Sign in to follow this  
Tetora

DIV - SECRET

Wow, that's disappointing to see that no changes were made to at least "TASTE OF LIFE" and "Golden Kinema Gekijou"...

Still looking forward to hearing the rest of the album though. Although I still don't care for the female vocal sampling, "SECRET NIGHT" has grown on me.

Nice review. I don't mind that there are a lot of previously released songs on there, as long as the new ones are at least as good or even better, which they hopefully are. I do think they could've skipped TASTE OF LIFE and ゴールデンキネマ劇場 though, since they were released before the first album and they didn't even make any changes to them.

I do enjoy their lighter, cheerful tunes, so I hope I'll enjoy this album.

Great review, I'd have to agree. I'm actually going to write my official review for VKH-Press later today and I feel like I have a lot to consider with this album.

On it's own, the album is decent and solid. But I feel like when you compare it side by side with Zero One it just... Doesn't measure up. I mean... First of all, I just really don't understand what Taste of Life and Golden Kinema Gekijou are doing on here, of course being that they were released before Zero One and didn't get updated at all. That being said, I LOVE ToL, but I would even say give Aozora ni Parachute a chance to be on an album or something... but maybe that's just me. Additionally, I didn't even like GKG, but I did love B-Side "Pieces." So again it was disappointing to me that GKG was on there instead of maybe Pieces.... 

Anyway, HK was a great single and so was You and Butterfly Dreamer. I feel they all have legitimacy on this album. As well as PoV, but I didn't care for that song as much, it just felt like a generic rock song without much feel or impact. And Justice I couldn't place for the life of me until I realized it was the B-Side from their Sid tribute single.

After all is said and done, there's 7 new tracks, of which about 3 of them are genuinely remarkable but maybe thats just me. Ai no Uta was kind of boring and the fact that it was so short felt like it was an intro that didn't even set the general mood for the album. Story was straight up boring and Rage/Secret Night were both high energy and enjoyable, but again when compared to what I know this band is capable of they just don't leave a mark. 

The best songs are Wing to Heaven, Dearest, and Stars. All of these songs are genuinely uplifting, feel-good, spring time songs which are produced well, composed perfectly, use the electro-rock influences (such as heavy autotune) that I come to expect from them at this point. They really present this opposite viewpoint from Zero One which had darker moments, this album focuses more on the light which is good too... 

But I just don't know if they could really ever top Teddy, Asterios, Cocktail Color, Vanish, and Hotarubi. 

In my opinion the album had so many of the old song's, that even though I love those song's it felt like all the fun and excitement of waiting for an album release then finally getting your chance to listen to the album was taken away by hearing song's that made me wonder if this was the new album or just a compilation of their song's playing. I love DIV so it's hard to say bad thing's about them but I just found it so hard to get into an album that feels like they just wanted a reason to put all the old song's on an album. A lot of people probably wont have a problem with this album but personally it just didn't catch me, plus the track placement had a good amount of old song's back to back so I lost interest very quickly. 

Sign in to follow this