Sign in to follow this  
Peace Heavy mk II

Bands You Hated and Then Realized You Don't Anymore

kamomekamome

-Their vocalist had always been an absolute turnoff for me, but I guess their sound finally started to click with me after their 2013 album.

before I got really into Jmusic I guess I hated MAXIMUM THE HORMONE

few years ago there was lynch I didn't like, the song AMBIVALENT IDEAL didn't work on me, then I heard Judgement and A Gleam In a Eye and Ambivalent Ideal sounded different and became one of my favorite.

The most hated "feelings reversing" memory I have must be NINGEN OK, I discovered them lived and the intro bore me as hell so I left (it was a festival), one year later I listen their full album and SHIT what have I done!

Her name in blood and plasticzooms actually. I tried them both about a year and a half before I really got in to them. For her name in blood, the vocals just didn't match my taste but later down the road my musical interests took a turn and now they're one of my favorites. For plasticzooms it was the same but I think it was their musical change that caughtny attention later because I still don't favor too much before critical factor. 

Kuroyume and Breakerz because of the guys' voices. I got past that and focused on the music.

Nocturnal Bloodlust, Diru, Avanchick, Maximum the Hormone and probably other bands with lots of screaming that made me go "no, no, nope" at first until I gave them a second (or third, or fourth) chance.

Kaya, once I got past the shocking (to me at the time) fact that he wasn't only pretending to be drag.

Less of a band and more of a person; gotta admit, couldn't stand Tsuzuku's voice for years. And I mean, I tried more than once. I tried when he was Genki and I heard everyone raving about him and VanessA. I tried again when I was only half paying attention to the scene and Mejibray did a cover of Cage and I legitimately had no idea Tsuzuku and Genki were the same person at that point but I'd heard Mejibray's name pop up and people had good things to say about them, and again, I couldn't handle his voice at all. I was still super iffy when I gave them another shot in 2015 after I moved to Japan. Then on a whim I saw Mejibray was playing like a half an hour away from me so I kind of sighed and said 'why the hell not?' and then somehow I fell in love and it was like I suddenly got the appeal of his voice. Like, when I went back to listened to the music I'd tried before, I could still see why I hadn't liked it then, but now I love it.

I say it's because Mejibray is a band that's way better experienced live, although some tiny part of me suspects brainwashing was involved, lol. I'm kind of glad it panned out the way that it did in the long run, though - like I can acknowledge the band's faults and why people wouldn't like them even if they are one of my favorites now. (Honestly what boggles my mind more than haters are 'fans' who say the nastiest stuff about the band, but that's a whole other topic.)

"Hated" is probably a little strong in this case, but the telephones. It's funny, because they have so many things I love going for them (energetic performances, engrish lyrics, super high-pitched male vocals, a silly sense of humour, cheesy 80s influences...etc.), but I really didn't like I Hate Disco or Monkey Disco at first, and those were always the first songs that came up when I looked into them, so for years I couldn't understand the appeal.

Then I watched the videos for Keep Your Disco and Don't Stop the Move, Keep On Dancing and some live stuff and all of a sudden the other tracks started sounding good. Well, I still think Monkey Disco is right on the edge of being too ridiculous, but yeah...

Edited by violetchain

It will be Xaa-Xaa for me. I couldn't get into them because of songs like "Shinitai", but I really like what they are releasing now.

Also Clowd. Vocals were a big turn off but the music is great.

I never liked Kiryu. I didn't like them when they were new. Still, I check back in every few years with stuff I didn't like. I kept giving them chances because my friends would rave about how good they are. I never liked a single thing I heard, even if I asked friends for recommendations. Well, it took me how many years? I watched some PVs a few weeks ago and actually liked it. 

tbh? nocturnal bloodlust. their western sound was such a turn-off for me originally. i downloaded their omnigod album and left it sitting in the dust for a good couple of months and would skip majority of the songs that came on shuffle... but after a while of not skipping the songs, i started to really enjoy them, despite the western sounds. i think i really fell in love with hiro's vocals, especially his high screams, and then started to do more research on the band and involve myself and they turned out to be one of my all-time faves ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You may all hate me for this but DIR EN GREY. I first listened "ash" and I was like this band is terrible. a few weeks later, I heard "cage" and started to give them a try. then, I heard "yokan"...then just kept going and now "ash" is one of my favorite songs lol

Also Div, found them boring at first and vocalists had a small range.

Aicle. so chaotic and vocalists was terrible

Crimson Shiva/SHIVA 

@hirokigot me addicted to Mermaid Misery but I refused to listen to more stuff because I had heard something by them years ago and it had a lot of screaming and I was not the least bit interested.  BUT THEN they released a song on that compilation album that I was really into. So within the last month, I listened to 90% of their stuff and was really surprised by how much I love the vocals. Like I still think the vocals are deep and "disgusting" but his voice is somehow so hot as well. Like it's weird so I'm like into it. LOLkillme

I didn't like Kirito's voice (which I listened to when Angelo first started) but then I listened to Calvary a few years later because they were advertising the single in some live stream I was watching and I was like wat. Then I started liking Angelo and PIERROT lol

Tbh DADAROMA, at first I didn't like Oboreru Sakana but then Dadaism #1 came and I was in love.

Used to dislike Kaggra because I thought they were boring in my first wave of VK interest. Then, two or so years ago after not trying them in ages, and after a lot of years of maturing my ears, I am super into their (old) stuff!

Edited by reminiscing2004

Nocturnal Bloodlust.

At first I accidentally found them at their very-very beginning, but just passed them. Year or two later happened to listen them/see their PV and thought that the band resembled too much western metal bands. And third time my friend made me listen few songs again couple of times - this was year 2014 as they finally hit me :'D

Dir En Grey. Obscure's video was my introduction, yeah... I just wasn't amused. They have way better songs, that one is so overrated.

X Japan.

Ladybaby, I really can't explain this one. 

Edited by frozen_bug

Buck-Tick, L'Arc en Ciel, Dir en Grey, D.I.D., early Mucc and some old-school bands, such as Rouage and Deshabillz...

A song can change someone's view of a band. TRUE FACT for all the cases mentioned here.

The GazettE. Unlike most, the GazettE was not my starter band. I got into Vkei through CrowXClass, Vampire Rose, ACE, and Oz. But, I was often told how legendary the GazettE were, but whenever I was pointed to their music, it was stuff like "The invisible wall" or "Chizuru", which didn't tickle my fancy any. I was thinking to myself "What's so great about these guys? It's not that unique. They must be popular because they're major label." (I was such a hipster at the time..)

Fast forward to a year later, and while searching for Kiryu's "Onigokko", I accidentally clicked the music video for "Sentimental Na Onigokko" by the GazettE, and I liked it, a lot. I literally have not heard anything like that before. So I was surprised to find out it was the GazettE. I soon checked out their other early stuff, and found they used to be quite creative. 

I now know why they're legendary. It's just, no one pointed to what made them legendary. Songs like "Shiikureta Haru Kawarenu Haru", and "Anata no Tame no Kono Inochi", being both unique and widely influential on visualkei. 

While I don't care anything for the newer stuff, because it just doesn't catch my ears, the older stuff is pretty good. 

Hmm... well, truth be told, I wasn't that fond of Dir en Grey when I first heard them. I was a snooty 13 year old, and I thought that "Obscure" was a Korn ripoff. Fast forward three years, and I was sporting a shirt with a cartoon Macabre-era Kyo on the front.

Edited by robkun

Nocturnal Bloodlust. They music was disturbing me, but one day I gave them a second chance, and I realized, that Nokubura is freakin' awesome.

Sign in to follow this