Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

#28: camera obscura by Lycaon

MH Questionnaire of the Week  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How much does sound quality matter?

• What's the point of listening to music if it sounds like shit?
    • I expect a clean sound most of the time but I let the indie bands slide.
    • Bad production doesn't matter (to an extent) if the music is good.
    • I listen to a lot of music and it's never bothered me none!

"Lycaon"http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/103552579/Camera+Obscura.jpg" width="200" />
Artist: Lycaon
Album: camera obscura
Score: :_5/10_:
How can you get wet over something so dry?

Lycaon and I have had an icy relationship ever since they lost Mio and eve and went through their rebellious, adolescent phase. The atomic meltdown that was their "erotic phase" (god, I fucking hate that term) came to an end with 「嘘と女と『    』」 全国流通盤」, and I cheered quite loudly when they decided to drop the overt 'sex sells' antics cum-plastered all over their stupid marketing gimmicks. Even so, their music lacked some of the charm and finesse that Mio and eve brought to the band. So apart from the forgettable 「マゾヒストレッドサーカス」, I haven't touched anything by this band in years. We've come to an understanding that they're not the same band they once were, and I'm not the same fan I used to be, and maybe it was better if we parted ways.

So for no particular reason at all, I decided to give "camera obscura" a chance to see where the quintet's heads are at. If I were to describe the sound, I would describe it as a mix of old and new Lycaon in the best way possible. There are some hints of the alternative metal style honed on "Royal Order", the EDM bass drops of 「マゾヒストレッドサーカス」, some of that good 80's rock vibe that I know guitarist Satoshi is fond of, and thankfully none of that erotic bullshit. Even when they decide to get raunchy, they do it in a more palatable manner. It really does offer something for new and old fans alike: tracks like "marionette", "悪女の微笑", and "追憶" remain somewhat memorable far after I finished the album. One of the things they did right with this album was reduction of harsh vocals. That's not where Yuuki's strengths are and by shedding those weaknesses he maintains the most consistent performance across the entire album. This is when Lycaon sticks to their guns and produce the quality rock music I know they can. "marionette" in particular deserves extra mention. I really like these cabaret and oriental influences that are slowly working their way into visual kei and I think more bands should try their hands at it.

There are two main reasons I can't accept "camera obscura" as is. One is the abysmal production. The guitars sound absolutely dead, and there's two of them. There's no punch to them. The treble is also way too crisp and it makes the cymbals sound like wooden blocks ("悪女の微笑"), fuzz ("アネモネ"), and other degrees of sounds I would only describe as "not cymbals". Whether the guitars are oppressive or energetic, it's the main instrument and when it's so dead a lot of potential gems here fall flat.

When the aforementioned production isn't siphoning the life out of the music, and after all those pointless interludes were deleted, the reason why I can't accept this album is because a lot of the songs are just average. "ILLUSION" comes out of left field like an Arlequin reject with that bizarre dubstep breakdown that ruins an otherwise listenable song. That would have/could have/should have been punishing riff near the end of "liar" should have hit one note a bit sharper and sounds off. "メランコリック" feels like filler. I really want to like "Dark Night", and I like the Yousei Teikoku influence they were channeling, but the bad production and the really fake sounding piano ruins it. The similarly fake piano in "Rouge" steps all over the band and doesn't fit in at all. Worst of all is the abomination that is "馬鹿ね。". It starts off interesting and quickly deteriorates to the barest of alternative rock melodies, sprinkled with some electronic effects until the embarrassing trance chorus. I cringe in horror every time it comes on. Couple in the five pointless interludes, and quickly a large chunk of the album does not please me. What about the other tracks? Apart from "アネモネ", I don't remember any of them. It's the token ballad on an album, and reminds me of "結晶華". They somehow managed to procure a real piano for this one, but the ballad is drawn out for no reason and feels forced.

Putting all of this together, I can't really say this is a great album because I didn't enjoy much of it. But I can say that it's good enough when comparing it against the average visual release, and it's head and shoulders above their last album so I guess Lycaon and I can be civil. They're actually trying to be a rock band again and I can respect them for that. Their music is lacking a particular finesse and direction that I felt they once had a long, long time ago, but it doesn't suck. I just don't find it all that compelling. I might not even remember I listened to this by the end of the year.

Camera Obscura
Artist: Lycaon
Album: Camera Obscura
Score: :_2/10_:
alt_title

With a title like Camera Obscura, lots of interesting takes of what the concept would mean for this album came to mind. Sadly, from the first track it was apparent Lycaon went for the most direct translation. I was more than a little disheartened. The first half of this album did very little to raise my spirits, either. First and foremost, the levels in the mix and production are horrific. It's muddy, discordant, and downright unbearable in parts. Case in point, "Dark Night" has obnoxious levels of echo that clash with the high end string backing tracks. It's so bad I can barely follow any of the other instruments in the song until about half way through. I've heard a better mix come out of a 4 track recorder in a teenager's basement.

And while "Dark Night" is the worst offender, it's got company with most of this album suffering the same fate. "追憶 " has a crunchy guitar riff that should be ripping this album wide open, but instead I had to fight through mass amounts of reverb effects to hear just about anything. "Liar", "君を壊すガラスの衝動 ", "Rouge", "ILLUSION", and "メランコリック" are snooze-fests full of recycled garbage that go nowhere and are so painfully bland it hurt to listen to them, yet I still can't find traits to distinguish any of the songs from each other after the album is over. The lack of originality for most of this album is jarring, and when it does have something interesting happening it's suffocated by cheap production.

"悪女の微笑 " is in a battle for my favorite Camera Obscura song next to "ジプシー". And partially because its recording quality is leagues above the rest of the album. You can hear every instrument clearly and no one thing is eclipsing anything else. It's a decent song and the only one that made me even think about headbanging along to it. "馬鹿ね。" , while not as strong in composition, shares the better production value with the other singles. I could do without the chorus driving the song into the ground by the end. It's a fun chorus to start with, but in this case less would have been more. Then there's songs like "marionette" and "アネモネ" that found a way to survive in the pit of bad recordings. Something about both songs is stripped down and less complicated than the others so they end up better for it and loads more memorable.

I stopped checking for this band some years ago, around their 2009 release Chains of collar, because their nasally vocalist doesn't sit well with me. His voice is like a hybrid of Hakuei's (Penicillin) vocal pitch and the nasal tone of Ryutaro (Plastic Tree) without the edge or control of either. And this album makes me that much more grateful I didn't waste my time keeping up with Lycaon. This is, astoundingly, a step down from what they were even back then. Someone should have cut out all of these asinine SEs and saved the money to have the album mastered by a better studio engineer. I am usually more forgiving of visual indie bands for lo-fi sounding works, but this is not Lycaon's first album. This is 3 albums in; this is a band familiar with how a music studio works for the last seven years. And what makes it so annoying is there are select songs on this album that have better production. So why not all?

Lycaon grabbed my attention from the get go due to insanely catchy choruses and one hell of a beautiful vocalist (yes, both visually and vocally), and they've given us all of this, once again, in a juicy fifty-six minute album consisting of eighteen tracks. The opener has a sort of Halloween sound with various monster cackles and screams that change into a healthy dose of dubstep, a feature that we've come to expect from the band. The dark sound flows remarkably well into '追憶,' which cleverly includes strings much like the first SE to carry on with this creepy atmosphere. This sullen tone continues into 'Dark Night.' I found this one too chaotic, but 'Liar' makes up for this. This track has that reminiscent choppy sound found very often in their songs. It's the repetitive chugging of guitars I have grown quite fond of. This sound welcomes the catchiest chorus in the whole album. Even though the 'Engrish' inclusion is rather unpleasant to many, the tiny dose of 'Liar' before Yuuki's whispers get to our ears makes for a very appealing chorus. Right after this kick-ass song, we get the first single of the album, 'Shadow.' Their latest batch of singles were my favourite single tracks of 2014, and even in this massive tracklist, their appeal isn't diminished one bit. We come to the mid part of the album with the second SE insertion. The eerie vocalisation continues with, fittingly, a camera clicking in this one, while a young girl's whispers echo. This ends with the camera clicking and film rolling.

We then come into track seven, introduced by the little girl's creepy chuckles. The shortest track of the album, 'marionette,' is impressive on many levels. It's heavy, with brilliantly set out drums and guitars chugging together in a violent yet coherent manner. 'marionette' is simple and easy to follow. This is made ever so obvious when thinking back to the previous mess that is 'Dark Night.' It's memorable and a definite stand out point. Unfortunately, this cannot be said for the following track. While its progression is just as fluid as 'marionette,' '君を壊すガラスの衝動' is the least memorable song of the album. It's likely thanks to Yuuki's orgasmic 'ahs' during the climax that I didn't dose off. And the next track doesn't help put the hype train back on track. The rather disagreeably placed third SE follows (after just two songs, really?), which is of a jazzy nature and quickly rides into 'Rouge;' yes, a jazzy tune. It's a very appreciated sound after the bombardment of hard hitters previously. Yuuki's exotic tone really makes this one to pay attention to, much like the final song of this album. The more cleverly placed 'ahs' in this one are much more rocking with the beat itself. Now things are definitely coming back together as we get to the next single track, '馬鹿ね。.' While its loudness will probably put some listeners off, it's a thrilling listen and very fun. It's another track placement I approve of greatly, introducing the only ballad to the album, 'アネモネ.' While not an impressive ballad, it's a lovely ice breaker yet again for its much slower tempo against the quicker tracks. It's also my favourite song when it comes to the tracks that flow into the SE's.

Moving onto '売女 -SE-,' it has an almost pirate like sound to it, and mixes the eerieness of the first SE's sound along with the girl whispering again. The last single track, '悪女の微笑,' slaps us in the face and picks us back up with high energy. Who can really deny those whip sounds? Saucy. The album carries on strong with another powerful song, 'ILLUSION.' It's similar to 'marionette' with its straightforward structure, but it may take a couple spins until you're digging it since it's not as impactful. This is very much the same case for the following track, 'メランコリック.' There's just enough diversity in each song to keep these last few tracks from sounding too similar. And we finally get a little shriek from Yuuki after... fifteen tracks. And if you now ignore the overused SE's, the album would've ended on a very positive note with 'ジプシー.' Now this is the type of seductive Lycaon we need more of! With a very passionate tone to it thanks to the tango sound and those lovely, attention-grabbing castanets, this one is actually much more inviting to dance to than when the guys 'drop the bass' in their louder songs. What's more, this newly heard sound of theirs does wonders to Yuuki's already sensual voice. His voice makes for a very exotic track without the guys needing to use the gimmicks they once did before when it comes to trying to achieve this sexy sound. On this best note to end with, let's forget about the fifth SE for now.

If you're already a big fan, consider yourself sold on this and addicted for sure (I can see fellow Lycaon lovers doing a great job in pushing this love as already witnessed daily; shoutout to @blackdoll). The track placements are hit and miss, with some very overused interludes. However, each song manages to stand by themself even when being suffocated by a lengthy album. What's even more surprising is that the album seems to end all too quickly! But, if you're new to them, then, steer clear of the hype for now. While this is most definitely an improvement in their musicial direction being more accepted, this is a release with too much of everything they've got to give in it. Enjoyment might not be the main problem with this if you do try, but just managing to get through it all might be asking for too much.

Score: :_8/10_:

"Liar", "君を壊すガラスの衝動", "Rouge", "ILLUSION", and "メランコリック" are snooze-fests full of recycled garbage that go nowhere and are so painfully bland it hurt to listen to them

'君を壊すガラスの衝動' is the least memorable song of the album. It's likely thanks to Yuuki's orgasmic 'ahs' during the climax that I didn't dose off.

omg D:

That was actually my favorite track on the album. My heart...it aches :(

lol, seriously, though. I thought the album was neither as bad as ender thought nor as good as beni put it. I would have rated it closer to what Zess did, although our general thoughts may differ. The production is definitely pretty crappy, but I found the songwriting of this album much more effective than whatever their last album was. I can't recall anything from that album - it's just one big mental blank. But with this one, I think the feel and narrative of the album will stick with me in the long-run. The effort they put into it is palpable - even if the sound they were going for wasn't as keenly realized as it could have been from a production standpoint. 

It's pretty interesting to see everyone's reactions to the album. The opinions may be all over the place, but this is one case where I can completely understand each side of the argument.

OMG yes this was good in a comedic way like Black Touge's comment about Infant annihilator. anyway

Lycaon and I have had an icy relationship ever since they lost Mio and eve and went through their rebellious, adolescent phase. The atomic meltdown that was their "erotic phase" (god, I fucking hate that term) came to an end with 「嘘と女と『    』」 全国流通盤」, and I cheered quite loudly when they decided to drop the overt 'sex sells' antics cum-plastered all over their stupid marketing gimmicks. Even so, their music lacked some of the charm and finesse that Mio and eve brought to the band. So apart from the forgettable 「マゾヒストレッドサーカス」, I haven't touched anything by this band in years. We've come to an understanding that they're not the same band they once were, and I'm not the same fan I used to be, and maybe it was better if we parted ways.

Actual it ended with 悪徳の栄え. Lol as i said before it's the same band just different sound, and ajustment on the vocals for that sound. Same drive, same force of an alpha of alpha werewolves....  but to each there own interpretation or reception of Lovedrug. 

I would describe it as a mix of old and new Lycaon and thankfully none of that erotic bullshit.

said that in my review, but you sure about that second part.

One of the things they did right with this album was reduction of harsh vocals. That's not where Yuuki's strengths are and by shedding those weaknesses he maintains the most consistent performance across the entire album.

Like what do you and disposable want from him? some cruddy slipknot, or how about some pathetic generic touhou harsh vocals. and if he gets lower (as shown in my pitch change) he just become bland blah blahh who gives a fuck. And you own Chains of collar, i was so disappointed when i read this. I mean it's not like this is Infernal Revulsion.

"ILLUSION" comes out of left field like an Arlequin reject with that bizarre dubstep breakdown that ruins an otherwise listenable song.

Oh please Arlequin, so 2 years ago and in their short time in the spotlight they wish they could have made a song that would last like this. Ha that's why we got lasers and they don't. We gun them bitches down.

the ballad feels forced.

I can say that it's good enough when comparing it against the average visual release, and it's head and shoulders above their last album so I guess Lycaon and I can be civil. They're actually trying to be a rock band again .

agree about the ballad, but as i said before, beyond visual kei, all albums the same in goodness, and when the hell did they stop?.

shoutout to @blackdoll).

hey!

OMG yes this was good in a comedic way like Black Touge's comment about Infant annihilator. anyway

Actual it ended with 悪徳の栄え. Lol as i said before it's the same band just different sound, and ajustment on the vocals for that sound. Same drive, same force of an alpha of alpha werewolves....  but to each there own interpretation or reception of Lovedrug.

Like I said, I haven't followed Lycaon in years. That's nice to know for future reference though thanks.

said that in my review, but you sure about that second part.

If I wasn't sure about it I wouldn't have written it.

Like what do you and disposable want from him? some cruddy slipknot, or how about some pathetic generic touhou harsh vocals. and if he gets lower (as shown in my pitch change) he just become bland blah blahh who gives a fuck. And you own Chains of collar, i was so disappointed when i read this. I mean it's not like this is Infernal Revulsion.

You very clearly missed something. Please point out where my criticism of Yuuki is. I don't see it.

I understand that you enjoy Lycaon very, very much, but your fandom has crossed the range of understandable and leapt into the realm of fanatical. It's gotten to the point where you're angry at me for not validating your opinion, but nothing you said in response to my review makes any type of sense. It's like you didn't even read it. Lycaon can be your favorite band but it doesn't mean that they're the best band in the world and that everything they do is flawless. The fact that you are completely incapable of seeing the faults in this band amuses me to no end.

You very clearly missed something. Please point out where my criticism of Yuuki is. I don't see it.

One of the things they did right with this album was reduction of harsh vocals. That's not where Yuuki's strengths are and by shedding those weaknesses he maintains the most consistent performance across the entire album.

Like I said, I haven't followed Lycaon in years. That's nice to know for future reference though thanks.

If I wasn't sure about it I wouldn't have written it.

I understand that you enjoy Lycaon very, very much, but your fandom has crossed the range of understandable and leapt into the realm of fanatical. It's gotten to the point where you're angry at me for not validating your opinion, but nothing you said in response to my review makes any type of sense. It's like you didn't even read it. Lycaon can be your favorite band but it doesn't mean that they're the best band in the world and that everything they do is flawless. The fact that you are completely incapable of seeing the faults in this band amuses me to no end.

You say that there wasn't any erotic bullshitt but yet you haven't really listen to them. Where as myself, a slave, can sense and smell the erotic trash in this album. 

I didn't know "having a laugh" and being disappointed in someone meant being angry, I thought i made it clear in my countless CO affiliated status updates that my mind is made up and i could care less or even bother to get angry about someone liking my Lovedrug's newest release or any other for that matter. it it show as i didn't bother with the harsh words after yours and only pick out what i presumed to be holes in your review instead going full blast with reply/reacting to everything. i even liked it, except for the harsh vocals part where it's like you threw 40 percent of the metal Lycaon you said liked. Followed that with asking how would you have Yuuki do harsh, suggesting that anything else would destroy them and the foundation.

by "Fanatical" was that a go at my colorful imagery/imagination? I could say the same thing about you in that the Lycaon you "liked" never existed.

You say that there wasn't any erotic bullshitt but yet you haven't really listen to them. Where as myself, a slave, can sense and smell the erotic trash in this album.

And I, a filthy gaijin who understands a grand total of four Japanese words, made a completely random guess. I based my guess off of the amount of MIDI horns, faux-ska metal, and lyrics so sexually suggestive I don't need them translated. In all honesty, this album got a point and a half off the bat simply for not being "that album".

I didn't now "having a laugh" and being disappointed in someone meant being angry, I thought i made it clear in my countless CO affiliated status updates that my mind is made up and i could care less or even bother to get angry about someone liking my Lovedrug's newest release or any other for that matter. it it show as i didn't bother with the harsh words after yours and only pick out what i presumed to be holes in your review instead going full blast with reply/reacting to everything. i even liked it, except for the harsh vocals part where it's like you threw 40 percent of the metal Lycaon you said liked. Followed that with asking how would you have Yuuki do harsh, suggesting that anything else would destroy them and the foundation.

That's not what it looks like to me.

By throw away 40% of the Lycaon I liked what are you talking about? Even on the one album of theirs I like (Royal Order), I still feel that Royal Order, Miss Devil Inside, and **88** are the weakest three on the album. I would rather hear the band play more music like Lily, Alejandro, Pain Killer, Mad Neurosis Child, etc. Yuuki can use the harsh vocals to accentuate his clean singing but it's very one-dimensional so he should leave it at that. Because he did exactly this for camera obscura, I gave Yuuki praise for being consistent. I actually like his voice when he has it under control. Which is why I say I don't really understand what you're talking about. My opinions are entirely consistent throughout.

And yes I bought chains of collar but how does that tie in to anything? I only bought it because stylelover was the first person to sell Type B at anywhere near a reasonable price and that was the only way I was going to hear enslavement beauty at the time. If I had known that it was such an average track I would have never bought it.

by "Fanatical" was that a go at my colorful imagery/imagination? I could say the same thing about you in that the Lycaon you "liked" never existed.

I would love to hear you explain this one.

And I, a filthy gaijin who understands a grand total of four Japanese words, made a completely random guess. I based my guess off of the amount of MIDI horns, faux-ska metal, and lyrics so sexually suggestive I don't need them translated. In all honesty, this album got a point and a half off the bat simply for not being "that album".

So your talking Lyrics then? If that's the case ok then.

By throw away 40% of the Lycaon I liked what are you talking about? Even on the one album of theirs I like (Royal Order), I still feel that Royal Order, Miss Devil Inside, and **88** are the weakest three on the album. I would rather hear the band play more music like Lily, Alejandro, Pain Killer, Mad Neurosis Child, etc. Yuuki can use the harsh vocals to accentuate his clean singing but it's very one-dimensional so he should leave it at that. Because he did exactly this for camera obscura, I gave Yuuki praise for being consistent. I actually like his voice when he has it under control. Which is why I say I don't really understand what you're talking about. My opinions are entirely consistent throughout.

And yes I bought chains of collar but how does that tie in to anything? I only bought it because stylelover was the first person to sell Type B at anywhere near a reasonable price and that was the only way I was going to hear enslavement beauty at the time. If I had known that it was such an average track I would have never bought it.

Yes because at the time they were do hard metal which would really have hit the ball to a home run with out the harsh. Basically the unique harsh kept Lycaon from being boring or just some vk hard band, it added that punch that took them that height where i placed them. Obviously when the power dropped they were not need and shouldn't be as powerful. Those are all Fucking A tracks but the screamers shouldn't be overlook or put down.

chain of collar either type had the best screams and as someone who liked them would cherish it and know the importance of Yuuki's harsh. 

That's not what it looks like to me.

I already said it really. This backbone or w/e they had is still here. So your perception of Lycaon back them was baseless and their old sound is just what you preferred.

oh my goodness.....sUCH a beautiful way.... to execute the english language...it would even make shAKESPEARE'S NIPPLES HARDEN

oh my goodness.....sUCH a beautiful way.... to execute the english language...it would even make shAKESPEARE'S NIPPLES HARDEN

oh go back to your drugs.

I already said it really. This backbone or w/e they had is still here. So your perception of Lycaon back them was baseless and their old sound is just what you preferred.

Perception of music is an inherently subjective matter. To call my opinions baseless because you don't agree with them is childish. Please just learn to disagree with people's opinions instead of trying to ~explain~ why I'm wrong.

Perception of music is an inherently subjective matter. To call my opinions baseless because you don't agree with them is childish. Please just learn to disagree with people's opinions instead of trying to ~explain~ why I'm wrong.

tumblr_lk2piksT4H1qj60veo1_400_zpslqjbtt

is that the guy from beast? and lol i love your sig

btw zess if you could review Royal order and ambrosia that would be great since you know the bands dieing and all. it might help me ummmm you know too. 

Upon further investigation it is possible that they were using synths to fill up the songs so they don't have to show off like they "used to." though that's not a bad thing considering how they still show that they still can if they want to. Also considering the market and how lil uzi and suicide boys are rock now less guitar could be marketing. Yuuki is currently incorporating rap now too.  Still the review is way off, case and point not being able to tell the difference between Lycaon and Alequin and calling it a reject speaks for it's self as some sort of prejudice/bias against the band. And "trying to be rock again" speaks to the ignorance as Jesus, kakusei, rose, amaoto no rondo, ect.... Lastly this album is really a throw back album mixed with Malice Mizer/Mana-sama. its cool they still manage to slip in their 90's VK influence that they have till this day (Baiser, la'mule) this time choosing Malice.

14 hours ago, blackdoll said:

Upon further investigation it is possible that they were using synths to fill up the songs so they don't have to show off like they "used to." though that's not a bad thing considering how they still show that they still can if they want to. Also considering the market and how lil uzi and suicide boys are rock now less guitar could be marketing. Yuuki is currently incorporating rap now too.  Still the review is way off, case and point not being able to tell the difference between Lycaon and Alequin and calling it a reject speaks for it's self as some sort of prejudice/bias against the band. And "trying to be rock again" speaks to the ignorance as Jesus, kakusei, rose, amaoto no rondo, ect.... Lastly this album is really a throw back album mixed with Malice Mizer/Mana-sama. its cool they still manage to slip in their 90's VK influence that they have till this day (Baiser, la'mule) this time choosing Malice.

I posted this over five years ago. Are you still stuck on this?

this thread is bringing up so much community trauma judging by initial l's current creative epilepsy

wdu bring it up again blackdoll we aren't getting good shit back ever again from them