those I'm watching since there are only a few: AHS, Smallville, Vikings and TWD. I know you lol'd.

I also would like to start another series, as I'm up to date with those I'm already watching. Any recommendation(s)? I know a lot but only by name, and there are so much that are seemingly good. You can go ahead, I'm not someone who watches a lot of series anyway. I'm even able to mention those I'm watching since there are only a few: AHS, Smallville, Vikings and TWD. I know you lol'd.

Here's a few series I enjoy and enjoyed, some are finished while some are on-going. Some have 5-6 seasons, while others are mini-series or anthology series. Just look it up.

The Wire (crime-drama and the best series ever. Finished) 10/10

The Sopranos (crime-drama and one of the very best series ever. Finished) 9/10

Game of Thrones (fantasy-drama. On-going) 9/10

Danger 5 (action-comedy sillyness. On-going) 8/10

Orphan Black (sci-fi drama. On-going) 8/10

Sherlock (crime-drama. On-going) 9/10

Fargo (crime-drama/black comedy. Anthology, so finished, but with a brand new season of something new comming later) 9/10

Band of Brothers (war-drama. Finished) 9/10

True Detective (crime-drama. Anthology, so finished, but with a brand new season of something new comming later) 10/10

The Pacific (war-drama, and the "sister series" of Band of Brothers. Finished) 8/10

The Singing Detective (noir-drama. Finished) 9/10

The Shield (action-crime. Finished) 8/10

Good shit.

I'd recommend SouthLAnd and Six Feet Under. Both finished with five seasons.

SouthLAnd is my favorite crime-drama (it was superb, even if I'm not a big fan of the genre) and SFU is what I consider the best series ever.

Not only have I become quite fond and addicted to 'Orange Is The New Black,' but other Netflix shows which are called 'Lie to me' and 'Dexter' are ever so entertaining. In all honesty, I rarely watch any TV shows recently, and only managed to get a few hours of both in, but I can safely say already that these two shows (and other mentioned ones) are probably the rare American ones I've ever managed to get into. They're both very interesting with how they delve into the situations both shows present, with 'Lie to me*' being incredibly interesting with its body language focus and 'Dexter' being more of an intriguing and thrilling ride due to its main character.

About 'Lie to me' / crime drama / 3 seasons, 38 episodes / January 21, 2009 – January 31, 2011 runtime

Dr. Cal Lightman teaches a course in body language and makes an honest fortune exploiting it. He's employed by various public authorities in various investigations, doing more when the police etc. fail to go the extra mile. So he can afford to constitute a team of his own, which like clients and others has to put up with his mind-games.
- Written by KGF Vissers

About 'Dexter' / drama / 8 seasons, 96 episodes / October 1, 2006 – September 22, 2013

Dexter Morgan, Miami Metro Police Department blood spatter analyst, has a double life. When he's not helping the Homicide division solving murders, he spends his time hunting and killing bad guys that slip through the justice system. He spends his sun-drenched days solving crimes - and moonlit nights committing them. But not to worry, our cool-blooded Dexter doesn't kill just anyone. He reserves his homicidal hobbies to taking only the lives of other killers.

And, just on another note, major love to the only other TV show (excluding the mighty 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S.' which, surely, everyone has heard/watched!) I've ever managed to sit through completely and be utterly impressed and love it... Anyone who hasn't heard or seen 'House' needs to get on it, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. That show is absolutely marvelous; from the script to the directing, casting and acting, to each episode with a different medical case shown and explained as well as amazing story delivery and progression alongside this which only builds up the immense emotional delivery and ending of an incredible show run. Truly magnificant, my favourite TV show ever. I mean, it even has some of my favourite quotes and TV show moments, lol. The sarcasm is strong within this one:

orig-21149907.jpg

Also, Hugh Laurie FTW!

Dexter was good for two seasons, then season three turned up and everything went to shit. Worst season I've ever seen on TV. Lost interest in the series after that.

Digging House, though, but it's got some problems. More or less every single episode throughout the series follows the same patterns and all solutions comes the same way and so on. Things get extremely predictable. Still very enjoyabe, though, and lots of good characters.

^ You should at least check season 4 of Dexter. It's as good (if not better) than season 1. Along with season 2, they're the only ones I truly enjoyed.

I will not check out season 4 of Dexter as season 3 made me hate Dexter, Debra, and the rest of them. So yeah, there's not a change in the world I'll ever watch another episode of Dexter.

Finished with Twin Peaks. Great series, despite a drop in quality in the second half of the second season. First season is nothing short of perfect, and u there with the best of the best (The Wire, True Detective, Les Vampires). A 10/10. Second season starts off great with the first episodes being 9,5/10, but then came the drop. The rest of the episodes ranges between 7's and 8's. But all in all a fantastic series with soem great characters and a mysticism surrounding everything that you just can't help but love. But I believe the series easily could've been shortened down 3-4 episodes without a problem at all. Looking forward to more!

I gave up on Kung Fu. Shame, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't work out.

Next up should be the The Green Hornet serial from 1940, if it ever get finished downloadig. I've got high expectations for this serial. Should be great.

And Better Call Saul with my girlfriend. Got high expectations for this as well.

Seen the first 7 episodes of Better Call Saul and so far I am really impressed. It kinda turned out as I hoped. A lot different than Beaking Bad, but with nods towards the series every now and then. I love how they've included some characters from Beaking Bad, both characters with a big name (aka who had a big(er) role in the series) and small characters, such as the nurse who had to hold back Jessie in season 4. It really makes a big difference. A great mixture of drama and comedy. It's really nice to see his past and how he became who he became. Two thumbs up so far!

I liked Dexter. Until the last season. It really surprised me how it took its own direction rather than sticking with the books. The Walking Dead and Pretty Little Liars are somewhat doing that too (in regards to how things are happening in the comics/books).

I really want to get into Better Call Saul. I watched the first three or four episodes but its really too slow paced for me. Should I continue with it?

Also, is anyone watching the new season of Bates Motel?

I really want to get into Better Call Saul. I watched the first three or four episodes but its really too slow paced for me. Should I continue with it?

The pacing have been the same for all 7 episodes, but it gets better and more interesting as they go deeper into the characters past. But if you feel like it's too slow, then it might not be quite your thing.

Couldn't find a proper version of The Green Hornet serial, so gave up on that for now. However, did find good torrent for Hammer House of Horror and will start watching that as soon as the episodes are down. Should be good for a massive fan of Hammer Horror like myself. Should be very good. Episodes are directed by Alan Gibson ( Dracula A.D. 1972, The Satanic Rites of Dracula), Peter Sasdy (Taste the Blood of Dracula, Countess Dracula, Hands of the Ripper) and Don Sharp (The Kiss of the Vampire, The Face of Fu Manchu, The Brides of Fu Manchu, Rasputin the Mad Monk) among others, and as I love all the films named I've got high expectations. I can't wait to watch this.

Started on Les Revenants with my girlfriend. A couple of episodes in and I am very impressed. I'm actually getting some Twin Peaks-feeling from the atmosphere of the series here and there, which is very cool. Great soundtrack by Mogwai as well. Looking forward to the continuation here.

Started on Les Revenants with my girlfriend. A couple of episodes in and I am very impressed. I'm actually getting some Twin Peaks-feeling from the atmosphere of the series here and there, which is very cool. Great soundtrack by Mogwai as well. Looking forward to the continuation here.

Just watched episode 4. God damn this show is getting good. Lots of twists and turns, and both the plot and characters are getting more and more interesting by the minute.

Agents of Shield started back up for a few weeks now. I hope I'm not the only person here that's watching the show. So far it's been a blast just as season 2 has been. Actually I don't know if this is a continuation of season 2 or the start of season 3. Maybe someone can correct me on that. At the rate these episodes are going, you can see there's definitely gonna be a crossover with Avengers 2.